Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,274 posts in this topic

Updated clover config.plist to get NVS4200 to work. However, it stays as a black screen. There seems to be some sort of conflict still. Is nvidia injection enabled by default? I think it should be off. Any way to turn off Nvidia graphics injection from clover boot menu by default?

Also, iMessage and Facetime don't work for me. Here is the code when I try to reload the Intel E1000e kext. Weird thing. Kext is present in /S/L/E

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Further system info explaining the error;

Aug 24 14:34:08 daniels-mbp sudo[481]: m1kr0t3k : TTY=ttys001 ; PWD=/Volumes/Files ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext
Aug 24 14:34:08 daniels-mbp com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext.
Aug 24 14:34:08 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Aug 24 14:34:08 daniels-mbp com.apple.kextd[12]: Error: Kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext - not found/unable to create.

@adrenalation - 

perhaps the inability to load the kext is a permission problem? how did you install the kext?

i would reinstall the kext with kextutility or fix perms and do this following so it will rebuild the caches.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

@manwe150 

i will try the DMAR table drop to see what that does for us. i don't really know how measure the effect of VT-d as fusion and/or virtual box runs for me. i have a windows VM that runs from a physical VMDK (i.e. the vmdk reads/writes the partition. another one is sitting on an SSD (and start up is very fast!). 

• Like 1

@tluck - you can see that by running another VM inside the first one. Fusion for example allows for ESXi to host several VMs simultaneously. Or you run a Linux VM in VMware Workstation on a Windows VM in VMware Fusion.

@manwe150 - sure enough!  dropped DMAR table via clover, enabled VT-d in bios ... and what do you know?! OS X boots up fine.  

but it is not clear whether VMware Fusion even implements VT-d - which i think it does not. however, it already supports and can use VT-x/EPT (for VMs in VMs) and so on.  seems some newer thunderbolt macs seem to support VT-d on IvyBridge but i have not done a ton research on this so... 

anyway it doesn't seem to hurt anything - that is, dropping the DMAR table!? so i suppose it will be part of the new bundle going forward unless someone has a good reason to leave it there.

@viraf - you need to provide a bit more information. 

how did you create the USB - is it GPT/GUID?

are you able to select the USB and see the clover menu?

did you select the installation? 

where does it stop exactly?

is VT-d on or off in Security settings in the BIOS?

@tluck

created the USB as per the instructions in the main post. Created USB with GUID. 

No i am not able to see clover menu

Yes. VT-d is off in security settings.

It keeps coming back to the BIOS boot Manager showing boot menu.

Thanks for your reply

If it keeps going back to the boot selection menu aka the f12 menu, then it's not finding bootx64.efi Your partitions on the USB could be wrong or your clover installation could be wrong/missing.

Try following the guide again, carefully. If it still fails, post your partition info and verify that /efi/clover exists and has files.

About vmware and real partition:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Power                   419.5 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             785.2 MB   disk0s3

4:       Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS                 79.7 GB    disk0s4

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 4 /Users/Shared/Machines\ virtuelles/ ide

this cmd doesn't work why???

update : success added by add a new boot camp :)

the wm added doesn't boot (must boot from a usb win installer)

One solved :)

--

i lost FaceTime and message on my main disk (OK an a 2nd HD) :(

so i'm trying to find it back without changing too much things (Serial...) cos it works my 2nd HD

finally i decided to forget dual boot for the moment cos i have to reformat my main disk, install win 8.1 again, install 10.9 again then restore my information (disk0s2) on the disk

never forget that when you failed and tray again, you're learning :)

@tetonne. 

running windows in a VM while using OS X is way better IMO!!! 

i had problems with IDE in VMware Fusion, so i use SCSI disks. 

in your case disk0 and partition 4

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 4 "Disk1" lsisas

then my disks are defined like this in the vmx file

tluck@Toms-Mac /Local/W7x64-vmdk.vmwarevm

$ grep scsi Windows\ 7\ x64.vmx

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "160"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.sasWWID = "50 05 05 64 59 da c3 60"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Disk1.vmdk"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

scsi0:1.fileName = "Disk2.vmdk"

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:1.redo = ""

scsi0:2.fileName = "Disk3.vmdk"

scsi0:2.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:2.redo = ""

• Like 1

If it keeps going back to the boot selection menu aka the f12 menu, then it's not finding bootx64.efi Your partitions on the USB could be wrong or your clover installation could be wrong/missing.

Try following the guide again, carefully. If it still fails, post your partition info and verify that /efi/clover exists and has files.

@tluck @Sheep_reaper

here is my diskutil list result for my usb

/dev/disk1

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *32.7 GB    disk1

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X Mavericks  8.0 GB     disk1s2

3:                  Apple_HFS Untitled 2              24.2 GB    disk1s3

Also i have confirmed that i have EFI partition on my USB with following folders 

-BOOT

- BOOTX64.efi

-CLOVER

- ACPI

- ACPI.1600x900
- CLOVERX64.efi
- config.1600x900.plist
- config.nodsdt.plist
- config.plist
- drivers64UEFI
- kexts
- misc
- themes
- tools

Please help.

@glasgreat - so the mini pic-e board does pin out translation, since apple implemented another layout on its card. The card itself does both WiFi ac and Bluetooth 4LE. That's coming down to the Broadcom chip used. I place an order to get that card combo. Yes, it is expensive, but still cheaper than to fizzle around for ages (given I do earn around 68€/h).

@tluck @Sheep_reaper

here is my diskutil list result for my usb

/dev/disk1

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *32.7 GB    disk1

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X Mavericks  8.0 GB     disk1s2

3:                  Apple_HFS Untitled 2              24.2 GB    disk1s3

Also i have confirmed that i have EFI partition on my USB with following folders 

-BOOT

- BOOTX64.efi

-CLOVER

- ACPI

- ACPI.1600x900
- CLOVERX64.efi
- config.1600x900.plist
- config.nodsdt.plist
- config.plist
- drivers64UEFI
- kexts
- misc
- themes
- tools

Please help.

Is it because the USB was formatted HFS+ ? Does the USB need to be FAT32 formatted?

@viraf - your USB looks ok. since you have zip bundle on the USB, it has a HFS driver. 

check your bios 

(1) is it running 1.46 or 1.36 - upgrade if not 1.46

(2) check to make sure UEFI is enabled on the Startup menu. 

Set

UEFI - both (UEFI/Legacy) - or for this test just set to UEFI

UEFI First

@viraf - your USB looks ok. since you have zip bundle on the USB, it has a HFS driver. 

check your bios 

(1) is it running 1.46 or 1.36 - upgrade if not 1.46

(2) check to make sure UEFI is enabled on the Startup menu. 

Set

UEFI - both (UEFI/Legacy) - or for this test just set to UEFI

UEFI First

I have BIOS 1.36 :(

I have BIOS 1.36 :(

@tluck

With UEFI First set.

It boots into Intel boot agent and then shows 

MAC Address

DHCP/

Did not receive the boot file.

and jumps back to F12 Boot menu.

I do not wish to upgrade my bios is there a way it can be made to work with BIOS v1.36 ?

@viraf - 

i would update to bios 1.46. your old one probably can't recognize a 32GB usb! - if you have an older 8GB usb it may work with that old bios

bootable CD

from windows:

what about the UEFI settings - where they ok?

I will give it a try with 8GB USB disk however i had created a 8GB partitiiion in my 32GB USB disk for making the bootable

@glasgreat -

you would probably only have to change DualLink=0 to DualLink=1

the difference between 1366x768 config.plist the 1600x900 config.plist are 2 items:

1) DualLink value

2) EDID only for 1600x900 screen (  alternate EDID is needed replace bogus/broken EDID from bios/panel with a good one for this panel size )

@viraf - it maybe the old bios only supports 2GB usb or less? i am sure you have a good reason not to upgrade your bios, because i can't think of one.

• Like 1

@glasgreat -

you would probably only have to change DualLink=0 to DualLink=1

the difference between 1366x768 config.plist the 1600x900 config.plist are 2 items:

1) DualLink value

2) EDID only for 1600x900 screen (  alternate EDID is needed replace bogus/broken EDID from bios/panel with a good one for this panel size )

@viraf - it maybe the old bios only supports 2GB usb or less? i am sure you have a good reason not to upgrade your bios, because i can't think of one.

@tluck :) I have updated the BIOS using the bootable BIOS cd from lenovo site. but it still fails to go past the f12 boot menu.

:(

@viraf - well, i would test a smaller USB (like 8GB). format it GUID and copy the zip to the EFI partition. then see it can see it boot clover, then put the mac install on it.

@tluck Thanks a lot. Was able to successfully install with the 8GB USB.

Just a small quick question. Can we safely upgrades provided by Software Update for system software ?

@veer

- glad the install worked. good to know.  i have 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 GB usbs. so I have not tried a 32!

- yes.  i have been successful going from say 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 or 10.10 Yosemite DP to DP5 to DP6.

but it doesn't hurt to have a standby USB with the full install!

after you do such an update - don't forget you will have to replace the AppleHDA and Broadcom kexts (or more!)

@veer

yes - replace intel wifi with OS X supported wifi card and then flash the box with a modified whitelist bios so it will not reject the card. these cards are often sold rebranded by HP, Dell etc on eBay. 

here are 3 options (i chose the 1st one)

Atheros AR5BHB92
- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.
Broadcom BCM94322HM8L
- dual-band: 2.4GHz + 5GHz. МасOS up to 150 Mbps on 2.4GHz and up to 300 Mbps on 5GHz, Windows up to 300 Mbps on both bands.

Atheros AR5B93

- single-band: 2.4GHz only. МасOS up to 150 Mbps, Windows up to 300 Mbps.

@adrenalation

this worked for me:

added a credit card to my appleID account.

remove all network location/interface definitions from the |System Network panel

rm        /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

reboot and redo network interface definitions for ethernet and then wifi

(i know i know - some have found the order doesn't matter - but this is just what seems to work for me!)

if you are on Yosemite, it was very finicky and for me it took a lot of entering and reentering of ids and passwords.

seems like its looping but eventually it worked. 

• Like 1