Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hi Slice,

Does clover automatically patch MSR 0xE2 lock for Haswell?   This is so weird because this Laptop should need the fix and its running fine without it.  It is an Asus G750JX-DB71.  Over at the Asus Rog Forum they are either patching the kernel or Bios.  This is my second Laptop and I did not patch the Bios this time, and I was able to install OSX mavericks and boot into without any issues what so ever.

Dmesg says found "another" boot volume is that referring to Windows 8?

I wonder now if they have been patching the Bios for nothing?

NVDAStartup: Web

IOPPF - Found another boot volume.IOPPF: XCPM mode

Clover doesn't patch BIOS.

Why you say that patching E2 lock is weird? Sure?! Thousands users many years know that if MSR 0xE2 is locked then AICPUPM or Kernel will panic.

Isn't MSR 0xE2 not a problem for Mavericks and Yosemite? And @ oSxFr33k no, clover doesn't patch the MSR, it patches AICPM to prevent it from trying to write to MSR 0xE2 if you use the ASUSPM patch.

Isn't MSR 0xE2 not a problem for Mavericks and Yosemite? And @ oSxFr33k no, clover doesn't patch the MSR, it patches AICPM to prevent it from trying to write to MSR 0xE2 if you use the ASUSPM patch.

Not using any patching.  I cannot figure out why I am not getting a kernel panic. I modified my Bios but then changed it back to stock.  It should kernel panic in Theory.

Clover doesn't patch BIOS.

Why you say that patching E2 lock is weird? Sure?! Thousands users many years know that if MSR 0xE2 is locked then AICPUPM or Kernel will panic.

No I am saying that I did do the Bios mod, changed 75 to EB using Coderush's EFI tool, but I changed it back to stock 75.  I could also use amiBCP version 4.53 to make it a visible option to enable and disable but have not tried that yet.  In theory I should have to disable the lock.  So far I have had no kernel panics and I know its tried to write to that register by now.  According to the Rog forum thread it is locked and other users have to unlock it or use a patched kernel to prevent the Kernel Panic.

What does it mean by found another boot volume?  Could this be why its not causing a kernel panic?  Sorry for the off topic.  I have attached my config.plist maybe something is set in there to prevent it?

IOPPF - Found another boot volume.IOPPF: XCPM mode

config.plist.zip

Have you tried LowMemFix instead of AptioDrvFix?

thanks.  i used the lowmemfix driver, which eliminated the memory error message, but the boot still hung at the third line of verbose code.

it appears to be an issue with rev 2774.  i just downloaded the very latest version and i am now booting properly into Yos.

having said that, there are hundreds of error messages about kexts that scroll by in verbose mode.  i know there are significant differences in how Yos treats kexts.  i haven't been running long enough to know if there are actual errors that make a difference.

ken

Hello again! Since i replaced my appleintelframebufferazul.kext to have full acceleration @ hd 4600 with my board(h97 asus) i have a weird issue and very annoying! Everytime i restart or shutdown, it logs off normally then my monitors enter power saving mode and after some second my PC SHUTS DOWN and POWERS ON by itself. With original and unpatched kext i don't have this problem. Is there ANYTHING i can do? Any experiments, anything...thanks!

clover checks whether the msr 0xe2 is locked if so then it performs the locked msr patch automatically, so no you don't need to patch because it's automatically by clover.

Apianti sorry

Only curiosity..also if i have bios locked on MSR ?

clover checks whether the msr 0xe2 is locked if so then it performs the locked msr patch automatically, so no you don't need to patch because it's automatically by clover.

That has to be why because I have even gone as far as using the Aptio amiBCP.exe to enable CPU configuration to user so its visible in bios and changed CFG to lock and unlock and it boots fine set either way.  Thanks for the response.

I just can't figure out what is the reason while i try to inject my HD 5000, just after the post : black screen/blinking cursor on the upper left. I hear a boot process (HDD grinding)..few second later : hard reboot automatically.

I switch to my 8400 GS, no problem at all, clover bootscreen et tout le toutim.. and this message.  :yes:

EDIT : interesting.

The message was written while booting in UEFI mode

So.... with motherboard set in Legacy and clover installed on usb pen (legacy) for testing purpose.

I reach the clover boot screen, boot process in verbose with fullHD resolution. And automatic reboot at almost the end of the boot process.

I progress slowly..

So what is the problem? We are stuck to legacy mode on recent motherboard to get the iGPU fully integrated and working (if i manage).

post-497804-0-21580500-1407187679_thumb.png

Hi,

I have a new main board, asus b85m-g (which only seems to boot from efi partitions) with a intel i7 4770. For this system I tried to update from my OSX 10.6.8 system to 10.9.4 (without any success so far).

Since clover is so nice efi, I would like to use it. So I installed recent clover from sourceforge to a efi partition. But it seems I have no clue how to config clover at all (but experienced with chameleon). There are contradictory and too much infos about clover. I have some really simple and stupid questions and cannot find the answers for it:

- It's written that clover can extract the main board dsdt and write it to the partition by pressing f4. If I press f4 in the clover boot menu, nothing happens. I cannot find any option for that, too. Is this still possible?

- if I change anything in the optons, it will be lost on next boot.. How to save the settings?

- I tried to boot a snow leopard partition with a chameleon boot loader on it, but I just see a black screen from the beginning, I also tried to boot a 10.9 installation partition (which works) with a chimera boot loader, but also only a black screen.

- after reinstalling the OSX 10.9 upgrade from a 10.6 Desktop, clover seems to find the installation (which doesn't work with chameleon/chimera) that needs to be continued. So I could use clover (if there is no black screen anymore) to continue the OSX 10.9 update in an apple like way (without [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which doesn't work here)?

- I have a ati 5570 graphics inside and also a intel hd4600. On chameleon I booted the ati using the eulemur personality, but in clover, I haven't patched anything yet. Will this cause the black screen?

Thanks for help, btw. Where is the best place to post such beginners questions?

apianti, thanks a lot for these fast answers :)

The directory \EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\origin must exist on the efi partition and that's where the DSDT (and SSDTs) will be dumped.

Ah it already works. Nice non destructive DSDT in there...

You probably need OsxAptioFix or OsxLowMemFix drivers to get working system if booting UEFI.

OsxAptioFix solved the problem with the black screen on the asus b85m-g. Seems to be a Aptio bios.
Thanks for the nice links.

Now I can boot into my OSX 10.6.8 installation. But immediately I see a kernel panic caused by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. So I tried different settings like kernelcpupm patch, etc. No success.

Since OSX 10.6.8 only supports old CPUs and of course set the option KernelCpu to true and also faked the cpu id using FakeCPUID=0x0206A0 (sandy bridge). Do you think these settings are good for booting a 10.6.8 kernel on a haswell system?

EDIT: Ok, choosing sandybridge seems to be completely wrong. If I simply remove it, a OSX 10.9 kernel will load normally, a OSX 10.6.8 kernel will just halt after first messages (but no kernel panic anymore).

Edit: choosing westmere (0x0206c0) will continue booting, but with turbo ratios 000. Any way to fix this? Tried things like dropoemssdt, kernel pm patch, appleicpu patch, without success...

I also left the C-states untouched (never really understood how to set it up). What c-states should I set on a Core i7 4770?

I also left the default dsdt patches untouched....

EDIT: And last question: Can I have different clover settings for each partition? I mean, since OSX 10.6.8 needs a lot of patching but OSX 10.9 maybe not, it would be helpful if I could setup different settings for each..

Thanks for any help!

You can't boot anything under 10.8.5 with haswell, no power management. Um you can set different options for different entries by using /GUI/Custom/Entries key, you can look it up on wiki for more detail, there is not ability to patch different kexts for each though, at least not yet, I have intention to fix that but not enough time.....

It actually boots the 10.6.8 kernel using fakecpuid 0x000206c0. Until "device in slot 1" and "waiting for dsmos". Then message appears: "ioregistrydescriptor: iouserclient inputcount count mismatch"... Any idea here?

Just a small question - and apologies if this is not the correct place to ask. Where is the correct place to ask for an updated Clover smc version definition for MacBook Air 6,2.? Version in all Clover revisions currently is set as 2.13f7 while current apple firmware version is 2.13f9  . I know it is a small thing, but would be nice to get rid of the constant notification in App Store about updating the firmware.

Many thanks!

Edit: Either that or it'd be good to be able to make an effective edit in FakeSMC.kext, but it appears that this is only an option for Chameleon based installs - I am happy to be corrected if wrong but FakeSMC versions I have tried to edit do not seem to allow the version update to stick and be read by Clover.

It doesn't have the power management for that CPU in the OS, and the power management for the faked CPU isn't in the CPU. I don't think you'll get it to work. You can try NullCpuPowerManagement though.

Now do I add custom kexts to clover? Is there a kext dir besides the sys/lib/ext dir?

Edit: Either that or it'd be good to be able to make an effective edit in FakeSMC.kext, but it appears that this is only an option for Chameleon based installs - I am happy to be corrected if wrong but FakeSMC versions I have tried to edit do not seem to allow the version update to stick and be read by Clover.

If you use CloverGrowerPro to compile Clover, you can edit the file /Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/platformdata.c and add

proper information for MacBook Air 6,2...

This may work as a workaround till the devs update the code...

• Like 1

What smbios are you using? please give debug.log and your config.plist.

Hi,

iMac14,1

I have an Asus Z97 + 4690K

Here is the requested files (see attached please)

The .log is the boot.log of my current session. I don't know ho to debug, sorry.

UEFI : black screen + blinking cursor

Legacy : boot screen, boot process and almost at the end.. hard reboot.

It's probably related to Z97 + devil's canyon.

EDIT : ok, debug log while "booting" with a black screen in UEFI mode attached

and this call out me :

8:906  0:012  Custom boot screen not used because entry has unset use graphics
8:908  0:001  Failed to initialize boot screen: Aborted!
8:910  0:002  Closing log

Archive.zip

debug.log.zip

Thanks,

The rig is dsdt free because everything works fine natively (power management in particular). I guess there's nothing that must be fixed inside.

About my memory modules, if i remember correctly, in the other slots, SMBIOS related entries were not injected. That must be the reason i have chosen these slots in particular :)

I will remove it, no problem, but it was to "fake" mainly the frequency of the iMac14,1 (mine's are set to 2400MHz in the UEFI BIOS in reality).

I will add patchvbios as well as suggested ; i have made a clean dsdt for my board some weeks ago, so i will drop it in ACPI despite there is not patch inside. I will check how to drop my ssdt tables.

But do you think, it will fix the issues about the black screen and HD 4600?

The custom boot screen aborted stuff?

Best Regards

Even if i verbose, i can't see nothing because full black screen and blinking cursor. I have a lot of multipliers, it's enough for me. x8 when idle and x39 or x(ratio) when OC.

(config files idem as 10.9)

No DSDT while booting.. see the debug.log attached :)

EDIT : memory slots seems ok in sys pref with my smbios. iMac14,1, 2 slots. Slot 0 and 1 reported.

post-497804-0-15066000-1407266850_thumb.png

Apple doesn't have any mac with 9 series motherboards, so it doesn't support any 9 series motherboards, without the patched kext, it won't start, it will say missing bluetooth controller and that's it :) and if i inject it via fakeid i won't have any graphic acceleration . Thanks anyway!

dafuk is this link :)

so far:

UEFI mode

- main graphics in BIOS=PCIe

- config.plist:

csm driver+patchvbios=false : no 1080p with my old fella 8400GS

no csm=patchvbios=true : 1080p ok when boot (this is not why i dropped by, but, hey it's cool :)

boot ok and i'm here and able to post..

- main graphics=IGPU

monitor source switched from PC(VGA) to HDMI

Hello Clover ? No... black screen and blinking cursor of death. OSD shows a 480x320 resolution.

I hear a boot process in a background as described previously followed by a hard reboot.

Legace mode

---> clover installed on usb pen (legacy)

- main graphics in BIOS:IGPU

boot on the USB pen

I see the boot menu, boot launch with graphics.

Just before arrived to the desktop -> black screen and computer shut down

related debug.log attached.

debug.log.zip

You can get it from the installer image.

This is what happens when i use a non-patched azul kext, it won't continue after that. That's why the platform id in this case is irrelevant because my hd 4600 is not recognized.

post-1112030-0-72087500-1407311735_thumb.jpg

Could anyone try to help me with my Clover install?
The boot process in the installer is going fine until the moment when the GUI should load, at which stage I just got a black screen and the monitor switches itself to stand by.
I tried both standard and nvidia plists (I've got a GTX 780, on a P67 Sabertooth board with 2600k CPU). My Mavericks install using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is working just fine.