OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Arnaud,

Have you tried any other thunderbolt devices (e.g., TB to ethernet, TB to FireWire, TB to DVI)?

If you boot with the device powered up and plugged into the thunderbolt port, does the drive appear elsewhere under a different protocol? Can you see it in Disk Utility?

I tried many device and none show up in OSX in any way. I managed to install Windows 7 and the thunderbolt device show up fine over there. So there is really an issue with OSX not able to see the thunderbolt bridge or something. Really frustrating...

I've changed the Thunderbolt BIOS setting from 32 to 64 bits and I manage to mount (via TB) a Sonnett expansion box equipped with a Kona 3G, a Sonnett card with 2 SSD in RAID 0 or a RedRocket and have the different cards working just fine.

In System Info I see the cards as PCI cards but not TB connected. In the TB tag the system say explicitly that there's nothing attached but cards appears as PCI and they are working fine at TB speed.

I'll try to connect a TB hard drive next week.

EVGA GTX680 4GB went up with the 4GB with web driver at first try.

The Dlink DWA-556 wifi card (I boughted 2 years ago when I was trying my first hack from Voldemort buyer's guide) works straight without any additional driver.

There's somewhere a more step by step guide to patch the audio? I've got the QUO patch but I'm not able to make it working, Terminal answer me "there's no such a file/directory" every time.

I've changed the Thunderbolt BIOS setting from 32 to 64 bits and I manage to mount (via TB) a Sonnett expansion box equipped with a Kona 3G, a Sonnett card with 2 SSD in RAID 0 or a RedRocket and have the different cards working just fine.

In System Info I see the cards as PCI cards but not TB connected. In the TB tag the system say explicitly that there's nothing attached but cards appears as PCI and they are working fine at TB speed.

I'll try to connect a TB hard drive next week.

EVGA GTX680 4GB went up with the 4GB with web driver at first try.

The Dlink DWA-556 wifi card (I boughted 2 years ago when I was trying my first hack from Voldemort buyer's guide) works straight without any additional driver.

There's somewhere a more step by step guide to patch the audio? I've got the QUO patch but I'm not able to make it working, Terminal answer me "there's no such a file/directory" every time.

Could you follow the instructions and then post a screenshot of the entire process. We should be able to get you straightened out. Command+Shift+4 then select the portion of the screen with Terminal.

I tried many device and none show up in OSX in any way. I managed to install Windows 7 and the thunderbolt device show up fine over there. So there is really an issue with OSX not able to see the thunderbolt bridge or something. Really frustrating...

As ILL referenced, can you confirm your thunderbolt settings in the BIOS?

Does boot camp work btw?

Boot camp is for installing windows on genuine apple hardware. Not applicable for the Quo board.

Does anybody have the audio kext for Mountain Lion on this mobo? The audio stopped working after I upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Thanks.

Can you clarify which BIOS you have installed? 10.8.5 requires both the patched kext as well as 801M or greater to avoid audio distortion.

Status update :

H3A.739 on 10.8.4

Sleep, shutdown issue resolved (Parrallels Desktop kext from MBP was preventing power managment to work correctly)

Wake from Bluetooth works

WLAN works, Wake on Bluetooth works

Firewire 400 works (tested with M-Audio FW400 and external FireWire hard drive)

USB 2 device in USB 3 port works (I don't have any USB 3 device)

Don't have a Thunderbolt device to test

Apps that uses AppleID are working (iTunes,Message)

Still to come: Overclocking

More to come (have to get the hardware first) :

WiFi

Discrete graphics

HWMonitor & Sensors work ... except ambient temp which is stuck @ 127 Celsius

Are you using Chameleon/Clover as bootloader or did you do a straightforward native install after burning 801M? If no bootloader, did you install the whole hwsensors package including the supplied fakesmc?

TIA.

Here's the email I just sent to Sales@quocomputer.com:

Subject: Z77MX-QUO-AOS web-page: two VERY important specs missing on - please add..

Hi quo wizards

on http://quocomputer.com/shop/z77mx-quo-aos/, Specifications Tab, please add:

• RAM: number of slots/ type of RAM/ max. RAM
  • on-board graphics chip: which exact one? ATI xxxx DDRx ....

Please send this essential info to me via reply email asap (before adding it to the web-page).

Thank you,

I did some research on the iNet, and all I could find is that the Z77MX-QUO-AOS has 4 RAM slots ..

Not knowing how long it will take them to respond: anybody who knows, would you please spare the 20 seconds and post this essential data in here :)?

Thank you very much,

Bugs

thanks folks for the prompt replies! In the meantime I even received a reply from the QUO-Team (on a Saturday, neat :) ):

RAM slots 4 - max ram 32gb DDR3 1600

[edited/ corrected] Onboard graphics support is via i5 or i7 CPUs which have Intel HD4000 integrated, e.g. 3570, 3770, 3770k, 3770s, and 3750k.

[EDIT 1] the person from QUO created two typos here as it seems, one for sure:

1. 3750k --> 3570k
  2. 3770 --> 3770s, which is the one they offer on their web-site. Nevertheless, the 3770 does exist, too, and does fire up the HD4000 grfx, too

[EDIT 2] confirmation from QUO: Yes, that is a typo; Yes, 3770 also has Intel HD4000

I did a quick research on the iNet and could not find any info on i7 37xx HD4000 grfx memory amount, and kind .. do the 37xx CPU/GPU combos have grfx RAM built in, and if so, how much, or is the HD4000 based on SHARED memory, drawing its memory usage 100% from the regular RAM modules in the slots? And if do, is that assigned dynamically, and is there a max. range?

I also scanned the e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf (thanks for the link - should I have stumbled across that browsing their homepage?) but did not find ANY reference on how grfx memory works, either, and would be delighted about some insights.

Sorry, I admit I am not on the cutting edge with all the new kind of hardware, due to lack of time, so I appreciate being taught a bit here!

Gracias,

Bugs

[EDIT]: I found http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/ Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor SPECIFICATIONS

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)     32 GB
Memory Types     DDR3-1333/1600
# of Memory Channels     2
Max Memory Bandwidth     25.6 GB/s

so obviously the HD4000 is based on shared RAM ..

How does it work? Do I have to ASSIGN the amount of grfx RAM in the UEFI BIOS, and all of that is statically subducted from the av. memory RAM, not being av. for it, then? Or does the GPU draw its required RAM dynamically from the installed memory modules?

FYI, the build will be used for heavy Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Video (Final Cut Pro etc.), so I'm trying to assess if the HD4000 will be strong enough, or if a better PCIe grfx card should be purchased right away.

In the meantime I learned that the Intel HD4000 is NOT AT ALL a high-profile grfx chip! It's OK for let's say watching a movie or extremely light gaming, but anything beyond that and esp. video production are NOT possible w/ it. Some quotes:

"The HD 4000 has no dedicated memory what so ever but does use up to 256kb of the CPU's L3 cache."

"The intel HD 4000 integrated graphics shares memory with your regular memory. A certain proportion will be shared memory for the integrated graphics to use."

"HD 4000 default shared memory = 64MB"

"Intel HD 4000 has 1720MB shared memory max. with the i7 3770 desktop CPU"

"hd 4k is only built for extremely light gaming, which was aimed towards laptops since it decreases cost by not adding in a gpu"

"The absolute level of performance remains very low."

"If you’re going to be building a media PC or a small, cheap desktop and graphics performance is important to you, then an FM1 CPU is still the way to go. It outperformed the HD 4000 toting i5-3570K in all our tests and is cheaper to boot."

"AMD [..] can keep polishing their onboard GPU performance crown for at least a little while yet."

got mine built over the weekend. using 5770 gigabyte graphics card had trouble with screen res but reinstalled ATISupport kext with kext wizard sorted it. sleep don't work rest seems ok

Z77-MX-QUO-AOS - Core i7 3570K -Corsair Vengeance black 32GB - Ozmosis H3A.801 - OS X 10.8.4

• Like 1

No bootloader, installed the whole package.

So in theory, you have 2 versions of fakesmc installed. I'll have try myself.

Did you install OS X or you migrated it from another machine ?

Make sure the 'Restart machine after power failure' box is ticked in Preferences/Energy Saver.

I've attached 3 pics:

1&2.

Attached to TB (at boot) PCIe cards in a Sonnett TB expasion works fine but appears in this way in System Info, nothing attached in TB tag and 3 PCIe Cards (really are 2 but one of them with 2 SSD on it)

In the PCI pic you can also see the results of Aja disk test on the 2 SSD RAID0 attached via TB, the same result I get using it attached to a MBPr.

3.TB Bios Settings, I've manually changed TB PCIe Cache-Line size from 32 to 64.

post-1160056-0-81359100-1380538545_thumb.png

post-1160056-0-23263000-1380538548_thumb.png

post-1160056-0-54842200-1380538549_thumb.jpg

^^^

That's why I was curious about the raid card I mentioned above.

"Note: Mac Pro systems do not support the RR2721's internal device port (SFF-8087)."

Will it work because it's a hackintosh, or will it have the same compatibility issue as the mac pro.

Parallels 7 was preventing my machine from sleeping (even tough no VM was running). Uninstalled it using Parallels script ..sleep works. Re-installed sleep not working. Un-install again , all is good. 

Updated to Parallels 9 yesterday and everything is fine. Were you running any virtualization software on your X79 ?

@ntsmkfob2 the  thought  did cross my mind.  thanks for  your input

Up date from lost post sleep works with different monitor connected with DVI lead.

but i don't think the sony bravia tv get a signal from the graphics card using HDMI after restart from sleep

@ntsmkfob2 the  thought  did cross my mind.  thanks for  your input

Up date from lost post sleep works with different monitor connected with DVI lead.

but i don't think the sony bravia tv get a signal from the graphics card using HDMI after restart from sleep

My monitor has HDMI input, and sleeps works as I'd expect. I switched to DVI-D as the sound from the speakers in the monitor was {censored}. I'm using the built-in HD4000 graphics though. Might be worth trying a different HDMI cable.