ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

I have random failures on standby... is standby reliable for u?

Sometimes when I try to make to go to sleep, it hangs. A force reboot is nesscerray, other than I have no problems at all.

Edit: Here are the updates kexts.

I have attached a DSDT.aml that will allow you to use VGA and HDMI simultaneously.

I have also attached a new and improved USB kext (remove PXCHD.kext before you install the new one).

Credits goes to EmlyDinesh for the DSDT patch.

Kexts.zip

Hey Guys!

Thanx to nhart12 and everyone for all of these stuff posted in this great thread.

If someone (owner of the newer UX31A model w/Touch Screen) interested, here is the working driver and app for touch to get alive.

Works fine on 10.8.2 for me.

Best regards

BB

I think I have the same UX31a as you do.(with touch screen, win8, 256GB SSD)

Could you tell me what method you use to install mac?

Did you install mac after fully formatting your SSD?

i bought Mountain lion from app store and tried unib3ast, iAtk0s ML3. but both of them didnt work.

booting with flags "-x" didnt work for me.

sorry for my bad English :-(

Hello,

do you guys have any success on booting up using clover bootloader? I follow the instruction in page 13 to make the clover bootloader in a USB. When I boot from the USB, it just continue to reboot after run a few second (the process is it loads the driver first, and then continue down to load Bluetooth.kext, and then restart). Is anyone have any idea how to fix it? It hackintosh work under chameleon bootloader.

Thank you

I have attached a DSDT.aml that will allow you to use VGA and HDMI simultaneously.

I have also attached a new and improved USB kext (remove PXCHD.kext before you install the new one).

Feedback request: Who is running on these new kexts/DSDT?

Been following the forum for sometime. Just picked up a UX32VD-DH71 and want to get rid of 8 and dual boot 7 and 10.8. I saw the tutorial written in the few pages past but since all these new KTexts have come out and figuring out whether to use clover or not causes me confusion. Can someone write a new tutorial with photos if possible on how to get up to 10.8.2 or even a video tutorial would be appreciated? I'm looking for stability, hdmi, wifi, and the keyboard to stay backlit. Dont care about the webcam tbh.

How much faster does the system run native than through a vm ?

So i decided to order a combo AR5B195 AR3011 wifi + bt card and a pair of internal laptop wifi antennas as well which i can easily squeeze inside the laptop. Less than 20$ shipped from ebay. I know signal strength won't be the best but it should be more than enough in most circumstances and will avoid me having to cary a wifi dongle and waste a USB port in the process.

I'll let you guys know how well that works once I install them.

Adi

Because I'm so awesome, I've uploaded my EFI folder, where you should be able to just copy over to the EFI partition of your hard drive and it has the right version of shell.efi for creating the boot option, etc. You need to make sure you don't just use my DSDT, etc., as I don't know if that will work for you. Thus, instead of just using my EFI folder, you can also just take the shell.efi and documentation files as I pointed to above, and use the files from your USB key. In that case, you can just use my folder as an example.

You rock ! I copied the files on my EFI partition and followed this guide in order to add the Boot option in the BIOS : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287737-how-toclover-on-efi-partitionadd-to-bios/

My UX31A booted on the first attempt with no problems.

What doesn't work for me so far is the Fn keys. Do they work for you ? I even modified your included DSDT with the info from EMlyDinEsH's thread but still no go.

What laptop do you have ? Mine is a UX31A with 1.7Ghz i7 CPU.

Thanks,

Adi

Got wifi working well without any permanent changes for <$10.

Buy one of the atheros minipcie boards that work. the antenna connector is too big for the wires in the case. On the replacement board, get a tiny flathead screwdriver, and completely pry off the outer circle of metal from each of the antenna connectors. You'll be left with the little thing in the middle that receives the pin.

If you screw up and totally trash your replacement wifi card, you're only out $10 and still have an unmodified laptop, and can try again for another $10

Now, install that replacement wifi board. you should be able to attach the tiny antenna wires to the headers now, although they won't stay tightly. Tape it well, and i got a small piece of foam that i taped over it to ensure it's extra squeezed into place once i put the case back on.

This has been working fine for me for several weeks, wifi signal is as good as any other devices i've used.

Also, since i have the board with bluetooth and don't need it or want to deal with driver issues, i covered the usb d+ and d- pins on the replacement card with cellophane tape before installing it.

Got wifi working well without any permanent changes for <$10.

Buy one of the atheros minipcie boards that work. the antenna connector is too big for the wires in the case. On the replacement board, get a tiny flathead screwdriver, and completely pry off the outer circle of metal from each of the antenna connectors. You'll be left with the little thing in the middle that receives the pin.

If you screw up and totally trash your replacement wifi card, you're only out $10 and still have an unmodified laptop, and can try again for another $10

Now, install that replacement wifi board. you should be able to attach the tiny antenna wires to the headers now, although they won't stay tightly. Tape it well, and i got a small piece of foam that i taped over it to ensure it's extra squeezed into place once i put the case back on.

This has been working fine for me for several weeks, wifi signal is as good as any other devices i've used.

Also, since i have the board with bluetooth and don't need it or want to deal with driver issues, i covered the usb d+ and d- pins on the replacement card with cellophane tape before installing it.

I just did the exact the same thing today. Wireless reception is much better, although I did damage the card in the process (easily fixable scratch).

Here's a tutorial on how to create a proper USB install drive, http://forum.osxlati...zenbook-ux32vd/

Edit:

I have gotten Ivy Bridge power management, next step is to get proper battery support on 10.8.3

Edit #2:

We now have proper battery support in 10.8.3 .

• Like 1

I just did the exact the same thing today. Wireless reception is much better, although I did damage the card in the process (easily fixable scratch).

Here's a tutorial on how to create a proper USB install drive, http://forum.osxlati...zenbook-ux32vd/

Edit:

I have gotten Ivy Bridge power management, next step is to get proper battery support on 10.8.3

Edit #2:

We now have proper battery support in 10.8.3 .

How did you get those 2 fixes ? I used cyf's EFI folder and sleep was working for me already.

Thanks,

Adi

Hi,

I have made a install USB with MyHack and os x 10.8.3 using http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2284-asus-zenbook-ux32vd/

installation with -x flag is succesful but when i start os x 10.8.3 with -x or -x -v PCIRootUID=0 and/or GraphicsEnabler=No and/or npci=0x3000 it hangs at [PCI Configuration end, bridges 4 devices 13].

can someone help me, i want to run os x 10.8.3

i use the UX32VD zenbook.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for anyone who wants to use the Chameleon bootloader. The latest revisions have fixes for the 3.25GB of RAM issue.

If you want to switch from Clover to Chameleon.

First download the folder (the file name does not have pkg) for Chameleon from here , http://www.osx86.net...2svn-r2233.html). Please note that any Chameleon revision greater than 2233 will have the memory fix.

Next download Chameleon Wizard from here, http://www.insanelym...for-chameleon/.

Also make sure to download my Extra folder, http://www.mediafire...az12j/Extra.zip .

Now let's install Chameleon via Chameleon Wizard.

Extract the Chameleon folder. Now open up Chameleon Wizard, then choose "Folder on disk".

Now choose the folder where you extracted the Chameleon folder. Next, select "Boot0hfs", and choose your target disk. Once you are sure of all the settings are correct, click "Install".

Once you have installed Chameleon, all you have to do is extract my Extra.zip and move my "Extra" folder to / (THE ROOT OF YOUR OSX DRIVE!).

• Like 1

Good news for anyone who wants to use the Chameleon bootloader. The latest revisions have fixes for the 3.25GB of RAM issue.

If you want to switch from Clover to Chameleon.

First download the folder (the file name does not have pkg) for Chameleon from here , http://www.osx86.net...2svn-r2233.html). Please note that any Chameleon revision greater than 2233 will have the memory fix.

Next download Chameleon Wizard from here, http://www.insanelym...for-chameleon/.

Also make sure to download my Extra folder, http://www.mediafire...az12j/Extra.zip .

Now let's install Chameleon via Chameleon Wizard.

Extract the Chameleon folder. Now open up Chameleon Wizard, then choose "Folder on disk".

Now choose the folder where you extracted the Chameleon folder. Next, select "Boot0hfs", and choose your target disk. Once you are sure of all the settings are correct, click "Install".

Once you have installed Chameleon, all you have to do is extract my Extra.zip and move my "Extra" folder to / (THE ROOT OF YOUR OSX DRIVE!).

What are the advantages of using Chameleon over Clover?

1.) Easy installation.

And? ...

Sometimes when I try to make to go to sleep, it hangs. A force reboot is nesscerray, other than I have no problems at all.

Thanks for your kind sharing.

Is this for 10.8.3 with Asus UX31A ?

I have working 10.8.2 with my UX31A (Both internal, HDMI, & VGA ports with HDMI audio too)

But upgraded to 10.8.3 previous HDMI audio was borken and Intel HD 4000 VRAM was also reported as wrong (512 MB instead of 384 MB because there is only 4 GB RAM only).

If I replaced related Intel HD 4000 Graphics kexts with 10.8.2, Both HDMI audio and VRAM are back to normal.

But I will lose Adobe Flash Player function in Firefox (only Sarari is working).

Replaced by your AppleIntelFramebufferCapri (8.0.61 which is the same version from 10.8.2) only fixs my HDMI audio and VRAM size immediately.

But replacing PXCHD.kext with yours seems no fully working for USB 3.0.

No matter I use either PXCHD.kext or yours always show SuperSpeed available in System Information, but any USB 3.0 device pluged only shows HiSpeed only (480 Mb/sec instead of 1.5 Gb/sec for SuperSpeed.

Any suggestion from you ?

I'm pretty new at this, manage to install ML 10.8.3 on UX31A, but when trying to boot into the partition, it hangs on various portions, AppleHDA, BatteryManagement, etc... Tried booting with -x, didn't help. I read from the UX32VD thread that I may need to remove some kext from the installation, but how does one do that when you cannot even boot in?

You need proper IOUSBFamily.kext in /Extra or /System/Library/Extensions to booting. Please use the first post's attached files for your reference.

1.) Easy installation.

And? ...

While I have to agree that Chameleon is easier to configure than Clover, that is also its weakness due to limited functionality. If you are using UEFI (as the Zenbook does) then Clover gives you much faster boot times, the ability to inject kexts from outside the OS to allow easier OS updates, support to multi-boot UEFI OSes, etc.

• Like 1

While I have to agree that Chameleon is easier to configure than Clover, that is also its weakness due to limited functionality. If you are using UEFI (as the Zenbook does) then Clover gives you much faster boot times, the ability to inject kexts from outside the OS to allow easier OS updates, support to multi-boot UEFI OSes, etc.

Yeah... I also thought Clover is the more advanced technology. I'm running Clover with OS X and Win7 multi-boot in GPT/UEFI partitions. And works quite well. It's also easy to backup all the settings in the EFI folder.

Are there any noticeable improvements in newer Clover version? (I'm still running on 1174)

Anything usefull for our Zenbooks? Maybe for IvyBridge PM?

Revision 1242
- there are many improvements in functionality but nothing special to mention
- more correct hardware detecting including CPU and memory
- new key GenerateIvyStates
- advanced scripts

Changelog: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/