[HOWTO] Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 + osx 10.4.7/10.4.8 JaS

thedguy

348 posts in this topic

tedguy

I have a question about IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Will it help me, or not.

Here's the problem:

I've already installed 10.4.8 SE (i call it second edition =) ).

And made everything work, except of the internet.

I have the ZyXEL Prestige 600 (xDSL router).

I connect to the internet via it, and i have to set my network settings to receive a DHCP adress.

But with or without Yukon patch my net. adapter receives a crazy adress instead of normal (on 10.4.7 - it works just fine).

So, if I copy the NetworkFamily.kext from the 10.4.7 - will it help?

I'm going to try it anyway (copy all the IONetwork kexts).

Hope it works...

Cause i dont see any other option.

TNX.

tedguy

I have a question about IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Will it help me, or not.

Here's the problem:

I've already installed 10.4.8 SE (i call it second edition =) ).

And made everything work, except of the internet.

So, if I copy the NetworkFamily.kext from the 10.4.7 - will it help?

I'm going to try it anyway (copy all the IONetwork kexts).

Hope it works...

Cause i dont see any other option.

TNX.

As long as 10.4.7 worked for you before, it'll work in 10.4.8.

I have a WD SATA hard drive.... So does Julian's fixes resolve the slow speed issue?

Julians fix helps compatibility with the WD drives on the purple ports. 10.4.8 has full support for the Orange (ich8) ports, and they run faster as well.

With 10.4.8 the only real need for julians fix is if you want to use an IDE optical or secondary hd in OSX.

The only way to install on GB 965P-S3 is to connect HDD and DVD to the yellow ICH8 sata ports and ENABLE SATA PORT 0-3 NATIVE MODE.And that's how it worked for me using 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 reseeded ISO.

Credit for the info for this guide needs to be given to ConroeMac, SABR, Diego Sampaio, and Julian23.

First I must point out you can NOT install OSX no matter what version unless your DVD drive is either connected via USB or SATA.

I've tested this and it's just not possible to run OSX on an IDE drive of any form. It can't boot from it. Even with the kext files mentioned below. Give it up!

So why should I upgrade to 10.4.8?

Simple. It's faster and you get ICH8 support. No longer will you have to worry about connecting to the your HD to purple or orange ports. Just hook the drives up to the orange ports and let 'er rip.

What this guide covers

Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3.

GA-965p-S3

I think the GA-965p-DS4 can follow this guide as well.

What don't it cover

This is not a step by step but merely a supliment to other install guides.

Bios Settings

With Jas 10.4.8 you don't need to worry about your bios settings.

If your upgrading for 10.4.7 copy from /System/Library/Extensions the "IONetworkingFamily.kext" or anything with the "IONetwork" in it to a place you can get to it (USB thumbdrive, or another partition).

Installation

Follow your favorite install guide until you get to the point where you chose your packages.

The Packages you'll want are:

kernel choice is yours, use 1 or the other. Semthex seems to get better support on IRC.

JaS.10.4.8.ich8.pkg

10.4.8.azalia.audio.pkg

JaS.10.4.8.VIA.ULi.SATA.support

other packages are upto you.

DO NOT put in the USB fix. It's doesn't work.

Getting everything to work

At the time of writing none of the previous ways of fixing the reboot work

Fix Audio:

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:
In Terminal, type: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:
In Terminal, type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):
<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>
change the string to:
<string>0x10ec0883</string>
Exit pico
sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
change the string to:
<string>0x284b8086</string>
Exit pico
3) Clean up the system:
In Terminal, type:
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

======+++++++++++++=========

======Getting IDE to work=========

======+++++++++++++=========

You will still have to get a working install with a USB or SATA DVD before this will work.

You can get IDE to work

Due to the unique nature of our systems, you will NOT (with 10.4.8 or older) be able to run OSX or it's install dvd from the IDE on these boards. It is a fact of life.

Many thanks goes to Julian for finding the Vendor/Device ID's.

The parts in RED are the parts to be added.

You should just be able to edit the required files then. As 10.4.7 already has them.

I'm using the latest JaS 10.4.8 release with the sem kernel. I can't get the audio fix to work. When I restart, I get a system error saying that some of the extensions couldn't be loaded. Any ideas?

Repair the permissions. I had to manually repair them with the chown / chmod commands (listed near the end, in my tutorial) and then use diskutil repairpermissions /

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions && chmod -R 0755 /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairpermissions /

BTW, no need to quote the section of the tutorial when asking for help.

I can't get the Jas 10.4.8 DVD to boot. People running 10.4.8, did you use the Jas DVD or upgrade? If you upgraded, which method did you use?

System Specs:

GA-965P-DS3

Pentium D 805

SATA WD HD (could that be problem?)

Is there a newer release of the Jas DVD that I am missing. I went on an iso hunt to get this one.

I can't get the Jas 10.4.8 DVD to boot. People running 10.4.8, did you use the Jas DVD or upgrade? If you upgraded, which method did you use?

System Specs:

GA-965P-DS3

Pentium D 805

SATA WD HD (could that be problem?)

Is there a newer release of the Jas DVD that I am missing. I went on an iso hunt to get this one.

For some reason i never managed to install on my WD2500KS no matter what. I borrowed a samsung hd from my brother hooked it up on the jmicron ports and install was smooth and quick.

This samsung drive is not as quick as the WD but i can barely hear it spin, my system is very quiet and that is a nice thing when running osx.

If I am using the Jas 10.4.6, the install is fine. As I understand it, "waiting for root device" does not have to do with the hard drive, but only the the dvd rom drive. Perhaps what I need to try is a usb connection. It seems strange though that one would work and the other would not. That would seem to be a flaw in the kernel.

If I am using the Jas 10.4.6, the install is fine. As I understand it, "waiting for root device" does not have to do with the hard drive, but only the the dvd rom drive. Perhaps what I need to try is a usb connection. It seems strange though that one would work and the other would not. That would seem to be a flaw in the kernel.

Your Sata adapted DVD-rom is no longer working with 10.4.8? Mine is working great, for once.

Linuxjackie: try playing with the bios settings to get 10.4.6 to see your HD, it's all I can really say to do. Oh also try connecting to different ports on the board. I've had trouble with drives being detected if on certain ports.

Got a kill question:

And how do i get PCI slots working? I need to install another Network card.

Have Intel Pro/1000 GT (dev_107c, ven_8086, ssid_1376, class_0200)

Tried to modify IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff 0x107c8086</string>

Am i missing smth? ;)

I am able to boot Jas 10.4.6 and Jas 10.4.7 but not 10.4.8.

First image is 10.4.8, then 10.4.7, then 10.4.6

Setup is same for all three boots.

Key differences concerning 10.4.8 from 10.4.6:

64 Bit mode enabled

Does not recognize the CPU as Pentium D

XML Parse error: OS UnserializeXML: syntax error near line 1

skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage

skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.IOATAPIProtocol Transport"

skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon"

skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleInter...."

ACPI CA 200060421 (10.4.6 is 20051117 [debuge level=0 layer=0]

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers (10.4.6 is 2621 buffer headers and 2621 clusters IO buffer headers)

post-46964-1163838914_thumb.jpg

post-46964-1163838935_thumb.jpg

post-46964-1163838959_thumb.jpg

This post will be what I like to call a "no {censored} Sherlock" post....

For some reason 10.4.8 doesn't want to load the ata drivers.

Is it possible to upgrade 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 without booting into the 10.4.8 install? (I.e. running install from within 10.4.7)?

Perhaps we can keep this to the Gigabyte thread in the hardware section till this problem is solved so to not bloat this thread.

I have the 10.4.8 JaS reseed installed but I cannot reboot. *ugh*

- The 10.4.8 reseed image checked out using md5sum.

- I installed using sata attached DVD using "purple and orange ports" method listed in this thread

The installation went flawlessly. I partitioned the drive in advance using slax, booted the 10.4.8 reseed, selected and formatted the destination partition and proceeded through the install.

The system hung during its first reboot. I got the prohibited sign (circle w/ line).

I rebooted again with -v and am seeing this:

Failed to load extension com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage

Couldn't alloc class "AppleAHCIDiskDriver"

still waiting for root device

...you get the idea...

It also showed the Failed to load extension message for several usb and other drivers.

I rebooted via DVD, used Disk Utility to repair perms on the partition and then used a shell to look around in the partitions. None of the files like /System/Library/Externsions.mkext or /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache even exist.

The system has never successfully booted once.

Ideas?

I have the 10.4.8 JaS reseed installed but I cannot reboot. *ugh*

- The 10.4.8 reseed image checked out using md5sum.

- I installed using sata attached DVD using "purple and orange ports" method listed in this thread

The installation went flawlessly. I partitioned the drive in advance using slax, booted the 10.4.8 reseed, selected and formatted the destination partition and proceeded through the install.

The system hung during its first reboot. I got the prohibited sign (circle w/ line).

I rebooted again with -v and am seeing this:

Failed to load extension com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage

Couldn't alloc class "AppleAHCIDiskDriver"

...you get the idea...

It also showed the Failed to load extension message for several usb and other drivers.

I rebooted via DVD, used Disk Utility to repair perms on the partition and then used a shell to look around in the partitions. None of the files like /System/Library/Externsions.mkext or /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache even exist.

The system has never successfully booted once.

Ideas?

how is your HD connected

Your Sata adapted DVD-rom is no longer working with 10.4.8? Mine is working great, for once.

Linuxjackie: try playing with the bios settings to get 10.4.6 to see your HD, it's all I can really say to do. Oh also try connecting to different ports on the board. I've had trouble with drives being detected if on certain ports.

I using same bios setting both 4.6 and 4.8 .

also ,i tried pruple slot ,and the highest orange slot ,after finished the install ,it got "Still waiting ..........."

O my god ,...i need 4.8 ........