Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@tluck, i had toruble because my notebook doesn't have UEFI only bios, i'm able to choose from bios legacy/uefi. Even if I choose uefi only and format the hdd as gpt(as you instructed), after I've finished installing, the os doesn't want to boot. The boot menu(F12) appears and even if I choose the hdd on witch iI installed the OS it doesn't boot, the boot menu window keeps appearing. The only way i've managed to install dual boot os x and windows was with the bios set on legacy mode and I formatted the drive as MBR. I admit I didn't use your tutorial to create a bootable USB Yosemite, instead, I've used http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299067-boot-usb-os-x-yosemite-v1cloverchameleon/ version 2. After creating the installer I replaced the necessary files to be able to install to a mbr formatted drive. After that i've followed the steps from your gide, placed the dsdt in the correct folder, renamed the folder and the config.plist, etc. 

Also I've noticed something strange, I don't know if it is rellevant. Initially I've installed Yosemite to my msata ssd drive but after a few restarts the computer gave me an error that there is no HDD installed. If I use the bootable USB I'm able to start the OS, but whithout I keep geting the same error. So I installed Yosemite on the sata drive and I dind't had any problems so far. Is clover somehow incompatible with msata drives? Thank you.

@d.u.o

sorry, i have to ask - did you install the clover zip contents to your GPT formatted HD or USB in the EFI folder?

An easy way to boot clover, is to create a GPT/GUID formatted USB.

Take a 4 GB or larger USB and use diskutility to reformat with a single HFS partition (click options to set mode to GPT).

it will actually have 2 partitions.

mount the first ESP (named EFI) partition from the USB and copy the zip contents - all of it to the USB /Volumes/EFI location.

so you have both folders

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT and

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER

simply:

rename ACPI.1366x768 to ACPI

rename config.1366x768.plist config.plist

select USB via F12 to boot up clover

the T420 will look at the format of each disk to determine how to boot from it.

if MBR will look for boot0 in the MBR.

if GPT looks for BOOTx64.efi in /EFI/BOOT/

if you want to stay with Chameleon thats fine. there is no reason the kexts will not work for that boot loader.

if you are testing yosemite, you may need to add kext-dev-mode=1 to the boot args so it will ignore the custom kext signatures.

personally i have not tried an mSATA drive. (I use SATA and SSD.) so can't say why you are having trouble with it.

New bundle for DP8: Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

Just downloaded and installed the update package for DP8 ... which should be pretty much the same as the Beta 3 update if you are on that track. 

Nothing particularly new for Mavericks users in this bundle - but feel free to update any custom kexts, etc. This bundle has the 2 updated Apple kexts for 10.10 DP8. Again AppleHDA and the Broadcom bluetooth kext was changed in this DP update.

Since I am using a non-Clover generated set of MLB and ROM values, iMessage continued to work fine for me. However, I hope others see the same results that Cowboy Mike reported regarding iMessage or FaceTime!

Note: I recommend re-indexing your drives after Yosemite installation - seems to fix up problems with odd space reports and missing files on searches. For example on the system partition you can run:

sudo mdutil -E /

16-September-2014 - 10.10 DP8/Beta Update

• Clover updated to r2910 (r2890 is latest posted on Sourceforge - either is fine)
  • FakeSMC updated to 6.11.1328
  • Added drop table MCFG for Nvidia/Optimus (mixed gfx)
  • Added drop table DMAR so VT-d does not have to be disabled
  • ACPIBacklight.kext - v2.0.3 - with modified code to fix/workaround for LCD brightness in Yosemite.
  • Added 10.10 kext folder (AppleHDA.kext and BroadcomBluetooth kext are different)
  • Note: To make an Yosemite USB installer, just follow the 10.9 Mavericks method
Edited by tluck
  • Like 2

New bundle for DP8: Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

Just downloaded and installed the update package for DP8 ... which should be pretty much the same as the Beta 3 update if you are on that track. 

Nothing particularly new for Mavericks users in this bundle - but feel free to update any custom kexts, etc. This bundle has the 2 updated Apple kexts for 10.10 DP8. Again AppleHDA and the Broadcom bluetooth kext was changed in this DP update.

Since I am using a non-Clover generated set of MLB and ROM values, iMessage continued to work fine for me. However, I hope others see the same results that Cowboy Mike reported regarding iMessage or FaceTime!

Note: I recommend re-indexing your drives after Yosemite installation - seems to fix up problems with odd space reports and missing files on searches. For example on the system partition you can run:

sudo mdutil -E /

16-September-2014 - 10.10 DP8/Beta Update

• Clover updated to r2910 (r2890 is latest posted on Sourceforge - either is fine)
  • ACPIBacklight.kext - v2.0.3 - with modified code to fix/workaround for LCD brightness in Yosemite.
  • Added 10.10 kext folder (AppleHDA.kext and BroadcomBluetooth kext are different)
  • Note: To make an Yosemite USB installer, just follow the 10.9 Mavericks method

How you created a non clover generated MLB and ROM value?
have you extracted them from a real mac?

thx

tluck,

Thanks for much for you work on this. Followed the directions and have my t420s working with 10.9.5. With a little extra searching I got the screen brightness fn keys working.

I have a few questions..

I noticed an error about LPC not being initialized, not sure you have also seen that error message before? I did find a post saying to not drop the MCFG table. Not sure what the impact of this would be?

For some reason I have two batteries listed in the battery monitor. Not sure this is normal or not?

@eilatuna - i ran a tool called imessage_debug on a real mac to see what are MLB and ROM values it used. and then i have clover inject these instead of coming up with its own values.

@IHateAliases - sounds good. there maybe be some differences between the DSDT for a T420 vs T420s. you should not have to drop the MCFG table unless you are having problems with PCI and/or have a 2nd gfx (optimus/nvidia) card.  dropping it didn't seem to bother my system. however, you could remove the MCFG drop lines in the config.plist. hmm.

not sure about the double battery thing. again maybe a dsdt thing?  i have not upgraded to 10.9.5 yet. but will do that when i get back home.

@eilatuno -

note: these are fake values

run imessage_debug on a mac and you get output something like this:

2014-09-18 21:06:15.744 imessage_debug[88950:717741] 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM: <1c2df32ac 4abc>

2014-09-18 21:06:15.745 imessage_debug[88950:717741] 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB: C02012300UDDDMRAC

i then put a new section into the config.plist using a plist editor by cutting and pasting the values above and it looks something like this:

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
      <key>MLB</key>
      <string>C02012300UDDDMRAC</string>
      <key>ROM</key>
      <data>
      AcLfMqxKvA==
      </data>
</dict>
  • Like 1

Anybody installed 10.9.5? Any issues? Thanks.

I did it without any issue (apple menu update…)

i have no sound anymore (but i did not take the time to put kext again, i was too lazy)

so it's explained.

I will do it this WE

update : sound back with 10.9.5 added to bundle at  Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

20-September-2014 - 10.9.5 and 10.10 DP8/Beta Update

thanks to tluck :)

• Like 1

Just got to it last night. No obvious issues so far. but i have been running on yosemite for awhile despite a few bugs in finder and mail.

10.9.5 added to bundle at  Clover UEFI on T420 Guide

20-September-2014 - 10.9.5 and 10.10 DP8/Beta Update

• Clover updated to v2912 (2890 is latest posted)
  • ACPIBacklight.kext - v2.0.3 - with modified code to fix/workaround for LCD brightness in Yosemite.
  • Updated 10.10 kexts folder (10.10.DP8 AppleHDA and BroadcomBluetooth kexts + Hackintosh Kexts)
  • Updated 10.9  kexts folder (10.9.5 AppleHDA and BroadcomBluetooth kexts + Hackintosh Kexts)
Edited by tluck
  • Like 3

Yosemite 10.10 GM update on Clover UEFI on T420 Guide.

used apple store update and all went well.

it installed new AppleHDA and BroadcomBluetooth kexts again.

so replace those!

30-September-2014 - 10.9.5 and 10.10 GM1 Update

• Clover updated to v2932
  • Removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver to use native NVRAM (vs /nvram.plist) - see note in guide on how to migrate.

Also, see the guide for those that want use Hibernation mode. Need to install OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi instead of standard OsxAptioFix-64.efi (file not included in zip at this time)

This is still pretty experimental but it works mostly. System will boot from the hibernated image, but LCD will be a bit scrambled until you close lid and then do a quick sleep/wake cycle.

• Like 1

@Tluck

I used your EFI directly on my x220 with x220 dsdt to boot 10.10 PB4. Everything seems OK except that the power light is always blinking after waking from sleep. The sleeping is also not normal.The sleep light is on without blinking first after closing the lid. Do you have any idea how to fix it? Thanks.

[sOLVED] Just hit Space bar to come over it.

@Tluck

I came across several problems as below, I think it should be better to note them in this great guide:

1, When boots up the installer sticking at: 

"To pair a Bluetooth keyboard, turn it on and wait for your computer to connect to it.”

Just hit Space bar to come over it.

2, When installer hangs at: 

"About a second remaining”

Don’t Panic!! 

This very second takes about 10 minutes or more to go, just wait for the installer reboot the computer and continue the installation.

The whole install process take nearly 1 hour to complete.

3, When first boot from HD, asked: 

“How Do You Connect?”

Select:

“My computer does not connect to the Internet”

and set up network later after install the NIC driver.

And, thanks for this great guide!! I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 now, grab a dw1510 another day. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the great work. 

I tried T420_UEFI-Clover-b2932-10.8.8_10.9.5_10.10.GM1_2014-09-30.zip with Mavericks 10.9.5 and 10.9.4, both got stuck at asking for bluetooth keyboard screen. USB mouse working but no luck with internal keyboard. And I got no USB keyboard at home...

I followed the instructions: patition with GUID, createinstallmedia, rename ACPI.1366x768 and config.1366x768.plist, disable optimus and virtulization. 

I got one msata ssd and another one in ultrabay, did that causing the problem?? They both works under Windows7. Currently I'm booting Windows from msata, and is planning to erase the ultrabay ssd for Mavericks.

I got Thinkpad T420(4180-J4C) Core i5-2410M/HD3000/NVS 4200M(disabled)/1366x768/8G.

Did I miss something or the VoodooPS2 broken?

[sOLVED]

Boot up using Windows 8 disk and Shift-F10 to open command window, use diskpart>>list volume to get corresponding drive letter, then

bcdboot f:\windows /s d: /f uefi

to copy uefi boot files to reserved partition. where f:\ is my Windows 7 drive and d: is its reserved partition.

It seems to work only if the BIOS set to "Legacy First", or get a BSOD. And the boot screen only a progress bar, no Windows logo, But it boots.

Then I tried to set Windows 7 to default.Hit F2 in Clover boot menu to store log to preboot.log, get corresponding device path and add it into the config.list.

Done. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys. 

Currently I select boot disk using F12 in BIOS. Is there a way to dual boot using bootmgr or Clover??

The OSX lays on one disk using GPT and Windows lays on another disk using MBR. 

Thanks in advanced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to play with config.plist, comment out GUI>>Hide>>Windows, and set Scan>>Legacy=true, Windows partitions showed up but won't boot after a XP style Windows logo, and OSX boot failed too. I had to boot into Windows using F12, mount the ESP and revert config.plist to original. 

Yosemite 10.10 GM update on Clover UEFI on T420 Guide.

used apple store update and all went well.

it installed new AppleHDA and BroadcomBluetooth kexts again.

so replace those!

30-September-2014 - 10.9.5 and 10.10 GM1 Update

• Clover updated to v2932
  • Removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver to use native NVRAM (vs /nvram.plist) - see note in guide on how to migrate.

Also, see the guide for those that want use Hibernation mode. Need to install OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi instead of standard OsxAptioFix-64.efi (file not included in zip at this time)

This is still pretty experimental but it works mostly. System will boot from the hibernated image, but LCD will be a bit scrambled until you close lid and then do a quick sleep/wake cycle.

So now it is using the native NVRAM. Does this mean iMessage will be working? I need a little clarification. What exactly is needed to get iMessage and FaceTime working?

Do I need a real mac to extract the MLB and ROM values, then place them into RtVariables? Please excuse my poor understanding of this subject, I'm trying!

What does removing EmuVariable mean?  it means now the nvram variables/values are now kept in the bios vs a file on disk.  we don't need EmuVariable.efi to emulate nvram anymore as Clover (and OS X) can read from "NVRAM". So that's 1 less driver and that has some other benefits derived not reading and writing to a file.

As far as iMessage - I'm no expert here, but i learned a lot recently. So instead of trying to summarize - there is a amazingly comprehensive post by jaymonkey (search "jaymonkey fix iMessage" and read on. (sorry to be indirect but it is posted on a certain  (*x86) website - not mentionable in this forum). the author is a clover fan and explains very clearly what one needs to do in Step-5d. Read all of Step-5 for good background. Anyway, for me, I am using real MLB and ROM values currently set by RtVariable section of config.plist. ... but according to this post, this method may become deprecated or obsolete. (will add my values to nvram!) 

• Like 1

Thanks tluck, I was able to finally get iMessage/Facetime to work.

I followed the iMessage posting you mentioned, Step-5d, specifically following the excerpt below.

After entering the values for ROM and MLB as described there, and making sure it was not changing between reboots, I got the contacting oracle support message (described in Step-8).

I called apple with the code provided in the message and they unlocked my imessage without problems.

The official (new) method of injecting/specifying the ROM & MLB values for Clover is as follows:

ROM: This will now be read from the last 6 bytes of the 'SmUUID' field. If you have nothing in the SmUUID field then Clover will try to use your BIOS's SystemId (see Part-2 of the guide) however, I personally think it's always best to override The BIOS (even if it does not suffer from the SId bug) and to use the terminal command 'uuidgen' to generate a new random value (See Part-2, Step 7, Path-C). Enter the generated UUID as the SmUUID value on the SMBIOS page. If this is a new OSX Install then you can leave it like that. If you want to keep you old ROM value then replace the last 6 bytes of SmUUID with the ROM value you were using before which is normally the MAC address of an ethernet port (usually en0).

Note: It is important to understand that configuring Clover like this will cause your existing Hardware (Platform) UUID to change (if it's an existing install). Whilst this in-it's-self is not a problem it will change the identity of your system from your previous install which in-turn may cause some user profile settings to be changed due to the Hardware (Platform) UUID being used as a key value for storing critical OSX configuration against.

MLB: This is now read from the 'Board Serial Number' field on the SMBIOS page, on a clean Clover install this is defaulted to Clovers own set value which is now black-listed on Apples systems. You therefore must replace this with your existing MLB value (on an existing install) or use your OSX S/N + Random Alpha / Numeric digits to make it up to 17 digits.

• Like 1

Thanks tluck, I was able to finally get iMessage/Facetime to work.

I followed the iMessage posting you mentioned, Step-5d, specifically following the excerpt below.

After entering the values for ROM and MLB as described there, and making sure it was not changing between reboots, I got the contacting oracle support message (described in Step-8).

I called apple with the code provided in the message and they unlocked my imessage without problems.

The official (new) method of injecting/specifying the ROM & MLB values for Clover is as follows:

ROM: This will now be read from the last 6 bytes of the 'SmUUID' field. If you have nothing in the SmUUID field then Clover will try to use your BIOS's SystemId (see Part-2 of the guide) however, I personally think it's always best to override The BIOS (even if it does not suffer from the SId bug) and to use the terminal command 'uuidgen' to generate a new random value (See Part-2, Step 7, Path-C). Enter the generated UUID as the SmUUID value on the SMBIOS page. If this is a new OSX Install then you can leave it like that. If you want to keep you old ROM value then replace the last 6 bytes of SmUUID with the ROM value you were using before which is normally the MAC address of an ethernet port (usually en0).

Note: It is important to understand that configuring Clover like this will cause your existing Hardware (Platform) UUID to change (if it's an existing install). Whilst this in-it's-self is not a problem it will change the identity of your system from your previous install which in-turn may cause some user profile settings to be changed due to the Hardware (Platform) UUID being used as a key value for storing critical OSX configuration against.

MLB: This is now read from the 'Board Serial Number' field on the SMBIOS page, on a clean Clover install this is defaulted to Clovers own set value which is now black-listed on Apples systems. You therefore must replace this with your existing MLB value (on an existing install) or use your OSX S/N + Random Alpha / Numeric digits to make it up to 17 digits.

Exactly this. Read this same bit of info, generated a new SmUUID, and put in a valid serial number according to my machine specs (which is not hard to find), and it worked. Though I had to unlock my appleid email by calling apple support, and thanks to some fast talking asian male, I was able to get my facetime and imessage working. New way of doing things with Clover seems more efficient and streamlined.

Any idea why I have two clover boot Yosemite entries?