Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@maco55 - please re-read the guide to get more information. i already said this in my last post, there is a script to reset preferences and make ethernet en0 - which happens when you have the kexts /S/L/E or /L/E.

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to show my support for this thread by including some links to WIFI whitelist-removed BIOS patches for a couple Thinkpad models that can be hackintosh-ed using the advice in this thread.

For those who aren't familiar with with the whitelist on Thinkpad computers, it prevents non-whitelisted WIFI adapter from being used - ie, only Intel WIFI adapters branded by Lenovo, that are not compatible with MacOS. 

I use the Thinkpad T520, which is basically just like the T420 with a bigger screen.  I can confirm this BIOS mod works with an old AR5B95 wifi adapter I had lying around.

Here's The self-tested and confirmed whitelist-removed BIOS for the T520, version 1.43  

http://averyfreeman.com/Downloads/THINKPAD_T520_8AET63WW_8auj24us_NWL.rar

Here's one I haven't tested for the X220, BIOS version 1.39

http://averyfreeman.com/Downloads/ThinkPad_x220_1.39_8duj25us_NWL.rar

NOTE: You have to do these installs from WINDOWS ... 

Here's one you can do with a DOS boot-disk for the x220:

http://averyfreeman.com//Downloads/ThinkPad_x220_1.39_8duj25us_NWL_DOS.rar

Good luck everyone!

@ tluck -  Searching the thread for 'BIOS Whitelist' turned up 2 pages of results, found one link to a thread regarding whitelist BIOS for the T420 1.46 posted by maropr Aug 2013, but often these threads have outdated links, which can be frustrating.   I wanted to include hard-links to self-served files (e.g. non-rapidshare/mediafire/etc.). Also the two models I included are not the focus of this thread, but the guide in this thread works for them as well, so I thought they might be useful for people using the guide for different models who might want easy access to whitelist-removed BIOSes.  

Thanks for all your help!

WL removed only : (provided by thanh2h)

Bios mod: Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL (1.46)
https://app.box.com/s/m5lrvemgdnvggyhk68xo

Flash original (non modified) same version bios, then, after reboot, 
flash modified one. (run flash.bat as Administrator)
---

WL removed + Slic LENOVO 2.1 : (provided by thanh2h)
https://app.box.com/s/ure9q5e8ze8uaytr6i8h
Look README to update. Please post results.

LENOVO SLIC 2.2 + Certificate (provided by hmm)

LENOVOSV-INT_V2.2.zip

source : https://www.bios-mods.com/

yup. i used this first one (Bios mod: Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL (1.46)) on 2 T420 systems. 

has anyone tried the new DSDT/pack i recently posted for 10.11? looking for any feedback on what works or not. thanks. i see that there is a newer kext utility (2.6.4) from cvad that is El Capitan compatible. 

has anyone tried the new DSDT/pack i recently posted for 10.11? looking for any feedback on what works or not. thanks. i see that there is a newer kext utility (2.6.4) from cvad that is El Capitan compatible. 

Yes for sure :) i report there :             #1818             :)

I confirm that everything is ok here on Yosemite,

i have no HD with other system :-(

Thanks again tluck :)

i'm using Kext Utility 2.6.4 too and it's ok :)

About hibernation :

i follow  http://www.insanelym...and-how-to-use/

to avoid issue with external USB HD

i use this http://www.insanelym...r /> <br /> you 

everything is ok too

yup. i used this first one (Bios mod: Lenovo_ThinkPad_T420_83ET76WW-83uj28us_NWL (1.46)) on 2 T420 systems. 

I tried in 10.11 PB2,Both Bluetooth and sleep work fine!

@maco55 -- if you installed the kexts in /S/L/E with proper permissions (root:wheel) then it could be a cache issue. so rebuild and you should be good to go.

the standard Intel wifi wont work ever.  use a USB wifi or replace with the intel wifi with a  Atheros or Broadcom chip. there are a couple of good lists for chips that are compatible with OSX. i personally have had good luck with Atheros 9280 (model AR5BHB92 1/2 height) in 3 of my Lenovo laptops. bought on ebay for about +/- $10 US. often found as HP Pavillion cards.   Anyway, you will need to install a modded 1.46 BIOS and then it works OTB.

hey, would the RTL8188CE card work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RTL8188CE-PCI-E-Wireless-WIFI-Wlan-Card-for-Lenovo/191554857540?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dadabc0a1535a4e328c7dbaf59a0e9c2e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191611863474

@all

El Capitan PB4 still seems to be working pretty much as expected. Note: I am not running in "production" on El Cap so i have limited time on the OS apps etc. 

I update and just verify the major things - audio, bluetooth, network etc. The new DSDT seems to have all the USB ports active/working with sleep/wake still working. hope everyone agrees!

The Appstore Updates to move to the next Public Beta have not always worked on the first try. So i have been saving the pkg files (found /Library/Updates/031*) before I let it do the install/restart thing.

for example, the PB4 worked from the App Store on the 2nd try vs some of the earlier ones would KP half way in. In this case I had update from PB1 to PB2 manually - click on the OSXU pkg file  vs app store Install from the pkg file, let it finish, and then hit the restart.

The kext injection from Clover EFI for USB Installers is still a work in progress, so hopefully that will get figured out in a little while. Meaning the PB1 rev seems to work but at some point with the later beta revs, kexts from EFI are failing. 

• Like 2

Se agradece mucho / thanks very much :thumbsup_anim:

Se ve un poco complicado pero siguiendo las instrucciones mientras  realizas la instalacion uno se da cuenta ke no cuesta tanto.

Si debo aclarar que el video no me funciono en la instalacion de OSX 10.10.1 con la cual hice el pendrive e instale las instrucciones. Despues de tener casi todo listo y queriendo hacer una prueba instale la actualizacion de la APP Store de la ultima version de OSX, la 10.10.5 y al terminar me quedo todo operativo (menos el wifi como ya se ha mencionado en el post)

Pero no desesperen dado que a mi me tomo 5 dias en poder dejar todo listo :P

Pasciencia y lo ke mas se necesita a parte de los kext :hysterical:

Nuevamente gracias por la ayuda / thanks for you help :) :) 

@tluck

If I disable discrete graphics, I even can not use DP under windows system.

How can you use external DP on MacOS? I tried DP both on laptop and dock, none of them work. But external VGA really works.

@arooni (David)

welcome to the forum! ... to answer/respond your questions.

1) i find it very snappy (once i replace the HD with an SSD). i don't do a lot of compiling - other than building some unix tools, clover and custom kexts. but you will find the SSD makes the box seem about 10x faster. it boots in 2-3 seconds vs about 30 seconds. 

2) yeah. the wifi is somewhat easy to fix. i was using a USB for awhile but then decided to buy a $10 wifi internal card from eBay. modding bios was pretty easy. just downloaded the bits and flashed it. replacing the internal card took about 20 minutes. i used Atheros 9280. 

3) see (1) above. i have a 160 Intel SSD but i am sure others will work.

4) VGA - yes the clover config patches the buffers to add VGA

5) i don't think OS X it can support 3 screens at once. but I use external monitor attached to the DisplayPort and LCD as 2nd display.

5.5 only thing not working is SD card. with some futzing with Serial numbers etc, one can get Message and FaceTime working. 

6) up to you...  I have a real mac and this Hackintosh.  i use my T420 95% of the time for 3 years. 

First of all, thank you for your very useful and detail guide. I have installed successful Yosemite on my T420 laptop, but I was failed to make dual boot Windows 10 and Yosemite on my HDD (I have 1 drive and split it to 2 GUID Partition Table, one for Yosemite and one for Windows 10).

This is all my steps when installing Yosemite and Windows 10:

1) Making an Yosemite bootable USB Installer

2) Setup UEFI booting settings in my ThinkPad Setup as your guide: 

- Set Config / Serial ATA (SATA) / SATA = AHCI 

- Set Security / Memory Protection / Execution Prevention = Enabled

- Other settings set to their default.

3) Boot with USB installer and use Disk Utility to split my HDD to 2 GUID Partition Table, 1st partition format with Mac OS Extended (Journale), 2nd partition format with MSDOS FAT.

4) Install Yosemite.

5) After install Yosemite, I boooted to OS X and install Clover to Yosemite partition.

6) Install Windows 10 to 2nd partition.

7) After install Windows 10, I restart laptop but on Bootloader screen the Clover only show Yosemite partition so I cannot choose Windows 10 to boot up.

Please help me, thanks!   :)

@all

El Capitan PB4 still seems to be working pretty much as expected. Note: I am not running in "production" on El Cap so i have limited time on the OS apps etc. 

I update and just verify the major things - audio, bluetooth, network etc. The new DSDT seems to have all the USB ports active/working with sleep/wake still working. hope everyone agrees!

The Appstore Updates to move to the next Public Beta have not always worked on the first try. So i have been saving the pkg files (found /Library/Updates/031*) before I let it do the install/restart thing.

for example, the PB4 worked from the App Store on the 2nd try vs some of the earlier ones would KP half way in. In this case I had update from PB1 to PB2 manually - click on the OSXU pkg file  vs app store Install from the pkg file, let it finish, and then hit the restart.

The kext injection from Clover EFI for USB Installers is still a work in progress, so hopefully that will get figured out in a little while. Meaning the PB1 rev seems to work but at some point with the later beta revs, kexts from EFI are failing. 

And how about display backlight controll? On x220 (it's just smaller t420-even dsdt is identical) i can't enable backlight controll. I've updated to new version of acpibacklight.kext but still no luck.

And how about display backlight controll? On x220 (it's just smaller t420-even dsdt is identical) i can't enable backlight controll. I've updated to new version of acpibacklight.kext but still no luck.

It is not about luck. You need latest ACPIBacklight.kext and the correct (latest) brightness patch.

@ferretzhu - I don't have discrete graphics (optimus) -- so DP works based HD 3000 (integrated) gfx buffers. if you switch to windows you may need to reenable the hw you need.

@polishapple - yes - backlight for LCD is fixed for El Capitan - see Rehabman's comments - are you using the dsdt from my zip?

@winning0308 - well not sure. but to dual boot your EFI folder should contain 3 folder/directories: BOOT (which should be clover), CLOVER , and Microsoft ...  which should contain bootmgfw.efi (and bcd files). 

@ferretzhu - I don't have discrete graphics (optimus) -- so DP works based HD 3000 (integrated) gfx buffers. if you switch to windows you may need to reenable the hw you need.

@polishapple - yes - backlight for LCD is fixed for El Capitan - see Rehabman's comments - are you using the dsdt from my zip?

@winning0308 - well not sure. but to dual boot your EFI folder should contain 3 folder/directories: BOOT (which should be clover), CLOVER , and Microsoft ...  which should contain bootmgfw.efi (and bcd files). 

Still no luck. I don't know why it's not working.

Still no luck. I don't know why it's not working.

Download patchmatic: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-patchmatic-2015-0107.zip

Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,

if [ -d ~/Downloads/RehabMan ]; then rm -R ~/Downloads/RehabMan; fi
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract
Note: It is easier if you use copy/paste instead of typing the commands manually.

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg using IORegistryExplorer v2.1.