Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Interesting... So would his "diskx" be disk1s1 for me? And would this cause any data loss from that partition? 

It's always advisable to backup your data before performing any of these procedures and yes, data loss is possible if you don't know/understand what you're doing :).

I would try using the commands on a test disk first eg a spare USB drive to get the hang of it.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, but take any old Asus board and look thorough it's DSDT. You will be surprised to find GNVS and SNVS methods which get and set values from/to non volatile storage.

It is possible to compile Clover with a key -D REAL_NVRAM

Well, to Google then! Thanks for all the help. :)

You could always back up your important data (pictures/music/documents etc) on another HDD /USB stick. Then go with the full wipe method. Meaning wipe clean your entire HDD and then format it for Mac OS X Journaled. This will automatically recreate the EFI partition needed for boot.

If you feel adventurous, you can also go for the manually recreation of the EFI partition as fusion recommended...though it might be risky (especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing) and you might end up formatting everything anyways. So...up to you. Personally, I would go for the backup + wipe HDD + reinstall OS X and restore my {censored} from backup. But that's just me. :) You know best what's best for you.

• Like 1

Wanted to add most of Pavo's nvram is generated by Clover :P If yours looks similar its not an indication that nvram is unlocked. To check for sure you need to remove EmuVar, delete /nvram.plist and use nvram -c, than use something like sudo nvram boot-args="-v" and set an nvram variable yourself. Check that -v was written by using nvram -p before rebooting. After rebooting use nvram -p again and check that -v is returned, if its saved in args you do have writable nvram.

Sure ?:lol: Also " " ?

score! i didn't see that before.. so nvm :P

Yes, disk is disk1 "-i" in the command is what dictates the partition 

understand any commands you use with gpt because its a powerful tool

Yes, complete data loss of efi partition because you are removing it and recreating it

It's always advisable to backup your data before performing any of these procedures and yes, data loss is possible if you don't know/understand what you're doing :).

I would try using the commands on a test disk first eg a spare USB drive to get the hang of it.

Good Luck!

You could always back up your important data (pictures/music/documents etc) on another HDD /USB stick. Then go with the full wipe method. Meaning wipe clean your entire HDD and then format it for Mac OS X Journaled. This will automatically recreate the EFI partition needed for boot.

If you feel adventurous, you can also go for the manually recreation of the EFI partition as fusion recommended...though it might be risky (especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing) and you might end up formatting everything anyways. So...up to you. Personally, I would go for the backup + wipe HDD + reinstall OS X and restore my {censored} from backup. But that's just me. :) You know best what's best for you.

Yeah, I've been looking into the manual creation of the EFI and I don't think I trust myself enough to mess with that.  :P I've also discovered iPartition, which supposedly has the capability of doing this for me, but again, I don't trust myself. I think arsradu's solution will be best for me - I'll just make a copy of my HDD overnight. I'll see what happens tomorrow! Thanks everyone!

All right, reformatting worked, and Clover is installed to my HDD. I do still have one problem, and that is with installing my ethernet kext: I created a 10.10 folder inside of the kexts folder on my EFI drive, and that's where I put my kext. However, after attempting to boot into OS X with it configured this way I get to the Apple logo and loading bar, the bar begins to fill, but always slows/stops about halfway through. I'm fairly positive I'm installing the correct kext, so am I doing something wrong? 

EDIT: Nevermind! Putting the kext in the "Other" folder worked just fine. However, I've just realized that my Windows boot partition isn't showing up in my boot loader... It's just my OSX partition and its recovery partition. Is there a way to configure which partitions appear in the boot loader? 

@powermapler,

Check your Clover config.plist (or upload here so we can have a look) and make sure that legacy items are being scanned and that you haven't hidden the Windows entry in the GUI section

Also if you have installed legacy Windows, then placing ntfs.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 fixes the cosmetic problem with partition names showing as "legacy" instead of their real names.

Edit

Is your BIOS setup to boot in legacy mode or UEFI or both?

Did you select "System Reserved" as the partition to boot legacy Windows from?

Also the BIOS on certain machines won't allow Clover to boot legacy Windows.  On my Dell laptop XPSm1530, I followed Pene's advice and installed UEFI Windows on a full GPT partitioned hard drive & everything works well (even though my machine has legacy BIOS!).

@powermapler,

Check your Clover config.plist (or upload here so we can have a look) and make sure that legacy items are being scanned and that you haven't hidden the Windows entry in the GUI section

Also if you have intalled legacy Windows, then placing ntfs.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 fixes the cosmetic problem with partition names showing as "legacy" instead of their real names.

Yes, Windows appears to have been hidden under GUI. I undid that, and now the partition does appear in my boot loader. However, when I try to boot Windows through the boot loader I'm left with a black screen with blinking cursor in the top left. I know it's not a problem with my Windows install because I can still boot into Windows by manually overriding the boot in BIOS... Strange. 

I need help with clover Hiding my NEW 1tb HHD, its pissing me off so much how in the hell do i find the damn UUID of my HD?!?!? I need steps please. someone for love of god...

I need help with clover Hiding my NEW 1tb HHD, its pissing me off so much how in the hell do i find the damn UUID of my HD?!?!? I need steps please. someone for love of god...

Mhhh God won't help!

But google might. If you are using Clover - look up the UUID of your disk in Library/Logs/CloverEFI and about half way down you will see the UUIDs of each of the disks you have.

the Clover WIKI has most of the information you need as the UUID needs to be added to the GUI section of config.plist.

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/GUI

NB. You cannot use OS X's Disk utility as the Info section there sees something different for a UUID. If you are using Chameleon I ain't go a clue. Somebody else will need to advise you.

@powermapler,

Also if you have intalled legacy Windows, then placing ntfs.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 fixes the cosmetic problem with partition names showing as "legacy" instead of their real names.

Edit

Is your BIOS setup to boot in legacy mode or UEFI or both?

Did you select "System Reserved" as the partition to boot legacy Windows from?

Also the BIOS on certain machines won't allow Clover to boot legacy Windows.  On my Dell laptop XPSm1530, I followed Pene's advice and installed UEFI Windows on a full GPT partitioned hard drive & everything works well (even though my machine has legacy BIOS!).

-I didn't know that that was an option... Is there a way to check? 

-I believe so, although it is only listed as "Windows" in diskutil list and boot loader. 

I'm not sure if I have Clover configured correctly. Here is a copy of my config.plist: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cWRyrtHaFebkdUQ2hBNGJVZm8/edit?usp=sharing

My copy of Windows is installed to an MBR-formatted SSD, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Not sure if this is the BIOS setting you were talking about: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cWRyrtHaFeejROWnRBT29qS00/edit?usp=sharing

-I didn't know that that was an option... Is there a way to check?

Well, I'm not sure what's your motherboard maker and model (putting this kind of information in your signature might be very helpful. Also, you won't have to worry about always giving it away when needed.) but, on Gigabyte motherboards, if you press F12 upon booting, it will show you the list of mounted drives. From there, you can select either the one with "UEFI:" in front of it, this way you will boot in UEFI mode, or the one without, this way booting in legacy mode.

You can also enter your BIOS setup (that I think is F2 on my motherboard...but I might be wrong) and configure your boot order.

-I believe so, although it is only listed as "Windows" in diskutil list and boot loader.

If I remember correctly, your Windows is not actually on the same drive as the OS X, is it? That might be the reason why it doesn't work. It's not just another partition on the same HDD/SSD, it's another partition on another HDD/SSD. And if the HDD is formatted as NTFS, with no EFI partition to boot from...that might be the reason why it doesn't work. I'm not sure booting one hard drive from another one will actually work... Never tried that, honestly. But I will, since I also have Windows on another HDD.

I'm not sure if I have Clover configured correctly. Here is a copy of my config.plist: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cWRyrtHaFebkdUQ2hBNGJVZm8/edit?usp=sharing

My copy of Windows is installed to an MBR-formatted SSD, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Not sure if this is the BIOS setting you were talking about: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cWRyrtHaFeejROWnRBT29qS00/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, it might... And honestly I don't know what exactly should you do for this case. I'll let the more experienced ones talk on this.

About putting your kexts in the Other folder....I don't know. I think it will work well for single booting. But I had some problems when trying to dual-boot Mavericks and Yosemite. For this case, I had to put the kexts I need in 10.9 (for Mavericks) and 10.10 (for Yosemite), leaving all the other folders (including the "Other" folder) untouched.

• Like 1

Good idea, signature updated.  :)

Yes, my Windows installation is on an SSD separate to the HDD OS X is installed to. This never gave me any trouble when I was running a Mavericks/Chimera system, but I do realize that Clover is very different. 

My partition layout:

MBR SSD - Partition 1: Windows 8 (NTFS)

GPT HDD - Partition 1: EFI

Partition 2: Yosemite (Mac)

Partition 3: Data partition for Windows (NTFS)

Good idea, signature updated.  :)

Good life choice! :)

Yes, my Windows installation is on an SSD separate to the HDD OS X is installed to. This never gave me any trouble when I was running a Mavericks/Chimera system, but I do realize that Clover is very different. 

My partition layout:

MBR SSD - Partition 1: Windows 8 (NTFS)

GPT HDD - Partition 1: EFI

Partition 2: Yosemite (Mac)

Partition 3: Data partition for Windows (NTFS)

Yeah, thought so. I also tried this on my system and I got the same blinking cursor as you did, when trying to boot into Windows, from Clover.

I don't usually do that. I set the first drive to boot from, to be the OS X drive, and the second one in boot order, the one with Windows (and Linux). :) So, If I want to boot into that one, all I have to do is press F12 upon computer startup, and then select the second HDD. That's all, folks. :) This way, it's using GRUB to boot and I'm pretty happy with that. But on Asus motherboards...I don't think you have a shortcut key for that boot menu so that you can easily switch between booting the OS X drive or booting the Windows drive.

• Like 1

Well, that's incredibly inconvenient.   <_< Oh well, aside from this everything is working quite well as near as I can tell. Perhaps I'll come back to this problem later - I think it's time for a break.  :P

Thanks for the help! 

EDIT: Turns out F8 is the shortcut for my boot menu, so that isn't too bad. Not quite as simple as I'd like, but this isn't supposed to be simple! Maybe I'll reformat one day and put OS X and Windows on the same drive.

• Like 1

EDIT: Turns out F8 is the shortcut for my boot menu, so that isn't too bad. Not quite as simple as I'd like, but this isn't supposed to be simple! Maybe I'll reformat one day and put OS X and Windows on the same drive.

Your config.plist looks OK to me.

The main problem is the interaction between Clover and legacy Windows.  The BIOS on some machines can't boot legacy Windows from Clover at all and others need Clover installed with the "Bios Block" option. 

Windows can also be very finicky about where its booted from eg if I try to boot legacy Windows installed on my SSD from Clover installed on a separate disk, I get a BCD error so @asradu's point is valid about installs on different disks.

In your current situation, using F8 to boot Windows with its own boot loader on one drive and OSX with Clover on the other drive is probably the best work-around.

If you do decide to reformat your Windows disk, then I highly recommend installing Windows in UEFI mode.  On my desktop rig, I have the followng installed

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:               Windows_NTFS System Reserved         104.9 MB   disk0s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS WIN7_X64SSD             119.9 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX Mavericks           250.0 GB   disk1s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64HDD             250.1 GB   disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data DATA                    499.8 GB   disk1s4
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX Lion WD             60.0 GB    disk2s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS OSX Yosemite WD         50.7 GB    disk2s3
   4:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s4
   5:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X Mavericks  8.1 GB     disk2s5

I can give preference in the BIOS to boot Clover from disk2 and I can still boot my UEFI WIN7_X64 on disk1 from Clover's main menu.

post-846696-0-52077500-1406789336_thumb.png

Try running this command in terminal....

bdmesg | grep GUID

I get output like this ...

18:282  0:003   12. Volume 'EFI', GUID = CEE0B900-F6CD-459F-AD9A-23F4F8889EEC - no nvram.plist - skipping!
18:282  0:000   13. Volume 'OSX Mavericks', GUID = 9EF4C4CE-7D12-432A-B667-6EEC117B9F8E Modified = 2014-7-31 5:22:27 (3685497747000 ms) - newer - will use this one
18:327  0:044   14. Volume 'WIN7_X64HDD', GUID = 5901E794-8336-483F-A28A-8B8ED0F9FBC1 - no nvram.plist - skipping!
18:360  0:032   15. Volume 'DATA', GUID = 9FFA0207-9C7C-463B-B9E1-574EB8E2E46D - no nvram.plist - skipping!
18:360  0:000   16. Volume 'EFI', GUID = 961B1B77-3246-46CD-9865-BE224E5FC39B - no nvram.plist - skipping!
18:360  0:000   17. Volume 'OSX Lion WD', GUID = 1F4BE787-10E3-4BC4-8CC2-328D914F226D Modified = 2014-7-20 7:43:57 (3684555837000 ms) - older - skipping!
18:406  0:046   18. Volume 'OSX Yosemite WD', GUID = 7A5D8AE6-670B-4EDB-8994-44639B53FD2D Modified = 2014-7-31 0:37:16 (3685480636000 ms) - older - skipping
[attachment=145594:Clover Main Menu Boot UEFI Windows.png]
  • Like 1

I have to say, I am tempted to reformat - that would also give me the chance to boot OS X off of my SSD instead of HDD which is something I've wanted to do but haven't been able to due to the MBR formatting of the drive. Perhaps I'll look into that in a few days. Thanks for the tips  :D

@powermapler, if you are using Clover in native UEFI mode, then you may try this:

- set Clover option as first one in boot order in UEFI/BIOS screen

- set your legacy windows drive as second one in boot order in UEFI/BIOS screen

- set Boot/Legacy=LegacyBiosDefault in Clover's config.plist

And then selecting any legacy entry in your Clover main menu should boot your legacy windows.

• Like 6

Hi everybody :)

I have a little problem, i use clover in UEFI mode,i have a gtx 660 and motherboard :  asus p8z68-v pro gen3, i want 1920x1080 resolution in clover,  I tried to install the driver CsmVideoDxe, and it's works i have my resolution but the problem :
My boot's led on my motherboard is working . why ?  And when i disable the driver  everything work but i have 1024x768 ... 

Hi everybody :)

I have a little problem, i use clover in UEFI mode,i have a gtx 660 and motherboard :  asus p8z68-v pro gen3, i want 1920x1080 resolution in clover,  I tried to install the driver CsmVideoDxe, and it's works i have my resolution but the problem :

My boot's led on my motherboard is working . why ?  And when i disable the driver  everything work but i have 1024x768 ... 

PatchVBios=true

PS. Why nobody knows this key???