Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@camazza - welcome to the club! what method did you use for FaceTime/iMessage?

Generated Serial, checked if it matches an actual Mac on Apple's Website.

Generated uuid and pasted the last segment under Rt Variables->ROM. Reboot to apply values and then I used mlbgen script to generate the MLB. I pasted that under MLB and rebooted again. Everything worked perfectly. 

Hey folks,

longtime user of this fantastic pack on my t420. Now I want to switch to x220.

Can I basically just swap the harddrive(s)?

I'm looking for the i7 version with usb 3.

What else to consider?

Thanks!

I did that switch, to an X220 Core I7. As tluck suggested me, I used the installation of my T420. Just changed the config.plist in EFI folder. Booted at first try and works like a charm.

Hey Guys,

I am new to the osx86-world. Firstly I wanted to say thank you for this great installation guide for the T420.
Everything worked great and I got El Captain running with a TP-Link USB-Wifidongle. (Mini adapter)
My T420 has the 1366x768 Display with the Intel HD3000. I was trying to use the VGA-Port to use it with a external Display.
It doesn't recognize the external display until I put it into sleepmode and wake it up again.
After it is woken up again the display works. But if I disconnect the display again it also doesn't recognize it is disconnected.

Now my question is, is it possible to use the thinkpad in a "headless"-mode - external Display, keyboard, mouse and the keep the notebook closed?

I wanted to use the T420 as a mac mini replacement, as I have a MBP as notebook.
I would be greatful for any help - or does it simply not work?

_denva

Hey Guys,

I am new to the osx86-world. Firstly I wanted to say thank you for this great installation guide for the T420.

Everything worked great and I got El Captain running with a TP-Link USB-Wifidongle. (Mini adapter)

My T420 has the 1366x768 Display with the Intel HD3000. I was trying to use the VGA-Port to use it with a external Display.

It doesn't recognize the external display until I put it into sleepmode and wake it up again.

After it is woken up again the display works. But if I disconnect the display again it also doesn't recognize it is disconnected.

Now my question is, is it possible to use the thinkpad in a "headless"-mode - external Display, keyboard, mouse and the keep the notebook closed?

I wanted to use the T420 as a mac mini replacement, as I have a MBP as notebook.

I would be greatful for any help - or does it simply not work?

_denva

Yes it is. I´m using mine connected to a Led Display 27". Magic Trackpad and bluetooth keyboard.

• Like 1

@denva - glad to have another member to our forum! The issue is that current versions of OSX don't support VGA very well. So attaching a VGA monitor (analog) is passive vs digital (active). The best solution for you is get a DP cable to attach your monitor on a digital port. when DP is connected to the system will not sleep when you close the lid.

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

@denva - glad to have another member to our forum! The issue is that OSX doesn't really support VGA. attaching a VGA monitor (analog) is passive vs digital (active). The best solution for you is get a DP cable to attach your monitor on a digital port. when DP is connected to the system will not sleep when you close the lid.

That´s not really true. Osx earlier versions supported VGA out.

Hey guys, thanks for the fast reply. I ordered a DP to VGA converter - lets see if it works.

I have to bother you with two otherer questions. :lol:

Through the installation I created another partition - as it is mentioned in the install guide -  to install windows to use dual boot.
Clover works fine and OSX boots. - Is it possible to install windows now afterwards to osx?

And my bluetooth doesn't seem to work. In the device manager it says there is no BT-hardware. Do you have a command for me to reinstall the kext-file? The BT-LED in the display is also off.
I already tried to rerun the "_kext-install.command"

and this from the guide:

cd /Library/Extensions/BroadcomBluetooth_T420.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo rm BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/MacOS/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Didn't change anyting... :(

Thanks in advance.

_denva

bluetooth

must be turned on by:

1) enabled in BIOS

2) windows (leave on)

3) then when you boot up OSX you will see the green light. and the OS will be happy.

so to install windows. ..

the cleanest method is to delete the 2nd OSX partition and replace with a window partition using gpt.

the windows installer can do this (sort of) - last time i used the windows installer, it created a 2nd EFI a bunch of other partitions.

here is script that will remove the last partition and replace with windows type of partition (unformatted) - so when you go into windows installer you can format this partition and install windows to it.

#!/bin/bash
# add 2nd windows partition - to keep PMBR
if [[ $1 == "" ]]; then
echo usage: $0 disk
exit
fi
# list partitions
mkfifo /tmp/mypipe
sudo gpt -r show $1 |grep "GPT part" >> /tmp/mypipe &
n=0
while read b s i gpt part dash t
do
n=$(( n+1 ))
#echo loop $n $b $s $i $gpt $part $dash $t
index=$i
start=$b
size=$s
done < /tmp/mypipe
rm /tmp/mypipe
echo last $n $start $size $index
# remove old partition
diskutil unmountDisk $1
sleep 3
sudo gpt remove -i $index $1
sleep 3
# make partition
diskutil unmountDisk $1
sleep 5
sudo gpt add -b $start -s $size -t EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 $1
sleep 3
diskutil unmountDisk $1
sudo gpt label -i $index -l "Windows" $1
sleep 3
diskutil unmountDisk $1
sudo gpt -r show $1
exit
  • Like 1

Maybe you can help me….

I have been using my X220 connected to a Led Cinema Display via DP.  Everything has been working like a charm. But some hours ago, it´s impossible to use this configuration.

Always a hard reboot before the user login screen appears.

If I boot in Safe Mode, both screens, or just the 27" screen if I close the lid, appears.

Booting from X220 without external screen connected is as always, no problem.

Strange… booting from my backup, made when everything was perfect it comes to the same result.

I know its X220, not T420, but both are the same system.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Does DisplayPort work for you guys? I seem to be unable to use it in Integrated Graphics mode at all. Even tried Linux live USBs, doesn't show up in xrandr unless I use Optimus.

EDIT: T420 with NVS4200m can only use the DisplayPort with the Nvidia chip running.

In that case, before I drop some money to replace the motherboard with one without the Nvidia chip, has there been any progress to get that working?

Well, i think i got the problem, just when i was installing Windows. 

The machine is a X220 core I7, with USB 3.0. USB 3.0 never worked 100% ok with Os X. The bluetooth module is attached to this BUS.

It´s a pity...

I replaced the motherboard, got 4K now! 

However, OS X for some reason wouldn't detect that it's 4K, limiting me to 1440p tops. I made a custom resolution with SwitchResX, and it works, but I don't get the scaling options, which is really lame.

• Like 1

Question about slip and hibernation.

i was using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299721-sleep-hibernation-how-it-works-and-how-to-use/

with sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 29

but i saw last week that sleep and hibernation didn't work anymore :(
i checked pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
was set to 29

and saw (in the how to) that :
In some cases, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi or OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi can be a problem, so remove this driver.
i'm using OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi as advice by tluck

any advice to use tluck pack with works great with hibernation?
i set back 
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
but now  
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 29
Usage: pmset <options>

See pmset(1) for details: 'man pmset'

sudo pmset -g

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay         4200

standby              0

womp                 1

halfdim              1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

networkoversleep     0

disksleep            10

sleep                30 (sleep prevented by apsd, apsd, apsd, apsd, apsd, apsd, coreaudiod)

hibernatemode        0

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         10

lidwake              1

explications may be there

thanks for any help
have a nice day

@tetonne - the guide says this:

Hibernation - Use OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi UEFI driver for restart from hibernation.

Suggested settings if you don't want or use hibernation:
rm /var/vm/sleepimage

if you want hibernation, then set hibernate mode to 7 (mode 7 is like mode 3 but without encryption)
     sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 7

Note: Booting up from the hibernated image may have jumbled or blank LCD until you do a sleep/wake cycle to reset the LCD.

@ehhik - just curious - what about the new motherboard give you 4K display resolution? better processor?

what display type (native resolution) do you have? but  i presume this 4K is to external monitor (or TV).

anyway, you may need to create a custom display override to define the scaling resolutions.  I use a tool called DisplayMenu and it does a decent job of offering a wide of set resolution options.

@tluck 

thanks for your time and your help

unfortunatly not solved

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 7 or 29 always give me 

Usage: pmset <options>

See pmset(1) for details: 'man pmset'

is working

i test SmartSleep.app (S&H) now i'm with :

sudo pmset -g

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay         4200

standby              0

womp                 1

halfdim              1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

networkoversleep     0

disksleep            10

sleep                15

hibernatemode        3

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         10

lidwake              1

can't force it with terminal.app via sudo pmset -a hibernatemode x

@tetonne - well it looks like the pmset tool is checking for invalid values now - and will only accept 0,3,25...

but if you edit the plist file you can probably change it directly.

in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

here is what i use for my son's T420...

$ plist-print.bash com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
Dict {
    Custom Profile = Dict {
        AC Power = Dict {
            Hibernate Mode = 7
            Wake On Clamshell Open = 1
            System Sleep Timer = 60
            Disk Sleep Timer = 10
            TTYSPreventSleep = 1
            Hibernate File = /var/vm/sleepimage