Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Yeah. I got you. But I want to fake a nonsense id so that the related Kabylake iGPU kexts won't load. In the past, I always installed the system without minimal kexts. No graphics, no ethernet, no wifi, etc. This would give me minimal interference.

If you dont want to load kabylake buffer,

Put 0x0d220003(haswell framebuffer one)

Or 0x12345678 in platform-id

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

If you dont want to load kabylake buffer,

Put 0x0d220003(haswell framebuffer one)

Or 0x12345678 in platform-id

As far as I am concerned, this alone is not enough. Even by setting the fake Id and platform id to nonsense id, I think the kexts are still loaded as my monitor reports no signal. Is there a way to remove those kexts for installing?
  • Like 1

As far as I am concerned, this alone is not enough. Even by setting the fake Id and platform id to nonsense id, I think the kexts are still loaded as my monitor reports no signal. Is there a way to remove those kexts for installing?

Did you check intel inject?

Intel inject + platformid + fakeid(want)

Did you check intel inject?

Intel inject + platformid + fakeid(want)

Oops. I didn't check inject intel. Will give it a try now.

Here it's Clover_v2.4k_r4084.pkg if someone needs.

Indeed I was looking for that. Thank you. :)

On another topic, I managed to get Hi Sierra installed on an APFS partition using the updated BIOS information provided by needy and Clover 4084.

First impression: it is sloooooooooowwwwwww. A lot slower than HFS+. Now, of course, this was not meant for HDD and it's also in its first Beta, so I'm not expecting any miracles. I'm surprised it even worked. :)) So until I get it installed on my SSD to compare, I will keep this one as my test bench. :)

One thing I noticed with APFS, it's like a car. It needs some time to "warm up". And not just on boot-up. When opening apps/settings too. After that, it is usable. Probably some caches that need to build up or something. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this from it. :) It's still slower than the HFS+ version, but after a few minutes, it became usable. I didn't restart my computer yet to see if it is still usable after that, or if I need to wait 5 minutes for it to boot every time I start up my computer. Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

I had the same impressions when I installed it on my X79 with APFS. It was much better than my laptop but still quite slow. I use a fusion drive normally so the fact it's installed to an old hard disk is probably adding to the feeling. Going forward I can see it being nice to use, just not right now.

The other thing we need to do is figure out how to properly use it with Clover. Copying apfs.efi to Clover's EFI works, but unlike HFS the Mac firmwares only have a APFS JumpStart efi. I assume this connects to the apfs.efi driver on the disk and loads it. Here it does nothing with Clover. Maybe it needs another driver to help it.

1) The idea is not touch the original files. As long as we provide valid data the check will succeed.

2) This is the check, you're looking in the wrong direction.

3) The code will be updated soon.

1) Cannot agree more. 

2) Also found another patch (could be on same routine, just have not check it again).

3) Will looking forward to your updates.. Thanks again

• Like 2

Just an update before I hop into the installation .. it successfully boots! Will keep you updated...

Good news. I will made kabylake native boot in 10.13 with kabylake frame buffer for you.

MacBookPro14.1. It is only for 10.13. To keep sierra boot, backup config.plist you used.

Added. Maybe you have NVME. Need patch that someone make

• Like 1

@Needy, could you, please, mention what are you using in your Clover version that you shared here?

It's the only one that works for booting Sierra APFS. :D Which is, of course, a good thing. But I'm only curious what makes it work. With any other Clover r4084 I tried so far, it just hangs on boot. No matter how much I wait, it just doesn't work. I can install it. I just can't boot it into the first setup screen (the one where you enter your Apple ID, username & password and all that). Are you using some hardcoded information? If yes, could you, please, mention which information is hardcoded?

I already have the updated information for BIOS version and Bios Release Date in my config.plist. So, I think that part should be ok.

I didn't add anything for Firmware Features though, cause I didn't know if I should add the same thing that everyone else added (I saw some posts around here). Or if I should somehow generate my own. And if yes, what should I add for my particular SMBIOS (iMac 14,1).

So...yeah, looking forward to your reply.

Thank you very much for your work so far. Nice job! :)

• Like 1

hey i have managed to install 10.13 by following this guide http://www.osx86.net/forums/topic/24540-guide-macos-high-sierra-1013-beta/

but still havent updated my clover and using right now v4060... not sure if i should update to 4077 or newer ??

i have cpu 3930k and mobo sabertooth x79 and gtx680.

not sure if i got APFS by installing with that guide or not but anyway i cant boot 10.13 and with -v i can see it stop at Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line something...

what do you guys recommend me to do at this point ? im booting with -v slide=0 darkwake=0 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1

@Needy, could you, please, mention what are you using in your Clover version that you shared here?

It's the only one that works for booting Sierra APFS. :D Which is, of course, a good thing. But I'm only curious what makes it work. With any other Clover r4084 I tried so far, it just hangs on boot. No matter how much I wait, it just doesn't work. I can install it. I just can't boot it into the first setup screen (the one where you enter your Apple ID, username & password and all that). Are you using some hardcoded information? If yes, could you, please, mention which information is hardcoded?

I already have the updated information for BIOS version and Bios Release Date in my config.plist. So, I think that part should be ok.

I didn't add anything for Firmware Features though, cause I didn't know if I should add the same thing that everyone else added (I saw some posts around here). Or if I should somehow generate my own. And if yes, what should I add for my particular SMBIOS (iMac 14,1).

So...yeah, looking forward to your reply.

Thank you very much for your work so far. Nice job! :)

Hey there,

I've done some research, so to speak, and found out that some computers, like mine, natively have the SMBIOS table 128 that is used to store some of the firmware data, like firmware-features. However, the data that exists in that table is not quite useful for macOS, perhaps not at all.

So what clover does is, it checks if the table 128 exists, if yes then it returns that native table otherwise it creates a new one with useful/correct data. It was okay until now because firmware-features were not an issue and nobody would care if that table has anything useful in it or not. However, with the release of macOS High Sierra the firmware-features that are stored in the IORegistry->rom, table 128, not nvram, became an important factor.

You probably already see the issue here, for the computers mentioned above clover would not update anything so the installer would complain. (Firmware error)

MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: ROM Features returned nil!
MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: ROM Features returned: 0
MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[559]: ROM does not support APFS

For now, I am just skipping the check, whether the table 128 already exists or not. But, I will do some more research and see if we need to clear the already existing table as well.

In addition, I've changed the firmware-features mask value.

0xffffffff -> 0xFF1FFF3F

More on that.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324194-pre-release-macos-high-sierra/?p=2436659

I assume that's what's making the difference for you as the installer works with the clean rev. 4084.

Find attached below a diff file with the changes.

Best regards.

disable_check_for_firmware_table_128.diff.zip

• Like 2

Thank you!

That explains it. Now I've got another issue in the form of not being able to boot... regular boot, although the installer did boot so I was able to finish the installation process. However, all the attempts to restart the computer and boot APFS Sierra ended up in frustration. It just hangs on boot.

Nothing changed in terms of Clover, config, drivers etc. Everything's exactly the same. I'm booting from the exact same partition. It worked for the last step of the installer (with your version of Clover, and now I know why) but still doesn't work for future booting.

In verbose mode, I've noticed some errors regarding apfs keybag... Not sure that's related in any way.

Have a look.

post-1303722-0-82093800-1497137008_thumb.jpg

Any clue? Was anyone able to boot High Sierra after the installation completed successfully (meaning after reboot)?

Thank you!

That explains it. Now I've got another issue in the form of not being able to boot... regular boot, although the installer did boot so I was able to finish the installation process. However, all the attempts to restart the computer and boot APFS Sierra ended up in frustration. It just hangs on boot.

Nothing changed in terms of Clover, config, drivers etc. Everything's exactly the same. I'm booting from the exact same partition. It worked for the last step of the installer (with your version of Clover, and now I know why) but still doesn't work for future booting.

In verbose mode, I've noticed some errors regarding apfs keybag... Not sure that's related in any way.

Have a look.

DSC_0091.JPG

Any clue? Was anyone able to boot High Sierra after the installation completed successfully (meaning after reboot)?

You're using the jumpstart driver which is intended for Apple branded computers, more specific their firmware.

Go to EFI/Clover and delete anything related to apfs from drivers64UEFI and/or drivers64.

Once you're done, open the link below and follow the instructions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324194-pre-release-macos-high-sierra/?p=2438960
-1-

I would suggest removing the boot args, except -v.

Clover Package needs a Fix for UEFI or ESP install on APFS Volume

Package failed on APFS see EFIROOTDIR is not the volume

EDIT***

I Hope the Dev find the solution  :angel:

captu272.png
  • Like 2

@Needy

To be more convenient, why we dont just let users to set custom FirmwareFeaturesMask from their config (or GUI?), like FirmwareFeatures? By:
- Declaring gFwFeaturesMask as global variable and set its default value as a fallback (0xFF1FFF3F).
- Get from user config (if any) & store to gFwFeaturesMask.
- Set the final gFwFeaturesMask value to NVRAM & SMBIOS type128.

You're using the jumpstart driver which is intended for Apple branded computers, more specific their firmware.

Go to EFI/Clover and delete anything related to apfs from drivers64UEFI and/or drivers64.

Once you're done, open the link below and follow the instructions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324194-pre-release-macos-high-sierra/?p=2438960
-1-

I would suggest removing the boot args, except -v.

Well, I think I already had that one.... Anyway, I extracted it as you said, but I got the same issue... Now I even added 0xFF1FFF3F as default Firmware Features in my config. But still no difference.

Good news. I will made kabylake native boot in 10.13 with kabylake frame buffer for you.

MacBookPro14.1. It is only for 10.13. To keep sierra boot, backup config.plist you used.

Added. Maybe you have NVME. Need patch that someone make

great..well done

Well, I think I already had that one.... Anyway, I extracted it as you said, but I got the same issue... Now I even added 0xFF1FFF3F as default Firmware Features in my config. But still no difference.

Where did you put that "0xFF1FFF3F" value in config?