Welcome to InsanelyMac.com - No more ads! And some exciting news... Read more... ×
Allan

Sleep, Hibernation - How it works? and How to use?

4 posts in this topic

I'll buy an SSD, is good use the Hibernation mode?

Well, we know that SSDs can boot up very fast in comparison with traditional HDD drivers, and maybe we think when we buy an SSD: "Uh, if i use Hibernation mode, all the things will be more fast!!  :w00t: "

Yes but if you already read about how the new SSD's technologies works, you'll see that use Hibernation mode can destroy your new toy.

But why this happens?

The short explanation: "Hibernation copies everything in RAM into the SSD drive that sometimes results in wearing out the SSDs."

Questions:

#1 - Q: But using SSD + Hibernation mode, will be good to my Battery life, why i need disable it?
A: Using an SSD is very different when you use a HDD drive, consider that using a SSD the power consumption is very low than HDD, you don't need worry about it.  ;)

#2 - Q: I don't care about this stuff, i want use Hibernation mode anyway!!
A: Ok, ok, relax!  ^_^
You can move the sleepimage file to another drive, maybe an old HDD/SSD.

How? Terminal is the answer bro!

Run pmset -g command and you can check the current configuration for hibernate.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 6.32.35 PM.png

The important informations here are: standbydelay and hibernatefile. The first one say us that our Mac/Hack will wait 4200 seconds before entering the "real' hibernate mode (before any information is written to the disk). The hibernate file is the location where RAM content are stored.

For example I decided just to relocate my sleepimage file.

Create folder on the second driver:

Allans-MacBook-Pro:~ allan$ mkdir -p /Volumes/YourHDD/System/vm

Change the hibernatefile property

sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /Volumes/YourHDD/System/vm/sleepimage

Check your currents settings

Allans-MacBook-Pro:~ allan$ sudo pmset -g 
Active Profiles: 
Battery Power -1* 
AC Power -1 
Currently in use: 
standbydelay 4200 
standby 0 
halfdim 1 
sms 1 
hibernatefile /Volumes/YourHDD/System/vm/sleepimage 
disksleep 10 
sleep 10 
hibernatemode 29 
ttyskeepawake 1 
displaysleep 15 
acwake 0 
lidwake 1

Now any time your Mac/Hack enters in hibernate mode, the RAM content is written in /Volumes/Media drive (your second internal HDD/SSD).

PS: This "other drive" can be an external HD or a USB3 thumb drive.
PS 2: This tip is valid for Mac users that have SSDs.  :)

PS 3: You can also move the image to a null device:

sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /dev/null

Creditis to: Simply Meahmed_ais and AskDifferent

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ankarastrix
      I have a problem, I select the "sleep" option from the menu, the mac goes to sleep but does not "wake up" (screen). I can't even change smbios from iMac17.1 to iMac18.1 + when I change the mac it boots, the progress bar and apple icon are visible and then the screen goes off.
      config.plist
    • By melamangiata
      Hello, these are my pc specs:

i5-4460
      H97M-D3H Gigabyte
      HD 4600 as a gpu
      4gb DDR3
      SSD 256gb

I attach my EFI folder, i removed only the mac serial.

I installed Catalina 10.15.6 with OpenCore 0.6.0, every things is working except for the wakeup.

I put the pc in stop form the apple icon, the monitors turns off, the pc turns "off".
      When i push a keyboards button the pc turns on also the monitors turns on, but the screen is still black. Force rebooting is required. Any advice?

Thank you.

EFI.zip
    • By amin321
      since the installation of macOS, the most observable problem is awaking from sleep failure, I almost tried every related thing like mapping USB ports, appropriate ig-platform-id and disabling dgpu , all of those does not help at all that report on panic gets triggered after force shutdown and reopening the system (as the system does not wake from sleep) dell g3 3590 intel core i7 9750h *iGPU : Intel UHD 630 *RAM : 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz *Storage : 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid Stat e Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive (Storage) can anybody give me a tip on that
    • By james2058
      Hello guys!
      I have a Asus Zenbook with the following characteristics:
      Model: ASUS Zenbook UX310UQ
      CPU: Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
      IGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
      RAM: 8GBx2 => 16GB RAM Bus 2133
      Wifi: Replaced with DW1560.
      Clover: Clover 5120
      UEFI/LEGACY: UEFI
      Storage: SSD Crucial 500GB
      Everything works fine!

I have the WiFi/Bluetooth chipset DW1560 (DCM20702A) and a Logitech K380 Keyboard and magic mouse. My Hackintosh is sleeping fine only problem is that it won't wake from sleep on key presses. I already tested this USB port with a normal keyboard and the result was that it wakes up my Hackintosh on key presses. And in system settings the Bluetooth wake option is enabled, too.
      Has someone an idea where the problem could be or which additional settings I have to verify?
      Thank you all

• By amin321
      hello there, I have finished almost everything in my laptop Dell G3 15 3590 intel core i7 9750h UHD630, and everything is okay right now followed dortania (Open core guide) with all my ssdts patches including the USB port, the strange problem that I am facing which is in sleep awake functioning 
      sometimes it sleeps okay and when I am trying to wake it wakes properly, and sometimes it does not wake from sleep at all and then I have to force shut it down with the power button, and it gives me that Report, I wish anyone can help me please as I almost finished everything about 2 months ago and from then I am trying to figure out what makes that issue, please anybo dy help me