Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

@ magnifico,

Thanks you very much!

Ok so that value is not zero. Let me try to come up with a solution/workaround for this problem as well. Will keep you posted when I found one.

Have fun all ;)

Ok Pike , thanks if you need other news, I'm available

Okay great. So should I also be seeing an External Clock of 25MHz in SMBIOS table 4 when booted using other loaders? which means Chameleon, RevoBoot, Ozmosis and maybe XPC (haven't checked), need may want to be changed too? 

EDIT: Looking at a dump from a Macmini6,2 I indeed do see an External Clock of 25MHz.

Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Voltage: 0.9 V
External Clock: 25 MHz
Max Speed: 2300 MHz
Current Speed: 2300 MHz
Upgrade: ZIF Socket
L1 Cache Handle: 0x0002
L2 Cache Handle: 0x0003
L3 Cache Handle: 0x0004
Serial Number: Not Specified
Asset Tag: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Part Number: Not Specified

Okay great. So should I also be seeing an External Clock of 25MHz in SMBIOS table 4 when booted using other loaders? which means Chameleon, RevoBoot, Ozmosis and maybe XPC (haven't checked), need may want to be changed too? 

EDIT: Looking at a dump from a Macmini6,2 I indeed do see an External Clock of 25MHz.

Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
External Clock: 25 MHz

Thanks, but Samantha already changed RevoBoot – three years ago – to set it to zero (0) and I don't think that I should change it now:

https://github.com/RevoGirl/RevoBoot/commit/d372c72ab59e75de56c663ede45997aeb9f8640c

Hi

I`m using Clover UEFI Boot on LenovoG500 with i3 and HD4000.

The Problem is i can't use ig-platform-id 0x01660003 because its for 64mb RAM. G500 used only 32mb RAM.

With 64MB RAM in Bios enable (i have patching Bios to Advance Menu) System boots fine with QE/CI and Monitor detect as Internal but i have lots of glitches and artifacts.

If i use 32MB Ram in Bios and config.plist ig-platform-id 0x01660004 System boots fine too with QE/CI and Monitor detect as Internal but with a Black Screen. I see that from other PC with ScreenSharing.

I know the problem and edit AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext so i have to patch from 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 to 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00

and all works great.

Now my question.

Is there any way to do this with KextToPatch function?

Or is there an other way?

Because with the next OS Update to 10.9.3 there is a new AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and after Update Internal Display will Black again. 

Hope anyone can help.

Hi

I`m using Clover UEFI Boot on LenovoG500 with i3 and HD4000.

The Problem is i can't use ig-platform-id 0x01660003 because its for 64mb RAM. G500 used only 32mb RAM.

With 64MB RAM in Bios enable (i have patching Bios to Advance Menu) System boots fine with QE/CI and Monitor detect as Internal but i have lots of glitches and artifacts.

If i use 32MB Ram in Bios and config.plist ig-platform-id 0x01660004 System boots fine too with QE/CI and Monitor detect as Internal but with a Black Screen. I see that from other PC with ScreenSharing.

I know the problem and edit AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext so i have to patch from 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 to 05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00

and all works great.

Now my question.

Is there any way to do this with KextToPatch function?

Or is there an other way?

Because with the next OS Update to 10.9.3 there is a new AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext and after Update Internal Display will Black again. 

Hope anyone can help.

About artefacts. Try slide=0 in your boot-arg. It looks like a trick.

About KextToPatch. Why not?

There is a sample

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>SGVhZHBob25lcwA=</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>VoodooHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>VGVsZXBob25lcwA=</data>
			</dict>

Set your digits and letters here.

a1k0n

I think is

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Find</key>

<data>BQMAAAIAAAAwAgAA</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>AppleIntelFramebufferCapri</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>BQMAAAIAAAAwAAAA</data>

</dict>

• Like 2

Hi folks.

It's been long ago since I used Clover. Now I decided to give it another go, hopeful it would help me to solve some issues i'm having with wake from sleep: the computer wakes to a black screen since its BIOS crashed a couple of weeks ago.

Well, in this year away from Clover, I lost track with its evolution and changes, so I was very impressed to be able to boot with it from UEFI using both my monitors (previously, it would boot to a very distorted image in the IGPU monitor, until I unplugged/replugged it, and no image in the monitor connected to the 9800GT, and a patched DSDT solved only the latter), with a correct About This Mac info, iMessage/FaceTime working and the same p-states I get with Chameleon and a proper SSDT (the other time I tried Clover, it was a nightmare). All of this with the default config.plist and with no SMBIOS, patched DSDT or custom SSDT.

The downside of not being using Clover for this long is tha I'm not sure how things are done these days. I really don't know what entries should I add or remove from the config.plist, if I still really need a patched DSDT or SSDT etc., to fully benefit from Clover. For instance, what I was expecting to achieve was:

- a faster boot: last time I tried Clover in UEFI mode, starting up was blazing fast, way faster than Chameleon. Now it takes twice the time, and I didn't locate any entries like "WithKexts" in the config.plist to justify this;

- more p-states: I'm getting the same underwhelming speedstep I was with Chameleon and a patched SSDT generated by pike's script, but it's kind of disappointing since I though Clover would also be miles ahead on this field. I confess I didn't try to put my patched SSDT under ACPI/Patched, specially because I'm not sure if I would have also to add or remove entries from the config.plist for the SSDT to work properly;

- a solution for wake from sleep to a black screen: even with my custom DSDT inside ACPI/Patched, the issue not only persists, but it became even worse: now the system would wake (to a black screen) only if I press the power switch;

- a beautiful Apple boot logo: I know it's cosmetic, but I'm used to the beautiful 1080p Apple boot logo I get with Chameleon.

As I am not familiar with the current configuration steps, I'll upload my config.plist and a IOReg. If someone skilled point me to the changes I must make to achieve the results listed above, or even better, change it for me, it would be highly appreciated.

All the best!

Archive.zip

Some comments.

"WithKexts" is no more present. There is another logic. We always want to boot with kernelcache vs chameleon that is not able to do this.

Anyway, if we set into config "InjectKexts=Yes" then we load additional kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/*. So kernelcache+extra_kexts.

We can set InjectKexts=Detect. Clover will detect if booted system already contains  FakeSMC. If not then it will load kexts from own folder. In this case you may not bother to say explicitly if you want to load extra kexts. They will be loaded automatically if needed.

Space bar on keyboard shows you Details menu with some options, one of them is "no cache" to prevent loading kernelcache. It will be helpful if you have wrong kernelcache, for example, after booting with Chameleon.

"more p-state"??? It is not for your choice. It is Intel CPU property. And this depends on Mac model. If you choose iMac then you will have only 2 states: min and max. If you choose MacMini then you will have intermediate states. Within all the same conditions.

"black screen after wake" - usually it is related to ATI connectors patches. Am I right that you speak about Radeon?

"Apple boot logo". This is a Chameleon feature because it not uses boot.efi. The boot logo is located inside it.

• Like 1

@Slice,

I think @theconnactic is referring to his IHACK Workstation with GA H77-DS3H/i5 3570K/HD4000/Geforce G210/Geforce 9800GT in his sig...

You mentioned in this post in the Clover Instructions thread that in order to get sleep working in UEFI mode, you needed to flash a UEFI BIOS onto your video card...maybe the 9800GT is the problem here.

You mentioned in this post in the Clover Instructions thread that in order to get sleep working in UEFI mode, you needed to flash a UEFI BIOS onto your video card...maybe the 9800GT is the problem here.

This is deprecated information. Thank for put my attention on this.

The problem with UEFI sleep is resolved since Clover 1942. There was a change in OsxAptioFix.

With this patch sleep/wake is UEFI mode works fine even with old videocard, with CsmVideoDxe and with kozlek's fakesmc.

• Like 1

@Slice,

I think @theconnactic is referring to his IHACK Workstation with GA H77-DS3H/i5 3570K/HD4000/Geforce G210/Geforce 9800GT in his sig...

Yes, iHack Workstation! But no, I didn't think it was the case of flashing the GPU's BIOS, even before Slice's clarifications, because the issue was already present with Chameleon since the BIOS crash I experienced. Thank you for yor answer!

Some comments.

"WithKexts" is no more present. There is another logic. We always want to boot with kernelcache vs chameleon that is not able to do this.

Anyway, if we set into config "InjectKexts=Yes" then we load additional kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/*. So kernelcache+extra_kexts.

We can set InjectKexts=Detect. Clover will detect if booted system already contains FakeSMC. If not then it will load kexts from own folder. In this case you may not bother to say explicitly if you want to load extra kexts. They will be loaded automatically if needed.

Space bar on keyboard shows you Details menu with some options, one of them is "no cache" to prevent loading kernelcache. It will be helpful if you have wrong kernelcache, for example, after booting with Chameleon.

Do you think the very long boot time I'm experiencing with Clover UEFI may be related to a wrong cache? So booting without caches would perhaps solve the issue? In case not, which other Clover settings could relate to boot time? In Chameleon, just to remind you, I boot in less then 30 seconds with kernel caches.

S"more p-state"??? It is not for your choice. It is Intel CPU property. And this depends on Mac model. If you choose iMac then you will have only 2 states: min and max. If you choose MacMini then you will have intermediate states. Within all the same conditions.

Okay, that explains why I have maximum stock, minimum stock and three turbo states as multipliers, right? If yes, I won't bother with it anymore, since the Geebench results I'm getting show definite improvements. I wish the temps were lower, but they are not high beyond the safety level.

"black screen after wake" - usually it is related to ATI connectors patches. Am I right that you speak about Radeon?

No. As fusion said above, I'm using a 9800 GT with a VGA monitor in conjunction with the integrated HD4000 with a DVI monitor. The issue started after a BIOS crash, two weeks ago, I think the backup Gigabyte BIOS is a different version from the one I was using when everything worked, thus the problem. I was hoping Clover's better hardware detection would help me solve this.

""Apple boot logo". This is a Chameleon feature because it not uses boot.efi. The boot logo is located inside it.

That means there's no solution for the stretched Apple logo I have with Clover UEFI?

Thank you very much for your clarifications.

well, I am about to "scream" THIS IS CRAZY!  I have been trying to get Clover to work on a PC for loading MacOXS X 10.6 or 10.9.

I am completely confused about getting Clover to start up a USB version of either MacOS version.

Now, in the installation instructions, Slice pointed out that the USB needed to be a 1 partition USB stick formatted FAT-32 and MBR.

Since so many of you have had success making Clover work for yours, can someone talk to me about using it on a USB to load either MacOS X 10.6  or 10.9

Thanks 

• Like 1

well, I am about to "scream" THIS IS CRAZY!

Is there something about using Snow Leopard to build a USB loader that keeps us from using a GUID formatted USB that can be Clover bootloader activated in custom mode

This.

There seems to be a compatibility issue with the Clover pkg installer and Snow Leopard that prevents installation into the EFI partition (?failure to mount EFI by the installer)  eg if you tick "Install in ESP", running the installer in OSX 10.6.8

post-846696-0-74459000-1399708616_thumb.png

post-846696-0-07825800-1399708651_thumb.png

You get the following in Clover_Install_Log.txt

Clover EFI installer log - Sat May 10 17:26:31 EST 2014
Installer version: v2k r2652 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.4 GB    disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS CLOVER                  16.1 GB    disk2s2
Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/CLOVER

You will have to either

Hi, folks! While still researching how to solve my wake-from-sleep issue using Clover enhanced hardware detection, I decided to try and solve the supposedly easiest of the annoyances I am experiencing: the stretched Apple boot screen. Trying to use the patch VBIOS key render my system impossible to boot. Tried also to use the CSMVideoDXE.efi driver, both with and without CSM enabled in the BIOS, and got the same result. 

All the best!

Tried also to solve the long boot time (over 75 seconds!). Now that's a huge deal breaker, since I have to restart a lot. I can live without sleep or a perfect Apple boot logo, but if I fail to shorten this boot time, I'll have to go back to Chameleon... =/

@theconnactic,

That does sound like an abnormally long boot time :no:

Is the delay before or after you reach the main Clover menu?  Do you have boot logging enabled in your config.plist? This can lengthen the boot time significantly but may also provide clues to any other problems.

Maybe also give the Hackintosh Vietnam tool a try - it can create a very good, basic config.plist based on the CPU and graphics card you specify.

@theconnactic: First of all upload a Clover boot.log to see what's happening.

Does the delay happen in legacy? If so, it may be related to external/additional USB hubs/devices. In my system I've got a USB bluetooth dongle that causes a 25 seconds delay in legacy mode, without it it boots in less than 5 seconds.

I also have that resolution problem in UEFI mode (no problem in legacy) but in my case it's due to the {censored} and half baked firmware included in these hybrid Gigabyte mobos. Oh, and in UEFI I need to use a driver called "LegacyRegion2Dxe" to unlock additional resolutions though it shouldn't be necessary for most.

• Like 1

Hi, Maniac10!

Will do later, i'm in the middle of important work with my hack now. Thank you for the answer.

Oh, and it's UEFI mode. The Clover package I have, downloaded from Sourceforge, doesn't seem to have LegacyRegion2Dxe. Didn't even know it existed. Where do I find it?

All the best!