Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Please help I loose my mind. Auto Boot doesnt work. 2 weeks ago I installed Clover without any problem in Fusion Drive. I format my machine and installed again with same guide to Fusion Drive. But no matter what Auto boot doesnt work. I checked my config.plist and timeout set 5 I changed different times no any result. I changed my DefaultVolume name with same name my drive "Fusion Drive". Still no any auto boot. I add my UUID to DefaultVolume. No result. I also tried with boot argument "rd=uuid boot-uuid=

" no any result.

Just one thing I used different last install. I create my USB with new Clover v2k r2774. Two weeks ago I created r2756. is that cause this?

Please give me a suggestion what should I do?

I almost 5 times formated and reinstall still no auto boot.

This works for me  for Auto Boot 

open terminal type 

sudo nvram -c

Open Clover Preference pane, click on NVRam variables. In the drop down menu "Save NVRAM contents to disk", select always   after  reboot, reset to Auto  

and reboot again 

You might have a problem with CloverUEFI but I doubt it's a Clover problem.  All my Hacks run CloverUEFI and OS X installed with a CloverUEFI:USB regardless of the chipset (Z77 - Z87 - Z97), and without issue... Not recommending something because you can't make it work isn't very helpful.  

True. Also, telling someone that they couldn't make something work, something that, in your opinion, with your experience, on your hardware, should have been very easy to achieve, isn't very helpful either. I can't and I won't recommend something I didn't test myself. Makes sense, right? Also, I won't recommend something that, for me, didn't work. It's my recommendation and I hope everyone understands that.  If they can get it to work, awesome! Maybe they can share their knowledge so that noobs like me will be able to recommend things more accurately in the future.

It's just a recommendation. I didn't say it won't work. Cause I can't possibly know if it will. I can only say it didn't, for me. I can't recommend something based on someone else's experience on a totally different hardware, with a totally different Clover configuration. The fact that, maybe, because of the lack of my experience or support from the community (I already posted this before and, as you can tell, still doesn't work for me because no one knew how to fix it, or, at least, no one reading my posts didn't), I couldn't get this to work, doesn't make me recommend it.

Since you obviously have more experience than me with these things, you wouldn't mind helping me getting this to work on my system too, right? :)

No worries, but no one ask for your recommendation... I replied as others did when you were attempting to boot UEFI, it became apparent, IMO, that you weren't following instructions or did not understanding what being explained. No one can really help with that... As this is Clover support thread, once again your comments where just not helpful. I'm certain this sounds like a personal attack but it's not intended to be.

As far as you making it work, create a UEFI:USB and boot/test with it until you have your issues resolved.

For example: Attached screenie and place FakeSMC in the appropriate kext folder. (EDIT: If fakeSMC is already in S/L/E, no need to add it to USB kext folder)

post-922667-0-68288800-1406435491_thumb.png

No worries, but no one ask for your recommendation... I replied as others did when you were attempting to boot UEFI, it became apparent, IMO, that you weren't following instructions or did not understanding what being explained. No one can really help with that... As this is Clover support thread, once again your comments where just not helpful. I'm certain this sounds like a personal attack but it's not intended to be.

As far as you making it work, create a UEFI:USB and boot/test with it until you have your issues resolved.

For example: Attached screenie and place FakeSMC in the appropriate kext folder.

Yes, no one asked for it but I was just suggesting a way that, in my opinion, with my experience, proved itself to be working, at least in my case. It was for the best of the user. I am sorry if I missed your post. I might have been too busy to get it to boot and get iMessage to work that I might have skipped the part where you were teaching me what to do to get the boot logo in both UEFI and legacy modes. Again, I'm sorry for that. I'll try your suggestion now and come back with fresh results. Thanks.

About this thread, for as far as I know, it's Clover discussion thread, not support thread. Which means that it's designed for people to discuss general Clover related stuff. Not only the good stuff, and not only the bad stuff either. But anything related to Clover bootloader. By the way, this specific discussion really doesn't help anyone. :) So let's focus on the issue here.

I'll try to make a USB stick with Clover, installed the way you suggested. If it works, I very much thank you for your time posting this and we'll see each other around.

PS: yeah, it kinda does sound like a personal attack. And it's weird, since I don't remember offending/attacking you in any way. I was just expressing my opinion and offering my recommendation, whether it was requested or not. And it's up to the person receiving it to follow it or not. It's called freedom of opinion. And it's a right that everyone has.

UPDATE:

Well, first of all, thank you.

Second of all, I don't know if this was related to my config at the time, or there was a bug in that particular version of Clover (last time I tried that, I was using an older version of Clover). For as far as I can remember, I always had OsxAptioFixDrv-64 in my installation. So, the only two differences were the Clover version and the config. If you say it worked for you on many different hardware (meaning you also had this working with older versions of Clover), then it must have been my config.

Anyway, I switched my BIOS/UEFI to boot from the UEFI partition instead of the regular one. Also, it works if you configure Clover installation for legacy mode, the way I showed on the previous page. That's my current configuration. And all I had to do is to boot in UEFI mode.

I remember the issues I had were specific to Mavericks (black screen till the login screen, no logo at all). But, at that time, I didn't know about flags like UseAlternateLogo (or whatever might have been before that) and CustomLogo on the newer versions of Clover. So...maybe that's why. And I wasn't an expert in using the Clover Configurator or manually editing the config.plist file either. I'm still not. I'm as far of being an expert as the Earth is to the next galaxy. But I'm learning.

So thanks. :)

edit: Now I saw your edit. I don't keep FakeSMC in S/L/E. It works fine from Clover's kexts folder...so I never felt the need to move it from there.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but isn't Mavericks supposed to have a second boot stage, as well? Cause in my case, it's only one stage (with spinning wheel and logo and everything) until it reaches the login screen. In Yosemite, first stage boot is perfect, as well, but the second stage boot is just the loading bar. No logo. Am I missing something? Do you have that in both stages? Does anyone have that? Would you recommend trying something? (Yes, I'm asking for your recommendation. But I wouldn't mind you offering it anyway, if it's relevant and helps me fix the issue. :P )

Hello all, I've exhausted all of my ideas so it's time to ask the experts. I cannot boot via USB any createinstallmedia OS for install. I've crosschecked myself against the guides to use createinstallmedia a dozen times and I'm doing everything instructed. I've tried to boot a 10.9 install and a 10.10 install via createinstallmedia and neither works. What happens is I boot the USB stick and at the Clover boot menu I select the USB and hit return... and nothing happens. NOTHING. Hitting spacebar and selecting any of the options works the same way; nothing at all happens.

I am booting 10.9.4 via Clover UEFI just fine with everything working. I am running the latest Clover and FakeSMC. My hardware is Haswell/Asus Z87/HD4600. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello all, I've exhausted all of my ideas so it's time to ask the experts. I cannot boot via USB any createinstallmedia OS for install. I've crosschecked myself against the guides to use createinstallmedia a dozen times and I'm doing everything instructed. I've tried to boot a 10.9 install and a 10.10 install via createinstallmedia and neither works. What happens is I boot the USB stick and at the Clover boot menu I select the USB and hit return... and nothing happens. NOTHING. Hitting spacebar and selecting any of the options works the same way; nothing at all happens.

I am booting 10.9.4 via Clover UEFI just fine with everything working. I am running the latest Clover and FakeSMC. My hardware is Haswell/Asus Z87/HD4600. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

So, let me get this straight. You can navigate through the boot drives, but when you press Enter to load one, it simply doesn't do anything? Does it do anything if you try to load Mavericks for example, from HDD? Can you use your mouse for the same purposes?

I'm not sure which option did you try in Clover menu...some of them look like they are not doing anything, but they are. Like the boot flags. Pressing Enter once will make the field editable. Pressing it again, will save changes (if any changes were made).

Anyway...looks like it's a problem with your USB installer. I can try to teach you how to make a USB drive with Disk Utility and your Mavericks/Yosemite app, if you want to try something different...

Hi arsradu! Yes, I can navigate through the boot drives and I can hit to enter to load my Mavericks and Windows installs but hitting enter to load the USB drive with OS X installer does nothing. Sure, I'd be interested in alternative methods too, thanks!

Hi arsradu! Yes, I can navigate through the boot drives and I can hit to enter to load my Mavericks and Windows installs but hitting enter to load the USB drive with OS X installer does nothing. Sure, I'd be interested in alternative methods too, thanks!

Looks like somehow the USB drive is not bootable... I'll come back with a little tutorial to help you with that. :) Hold on.

Requirements:

• a working OS X installed on your computer (it can also be in VM, if you want)
  • a USB drive of at least 8GB
  • the Mavericks/Yosemite app (you can download Mavericks from App Store, if you want, or Google it, there are a lot of places to get this from)
  • ShowHiddenFiles app (you can show hidden files using Terminal commands as well, but this is what I personally use)
  • Clover Bootloader (of course)
Getting the necessary files on the USB drive:
  • Boot up OS X on your computer, insert the USB stick and open up Disk Utility
  • Select your USB drive on the left pane, go the the Partition tab, click the drop-down menu and select 1 Partition in the Partition Layout section.
  • On the right side, under the name (which you can leave as it is, or rename as you like) make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
  • Click Apply and wait for it to finish.
  • When it's done, click the Restore tab. Minimize the window.
Now, before restoring anything, we will need to get the necessary files from the Mavericks/Yosemite app.

For that, open up the ShowHiddenFiles app and select Show Special Files. This will make all system files visible. You're gonna need them later.

Now go to your Applications folder (if you downloaded Mavericks from App Store) or wherever you downloaded it, right click the file and select Show Packages Contents.

Now go to Contents -> SharedSupport, right click the InstallESD.dmg file and select Open. Here you should see 4 files: a .DS_Store file, a BaseSystem.chunklist file, a BaseSystem.dmg file and a Packages folder. We're gonna use all of them, minus the .DS_Store file.

So, now that that's done, go back to your Disk Utility window and make sure you have both, your Finder window (the one with the 4 files mentioned above) and the Disk Utility window, opened side by side (preferably not overlapping).

• Drag and drop the BaseSystem.dmg file into the source textfield. Don't worry, it will work. Alternatively, I think you can click the Image... button and browse for the dmg file. I usually prefer the drag and drop method because it's faster.
  • Drag and drop the partition on your USB drive (not the drive itself, but just the partition that was created after you partitioned the USB drive a few steps before) into the destination field, just like you did with the SystemBase.dmg. In the end, it should look something like in the attached screenshots (your USB partition will most likely be named differently, but don't worry about that).
  • Click Restore and wait for it to finish.
  • It will ask you to Erase the drive. Accept that.
  • When that's done, you can close the Disk Utility window and open up the newly created USB drive on your Desktop. By default, the name should be something like OS X Install ESD.

Now, at this point, you might have two drives with the same name. In order to tell them apart, from your Desktop, do this: Command key + J. If you're using a Windows keyboard, that's gonna be Start key + J.

• In the pop-up window, select the checkbox for Show Item Info. This will display the size of each drive. Now, you should be able to tell them apart since, your USB drive is at least 8GB (or at least 7,5GB), whereas the other drive is about 5GB. So clearly that's not your USB drive. You can also open it up to check its content. At this point, it would be good to rename your actual USB drive to whatever name you want.
  • Open up the actual OS X Install ESD drive, select and copy the Packages folder (you will see where).
  • Open up your USB drive and go to System -> Installation.
  • Remove the .packages file and paste the Packages folder that you previously copied.
  • Open up the OS X Install ESD drive again, select BaseSystem.chunklist file and the BaseSystem.dmg file and copy-paste them to the root of your USB drive.
With that, the image is restored and the drive is ready for the bootloader.

Installing Clover Bootloader on the USB:

So open up Clover Bootloader, click Continue until you see the destination selection screen, select your USB drive as the destination and click Customize.

Now, you've got two options: legacy or UEFI.

• If you've got a UEFI enabled motherboard, you can go for the UEFI installation method. If you don't, or you want the legacy method, you can have that as well. Below you have screenshots for each method. Try to replicate that in your installation.* Don't mix and match. Use one single installation method: legacy mode or UEFI mode.
*For UEFI, I couldn't get that into the screenshot, but you can also select the checkbox for "Install RC scripts on all other boot volumes.", just like for legacy installation.
  • Click Install and wait for it to finish installing.
Now, open up your USB EFI partition (if it's not mounted already, use Clover Configurator to mount it). Should be colored in white, just like the USB drive itself. Make sure you don't mount the EFI partition on your HDD, by mistake. The USB EFI should not be mounted at disk0s1. That's your HDD EFI partition. In my particular case, the EFI USB partition is mounted at disk2s1 (but it might be different in your case).

Hold on, we're not done yet! But we're getting closer or....Clover. :)

Now, open up that USB EFI partition, go to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9 (if you're trying to boot Mavericks) or create a 10.10 folder if you're trying to boot Yosemite (as well) and, inside it, paste your FakeSMC.kext. Leave the other folders untouched.

You can use Clover Configurator to edit your Clover's config.plist, add SMBIOS information and whatever else you might need. Or you can do it manually, if you want, by editing the config.plist file with any text editor.

NOW the drive is ready for booting.

Restart your computer, and in the boot menu, select your USB drive. Gigabyte motherboards have easy access to the boot menu, by pressing F12. I don't know about Asus motherboards though... Anyway, make sure you are actually booting from your USB drive, and not the HDD.

post-1303722-0-10300400-1406470955_thumb.png

post-1303722-0-53733900-1406470969_thumb.png

post-1303722-0-08862100-1406470979_thumb.png

post-1303722-0-06836400-1406471025_thumb.png

post-1303722-0-97665500-1406471036_thumb.png

Ah, before you posted the text, reading now, thanks!

Uhm...I posted everything at the same time. I edited the text a little bit, after that, but the screenshots were posted along with the text. You only saw the screenshots? :))

I can't really make it all from screenshots. It would take a LOT of screenshots and a lot of time to make it all so that it makes sense. So read the text. It's a lot to read, but, believe me, once you actually start doing it, it won't seem like such a big pain in the {censored} to get it done. And once you do it a few times, you will be able to do it on your won.

Basically, what you're doing there is:

1. partitioning the USB drive and formatting it as Mac OS X Journaled (Mac's proprietary partition system). HFS+ if I'm not mistaken.

2. using the Restore feature of the Disk Utility application to make an installer USB drive so that it can take the necessary packages from your USB and not your HDD. 

3. adding a bootloader so that you can use that USB drive as boot drive

If you've got any questions, please, let me know.

I know I wrote a lot and I will try to adjust the initial post so that it is easier to understand for everyone. 

Yeah, I thought it might be possible. But...there is an issue with Clover and UEFI only booting (at least in my case there is). I don't have any boot logo if booting in UEFI. So...I prefer the legacy booting method a lot better... Also, because of that, I wouldn't recommend installing Clover in UEFI mode only. And with both Clover and Chimera installed this way, I don't think you will be able to boot both anymore, since both bootloaders are gonna be in MBR....? But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :) I've still got a lot of stuff to learn. 

No, actually I can still boot via _both_ methods by just enabling / disabling UEFI boot in the BIOS, so I have "dual bootloaders" - which can be handy while debugging etc. And imho, pure UEFI booting only is recommended with Clover, I mean that's one of the main points why we use clover over chameleon?

• Like 1

No, actually I can still boot via _both_ methods by just enabling / disabling UEFI boot in the BIOS, so I have "dual bootloaders" - which can be handy while debugging etc. And imho, pure UEFI booting only is recommended with Clover, I mean that's one of the main points why we use clover over chameleon?

You are right, that's the main difference, and it's a huge difference, between Clover and Chameleon. Thanks for the info.

If you change the timeout to "0" does it boot to your fusion drive?

This doesn't work.

This works for me  for Auto Boot 

open terminal type 

sudo nvram -c

Open Clover Preference pane, click on NVRam variables. In the drop down menu "Save NVRAM contents to disk", select always   after  reboot, reset to Auto  

and reboot again 

This doesn't work either.

Edit: Finally I found it problem. I added wrong UUID. Changed right one and its work now. Thank you guys...

@ Sergey

Please i have a little question

On my sistem in sign i need a driver EmuVariable mandatory!

Now

, without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver, clover saves successful the last booted system

And with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, clover doesn't remember the last booted system

I also tried this:

-key-Boot-/key-
    ~dict~
        ~key~IgnoreNVRAMBoot~/key~
        ~true/~
Without success

First, thank you arsradu, your guide was stellar, I was able to produce a bootable 10.10 USB installer. I was able to install and run 10.10 but only with injectintel off and in safe mode. If I attempt to start with injectintel enabled it crashes in seconds and restarts before I can read the verbose output. If I attempt to start with injectintel disabled but not in safe mode then I get a missing Bluetooth controller transport error.

I need injectintel for my HD4600. Any ideas? Thanks!

First, thank you arsradu, your guide was stellar, I was able to produce a bootable 10.10 USB installer. I was able to install and run 10.10 but only with injectintel off and in safe mode. If I attempt to start with injectintel enabled it crashes in seconds and restarts before I can read the verbose output. If I attempt to start with injectintel disabled but not in safe mode then I get a missing Bluetooth controller transport error.

I need injectintel for my HD4600. Any ideas? Thanks!

No idea right now. It might help to take a look at your Clover's config.plist (the one you're trying to use with your USB drive) if you want to upload it. :)

You might also try to add kext-dev-mode=1 as boot flag. See if that makes any difference.

If you can boot in Safe Mode, sounds like a kext problem to me.

Once you're booted up in Safe Mode, you could try fixing permissions using this command in Terminal:

diskutil repairPermissions /

And  also removing kext cache so that it can be recreated on the next reboot, using this command:

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/*

For the second one, you will also need to enter your password.

@ Sergey

Please i have a little question

On my sistem in sign i need a driver EmuVariable mandatory!

Now

, without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver, clover saves successful the last booted system

And with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, clover doesn't remember the last booted system

I also tried this:

-key-Boot-/key-
    ~dict~
        ~key~IgnoreNVRAMBoot~/key~
        ~true/~
Without success

Hey magnifico,

Strange question.

If without EmuVariable driver Clover can remember last booted system then you have working hardware NVRAM. This is very good and you are lucky!

What do you want else?

Hey magnifico,

Strange question.

If without EmuVariable driver Clover can remember last booted system then you have working hardware NVRAM. This is very good and you are lucky!

What do you want else?

Mhm..maybe i dont unterstand ,

What does this flag... :poster_oops:

IgnoreNVRAMBoot

"Ignores the setting of Startup Disk panel and allows booting into the same operating system at all times."

use nvram -p and bdmesg to see if nvram is truly working and being saved without EmuVar

LocationServicesEnabled %01

bluetoothActiveControllerInfo ^%10}%04%00%00%00%00@%14%00%19%15Z:%a8

EFIBluetoothDelay %b8%0b

SystemAudioVolume A

^ sample of non-working nvram ^  if you have a similar return from nvram -p your nvram is still locked..

http://pastie.org/9429171

I do have locked nvram in OSX and I'm currently booting with Ozmosis without using EmuVariable so that is a paste of nvram.plist created from booting Clover using EmuVar.

Ozmosis uses a file called Defaults.plist (similar to clovers config.plist)  that does enter its contents to my boards real nvram because its loaded in to firmware before entering OSX.

• Like 1

Getting this error with CloverGrowerPro

'tempfile' can't be called as a method at bin/po4a/lib/Locale/Po4a/Po.pm

Someone that has any Idea?

http://pastie.org/9429171

I do have locked nvram in OSX and I'm currently booting with Ozmosis without using EmuVariable so that is a paste of nvram.plist created from booting Clover using EmuVar.

Ozmosis uses a file called Defaults.plist (similar to clovers config.plist)  that does enter its contents to my boards real nvram because its loaded in to firmware before entering OSX.

I was asking what would be the returned result of the -nvram command for unlocked nvrams, since you posted an example for a locked one. :)