Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Just use the driver in the attachment and delete the vboxhfs driver.

@ slice

Can you tell me which additional modules are needed for FileVault2? I know hfsplus must be the hfs driver for it to work.

No, I have successfull FileVault2 with VBoxHFS.efi. Forget myths!

Only module that I have no is AppleKeyMapAggregator. Others work fine.

Slice (or any dev), are you aware that enabling Above 4G Decoding in the BIOS will not allow MacOS to start up? It is an old issue, but I cannot remember if I have seen it discussed in this thread. I have tried with both Clover & Chameleon, so this is more of a feature request than a bug. 

You can see ASUS's description of 4G Decoding here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1004170/

However, is there any way to address this within the bootloader, or is this purely a kernel problem? Theoretically, any 64-bit OS should be capable of this, correct?

The reason I ask is that if you have 2x GTX 9xx series cards, as well as working Thunderbolt, then the motherboard will fail to POST until you enable 4G Decoding. At that point Windows 7 or higher will load, but MacOS will now restart while loading.

A quick question:

I have a Nvidia GTX 750Ti graphics card and a Dell U2715H monitor. Is it possible to have full resolution at Clover boot screen? And by that I mean 2560x1440? I'd settle for 1920x1080. I can only achieve 1280x1024 right now.

I've read a dozen boards and still have not found a definitive answer. I currently have PatchVBios
 enabled and that is it for Graphics.

Thanks.

I noticed there were some recovery-related changes in recent commits. Just checked and I can now boot into the recovery partition on my fusion drive. I haven't tried this for a long time as I assumed it wasn't going to be fixed, but it's nice to see it working at last!

Now, if the Clover installer could be fixed so it can mount the EFI partition on the fusion drive during install/update that would be perfect. Currently, it creates an EFI folder in the root of the system drive and I have to mount the fusion drive EFI partition manually and merge the new EFI folder with the existing one.

This is the code I use to mount the fusion drive EFI partition. Maybe you could modify the installer to check for a fusion drive (Boot OS X folder is probably it) and allow mounting the EFI?

sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
BootDisk=`diskutil list | grep Boot\ OS\ X | awk '{print $8}' | head -c6`
sudo mount_msdos /dev/${BootDisk}1 /Volumes/EFI

I noticed there were some recovery-related changes in recent commits. Just checked and I can now boot into the recovery partition on my fusion drive. I haven't tried this for a long time as I assumed it wasn't going to be fixed, but it's nice to see it working at last!

Now, if the Clover installer could be fixed so it can mount the EFI partition on the fusion drive during install/update that would be perfect. Currently, it creates an EFI folder in the root of the system drive and I have to mount the fusion drive EFI partition manually and merge the new EFI folder with the existing one.

This is the code I use to mount the fusion drive EFI partition. Maybe you could modify the installer to check for a fusion drive (Boot OS X folder is probably it) and allow mounting the EFI?

sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
BootDisk=`diskutil list | grep Boot\ OS\ X | awk '{print $8}' | head -c6`
sudo mount_msdos /dev/${BootDisk}1 /Volumes/EFI

Beware of that line with "diskutil list". You are assuming that one has only one (fusion) drive. I have 8 HFS+ drives with every one of them having BOOT OS X partitions...

I'm using following (it is still not bullet proof, one should read the boot drive (somehow?) and use it):

mountEFI()
{
	efiPartition=`diskutil list|grep "Recovery HD"|awk '{print "/dev/"substr($7,0,6)"1"; exit}'`
	diskutil info "$efiPartition"
	printf "Mounting $efiPartition...\n"
	sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI && sudo mount -t msdos $efiPartition /Volumes/EFI
}

This exits on the first found of device with Recovery HD, still not bullet proof though.

Thanks. I only have one fusion drive and then a removable second disk with regular volumes. There's only one Boot OS X folder.

I haven't tried your script, but with my fusion drive setup the EFI partition is on the first disk (ssd) and the recovery partition is on the second (hdd). That's why I'm grepping for the Boot OS X folder.

Maybe there's a better way of checking for it.

• Like 1

I'm having a super strange issue with Clover: I see no bottom row with extra options AND pressing space bar, although it brings up the boot options for that specific device, I can't pick any: as soon as I hit spacebar or enter on any of the, Clover freezes and I need to reboot the whole computer. Running 3811 and this had been happening before already... :(

A quick question:

I have a Nvidia GTX 750Ti graphics card and a Dell U2715H monitor. Is it possible to have full resolution at Clover boot screen? And by that I mean 2560x1440? I'd settle for 1920x1080. I can only achieve 1280x1024 right now.

I've read a dozen boards and still have not found a definitive answer. I currently have PatchVBios
 enabled and that is it for Graphics.

Thanks.

May be your chipset is not listed in LegacyRegion driver. Show me preboot.log to see this.

Here you go. Thanks!

The problem is here

1:840  0:000  the patch is not ready for the desired resolution

PatchVBios in the nVidia case can work only for

static TABLE_0 nvda_res[RESOLUTIONS_NUMBER] = {
  {1280,  720},
  {1280,  800},
  {1360,  768},
  {1400, 1050},
  {1440,  900},
  {1600,  900},
  {1600, 1200},
  {1680, 1050},
  {1920, 1080},
  {1920, 1200},
  {2048, 1536}
};

There is no 2560x1440 resolution.

Just a sorry. Tables for those resolutions were discovered by pene and he didn't find tables for 2560x1440.

Waiting for new advanced developer.  :(

• Like 1

Hello Slice,

after your latest commit (3873) clover can't be build:

Relevant logs from command "./ebuild.sh -n 9 --vbios-patch-cloverefi --only-sata0 -D USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER --x64 --force-rebuild"

[CC] gma
/Users/Smolderas/Documents/CloverGrowerPro/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/guid.c:307:1: error: control reaches end of non-void function [-Werror,-Wreturn-type]
}
^
1 error generated.
make: *** [/Users/Smolderas/Documents/CloverGrowerPro/edk2/Build/Clover/RELEASE_XCODE5/X64/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit/OUTPUT/Platform/guid.obj] Error 1

build.py...
 : error 7000: Failed to execute command
	make tbuild [/Users/Smolderas/Documents/CloverGrowerPro/edk2/Build/Clover/RELEASE_XCODE5/X64/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit]

build.py...
 : error F002: Failed to build module
	/Users/Smolderas/Documents/CloverGrowerPro/edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/refit.inf [X64, XCODE5, RELEASE]

- Failed -
Build end time: 17:21:15, Oct.27 2016
Build total time: 00:00:35

Damn. Okay, so someone has to program this into Clover?

Shouldn’t I be able to choose 1920x1080 in this case? I went back  and added:

<key>ScreenResolution</key>
        <string>1920x1080</string>

to my config but don't get that resolution either.

You should try to build Clover passing "-D ENABLE_VBIOS_PATCH_CLOVEREFI" to ebuild.sh. 

I don’t think I'm that sophisticated! I've never built Clover, just downloaded the latest from Sourceforge. But I can certainly try! :)

BIOS Block

I would love to know how to build this using your Build-Clover command. Could you give me the steps?

Try this way:

After downloading Clover, use the option 'build existing revision with custom macros enabled'

Select the x64 only architecture:

===============================================================================

Select the desired architecture

<----------------------------------------------------

1) Standard with both ia32 and x64

2) x64 only

3) ia32 only

4) Back to Main Menu

5) Exit

? 2

then select the options to add what you can see in the colorized string and press 'b':

BUILD boot7 with additional macros

1) USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER

2) NO_GRUB_DRIVERS

3) NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED

4) ONLY_SATA_0

5) DISABLE_UDMA_SUPPORT

6) ENABLE_PS2MOUSE_LEGACYBOOT

7) DEBUG_ON_SERIAL_PORT

8) ENABLE_SECURE_BOOT

9) USE_ION

10) DISABLE_USB_MASS_STORAGE

11) ENABLE_USB_OHCI

12) ENABLE_USB_XHCI

13) REAL_NVRAM

14) CHECK_FLAGS

DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT added!

actual macros defined: 

-D ENABLE_VBIOS_PATCH_CLOVEREFI -D USE_BIOS_BLOCKIO -D DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT

enter you choice or press "b" to build:

• Like 1

First of all, thank you!  :lol:  I am excited that I can roll my own Clover now!

But, it did not work, unless I am not doing something right. I followed your directions (except for DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT):

BUILD boot7 with additional macros
     1) USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER
     2) DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT
     3) ONLY_SATA_0
     4) DISABLE_UDMA_SUPPORT
     5) ENABLE_PS2MOUSE_LEGACYBOOT
     6) DEBUG_ON_SERIAL_PORT
     7) ENABLE_SECURE_BOOT
     8) USE_ION
     9) DISABLE_USB_MASS_STORAGE
     10) ENABLE_USB_OHCI
     11) ENABLE_USB_XHCI
     12) REAL_NVRAM
     13) CHECK_FLAGS
ENABLE_VBIOS_PATCH_CLOVEREFI added!
actual macros defined:
-D USE_BIOS_BLOCKIO -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS -D ENABLE_VBIOS_PATCH_CLOVEREFI

enter you choice or press "b" to build:

But at boot I still only get 1280x1024. At boot screen, if I get Clover info I see: "Screen Output: Graphics Output (UEFI), 1280x1024

Do I remove the "PatchVBios in clover now?

Or is this more what Slice said?

I've attached preboot log:

prebootlog2.txt