Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Check DragExitDelay property.

Thanks. However it seems not work. The issue still exist :(  

The problem not only affect dragging, single clicks with the track point slightly moved are often recognised as a double click. Unless I completely stop the tracepoint before press the left button, it often become double-click. 

With old ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2nub.kext the trackpoint works perfectly, but the trackpad does not work well with old kexts (it's relatively newer trackpad with no separate buttons) and with newer VoodooPS2Controller.kext we could have much more functionalities (such as gesture and middle button).

Any ideas will be helpful!

Hi all-

I am in need of some desperate help here. What used to be a perfectly working dual boot X220 has now turned into a big mess. I have been trying to recover from the removal of the EmuVariable-64.efi (does the X220 require this?) and my attempts of getting back to some level of normal use has now resulted in not only my Mavericks installation to be toast but now I cannot access my Windows 7 partition. That I must get back somehow. The partition isn't damaged, it's just that Clover doesn't see it for some reason. I did a fresh install of Mavericks and lost all my data on that build in an attempt to save the Windows partition. The only partition that Clover now sees is Mavericks and that's it.

Question: Can someone please offer a URL or a help file or something that can explain in laymans terms how to get Clover to recognize a UEFI partition? If I can just retrieve Windows, I'll find a way to go back and deal with the OSX part of the equation later.

Thanks!

successfully upgraded 10.10 from store, only needed to update the kexts after. here are some tips:

1 If you stuck at "setting up your mac" for a loooong time, reboot. it's ok.

2 NV4200 users: if you the boot screen passed and you expect to see the login screen, but only see the black screen  - close the lid and open it (do the sleep\wake). should work

3 HoRNDIS usb tethering crashes putting the laptop to reboot.

4 I was unable to make establish connection with HoRNDIS  - Yosemite  says "I cannot use this phone for internernet connection for it has its own IP".

In Mavericks worked fine.

--

Now, while waiting for the dell wi-fi card to arrive, temporarily switching back to 10.9 - it is stable as f$#%.

Solved/Workaround - T420 trackpoint issue [reproduced on 10.9 and 10.10]

If dragging objects with trackpoint glitches, make sure you enable the touchpad in BIOS; now dragging with trackpoint will be nice

For now it is somehow crucial for the VodooPS2Controller kext to have touchpad enabled in case you use trackpoint.

The lid-trick just works!! Thank you!! Agree with @testubabe, you deserve lots of beers!!

It seems that the background color doesn't gradient natruely in mission control or dashboard, so I think it need more work to drive the 4200M perfectly. Will try to learn some dsdt thing another day.

Thanks again.

---------------------------------------

PS. The volume-up-down key did'nt seem to sync with menu-bar volume control??

Currently running Yosemite with 10-18 package, can't recall whether they sync under Mavericks 10.9.5.

T420 users:

posted a new bundle with updates to 2 kexts.

1) ACPIBatteryManger.kext is now 1.53 (latest)

2) VoodooPS2Controller is still at v1.8.13  - however, I revised the VoodooPS2Controller kext to be consistent with RehabMan's stock version. 

Meaning, I kept all original default/alternate options in there but I added a Lenovo T420 sections that will pick up the DSDT PS2K variables LENOVO T420 to override defaults for the Keyboard, TouchPad and TrackPoint. 

This will allow you more easily tweak any variables that you might want to change. The current T420 section variables are just the ones that are different than the defaults - but you can add others to override.

Note: if you are NOT on T420 or more specifically not using the DSDT provided with the PS2K mods, then you may want do a similar thing to add the PS2K DSM to identify your model etc.

Thanks to RehabMan for building great tools!

@myeyre - yeah the menubar sound widget will sync - but seems you have click on it to move it and then stays in sync with the laptop buttons!

@skoon432 - the zip bundle i post will recognize and list OS X and Windows partitions. I boot via UEFI for both OS X an Windows 7.

an you provide more information?  PM me with details if you like.  is your disk GPT or MBR? can you send a clover boot log? Do you have the Microsoft boot stuff in your EFI? Clover need more than just a windows partition to list it. Also you can always reinstall the EmuVariable driver from the Clover pkg if you prefer to use that method for NVRAM.

My EFI folder looks like this:

post-954945-0-68145700-1414008132_thumb.png

• Like 1

An update - I ended up losing everything installed on my X220. This was a crushing blow as I had important radio programming information some of which I was able to recover from a recovery/repair command window, but most got away from me. OSX was not as much of a loss but even so I had a number of working papers that is all lost. My entire episode started when I attempted to remove EmuVariable. That apparently is a VERY CRUCIAL item for the X220, perhaps something a bit different from the T420. I did attempt to reinstall the EmuVariable driver but the system had gone far too unstable at that point to recover. It was just like I had knocked its legs from underneath. It was over and that was it. So for you X220 users, beware from someone who had to learn the hard way. Leave the EmuVariable alone and don't touch!  I have spent the past couple of days rebuilding the SSD and starting over from scratch. I'll get back to normal, it will just take time as it always does from a catastrophic crash such as this. Next time I keep my backups a bit closer to the vest :)

Some brief installation notes with the X220 that I have encountered so far:

1) For a fresh rebuild, start with tluck's OSX build on an 8gb USB stick and follow his instructions. Be sure to include EmuVariable in the Clover driver installation procedure.

2) Using Disk Utility, make two hard drive partitions both GUID. Install OSX FIRST on the first partition. Install Win7 on the second partition. In fact, I found that I could simply leave the second partition as free space and let the Windows installer handle the partitioning itself.  I tried installing Win7 on the first partition and it did NOT work. OSX refused to install.

3) Clover behaves strangely. It's a pain to manipulate on an X220 but once you get it going, it works fine. After both OSes are installed, go into BIOS and configure BOOT position #1 to be the SSD or your hard drive. That one took me a while to figure out and nearly drove me insane.

What is so odd about all this is that I had to do none of this with the very first attempt from a couple of months ago with Mavericks. Clover versions have changed a lot since then and I wonder if bugs/issues etc have cropped up in it from those days, because my first attempt at any of this on the X220 was so amazingly simple. It simply worked, no fuss no muss. This time around, it has been literally days of utter misery and there has been no rhyme or reason for it.

tluck, a question for you. How do I configure the Clover boot screen? It chose on its own to set OSX as the default OS and it also set itself to auto boot with a 5 second timer. How do I eliminate this? It's a huge headache and I don't know how to turn off that feature. Any thoughts?

Hi Skoon432 i have a x220 and i haven't tried the new EmuVariableless method but you must have done something else wrong (like wrong boot option in clover installer) to be in a situation like this,

whatever the problem you could boot with your clover usb stick (and if needed with -f for safe mode) and restore the old clover files back to the fat32 partition , always keep backup the files from fat32 partition in case you need them back before update to a newer version.

for clover you need to edit config.plist , see here for info in the wiki : http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot

and if you want see the other thread for x220 info even its not so detailed explained, but the essentials are there (at least you know that it is working for x220 for sure).

• Like 1

Great walkthrough.  For the BIOS settings, i would suggest one addition.  I was stuck for three days because my Execute Bit [Disabled].  

Also, I have audio through headphones but not through speakers, is that expected?

Thanks

Lenovo T420 4177-CTO Intel i5-2410M 16GB RAM SSD HD3000 graphics 1600x900

Has anyone experienced trying to boot the installer and seeing a apple symbol for a split second, then the t420 reboots?  Cant seem to get it going and new to clover as a boot loader.

Yes!  Go into your BIOS and enabled Execute Bit (under security i think).  I had the exact same problem

@skoon432 - glad you are up and running again. sorry you had such a hard time.

very surprising that the partition order matters. but ok. Perhaps when installing windows first, microsoft installation is doing something with the PMBR vs MBR and then confusing the OS X installer. are you booting windows via UEFI or MBR? I recall there are some tricks to make the DVD iso boot UEFI. I also remember making a separate UEFI USB installer for Win7. 

anyway to answer your question: config.plist has a Boot section - to stop the countdown, change the boot countdown from 5 to -1

see the clover wiki section for more info.

@matthewpstro - glad you got it going. changed the instructions to say - reset to bios to defaults - and validate/set a few items! thanks.

internal speakers - try plug/unplug headphones 2 times to see if output changes to Internal Speakers from headphones. (1 first output option - 2nd is dock)

if you just see the overlay and don't hear any sound blips - make sure you set the sound effects option to play feedback when volume is changed. (yosemite has this off by default)

@sot_22 - would be interesting to find out if the x220 nvram works like the T420. 

• Like 1

@mattewpstro - glad you got it going. changed the instructions should say - reset to bios to defaults - and validate/set a few items! thanks.

let me look into the speaker thing.

For what it is worth, I updated my bios to the 1.46 lke you were using and reset to defaults.  The reseting to defaults did not enable that execute bit. It could've just been a glitch on my personal machine.

After plugging in/unplugging headphones into the jack, I realized that there were two "outputs" available in the sound functionality.  One switches to headphones with the headphones plugged in, the other is permanently headphones.  I do not understand why, but I am able to output sound to the built in speakers.  This is by far the most seamless hackintosh I've ever done.  thanks again.

Folks - Reposted the new zip today as I am not sure I got kexts updated right. sorry.

23-October-2014 Update

• Clover r2967 - or stay on r2953 - it is still fine.
  • Recompiled VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.8.13 with added Lenovo T420 sections for Keyboard/TouchPad/TrackPoint
  • Bumped the ACPIBatteryManager.kext up to v1.53
  • Added Platforms.xml file for use with Docking Station (and No-Dock default) option in AppleHDA_20672.kext

This last thing is an option is to support people who have a Dock (Station). And perhaps not confuse the many who do not have a Dock.

There are 2 files in AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Resources

Platforms.xml.zlib.dock and Platforms.xml.zlib.nodock

The "dock" version adds the 2nd audio output called "Headphones" and a 2nd Input "Line In" - both of which are on the Docking Station itself.

IF you have a dock - then just replace the Platforms.xml.zlib file with Platforms.xml.zlib.dock

IF you DO NOT have a dock, then use the new kext as is! (and not be confused by the extra Input/Output options!!!)

• Like 2

@tluck, thanks, got rid of my mystery boot options. It was indeed the logical OS volume, but after tinkering with trying to turn filevault on (just boots to black screen, so had to turn it back off), I have one entry now.

Query: if I replace my CPU with an i7-2640m and the screen with a 1600x900 panel, will just replacing my config be sufficient?

@tluck hi, i remember a long time ago i tested nvram without EmuVariable :

How to test NVRAM ?

Open Terminal in OS X, type:

sudo nvram MyVar=TestValue

Then type this to show the current NVRAM:

nvram -p

You will see:

MyVar   TestValue

after rebooting, type nvram –p in Terminal and if you can still see the previous result then your NVRAM is working

-----

and it wasn't working , i got no value after reboot... clover team has managed to unlock nvram write ability? this test was working with T420 before?

i'll test it with new clover but can't right now, bye 

Folks - 3's a charm right!? Anyway, Reposted the new zip once again - pretty sure I got kexts updated right for 10.9 and 10.10. they worked for me now on Mavericks and Yosemite.

@Tetonne - thanks for quick test and reply. sorry.

@sot_22 - nvram. it may not even boot if nvram is not there. see guide for details. but here is the gist:

save nvram settings to file

remove EmuVariable.efi driver

reboot

check nvram is working

restore extra nvram settings from file

reboot

23-October-2014 Update

• Clover r2967 - or stay on r2953 - it is still fine.
  • Recompiled VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.8.13 with added Lenovo T420 sections for Keyboard/TouchPad/TrackPoint
  • Bumped the ACPIBatteryManager.kext up to v1.53
  • Added Platforms.xml file for use with Docking Station (and No-Dock default) option in AppleHDA_20672.kext

This last thing is an option is to support people who have a Dock (Station). And perhaps not confuse the many who do not have a Dock.

There are 2 files in AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Resources

Platforms.xml.zlib.dock and Platforms.xml.zlib.nodock

The "dock" version adds the 2nd audio output called "Headphones" and a 2nd Input "Line In" - both of which are on the Docking Station itself.

IF you have a dock - then just replace the Platforms.xml.zlib file with Platforms.xml.zlib.dock

IF you DO NOT have a dock, then use the new kext as is! (and not be confused by the extra Input/Output options!!!)

@d@ng

hmm not sure. did you do something like format the filesystem with encryption? or turn on file vault? seems like it cannot get at certain files.

To make sure i didn't break something lately, i just re-tested the process of clean installation of 10.10.0 and saw no issues. not sure here, but since you are doing a clean install, i would just reformat using Mac OS Extended Journaled and reinstall.

Thank tluck, it works now :)

Yosemite has an option to turn on disk encryption when install. I just follow what's recommended and turned it on without knowledge what it do :P

last pack installed (T420_UEFI-Clover-b2967_10.8_10.9_10.10_2014-10-23)

Everything OK :)

Huge thanks to tluck and to all the people who help him to provide the stuff

(previous post deleted cos there not usefull anymore.)

idea to clean the thread :  any of us delete his old posts that are not usefull anymore

post-1077361-0-33067100-1414340113_thumb.png

Post install Clover

After installing Clover, I notice that it does not install to the correct location on EFI disk0s1. Clover seems to be installing the EFI folder along side with my Application, System etc folders. I Can copy the EFI contents from the OS X directory  over to EFI disk0s1 and clover will work without the USB pen. 

Can someone please advise why Clover is installing into the OS X directory ?

Thanks in advance. 

post-1077361-0-33067100-1414340113_thumb.png

@glasgreat

i suspect the Clover installer cannot support/figure out the logical volume Yosemite put on your disk0. Clover probably looks at disk1 (boot/running disk) vs disk0 and does not see an EFI partition there so it gives up. so...

1) manually copy the EFI stuff to the ESP

2) revert to regular volume vs logical volume (that's what i did)

@tluck

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's sorted.

I simply reverted back to a regular volume as per your advise with the following commands.

sudo diskutil corestorage list

sudo diskutil corestorage revert 08161A74-0FAE-4323-B371-46D9EFBAB715

Where 08161A74-0FAE-4323-B371-46D9EFBAB715 is my UUID string for my logical volume. 

:) 

Hi hi,

first of all I need to bring a big "Thank you" to tluck!!!

This is my first OSx86 contact in years, and the first was just a simple VM-Install of 10.6. Tried the ##### way on saturday but it didn't detect my T420s screen correctly... Then I found your guide and I just ran through it, worked like a charm till I booted the first time after finishing the setup and copying the *.kexts's

I'm now stuck at:

Waiting for DSMOS...
Resetting IOCatalogue.

UbLko.jpg

I already booted into Singleuser Mode and replaced the kext boot that didn't change anything. As I said this is my first intense contact in years and I hope you can help...

Just realizied in safe-mode while trying to follow:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6836-lenovo-x201-boot-problem-after-edp-install/&do=findComment&comment=40878

that Clover created an /EFI folder on my root Volume... I've moved it to EFI.bak, then I tried to have a look in the specific EFI Part, but can't mount it as there's no FS-Module for FAT in single-user-mode... Will, try in the booted installer!

Just checked with the installer /dev/disk0s1 contains EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and .. ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

Now I don't know what else to do...

Edited by mircsicz

@mircsicz

- what version of OS X are installing? seems like non of the custom kexts are loaded?

- is your disk GPT or MBR?

- how did you install the kexts exactly? meaning are the permissions right?

typically the systems boots up into the GUI after the install and one can use the kext utility to properly install the kexts (included in the zip).