Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sleep, Hibernation - How it works? and How to use?

4 posts in this topic

I'll buy an SSD, is good use the Hibernation mode?

Well, we know that SSDs can boot up very fast in comparison with traditional HDD drivers, and maybe we think when we buy an SSD: "Uh, if i use Hibernation mode, all the things will be more fast!!  :w00t: "

Yes but if you already read about how the new SSD's technologies works, you'll see that use Hibernation mode can destroy your new toy.

But why this happens?

The short explanation: "Hibernation copies everything in RAM into the SSD drive that sometimes results in wearing out the SSDs."

#1 - Q: But using SSD + Hibernation mode, will be good to my Battery life, why i need disable it?

A: Using an SSD is very different when you use a HDD drive, consider that using a SSD the power consumption is very low than HDD, you don't need worry about it.  ;)

#2 - Q: I don't care about this stuff, i want use Hibernation mode anyway!!

A: Ok, ok, relax!  ^_^

You can move the sleepimage file to another drive, maybe an old HDD/SSD.

How? Terminal is the answer bro!

Run pmset -g command and you can check the current configuration for hibernate.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 6.32.35 PM.png

The important informations here are: standbydelay and hibernatefile. The first one say us that our Mac/Hack will wait 4200 seconds before entering the "real' hibernate mode (before any information is written to the disk). The hibernate file is the location where RAM content are stored.

For example I decided just to relocate my sleepimage file.

Create folder on the second driver:

Allans-MacBook-Pro:~ allan$ mkdir -p /Volumes/YourHDD/System/vm

Change the hibernatefile property

sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /Volumes/YourHDD/System/vm/sleepimage

Check your currents settings

Allans-MacBook-Pro:~ allan$ sudo pmset -g 
Active Profiles: 
Battery Power -1* 
AC Power -1 
Currently in use: 
standbydelay 4200 
standby 0 
halfdim 1 
sms 1 
hibernatefile /Volumes/YourHDD/System/vm/sleepimage 
disksleep 10 
sleep 10 
hibernatemode 29 
ttyskeepawake 1 
displaysleep 15 
acwake 0 
lidwake 1

Now any time your Mac/Hack enters in hibernate mode, the RAM content is written in /Volumes/Media drive (your second internal HDD/SSD).

PS: This "other drive" can be an external HD or a USB3 thumb drive.

PS 2: This tip is valid for Mac users that have SSDs.  :)

Creditis to: Simply Meahmed_ais and AskDifferent

How change Hibernate Mode in El Capitan

For OS X El Capitan, you'll need modify the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist.

Type this in Finder > Go > Go to folder/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

And find the Hibernate Mode in both section and put the value that you want.

UPDATE: If you use "sudo su" in Terminal, and after that run the command that you want, e.g: "pmset -a hibernatemode 0", the hibernation mode will be changed.

Edited by Allan
sudo su