Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@rajesheber

Thank you for your advice. Erratic Trackpad behavior happened always, regardless the fact that I start T420 or reboot. I never turn it off and reboot only when it is needed.

I tried to follow your advice. Here what I did:

1 - Removed /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches folder and emptied trash.

2 - Turned off the computer.

3 - Started it and in "Clover boot menu - Options" added parameter UseKernelCache=No, then choose my HD and pressed enter

It booted successfully. I paired the trackpad and it was working like a charm for 10 minutes or something. The cursor was very precise like never before and all gestures worked. After 10 minutes it dropped the connection and started working like before. 

Any ideas? Maybe I followed your advice in a wrong way? I never cleared kernel cache before and I was wondering if I'm doing it right. Also I'm not sure that I following this step in the proper way - "clover configuration made No Kernel Cache to be loaded".

@rolitab,

1 - Removed /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches folder and emptied trash.

2 - Turned off the computer.

3- Boot into the Mac desktop now.

4. Change the setting on the clover config to disable clover kernel cache

5. Reboot back. All should wrk well.

BTW are u using the inbuilt BT module or external usb adaptor ?

@tluck - just to let you know: kept trying... Then in Windows & Linux 2nd Monitor disappeared too! Thought damn it, must be the Moni-Switch and tada Win&Lin had it back but not MacOS!!! Arghh... Removed the patch from config.plist once more, now it's working again...

Only issue's left are USB3 and SD-Card, but I'm prepared to forget about SD...

Any hints on USB3?

All -

i just reposted the bundle - somehow the Other kexts were missing in the one from yesterday. sorry.

after you install AppleHDA_20672.kext in /S/L/E Check the file 

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

test -L /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA && echo This is a sym-link

if you see "This is a sym-link" output then you are ok. Meaning, this file needs to be an actual symbolic link - not a text file with the filename in it.

not sure what zip/unzip does this - mungs up the symlink

do this is if not right:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo rm AppleHDA
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA .
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /

The benefit was is really cool: able to upgrade from 10.10.0 to 10.10.1 with absolutely no kext changes. No need to post-install Audio and BT kexts - they just worked as before but using newly updated Apple kext binary. This is what my 2 kexts look like:

$ ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA*/Contents/MacOS

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS:

total 2160

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1105280 Oct 28 00:46 AppleHDA

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/MacOS:

total 8

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  64 Nov 14 14:59 AppleHDA -> /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

the point of the AppleHDA_20672.kext is to install it along side the standard Apple AppleHDA.kext. So then if AppleHDA.kext gets updated by an install or update or reinstall then it does not clobbered. the AppleHDA_20672.kext has a root-owned symbolic link - does your /S/L/E look like above for AppleHDA?

All that said, IF you prefer to not use this method - then you can create a custom AppleHDA.kext by using the scripts I include in the latest zip in Utilities/HDA - i.e. it will  make a custom (directly patch) AppleHDA.kext and then you don't use the AppleHDA_20672.kext.

@mircsicz

to create the ROM/MLB you need to use a proper plist editor that can encrypt the MLB value. iMessage_debug spits put something like this:

2014-11-18 09:15:27.960 imessage_debug[2206:481501] 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM: <7e2c384bd 2fea>

2014-11-18 09:15:27.960 imessage_debug[2206:481501] 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB: C02012345ABCDEFAC

copy MLB as is (text) into field - the type is string - so remains readable.

copy ROM value between < > - since the type is data  the plist editor will convert the characters into an encoded string.

but since you got it working - then DONT change anything! or it may break again!!! 

SD - never! i recommend a usb version.

USB3 - not sure the chip set on the T420s orT420i (T420 does not have native USB3 - so i use an express card)

- so either try GenericUSBXHCI.kext (works for my ASMedia 1042 express card)

or you can try modding the AppleUSBXHCI.kext - the works for my Gigabyte system. add this to the Info.plist

$ cat patch-usb.txt 

54a55,56

<key>AllowAnyXHCI</key>

<true/>

• Like 1

@tluck

Regarding to lspci its:

0d:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

And I already have RehabMan's Version of "GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.8d7)" installed, probably from earlier test's... Here's a quite active thread about it, & here's his Repo

As you suggested I've added

<key>AllowAnyXHCI</key>
<true/>

to Clover's config.plist, but that didn't change the behaviour: http://ctrlv.in/462976

Do I need to copy the kext to "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other"?

@mircsicz - yup. i use RehabMan's GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.8d9) not sure if that will work or not for your USB3 ports built-in?

the AllowAnyXHCI stuff would go into AppleUSBXHCI.kext Info.plist (in IOUSBFamily.kext ... PlugIns) 

either might work? no idea tho.

Does anybody experienced wifi speed drop visible in network utility after update to 10.10.1? In my case I realised the speed shown was 11 mbit/s instead of 144 mbit/s. I had to use older IO80211family kext to see again 144.

Any suggestion on what can be the cause of it is very welcome.

@tluck and anyone else with a T420s

I found the solution by upgrading the controller's Firmware to latest version... Followed this Posting, worked even with my Win8.1 install!

Right after Boot I could see my USB3 Stick.

EDIT: To solve the SD-Reader Prob I just ordered a "Sonnet ExpressCard/34 21-in-1" as the original SD-Reader was a ExpressCard too it's no big change... I'll report when I got it

Hi after updating all the kext to the recent provided I see information about internal speaker and microphone in Russian.

How can I changed that?

Hi after updating all the kext to the recent provided I see information about internal speaker and microphone in Russian.

How can I changed that?

OK: solved now - I have copied incomplete AppleHDA.kext with only ru.lproj in Resources. I have copied all other lproj files into the Resources and now all is nicely presented in English.

post-690819-0-08195800-1416392969_thumb.png

Edited by jus12

I still cannot use the latest IO80211Family (privided with 10.10.1) kext as it gives me only 11 mbit/s. Version from 10.10 gives me 144 mbit/s.

I'm not sure what is the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Update:

what makes the speed difference in my case is AirPortBrcm4360 in MacOS folder in AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/

When I replace that file with the one from Yosemite 10.10 speed is back at 144 mbit/s.

What did they change in this file?

Edited by jus12

OK so out of curiosity, after installing clover and replacing files from tluck's pack, the computer serial number defaults to W89F9196DH2G - - where is this value located? I can't find it in config.plist. Any ideas? And don't ask me what i'm trying to do. I'm just looking for this value to understand how things work.

Hi all,

I have been running my W520 on Mavericks with Clover UEFI for some time now, thanks to all the help I got here :-D

The only thing is, the CPU is not scaling and ALWAYS running very hot. 83C Hot, all the time. When I was under Mountain Lino with the SSDT I extracted from the RevoGirl script, I never had temp issues and the CPU scaled perfectly. Now, it seems it's always in Turbo mode. I've been using it anyways, because I had some projects to get done, but I'm worried of damaging it.

Anyways, what is the procedure with SSDT? I have the same SSDT.aml that I had under Mountain Lion under EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched is the file name case sensitive?

Here is my clover config setup:

Clover_config.png

Also, I have been using a iMac SMBIOS, because the MBP8,2 SMBIOS won't boot. Could that be part of it? 

As always, many THANKS for the help!

Cheers!

@mircsicz

@Adrenalation Search this thread for ROM...

I have just searched for "ROM" but it only outputs vague information on putting this information into RtVarialbles and smUUID. I have already read up on this topic as I have previously tried fixing iMessage and been successful. So this is not the information i was looking for. More specifically, my question was simply to find out where the serial number was derived from, as it is not found in config.plist.

Clover generates this number for us. same number for all MBP8,1.

"W88439FE1G0",  // MBP51

"W89F9196DH2G", // MBP81 - i5 SB IntelHD3000

"W88F9CDEDF93", // MBP83 - i7 SB  ATI

"C02HA041DTY3", // MBP92 - i5 IvyBridge HD4000

"C02K2IQNDKQ1", // MBP101

"C02LSLIPFH00", // MBP111

Clover generates this number for us. same number for all MBP8,1.

"W88439FE1G0",  // MBP51

"W89F9196DH2G", // MBP81 - i5 SB IntelHD3000

"W88F9CDEDF93", // MBP83 - i7 SB  ATI

"C02HA041DTY3", // MBP92 - i5 IvyBridge HD4000

"C02K2IQNDKQ1", // MBP101

"C02LSLIPFH00", // MBP111

Yes. Where did you get that table of S/N's?

Here is a small heads-up on the latest beta (10.10.2 14C68k) which broke sound. But it turns out there is only a new dependency on AppleEFINVRAM, which would prevent the old AppleHDA_20672.kext from loading. Anyway here is the patch for Info.plist, which should give you back sound. Of course you need to rebuild the kextcache and reboot, after this change.

diff --git a/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Info.plist b/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Info.plist
--- a/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Info.plist
+++ b/AppleHDA_20672.kext/Contents/Info.plist
@@ -3,13 +3,13 @@
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
 	<key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
-	<string>14A373</string>
+	<string>14C59</string>
 	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
 	<string>English</string>
 	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
 	<string>AppleHDA</string>
 	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
-	<string>AppleHDA 266.5, Copyright © 2000-2014 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
+	<string>AppleHDA 269.13, Copyright © 2000-2014 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
 	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
 	<string>com.apple.driver.AppleHDA</string>
 	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
@@ -27,17 +27,17 @@
 	<key>DTCompiler</key>
 	<string>com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0</string>
 	<key>DTPlatformBuild</key>
-	<string>6A280m</string>
+	<string>6D68e</string>
 	<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
 	<string>GM</string>
 	<key>DTSDKBuild</key>
-	<string>14A373</string>
+	<string>14C55</string>
 	<key>DTSDKName</key>
 	<string>macosx10.10internal</string>
 	<key>DTXcode</key>
-	<string>0600</string>
+	<string>0650</string>
 	<key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
-	<string>6A280m</string>
+	<string>6D68e</string>
 	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
 	<dict>
 		<key>HDA Driver</key>
@@ -131,31 +131,33 @@
 		</dict>
 	</dict>
 	<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>
-	<string>AppleHDA 266.5, Copyright © 2000-2014 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
+	<string>AppleHDA 269.13, Copyright © 2000-2014 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
 	<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
 	<dict>
+		<key>com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM</key>
+		<string>2.0.0</string>
 		<key>com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController</key>
 		<string>1.7.2a1</string>
 		<key>com.apple.driver.DspFuncLib</key>
 		<string>1.5.2a1</string>
 		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily</key>
-		<string>1.8.6fc11</string>
+		<string>200.5</string>
 		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>
 		<string>2.0</string>
 		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily</key>
-		<string>1.0.0d1</string>
+		<string>265.88</string>
 		<key>com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport</key>
 		<string>2.0</string>
 		<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
-		<string>8.0.0b3</string>
+		<string>8.0.0</string>
 		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
 		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
 		<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
 		<key>com.apple.kpi.private</key>
 	</dict>
 </dict>
 </plist>

• Like 1

Based on the previous post - thanks Shikumo - i have posted a yet another bundle which revised AppleHDA_20672.kext (works on Mavericks and Yosemite - including 10.10.2 (seeds)

21-November-2014 Update

• Clover r3028 - or download r3021.
  • Consolidated kexts into Other folder vs 10.10, 10.9 since they are all the same.
  • ThinkPad Theme - minor tweaks to add Yosemite 2014.  This theme revised and committed to Clover source tree.
  • Updated select kexts - AppleHDA_20672.kext fixed for 10.10.2 dependency (works for 10.9. and 10.10)

All - updated the bundle once again. Minor change but is about a regression to remove the drop MCFG table by default. Optimus users ... if want to drop that table for whatever reason, do so at your own discretion!

24-November-2014 Update

• Clover r3029 - or download r3021.
  • Consolidated kexts into Other folder vs 10.10, 10.9 since they are all the same.
  • ThinkPad Theme - minor tweaks to add Yosemite 2014.  This theme revised and committed to Clover source tree.
  • Updated select kexts - AppleHDA_20672.kext fixed for 10.10.2 dependency (works for 10.9. and 10.10)
  • Removed drop MCFG table from config.plist files.

Reason is I get this error when I drop MCFG table... which doesn't look good to me. so I prefer to leave the table and not get the error!

Nov 24 12:23:11 Toms-Mac kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

• Like 2

While I'm still waiting for wifi and gobi3000 cards from ebay to arrive I'd like to post some details about my efforts to make my T420 100% comfortable Hackintosh laptop. 

Also I've noticed some strange behavior in graphics, for example background of Apple Developers Login Page is flickering very intensively! I tried to visit same website from my Lenovo C200 All-In-One with Windows 7 and background is just fine, solid color. Also I see same flickering on the Youtube deleted video page. It is very irritative and it seems to me that I'm missing something obvious about that. I hope its software problem, not hardware, and I also hope that there should be some easy fix. Btw refresh rate is set to 60Hz. It is happening in Google Chrome browser, in Safari everything runs smooth, but I got used to Chrome and not ready to switch.

Here's my initial post about issue I have and I still cannot get rid of it. On the other hand, I've noticed that my eyes are getting tired very fast from working with this computer. I realized that the whole display is blinking. But it not always so obvious like in Chrome with two links above. I made some research and found that there is a thing called LCD Strobe Effect, the issue I'm having is very similar to this description. But it works great in Windows, so I'm sure it is software issue, not hardware. I use configs from the latest @tluck package, the only thing I've changed is CustomEDID of my display. I hoped that changing CustomEDID to mine will do some changes, but it didn't. I tried to boot without CustomEDID, also no difference.

I tried to find some information regarding my issue it this topic, but I didn't. I'm also not sure how its called, that's why I captured the video. The effect is less noticable with 1366x768 resolution and more noticable on 1600x900.

Any help is very appreciated!!!

I had a very stable T420S  running Maverick 10.9.5  (using your excellent guide) -- no issues with sleep.  After upgrading to Yosemite using your latest uploaded files, I cannot boot from the hard drive.   When I boot from hard drive,  the screen fades to black after the Apple icon shows up (the computer is not sleeping since I hear the fan running)..   I can  boot using the external  Clover USB (your optional method at the bottom of guide).  However, when I boot using the external USB, thinkpad does not sleep when the lid is closed. Any suggestions?  

@xchlee - - a few questions:

1) are you using your own DSDT? the DSDT i package is for the T420 not a T420S? there is a config.nodsdt.plist that you can try out to see if that gets you booted.

2) is your disk MBR or GPT/GUID? can you boot using verbose to see where it stops (instead of seeing apple icon?). i

f you have the exact same EFI folder on the HD as USB - it is hard to understand why one boots and the other does not.

@rolitab - the video is too low resolution to really see what you are describing. hmm. did you try setting your LCD to 50 HZ instead of 60?

- the ripple effect to check quartz/ce - change System Preferences/Mission Control - to set Dashboard as Overlay. then add a widget in the dashboard. will ripple on addition - does not do this when "as space".

• Like 1