Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........  This migration from EmuVariable just destroyed my perfectly working 10.9.5.  I can no longer boot to OSX. This is NOT cool.  I think we need some clearer instructions than the ones given.

@cowboy mike -- cool. I'm on vacation this week and don't have my hack with me to update it. seems like a small update so may not affect any of the custom kexts?

@skoon432 - sorry to hear you had troubles. are you able to see the Clover GUI? can you get into the Shell tool? if so, maybe you could put the EmuVariable.efi drive back in place?  can you provide more detail on what happens or not? any comments on how to make the conversion less problematic?

@myeyre - thanks for posting your comments and solutions. i will add your ideas and notes to the guide about space bar etc - great tips.

But one can also create a bootable MBR formatted USB with CloverEFI. This boot method may mitigate or eliminate any random UEFI issues. The exact same EFI folder can be used. To make a bootable MBR USB:

1. Format the stick as MBR (which is usually the default) with a single FAT32 partition named USB.
  2. Optionally copy the OSX installer to USB
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app —nointeraction
  3. Then with Clover_v2k_rxxxx.pkg, install to the USB for "legacy CloverEFI" boot.  That is: Uncheck the top 2 items, and in Bootloader check the 2nd option to install boot0af.

4. After the Clover pkg installer is finished and closed, then replace the EFI/CLOVER folder just like you did on the HD. the EFI/BOOT folder is not needed. Note: the HD ESP EFI folder and USB EFI folder should be exactly the same now.

guys!

Im running windows 7, have Mavericks in vmware

I want to install mavericks on a separate HDD (in ultrabay as my 2nd HDD).

i created the USB stick followed the instructions above, but it is not bootable. only shows black screen with a text cursor

BIOS: virtualization is disabled, mode: ahci

any ideas?

some more questions:

1   regarding an MBR usb-stick, what  should be in its root folder? I now have in there mavericks installer, some boot file, and EFI/Clover. I have no EFI/BOOT, as instruction above says it is not needed

2   what exactly boot option should be selected in BIOS in my case - BothLegacy or UEFI Only? I currently have Both.

3   pardon me but what is ESP? shame on me(

4   AFAIU, the wifi card built in T420 will not work in Mac OS X?

@juxtaposse -  i don't know why it won't boot. well if you cant get a MBR USB working, then i recommend UEFI. its very easy.  ESP is the EFI system partition and is usually the 1st partition but hidden on a GPT formatted disk. So reformat the USB as GUID/GPT. and then everything will be a lot easier. set your boot option to UEFI or Both. and no the intel wifi is no-go on osx.

@juxtaposse -  i don't know why it won't boot. well if you cant get a MBR USB working, then i recommend UEFI. its very easy.  ESP is the EFI system partition and is usually the 1st partition but hidden on a GPT formatted disk. So reformat the USB as GUID/GPT. and then everything will be a lot easier. set your boot option to UEFI or Both. and no the intel wifi is no-go on osx.

thanks! with UEFI I finally managed to install it.

but not done the "Phase 2" yet..

few more questions:

1 did you disable in BIOS nvidia optimus, or even set the graphics to Discrete?

2 which wifi card will be supported in macos under t420? and btw - the intel wificard which is currently in t420 - is it built-in or pci-e sloted?

@juxtaposse

I know nearly 1,400 posts can be daunting to read, but your answers are in there. Tluck's best answer at the top has been refined and revised over its life here in this thread. Most recently tluck's re-tooled it with user-friendliness in mind. If you read it thoroughly and are able to comprehend it, you will be successful on your T420.

That said, Tluck's guide does allow for nvidia graphics to be used, however, the method is new. The full details of it are scattered within the last few pages. The information has not yet been compiled into Tluck's guide. There is a blurb in there about drop table MCFG, but I recommend you understand it before you go enabling it. T420 and T420s are not the same. Extremely similar, yes, but not the same.

To answer your second question directly indirectly, there is a compatible Dell card in this thread. Taking your bottom access cover off will answer your question 2b.

Officially, this thread supports the combination of the T420 and Clover boot loader and OSX. We help from time to time with T420 variants and even the T430 and even more rarely answer a question or two about Chamaeleon. But please keep in mind that the active members mostly have the base T420. Myself, I have a T430 (which my wife uses as a DD and I can hardly ever get to touch anymore).

Shortly, my comments will be flagged as unhelpful, but my intent is that you may be able to answer your own question more quickly by just reading or searching the thread than re-asking a question.

Honestly just trying to help.  :\

• Like 1

@veer

yes - replace intel wifi with OS X supported wifi card and then flash the box with a modified whitelist bios so it will not reject the card. these cards are often sold rebranded by HP, Dell etc on eBay. 

here are 3 options (i chose the 1st one)

Atheros AR5BHB92

- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.

Broadcom BCM94322HM8L

- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.

Atheros AR5B93

- single-band: 2.4GHz only. МасOS up to 150 Mbps, Windows up to 300 Mbps.

@adrenalation

this worked for me:

added a credit card to my appleID account.

remove all network location/interface definitions from the |System Network panel

rm        /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot and redo network interface definitions for ethernet and then wifi

(i know i know - some have found the order doesn't matter - but this is just what seems to work for me!)

if you are on Yosemite, it was very finicky and for me it took a lot of entering and reentering of ids and passwords.

seems like its looping but eventually it worked. 

Got my dw1510, got it installed, rebranded, now up and running at 300mbps and can do 20MB/s transfer rate under OSX, but only 270mbps and 10MB/s transfer rate under Windows 7, is this normal?? driver problem??

My router is Netgear WNDR3700v2 running Gargoyle v1.6.2, and using 5GHz 40MHz bandwith.

Just asking. I'm satisfied with the transfer rate, using wifi just for surfing, prefer wired giganet to do large file transfer. 

Now my OSX is running smoothly, wifi is up, but I couldn't help wondering(forgive my greedness):

1, What's the real problem with discrete graphics?? So far as I read, nearly all guides and tutorial disables optimus/nvidia card or drop mcfg. Is it only because sleep problem? If I can live with it, where should I start to get discrete NVS 4200M working??

2, Card reader. also because of sleep problem??

3, Fingerprint reader. no driver?? seems detected by OSX. 

4, Expresscard. I got a USB 3.0 expresscard with NEC chip, which could be detected by OSX(showing USB controller in menu bar), but refused to work with plugged flash drives. Nevermind, just asking, maybe card problem, this very expresscard can't do hot-plug even under Windows. 

Thanks again for this greate guide. Good job, tluck. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

@myeyre - you are welcome.

0) i get 300 Mbps on OS X and either 300 or 450 (dual band) on Windows on my AR5BHB92 card . i don't have my system to check for sure. 

1) i don't have a NVS card to validate, but searching back on this forum testubabe said his card is working after dropping MCFG table (which was then added to the config)

2) card reader - never found a suitable/working driver - so gave up long ago and bought usb card reader 

3) finger print - i recall there are 3rd party drivers - TrueSuite by Authentec (espamac posted this note) for OS X. 

4) i use NEC chip express card for USB 3.  the GenericUSB kext i included is working for OS X.  i used windows to update the firmware on my card. the version does not support sleep - dismount disks before sleep and it  reloads and rescans after wake. i attach my seagate 4TB disk and another external SATA enclosure. i don't use usb flash as usb 2 is usually good enough plus the express card pulls out too easily for me.

@tluck

You are a real legend!!

0) Wifi speed: I'm happy with current speed, so let it be.

1) NVS 4200M: found testubabe's post, will keep looking into the problem.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-64?do=findComment&comment=2052587

2) Card reader: Never mind, I got USB card reader too.

3) Fingerprint: seems the TrueSuite link provided by espamac is down. Searched around, found TrueSuite causing login problems on 10.9 Mavericks. Gave up. Not a big deal. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1908748

But I read you are booting Win7 using uefi in your post following up. 

I installed win7 using uefi but got fingerprint incompatibility problem. Although lenovo provided a temp workaround but seems not so throughly, fingerprint reader got lost from time to time on boot, so I reverted back to bios boot. How do you get over it??

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Fingerprint-reader-is-not-compatible-with-UEFI-Lenovo-Tech/m-p/428847/highlight/true#M43287

4) USB3 expresscard: My card is easily pulled out too, don't use it too aften. I can live without it.

Posted a new bundle today in the guide Clover UEFI on T420 Guide based on some great work by vladichimescu.

It has 2 new kexts that should be OS version and update proof for AppleHDA.kext and Broadcom Bluetooth. 

This after you install these 2 new kexts, you will not have to replace/update the standard AppleHDA.kext or BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext anymore. (note: if you do not have the original kext thats ok too!)

Note: 

A key factor for these kexts to work is the *.kext/Contents/MacOS file should be a symbolic link to the original binary in /S/L/E. For example:

root@Toms-Mac /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS

$ ls -l

total 8

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  64 Oct 13 13:08 AppleHDA -> /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

13-October-2014 - OS X 10.8.x 10.9.x 10.10.x Update

• Clover updated to v2953
  • New custom kexts AppleHDA_20672.kext and BroadcomBluetooth_T420.kext are added. Huge thanks to vladichimescu for showing me this kext method.
  • All custom/extra kexts are OS version independent. 
  • New Clover config.plist files for on-the-fly HDA kext patching. No need to replace any kexts after updates anymore

Please let me know if this is working or not for you! 

• Like 1

Posted a new bundle today in the guide Clover UEFI on T420 Guide based on some great work by vladichimescu.

It has 2 new kexts that should be OS version and update proof for AppleHDA.kext and Broadcom Bluetooth. 

This after you install these 2 new kexts, you will not have to replace/update the standard AppleHDA.kext or BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext anymore. (note: if you do not have the original kext thats ok too!)

Note: 

A key factor for these kexts to work is the *.kext/Contents/MacOS file should be a symbolic link to the original binary in /S/L/E. For example:

$ ls -l

total 8

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  64 Oct 13 13:08 AppleHDA -> /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

• New custom kexts AppleHDA_20672.kext and BroadcomBluetooth_T420.kext are added. Huge thanks to vladichimescu for showing me this kext method.
  • New Clover config.plist files for on-the-fly HDA kext patching. No need to replace any kexts after updates anymore

Thanks for that

thanks vladichimescu

i was using symbolic link to the destination folder to be able to copy the kext in open symbolic link

this way is better even if my way can be used for ethernet.kext

thanks a lot :)

Hi all!

Does anybody use the t420's trackpoint? I'm now on 10.9.5 and experiencing the issue with dragging objects (e.g., windows).

Though both - touchpad and mouse - work work flawlessly. Now i disabled touchpad in BIOS to make sure it doesnot interfere

-- Tried these versions of voodooPS2controller :

-- Tried ImmediateClick as described in https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

not sure that this is relevant to my issue -))

Could anybody confirm that draggin with trackpoint works ok on your systems?

• Like 1

@juxtaposse

not sure why you have an issue. not very often but my TrackPoint has disappeared. reboot fixes it. do you have any other conflicting kexts? should just have VoodooPS2 right? i have no idea if this matters or not - is bios up to date on 1.46?

i don't use TrackPoint very often. However, I can drag a window with the TrackPoint by holding the left button down with thump and moving the red dot with finger. 

same as TouchPad - hold left button down with thumb and move window around with finger on TrackPad.

using  VoodooPS v1.8.3 from the Guide pack. 

@testubabe, @tluck

thanks for taking time!

Actually my TrackPoint does drag, but too many attempts to drag a window - first succesfull, and then 10 unsuccesfull. tried to regulate thumb pressure - seems it doesnt matter.

again, in windows 7 - it works ok.

and in mac os - touchpad and mouse on voodoops2 - work fine

@tluck

1 issue appeared on bios 1.46 both official and hacked

2 I only have voododPS.. but just in case - how could I verify whether i have conflicting kexts?

UPD: btw my ps2 devices never disapeared, even after sleep - its been a week already

@tluck

could you please add to your instruction the following troubleshooting? if you think it's helpful..   (personally, i am, being a newbie, spent couple of hours finding the solution :)

1  If you don't have the sound play through internal speakers (though appleHDA kext installed properly, and in Mac OS  sound prefpane the Internal Speakers device selected)  - try to plug/unplug the headphone jack. Should work ok.

2  If you installed broadcomm kext according instruction but still don't see bluetooth in Mac OS - make sure you have it turned on under Windows (or Ubuntu): the Bluetooth indicator on LCD bezel (near the T420 label)  must glow green.

@myeyre - don´t w.a.s.t.e your time , it makes no sense.....Safari freezes at playing Youtube-video, DVD Player and VLC crashes ,

since I tried booting OS X with internal Efi ( that test ended with a cursor in the upper left side and nothing more happened)

starting up with NVS works, but the screen stays dark....

actually, I´m downloading Yosemite, let´s wait and see...

Writing a guide...hm, all I did was enabling discrete graphics and optimus in bios,disabling bluethooth (in bios)

and dropping mcfg in clover config.plist .

restarted and reached the desktop, system profiler showed Nvs as active .

Wish you good luck, have fun...

No upload permission, so....sorry  :-)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Firewire</key>
<false/>
<key>HDA</key>
<false/>
<key>HDMI</key>
<false/>
<key>IDE</key>
<false/>
<key>IntelGFX</key>
<false/>
<key>LAN</key>
<false/>
<key>LPC</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
<key>SATA</key>
<false/>
<key>SmBUS</key>
<false/>
<key>USB</key>
<false/>
<key>WIFI</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>Fixes</key>
<dict>
<key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
<true/>
<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
<true/>
<key>AddIMEI_80000</key>
<false/>
<key>AddMCHC_0008</key>
<false/>
<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
<true/>
<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
<false/>
<key>FIX_INTELGFX_100000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_TMR_40000</key>
<true/>
<key>FIX_WAK_200000</key>
<false/>
<key>FakeLPC_0020</key>
<false/>
<key>FixAirport_4000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
<true/>
<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
<true/>
<key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
<false/>
<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixHPET_0010</key>
<false/>
<key>FixIDE_0200</key>
<false/>
<key>FixIPIC_0040</key>
<true/>
<key>FixLAN_2000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
<true/>
<key>FixSATA_0400</key>
<false/>
<key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
<true/>
<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
<false/>
<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
<true/>
<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
</dict>
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>SSDT</string>
<key>TableId</key>
<string>CpuPm</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>MCFG</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>ResetAddress</key>
<string>0x0CF9</string>
<key>ResetValue</key>
<string>0x06</string>
<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Generate</key>
<dict>
<key>CStates</key>
<false/>
<key>PStates</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>slide=0 -v NoCaches</string>
<key>CustomLogo</key>
<false/>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Mavericks1</string>
<key>Fast</key>
<false/>
<key>IgnoreNVRAMBoot</key>
<true/>
<key>Log</key>
<true/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>5</integer>
<key>UseAlternateLogo</key>
<true/>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>12</string>
</dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<false/>
<key>USB</key>
<dict>
<key>AddClockID</key>
<true/>
<key>FixOwnership</key>
<true/>
<key>HighCurrent</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>UseIntelHDMI</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>Windows</string>
</array>
<key>Mouse</key>
<dict>
<key>DoubleClick</key>
<integer>500</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Speed</key>
<integer>8</integer>
</dict>
<key>Scan</key>
<dict>
<key>Entries</key>
<true/>
<key>Legacy</key>
<false/>
<key>Tool</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>ScreenResolution</key>
<string>960x600</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>ThinkPad</string>
</dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>LCD 1600x900</string>
<key>CustomEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wAw5OICAAAAAAEUAQOAHxF46jOFmVZVkScXUFQAAAABAQEBAQEB
AQEBAQEBAQEBgCVAgGCEGjAwIDUANq4QAAAYQB9AgGCEGjAwIDUANq4QAAAY
AAAA/gBMZW5vdm8KICAgICAgAAAA/gAxNjAweDkwMAogICAgAMc=
</data>
<key>DualLink</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>InjectEDID</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
<true/>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Replace 4th port with VGA</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AQIEABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABgIAABAAAAAJAAAA
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>TRIM for SSD</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
QVBQTEUgU1NE
</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
AAAAAAAAAAAA
</data>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>BoardVersion</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
                <key>SerialNumber</key>
                <string>W89F9196DH3G</string>
                <key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
                <string>94245B3640C91C81</string>
<key>Mobile</key>
<true/>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
<key>Trust</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<false/>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Yosemite - download finished , trying to install right now....bye

Note: 

$ ls -l

total 8

Hey tluck,

I've gone through the process listed, but still 'no output devices found' after upgrading to 10.9.5.  The process I did:

- Downloaded your bundle from 10/13

- Used the Kext Utility to install AppleHDA_20672.kext

- Opened Terminal CD /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS

- ls -l

- Reboot, still no sound.

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks for you time....

Hey tluck,

I've gone through the process listed, but still 'no output devices found' after upgrading to 10.9.5.  The process I did:

- Downloaded your bundle from 10/13

- Used the Kext Utility to install AppleHDA_20672.kext

- Opened Terminal CD /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS

- ls -l

- Reboot, still no sound.

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks for you time....

Just install the kext

repair with kext utility

reboot just works

FYI...

Yosemite 10.10(.0) build v14A389  is out!

Downloaded Install OS X Yosemite.app from App Store

Now this whole thing took a little more than 1 hour:

Built installer on USB. 

Boot/Run Installer from USB (I wanted to test it out vs run install directly from download)

Notes:  

"about a second left" -  was more like 5 minutes or so.

After 1st reboot, the installer runs and completes the installation - "about a minute left" was more like 5 again!

Finally, after the install panel completed and I logged in, I did do this to rebuild caches. (I did not have to reinstall any custom kexts. )

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo reboot

@kmann1414 - do you have sound? did you replace  Clover config.plist? this new config.plist is needed as well to patch the original apple binary beside just installing the AppleHDA_20672.kext.

run this to check:

kextstat | grep HDA

for example:

$ kextstat|grep HDA

97    2 0xffffff7f82013000 0xf000     0xf000     com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (266.5) <5 4 3 1>

98    1 0xffffff7f82022000 0x1a000    0x1a000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (266.5) <97 79 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>

116    0 0xffffff7f82134000 0xa7000    0xa7000    com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (999.99) <115 98 97 81 79 77 6 5 4 3 1>

120    0 0xffffff7f8222a000 0x2000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver (266.5) <4 3>

• Like 1