Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hey, folks!

I've been using Clover (legacy) since Yosemite went out. I had to catch up with new developments, but I can say I'm comfortable with it now. That said, I'm having a kind of annoyance that I don't seem able to solve the usual way: my Intel hack always boot to the Clover boot menu, regardless the timeout key being set to zero. For me, that's a big deal, since I use Apple BT mouse and keyboard, so I cannot select the startup disk I want, having to use a backup mouse I have every time I have to restart. Don't know what can I be missing here. Here's my config, any help will be much appreciated.

All the best!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOEM</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
		<key>CustomLogo</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>MacHDD</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>No</string>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<false/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>Windows</string>
			<string>BOOTX64.EFI</string>
		</array>
		<key>Language</key>
		<string>en:0</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>TextOnly</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>bootcamp</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>PatchVBios</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
                <key>KextsToPatch</key>
                <array>
                <dict>
                        <key>Name</key>
                        <string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
                        <key>Find</key>
                        <data>QVBQTEUgU1NEAA==</data>                       
                        <key>Replace</key>
                        <data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
                </dict>
                </array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>LogEveryBoot</key>
		<string>10</string>
		<key>LogLineCount</key>
		<integer>3000</integer>
		<key>MountEFI</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Solved! The cause was rather silly: I changed the name of my startup disk and forgot to change it in the DefaultVolume key.

First off, I'm using legacy boot.  The other day I upgraded clover from 3188 to 3193 and my computer would no longer boot.  I would see something on the screen along the lines of "....init L" then it would immediately reboot.  I replaced the 'boot' file using the one from 3188 and now I can boot again.  

Any ideas on why this happened?

Thanks.

I had the same issue (see my post earlier.) There was an issue with the insatller that Slice fixed. Re-download installer and reinstall. It works perfectly for me.

• Like 1

I had the same issue (see my post earlier.) There was an issue with the insatller that Slice fixed. Re-download installer and reinstall. It works perfectly for me.

I don't think that's the same issue I'm having.  I downloaded 3193 on march 15th.  That should be the "fixed" version already.

Thanks though.

I cannot get any HFSPlus driver to work.

I am trying to use Clover 3193 on an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition. I boot EFI, and Clover displays all the NTFS and fat32 partitions, but not the Yosemite hfs+ partition that I installed to, and want to boot.

I copied HFSPlus.efi into drivers64UEFI. I can see from the logs that the driver is loaded. I can get into shell64 and also see that the diver is loaded. But there is no filesystem for it.  I tried one-at-a-time hfsplus, vboxhfs-64 and hfsplus-64. None work.

Here is a link to my debug.log, it shows the hfs+ partition "hackintosh_00_yosemite" is unrecognized.

Here is a link to my config.plist, it has a lot of text to hide all the legacy partitions, and boot hackintosh_00_yosemite by default. That does not work either, and I always see all the legacy partitions :/

What might be the problem?

TY!

I cannot get any HFSPlus driver to work.

I am trying to use Clover 3193 on an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition. I boot EFI, and Clover displays all the NTFS and fat32 partitions, but not the Yosemite hfs+ partition that I installed to, and want to boot.

I copied HFSPlus.efi into drivers64UEFI. I can see from the logs that the driver is loaded. I can get into shell64 and also see that the diver is loaded. But there is no filesystem for it.  I tried one-at-a-time hfsplus, vboxhfs-64 and hfsplus-64. None work.

Here is a link to my debug.log, it shows the hfs+ partition "hackintosh_00_yosemite" is unrecognized.

Here is a link to my config.plist, it has a lot of text to hide all the legacy partitions, and boot hackintosh_00_yosemite by default. That does not work either, and I always see all the legacy partitions :/

What might be the problem?

TY!

You made wrong deduction. HfsPlus.efi as well as VBoxHfs.efi can't be non-working. No sense to search for a better one.

I may propose that something wrong with the partition.

You made wrong deduction. HfsPlus.efi as well as VBoxHfs.efi can't be non-working. No sense to search for a better one.

I may propose that something wrong with the partition.

I reformatted the drive with Yosemite Disk Utility twice, neither run helped. I ran Mountain Lion's command line "diskutility verifydisk" and fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk2s2 on the target volume. Neither helped. The partition appears fine on a virtual mac as an external drive, and when mounted on Linux with hfsplus tools. If partitioning is the problem, what specifically might be wrong? The drive or partition size? (999/983 mb) Could it be GPT flags or types or something?  This is the unrecognized partition:

Device Identifier:        disk2s2

Device Node:              /dev/disk2s2

Part of Whole:            disk2

Device / Media Name:      black_haqintosh

Volume Name:              black_haqintosh

Escaped with Unicode:     black_haqintosh

Mounted:                  Yes

Mount Point:              /Volumes/black_haqintosh

Escaped with Unicode:     /Volumes/black_haqintosh

File System Personality:  Journaled HFS+

Type (Bundle):            hfs

Name (User Visible):      Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Journal:                  Journal size 81920 KB at offset 0x1d1c000

Owners:                   Disabled

Partition Type:           Apple_HFS

OS Can Be Installed:      Yes

Media Type:               Generic

Protocol:                 SATA

SMART Status:             Not Supported

Volume UUID:              B13AF246-DAE5-3298-8A73-F3C24B8F988E

Total Size:               983.9 GB (983859998720 Bytes) (exactly 1921601560 512-Byte-Blocks)

Volume Free Space:        983.2 GB (983196971008 Bytes) (exactly 1920306584 512-Byte-Blocks)

Device Block Size:        512 Bytes

Read-Only Media:          No

Read-Only Volume:         No

Ejectable:                Yes

Whole:                    No

Internal:                 No

Solid State:              No

I didn't try Chameleon to hibernate but Clover is working better than Chameleon for me.

Clover is only bootloader supporting hibernation. But also not for all.

1. System must be 10.9.1+

2. Legacy CloverEFi or UEFI Clover with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi

else no way.

I reformatted the drive with Yosemite Disk Utility twice, neither run helped. I ran Mountain Lion's command line "diskutility verifydisk" and fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk2s2 on the target volume. Neither helped. The partition appears fine on a virtual mac as an external drive, and when mounted on Linux with hfsplus tools. If partitioning is the problem, what specifically might be wrong? The drive or partition size? (999/983 mb) Could it be GPT flags or types or something?  This is the unrecognized partition:

Device Identifier:        disk2s2

Device Node:              /dev/disk2s2

Part of Whole:            disk2

Device / Media Name:      black_haqintosh

Then we have to understand what is unrecognized?

For partition to appear in CloverGUI it must contain installed system with boot.efi 

• Like 1

I erased the drive again, and created 3 partitons, an EFI, a system, and an installer. I ran Yosemite's createbootmedia command on the installer partition. I then installed clover 3193 on the efi partition. I think it is important to note that I then copied the exact same binaries and configs from the external drive clover onto the internal clover partittion.

That left me with one fat32/efi_fs and two hfs+ filesystems. I checked the partitions and the filesystems. I then powerer off, and removed all other drives: SATA, usb, optical, everything. I rebooted, UEFI finds and starts Clover on the efi partition. Clover runs, and finds the hfs+ Yosemite installer partition on the same drive. I boot the installer, and it is much slower, even though the configs and binaries are the same. Finally, the installer has seemed to hang before the first screen. I'm going to let it sit overnight to see if the yosemite installer ever opens.

Goodnight!

Clover is only bootloader supporting hibernation. But also not for all.

1. System must be 10.9.1+

2. Legacy CloverEFi or UEFI Clover with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi

else no way.

1. My system is 10.10

2. I use UEFI Clover with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi

Ok, now verified.

Identical Clover 3193 installations, one on an external drive, one on an internal drive. The config.plist was downloaded from RampageDev for x79 chipsets. When Clover boots UEFI from the external drive, ithe Yosemite installer runs, but Clover does not recognise the hfs+ partiton that the Yosemite installer creates. When Clover boots from the internal partition, the Yosemite installer hangs with a white screen, and the spinning beach ball.. This is on an ASUS Rampage IV Black mobo, firmware version 801.

I will now move the drives to other USB/SATA ports. This mobo has at least 2 SATA controlers, and 2 USB controllers. Maybe Intel vs. ASMedia controllers makes a difference.

hi slice. can you take a look at my preboot logs to see if you have any ideas why my HP clover gui looks proper when booted from a clover iso booting of of grub. it even seems to have corrected the stage 2 icon boot on it's own and i see my correct resolution and something called pam that booting directly from efi does not capture. i normally need CSM enabled to get verbose output to look proper. you had commented on it the last time i brought up the subject 

preboot_diffs.zip

Wouldn't it be enough to explain the changes in the commit message? In that case you have the explanation and the code difference together on the screen. :)

(Yes, I know that this is done already, but I mean I don't see why a thread separate from the commit messages is needed)

Wouldn't it be enough to explain the changes in the commit message? In that case you have the explanation and the code difference together on the screen. :)

(Yes, I know that this is done already, but I mean I don't see why a thread separate from the commit messages is needed)

post-823469-0-19981900-1427471768.jpg   :yes:  :lol:  :P

Commit messages can't contain long explanations with screenshots.

If will be,

hi slice. can you take a look at my preboot logs to see if you have any ideas why my HP clover gui looks proper when booted from a clover iso booting of of grub. it even seems to have corrected the stage 2 icon boot on it's own and i see my correct resolution and something called pam that booting directly from efi does not capture. i normally need CSM enabled to get verbose output to look proper. you had commented on it the last time i brought up the subject 

preboot_EFI_Clover shows UEFI boot

preboot_grub_iso shows Legacy boot.

A question else?

• Like 1

Commit messages can't contain long explanations with screenshots.

If will be,

preboot_EFI_Clover shows UEFI boot

preboot_grub_iso shows Legacy boot.

A question else?

Surprised -  I would have thought he would have been aware of the reason the Changes thread is very useful and popular - strange!

thank you slice for looking at the log. that makes sense now. since grub is booted of a usb drive in mbr format. funny thing is the version of clover posted in log is the one installed in my pure GPT EFI partition Stating Clover rev 3197 not the clover version thats on the iso image that is rev 3193 from source forge site. does clover detect the newer revision of itself and use that as default first? 

Which Clover version would work best for OSX Leopard or Snow Leopard?  It would need to at least support 32 bit and Legacy Kernels if there is a versions to use?  Thanks

thank you slice for looking at the log. that makes sense now. since grub is booted of a usb drive in mbr format. funny thing is the version of clover posted in log is the one installed in my pure GPT EFI partition Stating Clover rev 3197 not the clover version thats on the iso image that is rev 3193 from source forge site. does clover detect the newer revision of itself and use that as default first? 

boot == CloverEFI that loaded at legacy boot will search CloverX64.efi everywhere and USB has priority.

Which Clover version would work best for OSX Leopard or Snow Leopard?  It would need to at least support 32 bit and Legacy Kernels if there is a versions to use?  Thanks

All versions.

• Like 1