Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Yes I agree it's a newbie question.  I asked because after several attempts to boot into legacy, I have not been successful and wanted to know if I was missing something obvious.   

After I asked, I tried the same USB drive on another computer and it successfully booted legacy without any issue.  I believe the firmware on my laptop defaults to UEFI over legacy if given a choice.  Even with CSM enabled the boot menu only gives one choice even if the drive supports both UEFI and legacy.  

So to answer your original question, I cannot be sure if legacy clover would work on this laptop. Although considering chameleon works, I suspect clover legacy would too.

Is there anyway to add support for phoenix uefi?  I'd be happy to compile and test.

Chameleon is legacy boot. Always. So it means there is legacy boot on your computer else you can't start chameleon. Clover started as legacy exactly same way as chameleon. If you can start chameleon then you can start legacy clover. Is it clear now?

up

down?

what is plist with "inactive entries"? I don't know such text files.

config.plist can be opened by TextEdit as usual text file. Forget crappy "Clover Configurator"!

2all

Don't ask here about CC.

• Like 3

Chameleon is legacy boot. Always. So it means there is legacy boot on your computer else you can't start chameleon. Clover started as legacy exactly same way as chameleon. If you can start chameleon then you can start legacy clover. Is it clear now?

Yes I understand.

My laptop defaults to UEFI if it sees a drive supports both.  I am not given a choice.  Is there a way to install Clover with ONLY legacy?   

EDIT:  I deleted /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and that allowed me to force legacy boot.  I'm sure of this because I can see the "bf1: init"  screen which is the PBR/stage 1 bootloader.  

However, after the stage1 bootloader, I get the menu with 5 choices with "continue" as the first option.   In your FAQ this means the /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi file cannot be found.  But I'm sure it's there as it boots fine on my desktop computer.  

It boots fine on any desktop machine.

Meanwhile, you should not see "bf1: init" if this is full clover installation because boot1f32 provided with clover keep silence.

If your hdd partitionned as GPT then do not set any partition active and use boot0af as first mbr sector.

Slice, i use plist editor pro and textwrangler. About CC, yes i don't trust that kind of program that almost do the cook and the coffee.

I have my SMBIOS in config.plist set as MacPro5,1 (family,model,serial,etc,.) ; despite it worked well with clover r2999 and 3050 , with r3201 it does not work and clover inject iMac SMBIOS (system profiler). It's a bit frustrating ; furthermore with r3201, i lost my fullHD resolution at bootscreen, windows discs reappears at bootscreen too and trim patch does not work anymore. Ouch!

It boots fine on any desktop machine.

Meanwhile, you should not see "bf1: init" if this is full clover installation because boot1f32 provided with clover keep silence.

If your hdd partitionned as GPT then do not set any partition active and use boot0af as first mbr sector.

I can force the output if I partition as fat16 since 1f32 only supports fat32.  I get an error message, but at least I know it's trying to boot legacy. 

If I delete /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi to force legacy boot.  I run into this screen. 

aPpWvyht.jpg

I can force the output if I partition as fat16 since 1f32 only supports fat32.  I get an error message, but at least I know it's trying to boot legacy. 

If I delete /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi to force legacy boot.  I run into this screen. 

aPpWvyht.jpg

This screen means /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI is not found.

Hey slice and others, 

can you _PLEASE_ add the following information to your Clover online documentation:

- Some UEFI boards like (my) Asus-B85M-G only support booting from the very first partition on a GPT formatted drive!  So if you have an EFI partition first, and you want to boot from an HFS+ partition after the first EFI partition (2+), you will need to write the boot1h2 partition boot block to the first EFI-partition!   So boot1h2 is capable of booting another partition than it is installed on. In my case, my first partition is EFI formatted with FAT32, using boot1h2 (yes believe it or not). This EFI partition has no contents, it is empty! The second partition is the Boot partition, formatted with HFS+ and clover installed on it. The first EFI partition must be also marked as active!  I use boot0ss.

Guys, please extract the information from this and add it to your docs, since this is the only way with my main board to boot from a GPT formatted drive. I tested all combinations for hours.

So, the extract is:

Some UEFI boards will support partition boot from the first partition only, if the drive is formatted with GPT. This first partition is usually the EFI partition, which can be empty and formatted with any format (HFS+ / FAT32 or other). Writing boot1h2 to the first (EFI) partition enables the computer to load clover from another partition after the first partition.

Hello everyone !!!

I have a problem, I Clover V3200 installed on my machine and I can not make partition 1 be the principal to be used;
I tried custom UUID, Default Volume and nothing,
every time restarts with another partition other than the one I want !!
Furthermore it does not automatically mount the EFI partition !!
Follow my Config.plist
NTnQ7vC.png

Hello everyone !!!

I have a problem, I Clover V3200 installed on my machine and I can not make partition 1 be the principal to be used;
Follow my Config.plist

Did you try to restart with the Main Drive?

y10.png

Thats working good for me to Mount EFI and Boot always to the same Volume

Apple app :lol:  :P  Preferance System  / Start Up Disk  

thank you but that is not :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :P  :P
when I turn the hack Clover choose the partition you want

I want I choose when that time is up at the time the Clover start system

thank you but that is not :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :P  :P
when I turn the hack Clover choose the partition you want

I want I choose when that time is up at the time the Clover start system

Yes thats right if you Restart with the Select disk, Clover  Recognize the disk  :yes:

And better the EFI is Mount if you are select your preferance on Clover prefpane

Edit **Clover and Yosemite is on Symbiose

Yes thats right if you Restart with the Select disk, Clover  Recognize the disk  :yes:

And better the EFI is Mount if you are select your preferance on Clover prefpane

Edit **Clover and Yosemite is on Symbiose

ok + does not work that part to assemble and choose EFI partition
You saw the Config.plist I sent?

And what should I change for the shares to be permanent?

ok + does not work that part to assemble and choose EFI partition
You saw the Config.plist I sent?

And what should I change for the shares to be permanent?

Your config looks ok ? 

Did you set the Clover Pref panel like that For Mounting EFI ?

u10.png

Hello everyone !!!

Follow my Config.plist
NTnQ7vC.png

Post your Clover boot.log (found in /Library/Logs/CloverEFI or the output of bdmesg in terminal).

Maybe Clover is reading the wrong config.plist eg you have installed Clover in more than one place?  You can also try resetting your NVRAM in terminal:

sudo rm /nvram.plist
sudo nvram -c

The boot.log should show which config.plist is being used eg for my desktop....

Using OEM config.plist at path: EFI\CLOVER\OEM\P55A-UD3\config.plist

and whether it finds the default boot volume...

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with Clover overwriting NVRAM.PLIST with an MLB value that does not correspond to the the value I setup in Config.plist.

I would not mind if the nvram value is the same as the config.plist one (17 Chars) but the clover injected value is strange (18 Chars) and I do not know where clover gets it from (it is always the same). I have tried deleted nvram.lis and resting it but in vain.

Please note that I am triple booting Win8.1/Yosemite/Maverick on a single disk MBR system (Dell XPS M1530). It does work except from the MLB issue described above. (too much work to convert to GPT) <—note to  fusion71au aka Tintin   :) .

Having checked the boot.log file, I arrived at the rc.shutdown.log which shows that the nvram.plist is actually updated at shutdown:

>> Begin Script: /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

NVRAM saved to '/nvram.plist' [disk0s2]

>> End Script: /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

I have 2 questions:

1- Is there an option to stop Clover updating the NVRAM file at shutdown ?

2- Where is the injected MLB value gotten from ? Is is cached somewhere?

Thanks in advance

boot.log.zip

Hey slice and others, 

can you _PLEASE_ add the following information to your Clover online documentation:

- Some UEFI boards like (my) Asus-B85M-G only support booting from the very first partition on a GPT formatted drive!  So if you have an EFI partition first, and you want to boot from an HFS+ partition after the first EFI partition (2+), you will need to write the boot1h2 partition boot block to the first EFI-partition!   So boot1h2 is capable of booting another partition than it is installed on. In my case, my first partition is EFI formatted with FAT32, using boot1h2 (yes believe it or not). This EFI partition has no contents, it is empty! The second partition is the Boot partition, formatted with HFS+ and clover installed on it. The first EFI partition must be also marked as active!  I use boot0ss.

Guys, please extract the information from this and add it to your docs, since this is the only way with my main board to boot from a GPT formatted drive. I tested all combinations for hours.

So, the extract is:

Some UEFI boards will support partition boot from the first partition only, if the drive is formatted with GPT. This first partition is usually the EFI partition, which can be empty and formatted with any format (HFS+ / FAT32 or other). Writing boot1h2 to the first (EFI) partition enables the computer to load clover from another partition after the first partition.

Clover documentation recommends you the follow

GPT partitioned drive. Pure GPT, not Hybrid! No active partitions!

First partition is EFI formatted to FAT32 (not FAT16!, not HFS+), and has partition type of 0xEF00 (and not 0x0B as usual for FAT32 partitions).

Clover installed into EFI partition. It is not recommended to install on HFS+ partition because for Clover only FAT32 can save logs and screenshots.

Sector 0 contains boot0af

Sector1 of EFI partition contains boot1f32alt

EFI partition contains all bootloaders you may imagine

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 17.03.44.png

• Like 2

Hey guys, it has been a while and oh boy, projectosx is gone too...  :(

Anyway, I upgraded Clover from r2953 to r3193, no config changes, and suddenly, my "automatic" boot stopped working. Trying to search this topic for information yielded a few results, but that was with people using the wrong volume name, and I'm using DefaultVolume with GUID.

I've been playing with it, timeout 1 and timeout 0 on boot section, and sure enough, timeout 1 works, but 0 doesn't anymore.

This system has a Fusion Drive, thus why "Boot OS X".

So, with timeout 1, here are the relevant portions of boot.log:

0:108  0:008  Using OEM config.plist at path: EFI\CLOVER\config.plist
0:108  0:000  EFI\CLOVER\config.plist loaded: Success
0:108  0:000  Loading early settings
0:108  0:000  timeout set to 1
0:108  0:000  Custom boot CUSTOM_BOOT_DISABLED (0x0)
0:838  0:000  GetEfiBootDeviceFromNvram: efi-boot-device-data not found
0:838  0:000  EfiBootVolume not found
0:838  0:000   found entry 0. 'Boot Mac OS X from Boot OS X', Volume 'Boot OS X', DevicePath 'PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(3,GPT,4E0887AC-E303-46D7-A873-A9462BF539E0,0x170EE1A8,0x40000)\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi'
0:838  0:000  DefaultIndex=0 and MainMenu.EntryCount=6
0:856  0:018  GUI ready
2:856  2:000  StartLoader() start

Now, with timeout 0:

0:108  0:008  Using OEM config.plist at path: EFI\CLOVER\config.plist
0:108  0:000  EFI\CLOVER\config.plist loaded: Success
0:108  0:000  Loading early settings
0:108  0:000  timeout set to 0
0:108  0:000  Custom boot CUSTOM_BOOT_DISABLED (0x0)
0:471  0:000  GetEfiBootDeviceFromNvram: efi-boot-device-data not found
0:471  0:000  EfiBootVolume not found
0:471  0:000   found entry 0. 'Boot Mac OS X from Boot OS X', Volume 'Boot OS X', DevicePath 'PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(3,GPT,4E0887AC-E303-46D7-A873-A9462BF539E0,0x170EE1A8,0x40000)\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi'
0:471  0:000  DefaultIndex=0 and MainMenu.EntryCount=6
0:859  0:388  GUI ready
12:318  11:459  Boot option Boot0000 not found
12:319  0:000  StartLoader() start

Just so the timing makes sense, I took about 10 seconds to press Enter.

Would anyone have any idea of what could be holding the startup from automatically continuing to the default option?

I've noticed the "Boot option" extra line, but I have no clue of what it means.

Hi there,

seems I cannot boot into safe mode anymore. Instead I get this:

Y59smGD.jpg

Because this happens very early (seems my comp cannot even load kernelcache), I think it might be connected to Clover?

Any ideas what could cause this?

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with Clover overwriting NVRAM.PLIST with an MLB value that does not correspond to the the value I setup in Config.plist.

I would not mind if the nvram value is the same as the config.plist one (17 Chars) but the clover injected value is strange (18 Chars) and I do not know where clover gets it from (it is always the same). I have tried deleted nvram.lis and resting it but in vain.

Please note that I am triple booting Win8.1/Yosemite/Maverick on a single disk MBR system (Dell XPS M1530). It does work except from the MLB issue described above. (too much work to convert to GPT) <—note to  fusion71au aka Tintin   :) .

Having checked the boot.log file, I arrived at the rc.shutdown.log which shows that the nvram.plist is actually updated at shutdown:

>> Begin Script: /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

NVRAM saved to '/nvram.plist' [disk0s2]

>> End Script: /private/etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

I have 2 questions:

1- Is there an option to stop Clover updating the NVRAM file at shutdown ?

2- Where is the injected MLB value gotten from ? Is is cached somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Hi @RN95,

Check the syntax/formatting of your config.plist file - maybe there is an error there somewhere.

Clover injects MLB from either RtVariables/MLB or SMBIOS/BoardSerialNumber but I would recommend injecting the MLB string from RtVariables and deleting BoardSerialNumber in SMBIOS to avoid conflicts:

<key>MLB</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</string>

Since our XPS M1530 don't have real NVRAM, I wouldn't recommend disabling the RC scripts since the NVRAM.plist file is needed for proper function of iMessage/Facetime (from your bootlog, this plist is located on the root of your Yos volume).  You can try resetting the NVRAM using terminal:

sudo rm /nvram.plist
sudo nvram -c

Good Luck!

And what do you want to say? Clover never working?

Post#6 How to use - common words

Well I'm able to finally get past clover and into the OSX kernel. 

Adding DumpUefiCalls.efi allows me to boot into UEFI clover and get through it.   I don't understand why that would make a difference, but removing it prevents boot and adding lets it continue to the kernel.

However I get an early kernel panic.  Depending on kernel patches selected I see two different panics.  Both are attached along with clover and eficall logs, and plist

post-205145-0-56639400-1429835985_thumb.jpg

post-205145-0-33367800-1429836023_thumb.jpg

debug.txt

EfiCalls.txt

config.plist.txt