Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tluck:

1) There seems a bug in the _kext-install.bash:

_kext-install.bash: line 88: syntax error: unexpected end of file

T420_UEFI-Clover-b3261_10.9_10.10_10.11_2015-08-20.zip

2) and... I'm asking for help, Again.

I'm trying to connect an external monitor(a Sony TV actually) using the VGA port but no luck, TV didn't get detected even with Option+"Detect Display". Searched around, tried to patch AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB still no luck.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5+Newest kext bundle provided. The TV works on the same laptop running Windows 10. What should I do to get the TV up?

Thanks.

Just posted a new bundle with a few updated kexts and other misc fixes. El Capita latest Public beta is ok! I am waiting for final bits to go production as all is working pretty well for me.

@myeyre

1) thanks for reporting the bug - just reposted a new bundle with fixed script. sorry.

2) VGA - just tested on my box and it works connected to my HP monitor via VGA from side of laptop. One has to start up with cable in place ie monitor attached for the VGA port. (sleep/wake after attachment works too.)

Question: why are you attaching via VGA ... versus digital i.e. DisplayPort/HDMI?

Note: the config.plist in the bundle will patch the SNB buffer to add VGA from side of box -- if you are using a dock - you need to do an alternate patch scheme.

• Like 1

@tluck

Great thanks for your really quick reponse!!

I tried the same box with a Lenovo display, and like you said, works like a charm. Then I thunk may be it's a TV or cable problem, so I tried the cable from the display with the TV, and It works!! But this cable can only do 1366x768 maximum, both under Windows 10 and OSX, while it can do 1440x900 on the Lenovo display, the previous one can do 1080p under Windows 10. I'll try to find another cable can do 1080p another day, but 1366x768 is fine for video watching.

The reason I use VGA is that, this ancient TV gets only one HDMI and I have to leave it for cable TV box. and also I think it is a bit of unworthy to get a DP to HDMI cable, cause most laptop equip miniDP nowadays.

Thanks, again.

hmm. with the new dsdt, did you upgrade/re-install the ACPIBacklight kext?

is it off/black or backlight dark ... can you try to increase the brightness with the Pause key?/ 

it is black,just like the graphics card has no Driver..

may be i have something wrong when upgrade the new kexts..

after reinstall the ACPIBacklight.kext and rebuild kext cache, no problem with  the new dsdt..

great thanks .

@paolo.marco 

great - suggestion:

1) use Yosemite 10.10.5

2) read and follow my guide closely

3) reformat your drive as GPT for UEFI support

3a) windows - well sure if want to dual boot windows, keep some space - use free space vs NTFS from mac. and then format the partition  with windows.

Good day,

I dont have of any mac os installed. How do I prepare installation USB on linux? I have got "OS X Yosemite [MAS].dmg"

Go to this thread and download  OS X 10.10 Install USB.raw file, then use a tool named SUSE Studio ImageWriter to wirte .raw file to USB, if you use Windows 8 or Windows 10, you can read the EFI partition on bootable USB then replace EFI folder on USB with EFI folder by @tluck.

• Like 1

@tluck

I tried to use your EFI folder on my X220 (certainly dsdt is replaced) to install El Capitan GM. But the installation ended with white screen with colored beachball spinning. Could you please enlighten me what might be the issue? Thanks.

Is the x220 is bootable in safe mode (at clover GUI press space)?

if so then it is due to a kext (not the ones provided in the pack) 

check in /S/L/E old kext to find it

Is the x220 is bootable in safe mode (at clover GUI press space)?

if so then it is due to a kext (not the ones provided in the pack) 

check in /S/L/E old kext to find it

I did not try to boot in safe mode. But it seems that the problem is solved when I delete all the folders except the other folder in the kexts folder ( I moved the bluetooth kext to the other folder). I do not know why, but it works.

@tluck

Hi, I've followed the instructions over and over again. Checked and triple checked what I've been doing.

I am all ok with no problems all the way up to installing the custom kexts onto the HD. I used _kext-install.bash despite having the GUI because I wanted to avoid putting files in the wrong place.

When I then go to reboot straight from the HD, it begins to boot. I get the Apple logo and the white bar appears, slowly progressing but then the screen suddenly goes off as it it's been instructed to by the OS. I then have no way of getting it back on. If I wait a few moments and press and hold the power button to turn it off, for a split second you see the login screen but then it goes again.

I then put the USB installer back in and try again running from that and the same thing happens but I know it's coming from the USB as the light on it goes crazy.

I worry it might be something I've missed and I think it may be because of a line in your guide that I'm just struggling to make sense off it goes like this:

"Recommended: Use the folder with its config.plist with the custom dsdt.aml (as is) to start.  And install the custom kexts from the zip folder to the /Library/Extensions folder."

I'm not sure what I've missed but I read that as telling me there is a folder with dsdt.aml and config.plist in together that should be some of point to start from but it makes no sense to me whatsoever as these two files exist but in completely different places from each other.

Secondly, when copying across the Display Vendor ID folders from the download over to System/Library/Displays/Overrides/ one of them already exists and trying both ways (merge and replace) I still get the same result.

This is my third attempt to follow the instructions with fresh HD formats being done in between each go and everytime I'm getting stuck on this same point.

I've uploaded a short video to YouTube showing the problem I've been having: https://youtu.be/EVA6nSzt354

additionally, when booting in verbose mode I recorded it and watched it back to see exactly what was loaded as the screen blacks out and it is ACPIBacklight: Version 3.0.3

There are a couple of unrelated lines below for ApplUSBCDC but the screen begins to go off just before they come up.

Hopefully someone can help me! :)

UPDATE: Rebooted into Safe Boot and now I get to the desktop. I'm so confused! HELP :(

SECOND UPDATE: Ok, I feel really stupid now. Turns out all I needed to do was hit F15/Pause to increase the brightness back up from 0...

Edited by aetherTom

@tluck

Fortunately all is well - I just didn't think of it sooner lol. I was having some audio issues but I then ran the Kext Utility and reloaded all of them just to be sure there was nothing wrong.

I have one other question that is also covered in your guide regarding Bluetooth. I have two T420's, both identical with the exception of one of them having a fingerprint scanner and the Ericsson 3G Modem (Yosemite is installed on said T420). My other T420 is running Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 in a dual boot.

Now, in your guide it says about turning Bluetooth on by using Windows or Ubuntu but as I don't have these installed on my Hackintosh, is there any other way you know of that I could get BT enabled on it?

EXTRA: Do you reckon it would be possible to swap the HDs over, boot into Windows and turn BT on and then switch the HDs back over again?

Edited by aetherTom

@tluck

Ok, switching over the HDs definitely turned BT on as the light is on and now Yosemite is acknowledging that the laptop has BT. However, it doesn't work. Tried to pair with the T420 running Windows and an iPhone 6 and they both complained that they couldn't connect to the T420 running Yosemite. Yosemite itself simply told me to  make sure the devices have BT on and in range (I'm sitting next to everything so definitely in range).

When you first took on this project yourself, did you have any issues with BT? Any suggestions on what I could do. I checked your full post again and I couldn't see anything that would be relevant to where I am at the moment.

Thank you for your input so far anyway.

weird. i just tried with my iPhone 6 and no go. i can connect to my apple keyboard and apply mouse and my wife mac book pro on BT.

i get  this in the log...

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOCTL not recognized: 111 out of 235

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOBluetoothDevice::setProperties() -- calling mHCIController->CallCreateDeviceReporter() -- this = 0x7c00 

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHostController::CallCreateDeviceReporter -- calling enqueueAction() -- device = 0x7c00 

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHostController::CreateDeviceReporterAction -- device = = 0x7c00 

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHostController::CreateDeviceReporterAction -- calling CreateDeviceReporter() device = = 0x7c00 

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHostController::CreateDeviceReporter -- device = = 0x7c00 

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: 903.364374: apple80211Request[10514] Unsupported ioctl 111 

Sep 15 13:37:58 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOCTL not recognized: 111 out of 235

Sep 15 13:38:16 Toms-Mac blued[91]: Device Connected with address: a8-66-7f-4a-75-7d and classOfDevice 0x7a020c and connectionHandle 0x000d

Sep 15 13:38:16 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: 921.357269: apple80211Request[10514] Unsupported ioctl 111 

Sep 15 13:38:16 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOCTL not recognized: 111 out of 235

Sep 15 13:38:20 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: 925.660434: apple80211Request[10514] Unsupported ioctl 111 

Sep 15 13:38:20 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: IOCTL not recognized: 111 out of 235

That's odd, unfortunately I don't have a BT keyboard or mouse to try.

Those logs tell me (I could be wrong here) that the OS is trying to check via WiFi first before connecting via BT.

I've got a Dell 1510 wireless card coming in a few days so I'll confirm then if having working WiFi fixes my problems.

Do you have working WiFi on your T420?

Hi everybody!

I have this really huge, huge problem bugging me all the time. And it is the fact that I never had the chance to thank @tluck and the whole community around this thread and forum. So without further ado:

Thank you @tluck and thank you community! For the continued support and all the help that you provide all the time no matter how "stupid" or simple the questions are  :lol: Thank you @tluck for constantly updating the install instructions (I've started following this thread around one year ago, but it seems that you are doing this for two years now). Thank you everybody for building this comprehensive set of knowledge for creating (I may be biased :-) one of the most polished/seemless (I would say even hackless) hackintosh builds. 

One year ago I was at point zero when I guy told me "You know - your X220 could easily run OSX" and I was like "OK, why not - for a sysadmin with 15+ years experience in the linux/windows world that should be a no brainer"  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical: . And two weeks later, after wrestling with all the "new stuff" like kext, clover, chameleon, dsdt, ssdt, bios whitelisting, MBR patching etc. and my head was about to explode I came upon this island of knowledge where all the pieces just fell in place and everything started to actually make sense:

- You want native updates - here you go

- You want native installer - serve yourself

- You want external VGA monitor through docking station - be my guest

Actually the list of what is working seems to be endless - the build is so solid that I've even managed to plug an external Nvidia GTX 760 GPU (through ExpressCard slot) and use dual VGA/DVI external monitors setup (through docking station) and it is still working as expected!  :drool: A must admit that I had to dig into the dsdt to make the eGPU working, but again thanks to @tluck, who has comments for all changes/patches inside the dsdt, I was able to quickly find myself around and fix the problem.

Thank you all, one more time - you've managed to convert and 18 years linux desktop user (a KDE user) into an OSX fan (still not a mac fan though). You are all truly insanely mac :thumbsup_anim: 

P.S. I'm writing this from fresh El Capitan GM Candidate1 install on Thinkpad X220 using only the dsdt, clover config and kexts provided from @tluck, eagerly waiting for the final El Capitan GM Release  :yes:

• Like 1