Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

i found this thread after trying to troubleshoot my trackpoint behaviour with OS X on my X220.   

I'm a mackintosh newb (only a few days in so far) and I was hoping someone could provide some insight/advice.  I follow a guide that uses the voodooPS2controller.kext that was modified here (x220.mcdonnelltech.com).  

Do you T420 guys have this issue with your trackjpoints?

1) With the trackpad disabled (via PrtSc button) and with a finger/palm on the trackpad, the trackpoint buttons do NOT register unless you drag the cursor

Like many, I'm a trackpoint only user and having the buttons not register is very very infuriating.  Almost to the point I want to go back to Windows 10.  I was hoping someone here could shed light whether there is something can be done in the info.plist.  I've checked with rehabman and he's limited in what he can do because he doesn't have any thinkpad hardware.

the trackpoint buttons work normally with the trackpad enabled BUT I'm constantly causing the cursor to move when I click the buttons with my thumb causing even more issues.  

I've also tried disabling the trackpad via the bios, but it causes the trackpoint to register as a mouse (vs. trackpad) and the middle trackpoint button doesn't work after that so scrolling is disable.  

So it seems like there's no 1 configuration that gets it all right.   

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Okay I made a super ghetto workaround...   I noticed a comment about how FingerZ parameter was modified from the stock VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext for the T420.  So I experimented by increasing the value to see what it does and noticed that it made it harder to register touch input.  So I cranked it up to 650 (I went from 47 to 65 to 650 if you're wondering how I arrived at that number) which essentially makes it impossible to move the cursor with the trackpad.    What this means is that the trackpoint buttons now register all the time with the trackpad disabled (since I still have to disable the buttons) and everything works including middle button scrolling.

Hope that helps someone

@mr_yellow - that's a good hack!

btw, i just compiled the latest voodoops2 kext from RehabMan (v1.8.24) and will push that out soon. Seems to get the trackPoint working better from a fresh boot. and apparently works better on the next rev of OSX.  So when the Sierra (10.12) public beta is available, i will test it out.

• Like 1

on occasion (often), i get a dead trackPoint on boot up. meaning the red knob doesn't  move the pointer or top buttons don't work. The trackpad and lower buttons do work. However,  a sleep/wake cycle will turn the trackPoint items on.

but now with the newer kext, the trackPoint is working on startup very consistently.  i will post a new bundle with this new kext.

18-Jun-2016 Update

• Updated to Clover r3566
  • Updated FakeSMC kexts (and included installer for HWMonitor.app)
  • Updated VoodooPS2Controller kext to latest rev
  • Like 1

@tluck - thank you for your tutorial.

I’ve installed 10.11.5 on my W520 (i7-2860QM, 6GB RAM, NVIDIA QUADRO 1000M)

Of course USB3 doesn’t work (Renesans chipset) but this laptop has 2xUSB2 port which works.

I have 1920x1080 display so I’ve adjusted my config.plist EDID section:

<key>CustomEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wAwrrJAAAAAAAETAQOAIhN46iE1rVA3qiQRUFQAAAABAQEBAQEB
AQEBAQEBAQEBTDaAgnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAYPy2AgnA4MjwwqgBYwRAAABgA
AAAPANEJMtEJKBsZAAavVjQAAAD+AEIxNTZIVzAxIFY0IAoA1g==
</data>

I've also installed my nvidia quadro 1000m with web drivers from nvidia from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-drivers-for-os-x-10-11-5-346-03-10.193172/

How to install:

1. Boot with integrated card (intel)

2. Install NVIDIA driver,

3. Change Profile to MacPro3,1 (or iMac13,1)

4. power off,

5. change in bios to Discrete card

6. boot Mac OS with nvidia

7. check if your external monitor (connected to DisplayPort) works.

Info:

NVIDIA installer adds nvda_drv=1 to boot options.

If you would like to run Mac with intel you have to:

1. Set integrated card in bios,

2. Remove nvda_drv=1 from boot options in clover,

3. Change profile name to MacBookPro8,1 in clover

4. Boot Mac OS,

What is not working:

Brightness level adjusting - it stops working when you boot with new profile and nvidia drivers (screen is dark around 50%) - but works again when you boot with intel.

DSUB (VGA) output - so you can have only dual head (one external monitor).

With MacPro3,1 profile you can set power settings on power/battery but you won't have OSD for brightness

With iMac13,1 you will have OSD for brightness (but you can't set brightness level) and you won't have settings for battery power source.

I've tried app for setting up brightness like: http://bergdesign.com/brightness/but it shows that brightness level is set to 0 and I can't change it. Also startup brightness fix http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/179-startup-brightness-fix/ doesn't work

I've found that when I put computer to sleep and then wake up brightness is at 100% level.

You can then use Shady app: http://instinctivecode.com/shady/ to lower the brightness level.

I'm not sure what else can I check to solve brightness problem (I'm newbie - it's my first hackintosh installation).

Tluck can you try the new method for ACPI patching ? Using a custom SSDT for everything seems like a new way to patch things without resolving to redo everything once a new bios is out, and will be specific to only that model

@vusun123 - well i am not familiar with this technique - can you share a link or details to provide more info?

history: most of the edits in the DSDT go back to almost 4 years ago - before clover etc - and not change much since Yosemite. The T420 model as you know is getting a bit "old", and any bios updates from Lenovo have not been very often in the last several years.  For example, I am using BIOS 1.46 from 2013 - since there is a modded version to defeat wifi whitelist. The latest BIOS 1.48 (2016) seems to be harder to mod - and folks are advised to stay on 1.46.

@peter7816 - cool about the W520...

are you leveraging the mods in the T420 DSDT? and kext set? the keys on brightness is 
1) the PNLF device in the DSDT - which is now very simple.

2) IntelBackLight.kext

not sure if the model would make a difference for you? generally the MBP8,1 model works well for this class of machine.

--- new zip bundle - minor minor changes from early june post:

diffs:

$ diff -rq T420 T420_3566
Files T420/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and T420_3566/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi differ
Files T420/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml and T420_3566/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml differ
Files T420/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.dsl and T420_3566/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.dsl differ
Files T420/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.edid.aml and T420_3566/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.edid.aml differ
Files T420/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.edid.dsl and T420_3566/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.edid.dsl differ
Files T420/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi and T420_3566/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi differ
Only in T420/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents: Info.alt.plist
Files T420/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist and T420_3566/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist differ

@vusun123 - well i am not familiar with this technique - can you share a link or details to provide more info?

Look up Rehabman's Probook or Envy github. He uses custom SSDTs and Clover patches to fix everything

Hi, everyone

I have questions about temperature of my T420s with i5 2520m. Temperature is above 50C and up to 70 C. It normal? .And my USB 3.0 dont work now. I use SSD . 

I path fan controller with tutorial http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-118?do=findComment&comment=2222311 but no luck :(

This is my ssdt .

Archive.zip

@minsk710

- your temps are reasonable. my box ranges from 120F (mid 40s C) to as high as 200F

- USB3 on T420s is an issue since it has the Renaissas chip. you could try using Rehabmans's GenericXHCI kext as some reported success on El Capitan.

• Like 1

@tluck

are you leveraging the mods in the T420 DSDT? and kext set? the keys on brightness is 
1) the PNLF device in the DSDT - which is now very simple.

2) IntelBackLight.kext

To be honest I don't understand what should I do:) (maybe it's because my English). I've used kext from your zip bundle. I haven't tried your newest zip yet.

not sure if the model would make a difference for you? generally the MBP8,1 model works well for this class of machine.

I've tried MBP8,1 but my pc won't boot with NVIDIA and MBP8,1 (without nvidia MBP8,1 works).

I'm not sure why it won't boot (maybe because intel backlight error?). I left my computer for 40min but it hangs. HDD led blinks form time to time but nothing happens (even log is not updated). My screenshot with -v option:

w520.jpg

@tluck

To be honest I don't understand what should I do:) (maybe it's because my English). I've used kext from your zip bundle. I haven't tried your newest zip yet.

I've tried MBP8,1 but my pc won't boot with NVIDIA and MBP8,1 (without nvidia MBP8,1 works).

I'm not sure why it won't boot (maybe because intel backlight error?). I left my computer for 40min but it hangs. HDD led blinks form time to time but nothing happens (even log is not updated). My screenshot with -v option:

w520.jpg

You have the one with Nvidia GPU ? Update your signature pls for easier spec access. If so then you have to use MacbookPro10,1 as your SMBios and InjectNvidia=True.

@peter7816 - i guess it make sense if you have nvidia.  i recall some saying that dropping MCFG table helps with nvidia. but since you have W520 I don't know what really is the best model. 

I have a plain T420 with just HD 3000 Integrated graphics and just USB2, so can not really advise on how to configure it for nvidia board (or USB3).

with integrated gfx, I do know that the new backlight kext (IntelBacklight.kext) does not require a lot PLNF hacks so as long as you have PNLF in your DSDT - it seems like you should be able to dim your LCD? there are some options XOPT ... but kext keys off the GFX card type... so if you have device match on these devices ids (below), the kext with be used. for me the HD3000 is 01268086. 

from the kext in Sandy Bridge section: <string>0x01168086 0x01268086 0x01668086 0x00428086 0x00468086</string>

@ vusun123 - BTW, I am trying to get a T460 (Skylake I5-6300U cpu) hacked. It is early days and I but I am not having much success right out of the gate. I am trying to use the hot patch mechanism you mentioned - but so far I cant get it booted on OSX - i can only get the OSX installer to run?!  do you have experience with SkyLake?

Ok, here I go with my shenanigans - picked up a T420s, pretty basic config - i5-2520M, HD3000, 4Gb DDR3, Toshiba 128Gb SSD. 

The machine didn't have any OS on-board, so to do some basic testing I tossed original Win 7 Professional on there from recovery media. That didn't go well - laptop idled at 98C so needed a clean up, desperately.  After de-dusting and re-pasting things got better, but it still easily reaches 80C with average load, while my Dell will barely climb to mid-70s. And an added bonus is that fan controller from EC tends to lock up the fan at 4K RPM, even though the temps be sitting at 44C.. Besides the fan (which I have ordered a Toshiba make replacement), so far there are only two things I dislike about this machine compared to my (also business class) Vostro - no keyboard backlight (but Thinklight is surprisingly good) and the fact that the speakers sound so darn tiny I fail to see how this can be classified as audio system at all. 

Moving on, having half a dozen WLAN cards around I quickly realized that none of them is compatible due to the infamous whitelist. A couple google searches and a 3 hours spent with BIOS 1.41 this morning and I have myself the latest BIOS with:

- MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL 0xE2 unlocked for native PM

- AES-NI instruction set lock removed 

- RAM Speed Lock at 1333 MHz removed 

- Whitelist for WWAN and WLAN cards removed

- Date/Time tab swapped with Advanced Setup tab

- Intel VBIOS updated from 2089 to 2170 with UEFI GOP support and native res (1600x900) in Clover and boot.efi

I'll post the BIOS, including details over at bios-mods with proper credits as there's still someone out there who is charging a substantial amount for each of these mods for this series of laptops. 

OK, that said and done, I have swapped my disk and knowing that Yosemite is less of a hassle to start with, I've settled on installing 10.10.5 first. That went nicely with the files from the pack, thanks @tluck. I'm certainly liking the high-res display and the ability to use a docking station, but there are some things I'd improve personally.

a244f9ab8c.jpg

• Like 3

Ok, here I go with my shenanigans - picked up a T420s, pretty basic config - i5-2520M, HD3000, 4Gb DDR3, Toshiba 128Gb SSD. 

The machine didn't have any OS on-board, so to do some basic testing I tossed original Win 7 Professional on there from recovery media. That didn't go well - laptop idled at 98C so needed a clean up, desperately.  After de-dusting and re-pasting things got better, but it still easily reaches 80C with average load, while my Dell will barely climb to mid-70s. And an added bonus is that fan controller from EC tends to lock up the fan at 4K RPM, even though the temps be sitting at 44C.. Besides the fan (which I have ordered a Toshiba make replacement), so far there are only two things I dislike about this machine compared to my (also business class) Vostro - no keyboard backlight (but Thinklight is surprisingly good) and the fact that the speakers sound so darn tiny I fail to see how this can be classified as audio system at all. 

Moving on, having half a dozen WLAN cards around I quickly realized that none of them is compatible due to the infamous whitelist. A couple google searches and a 3 hours spent with BIOS 1.41 this morning and I have myself the latest BIOS with:

- MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL 0xE2 unlocked for native PM

- AES-NI instruction set lock removed 

- RAM Speed Lock at 1333 MHz removed 

- Whitelist for WWAN and WLAN cards removed

- Date/Time tab swapped with Advanced Setup tab

- Intel VBIOS updated from 2089 to 2170 with UEFI GOP support and native res (1600x900) in Clover and boot.efi

I'll post the BIOS, including details over at bios-mods with proper credits as there's still someone out there who is charging a substantial amount for each of these mods for this series of laptops. 

OK, that said and done, I have swapped my disk and knowing that Yosemite is less of a hassle to start with, I've settled on installing 10.10.5 first. That went nicely with the files from the pack, thanks @tluck. I'm certainly liking the high-res display and the ability to use a docking station, but there are some things I'd improve personally.

a244f9ab8c.jpg

That's so amazing,I've also updated VGABIOS to 2170 in T420 1.37 BIOS just now.

post-1144754-0-99044300-1467625084_thumb.png

Now T420 can set native res without graphics driver. :thumbsup_anim: 

T420(not T420s)BIOS 1.37: 

whitelist removed & VGABIOS 2170

T420_1.37_nowhitelist_2170VBIOS.zip

post-1144754-0-01570800-1467625213_thumb.jpg

post-1144754-0-60539700-1467625239_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So apparently T420 supports a third party BIOS, which in turn supports Ivy Bridge chips. Anybody feeling adventurous enough to try it out and see if OS X works? I am trying to prolong this laptop's life for as long as I can, and a new CPU with a graphics boost would definitely be nice. Was also thinking I could get an i7 chip + do eGPU.

So apparently T420 supports a third party BIOS, which in turn supports Ivy Bridge chips. Anybody feeling adventurous enough to try it out and see if OS X works? I am trying to prolong this laptop's life for as long as I can, and a new CPU with a graphics boost would definitely be nice. Was also thinking I could get an i7 chip + do eGPU.

Can you give us further information?

Thanks.

Can you give us further information?

Thanks.

Here's some info on Coreboot on the T420: https://www.coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/t420

Beyond that, the talk is kind of spotty. There's this thread discussing Ivy Bridge (IVB) on the T420: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Lenovo-T420-Ivy-Bridge-Support-i7-3540M

There are multiple sources speaking of Ivy Bridge support, including this: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bios/81825- but not a lot of people appear to have actually done the mod.

• Like 2

Hi guys, I am looking for the EmuVariable migration process so I can remove the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver.

I think it was on the main post at some point but I cannot find it anymore. Would someone please post the process?

Thanks!