Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

1) I have been using the one in your package.  Previously I had no problems with using your dsdt with Mavericks  I have tried booting with the nodsdt config.. same problem.

2) my hd is guid. BTW I had tried a clean new install this afternoon, and I have the same situation.

3) I have tried safe boot and various combinations.. same problem.  with verbose boot it fades to black very early so I cannot see.

4) Yes.  I agree that it is hard to understand why one boots and the other does not, but that is what is happening. 

Hi all,

I got a random reboot after upgrading to 10.10.1. I don't know how to debug it. I can not find anything useful in system log / clover boot log. But I noticed it happens when I touch any keyboard keys while the display sleep. 

Any clues guys?

@rolitab - the video is too low resolution to really see what you are describing. hmm. did you try setting your LCD to 50 HZ instead of 60?

- the ripple effect to check quartz/ce - change System Preferences/Mission Control - to set Dashboard as Overlay. then add a widget in the dashboard. will ripple on addition - does not do this when "as space".

I'm sorry for that low res video, I'll try to get a better camera to capture it. I tried all 3 options in Refresh rate "50 Hz", "60 Hz" and "60 Hz" again. For some reason there are two "60 Hz" in the list. I found an article on the topic: LED Backlight Flicker in LCD Displays. In the section "Strobe Effect" Due to Low Backlight Frequency" there is a video, and I have this effect like a display on the left side. I was thinking that it is happening due to low quality of display, but the fact that no one else in the topic have it makes me wonder.

Strange, but I have this effect only in OS X, in Windows it is fine.

And yes, I've set the Dashboard "As Overlay" and I still see that beaufiful effect of a widget being put in the water. 

Thank you very much for trying to help.

@parcox - presume computer is not sleeping but is your display sleeping or is it using a screen saver?

@xchlee - did you disable VT-d in the BIOS - if not try that. so boot from USB - are using MBR boot vs UEFI?

@rolitab - did you try removing ACPIBacklight kext? you could and try disable 2D acceleration to see if the flickering stops. i know this would not be a solution but i can help figure out what the problem is? 

Quartz Debug can do this.  i vaguely recall a similar effect may be what you describe on an old T60 laptop and watching you-tube with flash player.

@xchlee - hmm. are you able to boot UEFI from a USB (i.e. format it GUID and install in EFI on USB)? what version of bios? nothing like security turned on? meaning bios is set to defaults except VT-d and AHCI?  very weird to just fade after the boot starts and why does it boot from MBR? not sure if there are other T420S users that can provide better guidance?

@Tluck/NVS-Users----Dropping MCFG at our own risk....well,why not. LPC´s not loaded...so what ?

According to Intel Power Gadget, speedstep (P-States) is fully functional.

IMHO, c-state power management only affects the `deepness` of sleep and some minor

energy saving mechanism, so there´s no big problem--please correct me, if you got more or other info about.

Since I added -NoCaches to boot-arguments, T420 is booting directly without the lid-gimmick (with discrete

graphics enabled in bios).

I´d like to upload my config.plist, dsdl.aml and ssdt.aml for nvs-users to make their own tests,

but I don´t have the permission.

I can´t find the osx86 quiz Part 2 to pass it and get the permission-am I too dump and silly to find it or is it gone ?

@tluck, hey guy, thx very much for your effort on T420. We T420ers benefit a lot from you^ω^! When I use NullCPUPowerManagement, my T420 sleeps and wakes well. Since I have my T420 speedstep work, I found when my laptop wake from sleep, the sleep icon on the back keeps bright and the power button keeps breathing slowly. I try to modify my DSDT with yours in the _PTS and _wak, but it doesn't work, just makes the power button breath more quickly, however. I'm not good at modify the DSDT, could you be do me a favour to modify my DSDT? Or your advice on how to patch it? As if I can't attach my dsdt... so I paste it instead

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
    {
        Store (One, Local0)
        If (LEqual (Arg0, SPS))
        {
            Store (Zero, Local0)
        }

If (LOr (LEqual (Arg0, Zero), LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x06)))
        {
            Store (Zero, Local0)
        }

If (Local0)
        {
            Store (Arg0, SPS)
            \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.MHKE (Zero)
            If (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.KBLT)
            {
                UCMS (0x0D)
            }

If (LEqual (Arg0, One))
            {
                Store (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFNI, FNID)
                Store (Zero, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFNI)
                Store (Zero, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HFSP)
            }

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
            {
                VVPD (0x03)
                TRAP ()
                Store (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.AC._PSR (), ACST)
            }

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
            {
                \_SB.SLPB._PSW (Zero)
                TRAP ()
                \_SB.PCI0.LPC.TPM.CMOR ()
                AWON (0x04)
            }

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
            {
                Store (Zero, SLPE)
                Sleep (0x10)
                TRAP ()
                \_SB.PCI0.LPC.TPM.CMOR ()
                AWON (0x05)
            }

\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.BPTS (Arg0)
            If (LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
            {
                Store (Zero, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HWLB)
            }
            Else
            {
                Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HWLB)
            }

If (LNotEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
            {
                Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HCMU)
                Store (\_SB.PCI0.EXP4.PDS, \_SB.PCI0.EXP4.PDSF)
                Store (\_SB.PCI0.EXP5.PDS, \_SB.PCI0.EXP5.PDSF)
            }

\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.WGPS (Arg0)
        }
    }

Name (WAKI, Package (0x02)
    {
        Zero, 
        Zero
    })
    Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
    {
        If (LOr (LEqual (Arg0, Zero), LGreaterEqual (Arg0, 0x05)))
        {
            Return (WAKI)
        }

@testubabe - since i don't have NVS/Optimus - so i post what i use for similar hw. so if you want to put your stuff on google drive just pm me a link and will provide a configuration for NVS.

@pmgh10 - what is your laptop model? if its a T420 why don't you use the DSDT in the zip? i fixed all the breathing lights and speedstep, sleep, wake is working perfectly now?

@testubabe - since i don't have NVS/Optimus - so i post what i use for similar hw. so if you want to put your stuff on google drive just pm me a link and will provide a configuration for NVS.

@pmgh10 - what is your laptop model? if its a T420 why don't you use the DSDT in the zip? i fixed all the breathing lights and speedstep, sleep, wake is working perfectly now?

Yes, I have a T420 with same GPU and solution with you. Now the Speedstep, sleep and wake perfect, except the sleep moon icon keeps brighting and the power button breathing slowly. With your dsdt, I modify mine, it comes out as the power button breathing quickly as if T420 is going to sleep~~~  I'll try the clover configuration SuspendOverride & SlpSmitAtwake, hope it would work.

@tluck, I replace my DSDT with yours, now T420 sleep & wake & shutdown perfectly with the exact light as it should be. You are so awesome a guy with a warm heart , thank you again~ (For we have the same model, It is such a simple thing to solve, which I shouldn't have bothered you, shy)  Anyway, I would go on  with the hackintosh~ It's so interesting a thing :P

hi guys

I just upgrade to Yosemite without any issue but i've a small cosmetic problem :

@boot on clover GUI i've a 10.9 icon for Install 

can someone tell me how can i get ride of this

cos i'd like to have 3 icons not 4:

- my HD

- INstall

- recovery only but for 10.10

@tetonne - look in or post your boot log to see where clover is finding boot options. it maybe a leftover dot file/folder installation container in /

Hi tluck

here is my boot log

bootlog.txt

I have notice things but i'm not able to go further.

May be it's due ti nvram?

thnaks for your advices

@tetonne - look in or post your boot log to see where clover is finding boot options. it maybe a leftover dot file/folder installation container in /

Hi tluck

here is my boot log

bootlog.txt

I have notice things but i'm not able to go further.

May be it's due ti nvram?

thnaks for your advices

Thanks for everyone's hard work!!  I wanted to give my feedback and I have one question.

I'm running a Thinkpad T420, 1600x900 screen, no nvidia graphics, running OS X 10.10 beta still.  I successfully upgraded my CPU from an i5-2540m to an i7-2860QM.  To help with the added heat I used 8000 grit sandpaper and 91% rubbing alcohol to sand the mating surface of the cpu cooler to a mirror finish then applied a thin evenly distributed layer of Arctic silver 5 to the CPU core.  I get temps from 47C - 60C.  Which is pretty awesome, but my only complaint is that my CPU fan has never adjusted speed at all like it did in windows.  CPU fan controllers do not work.  I've had this issue even with the old i5-2540M.  Is there any solutions out there?  

(I have played with the BIOS options and they've done nothing for me thus far.)  

I'm going to be wiping and reloading with the production version of OS 10.10 and If there is are any fixes someone is aware of id love to know before hand =)

hmm. well. my fan runs around 1900-2000 rpm for single monitor and low usage. when i transcode video for example it runs around +/- 3500 rpm. meaning the fan does go up with heat/load. but it is controlled by bios as far as i know. doesn't seem to have lot of levels.

for control (not much) via my DSDT the ThinkVantage blue button is mapped to set fan to max speed (which runs 4500-4600) vs auto speed. i often use that mode when i need extra cooling.

hmm. well. my fan runs around 1900-2000 rpm for single monitor and low usage. when i transcode video for example it runs around +/- 3500 rpm. meaning the fan does go up with heat/load. but it is controlled by bios as far as i know. doesn't seem to have lot of levels.

for control (not much) via my DSDT the ThinkVantage blue button is mapped to set fan to max speed (which runs 4500-4600) vs auto speed. i often use that mode when i need extra cooling.

That's a good idea, I was trying to figure out why it was different, and I realized that I was using lenovo's power management software and when I placed it in maximum performance it would adjust CPU fan speed at much more aggressive pace.  Can you paste that DSDT setting for me?

Perfectly solved!

thanks a lot tluck :)

@tetonne - 

mount your Recovery HD

remove/trash all extra folders - except 1 - just keep com.apple.recovery.boot

question : cache flush bring back the others folders?

dscacheutil -flushcache

any suggestion to avoid this problem after cleaning cache?

Thanks! I FINALLY got it to work.

For those interested I got around the wifi problem by using the 7811un Edimax usb dongle and these drivers:

http://www.edimax.us/download/drivers/MAC/EW7811Un_Mac10.9_Mac10.10_Driver_83.28.10.03_UI_2.0.2.zip

I do have two questions:

1) Has anyone had issues connecting an external monitor to the VGA/displayport? I can't get an external monitor setup.

2) Can someone link to a resource on how to install additional OSes with Clover? I tried to partition during OSX install and later install Win8.1, but I could not because Win8.1 does not like MBR partition tables. That confuses me because I formatted them as GUID, but whatever. I'm new to this. I've been doing VM's up to this point, but I finally took the plunge to get closer to the metal and get better performance. 

THANKS!!

Thanks! I FINALLY got it to work.

For those interested I got around the wifi problem by using the 7811un Edimax usb dongle and these drivers:

http://www.edimax.us/download/drivers/MAC/EW7811Un_Mac10.9_Mac10.10_Driver_83.28.10.03_UI_2.0.2.zip

I do have two questions:

1) Has anyone had issues connecting an external monitor to the VGA/displayport? I can't get an external monitor setup.

2) Can someone link to a resource on how to install additional OSes with Clover? I tried to partition during OSX install and later install Win8.1, but I could not because Win8.1 does not like MBR partition tables. That confuses me because I formatted them as GUID, but whatever. I'm new to this. I've been doing VM's up to this point, but I finally took the plunge to get closer to the metal and get better performance.

THANKS!!

For boot and install windows set uefi only boot and disable CSM in boot setup of Lenovo UEFI/BIOS.

For external display you need to use an adapter display port to VGA, because VGA port was disable by apple in 10.8.2 osx framebuffer.

• Like 1

@njdowdy

1) the VGA port on the T420 will work if you the config.plist i posted as it patches the frame buffers to use VGA instead of DVI on a dock station. the port is not auto sensing. so boot with VGA plugged in. i bought  a display port to VGA adaptor which is a bit more dynamic.

2) for windows UEFI installation: using Disk Utility to make a windows partition will convert the PMBR to MBR on GUID which confuses the windows UEFI installer. to make a partition for windows, i use gpt from the command line to add a windows partition. 

• Like 1