Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Today I upgrade my T420s to FHD with a LVDS-eDP convertor. I also update EDID in DSDT and config.plist.

It works very well. Thanks everyone.

Here is my dsdt and config.plist. My LCD is B140HAN01.2 FHD now.

T420s.1.38-FHD.zip

This is the convertor.

post-1500836-0-74073500-1427495829_thumb.png

This is Yosemite.

post-1500836-0-54341700-1427496029_thumb.png

The convertor only supports T420s/T430s now, because of the free space in laptop.

• Like 8

Hi Tluck,

I just replaced the screen in my t520 with a 1920x1080 model like the one mentioned on page 44 of the thread. I forgot that the settings for Mac were specific to the display and now my Hackintosh partition is unable to display properly (I know it's not the display because it works fine in Linux).

I tried looking in Clover for the duallink=1 setting but I didn't see it. I do remember seeing it in close very configuration but I'm unable to use the display to get to it.

Is it possible to plug my laptop into an external display so I can edit the config.plist? If so, what do I change once I get there?

Thanks so much!

Avery

@Averyfreeman -

well can you boot in single user mode? hit space bar in clover GUI to get boot options

if so you could mount the EFI partition and then edit config.plist

this what you need to add to the config.plist in the Graphics section

<key>DualLink</key>

<string>1</string>

Hey Tluck, 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  Actually, I *was* able to boot into Mavericks using the VGA port attached to an external monitor, so I just hopped into clover configurator and changed the display settings to dual link = 1.  That was it!

If anyone else has a 1920x1080 display in a Thinkpad T520 or W520 who needs to know what to do, just use the 1366x768 acpi settings detailed in the guide and instead of using the duallink=0 key in clover config.plist, change it to duallink=1. 

So happy!

Thanks again!  LOVE THIS GUIDE!

-Avery

EDIT:  I wish I had tried the single user mode just to see if it worked.  I'm guessing it would have since before the display changed modes in the login screen it was able to display the Apple boot screen without issues.  Thanks for the tip, I hope it helps someone else out.

10.10.3 update succeeded on my machine as well. No console errors or any powerd stuff.

Also, interesting note for anyone wanting to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite: You can use the free "App" from the store to do it just as on an actual Macintosh, however, you will need to run the kext install script from your root drive's EFI/Clover partition again to put the custom kexts back into the S/L/E folder. After doing this, I had a perfectly working Yosemite installation upgraded straight from 10.9.5.

• Like 1

@ntp2000 - the new ethernet kext is in the guide zip file - unzip and look in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

@verleihnix - have you installed the 6.14.1364 monitor? it has new icons that switch automatically with the menu mode. if so have you removed the green icon and use the black/white icons? if you are using dark mode then you may not see the green or red one. 

post-954945-0-92973300-1429190033_thumb.png

ok - so I now I actually posted the right file into the guide. sorry.   Really not much to report these days. It all just works!

10.10.3 seems to be bit more stable. And as some have reported updating is a breeze. Download and go. 

Mieze's Ethernet kext is working quite well for me so I figured it was a good idea to include it now.

Anyway, other than updating EFI bits, this new kext needs to be installed in /S/L/E and replaces the older AppleIntelE1000e.kext - so don't forget to remove it!

So to keep y'all current, posted the clover bundle for the T420: Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

15-April-2015 Update

• Updated to Clover r3200 - compiled to remove text before GUI
  • Switched to OsxApioFix2Drv-64.efi since it allows hibernation and works fine.
  • Switched to Mieze's modern Intel LAN Ethernet Kext (IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.0.0d2) - replaces AppleIntelE1000e.kext - Thank you!!!
  • Like 1

feed back about 15-April-2015 Update

i have now random white lines on my screen ans sometime my t420 freeze

don't know the reason why (r3200, OsxApioFix2Drv-64.efi or IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.0.0d2)

am i this only one here to have issue?

i bet it's du to OsxApioFix2Drv-64.efi

@tetonne

hmm. hard to imagine the ethernet driver causing it.  but no, i have not seen anything like that. I have different screen resolution on both of my T420 systems.

So sure, if you do not need hibernation, then i would try running the other OSXAptioFixDrv-64.efi.

here is the full Clover b3200 pkg to install it. 

Clover_v2.3k_r3200.pkg.zip

• Like 1

@tetonne

hmm. hard to imagine the ethernet driver causing it.  but no, i have not seen anything like that. I have different screen resolution on both of my T420 systems.

So sure, if you do not need hibernation, then i would try running the other OSXAptioFixDrv-64.efi.

here is the full Clover b3200 pkg to install it. 

thanks tluck :)

since i'd issue, i went back to previous OSXAptioFixDrv-64.efi

it's too soon to know if the problem is over.

i'll install last clover installer to have the last release of OSXAptioFixDrv-64.efi

i'll feed back for good news or not.

Have a nice WE ;)

FOA Thanx for your work and this tutor!
I'd successfully installed OSX/Yosemite. However some of your instructions was'nt that clear. For instance, I was confused about what is the ESP of USB and googled with no result. Also I had installed Yosemite using MutliBe@st bootable USB flash drive. After that I had successfully booted up into OSX but using the drive only. After that the
Part 2 - Post OS Installation and Setup on HD
didn't help, the Clover was set as bootloader but failed to load into OSX. 

Also

Reboot - Boot Clover from HD vs USB.
Hit the spacebar on your boot selection (OSX) to start up
 without kext caches to make sure it loads all the custom kexts just installed. 

There is no such option as "without kext caches" but there are "without caches", "without injected kexts" and "without caches and injected kexts" in Clover bootloader. However nothig from those 3 options helped me to boot. I've got panic about AppleACPIPowerManagement or something like this. 
Since nothing helped I had to setup Clover to my MutliBe@st flash drive, boot using it and only after that with repeating Part 2 mentioned above it was done.

Now my T420 boots into OSX using Clover with no any issues.

My Lenovo is T420 / i7-2630M / HD300 only / 8Gb RAM and Samsung SSD.

My question is: What about SSD TRIM for non-Apple SSDs?

There is an option in MutliBeast: Trim Enabler: 10.10.x trom patch (Patches the 10.10.x version of /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/IOAHCIBlocksStorage.kext to enable TRIM on non-Apple SSD drives). But MutliBe@st is one-file app and it has no kexts in folders to look for and copy.

@Stan-Ko

ESP is EFI System Partition - which is created for a HD or USB that is formatted GPT/GUID. OS X supports GUID vs just MBR formatted USB.

well since you are past the OS X Installation and seem to be booting from Clover from the HD, then you are pretty much done!

If you are booting from Clover (and using my bundle), there is a kext patch to enable TRIM for non-apple SSD. For example, I use an Intel SSD. 

good morning I managed to install Yosemite on lenovo T520 with 1366x768 display all works
I changed the BIOS to change wifi card with bcm 4322
installation was performed on plextor px-installed 128m5m mSATA slot WWAN trim enabler work oob the ignition time is 8sec
sleep work
wifi work
lan work
all work
I ask if the trackpad can 'run multigesture
best regards francesco

good morning I managed to install Yosemite on lenovo T520 with 1366x768 display all works

installation was performed on plextor px-installed 128m5m mSATA slot WWAN trim enabler work oob the ignition time is 8sec

sleep work

wifi work

lan work

all work

best regards francesco

sharing the pack with the type of computer (under the computer would be great) ;)

@diegoarmandozizi -- glad you got the T520 running. I presume the trackpad is the same as the T420 and it supports some multi-finger gestures. i am no expert on this. but look at the trackpad system prefs for some options. it cannot do the same thing as a real mac book trackpad but there are some nice features. these are 2 i use on occasion:

2 finger scroll up and down

3 finger swipe left and right for safari back and forward

myself, i use an apple magic mouse so i don't rely on the trackpad all that much compared to some. 

sleep work

wifi work

lan work

all work

best regards francesco

@diegoarmandozizi , Could you let me know how you removed the BIOS whitelist on 520 . Is that using a mod bios or hardware programmer. thanx

Is it possible to get clover itself running at native resolution(T420 at 1600x900 in my case)?

I mean the preboot OS select screen. After boot into OSX it gets native resolution just fine,

but clover itself is limited to 1024x768 thus the display is stretched.