ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Hello!

Can you tell the decision to install Windows 7 parallel to the OS X?

I have installed Clover method phelics and i have previous installed windows on soldered iSSD.

Show me any links to howto's where i can see install proces of win7 to already installed clover and OS X.

Thanx to phelics and all of you for great work!

I'm pretty new at this, manage to install ML 10.8.3 on UX31A, but when trying to boot into the partition, it hangs on various portions, AppleHDA, BatteryManagement, etc... Tried booting with -x, didn't help. I read from the UX32VD thread that I may need to remove some kext from the installation, but how does one do that when you cannot even boot in?

Don't be lazy ;). Just do it yourself.

Since your config.plist is MacbookPro8,1 shall I define Sandy when running the script? I ask this because the script complains that the board-id is not supported by Ivy Bridge while running:

./ssdtPRGen.sh i5-3317U

I'm now running for Sandy like this:

./ssdtPRGen.sh i5-3317U 2600 17 0

Let's see if it works!

UPDATE:

Mini-VGA doesn't work. I've now lost HDMI support (after inserting 3 times it worked, and now works flawlessly). I'm using my SSDT.aml (\EFI\ACPI\patched), your latest kext and config.plist (MacbookPro8,1).

Hints are really appreciated.

Edited by ppires
Removed URL.

Btw, If I wake the laptop from sleep (which seems to be working great even with your latest kext) the brightness is beefed up. Do you know why? This is how I want it all the time. Do I need to change configuration in config.plist?

After messing with my HDMI "hack", I found out few more issues.

If HDMI is plugged, the headphone jack will not work. It will continue to not to work until you restart OSX.

When you disconnect your HDMI cable, and OSX freezes, try this:

1. Start up OSX with mini-vga connected

2. After OSX is running, connect your HDMI (you can disconnect the mini-vga)

thank you so much, I tried official driver from asix website many times, I also tried to modify kext by myself, but no luck at all...

with the kext you provided, the asix adaptor now working...

Windows 8

Just a note about Windows 8--I don't know if it's because of the all the random restores, etc., but it seems like a lot of stuff doesn't work with it and it's crashing quite a bit. I may do a "Refresh" operation or just go back to Windows 7. I need something stable to fallback on.

ASIX Adapter

Glad you got yours working. Ahh well, I was able to boot ML into safe mode from the Beast 1.5.3 install I made a long time ago. Reset the BIOS and I don't know if it did anything. Here's the IONertworkingfamilly.kext I "rescued" from it. Hopefully it will help others with the ASIX AX88772B USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Clover

Don't mess with Clover if things are working for you. I have it where the system recognizes the Mac OS X drive, but then it's just sitting there with a blank screen when I boot. This is a completely reformatted Clover USB stick with the DSDT and SSDT's from the first post. Shell doesn't seem to work for me either. It just sits there and I can type commands, but nothing is returned.

Chameleon

Speaking of Chameleon, what options did you select when you installed it? I'm going to put it on the USB stick and replace what I have now so that I can at least boot while I'm trying to get Clover up. Would you mind sending me your DSDT/SSDT, and plist files?

This is what I have in the /E/E folder:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext IOAudioFamily.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext IOUSBFamily.kext

AppleHDA.kext IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext IntelCPUMonitor.kext

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext PXHCD.kext

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext VoodooHDA.kext

FakeSMC.kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Though I used ###### and I think I should have not had it patch anything. Now it randomly gives me KP's before boot:

Heck, maybe send me everything and I'll just create a new Chameleon USB stick.

Still have to learn how to patch DSDTs...

What's the status of the touchpad driver? Anyone can attach any kexts?

Touchpad is perfect... use the 2.1.x ML version here... http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-osx/

and change DPI in info.plist to 800DPI... and also use smoothmouse with very fast settings and acceleration enabled... http://smoothmouse.com/

Well, when I use the photobooth to test the webcam, it is always loading. Is anyone know how to fix this?

Ok I completely redid it, documenting. This is exactly how i proceeded: (mostly based on pippo's howto, UX32VD-R4002H)

Copy all attached files on your unib3ast stick, so you can access them while in safe mode.

- With stick, boot OS X 10.8.2 install, with -x flag.

- Disk utility - Partition your system disk (as many partitions as you wish) with the GUID Table (Mac Part. with Mac OSX Ext Journaled of course)

- Boot Mac OS X with -x flag

- Go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete ONLY Geforce.kext, install attached kexts (by nhart12 and Thomas 21111) with kext wizard, rebuild kext cache

- Install clover v2 r1000 - customize: UEFI boot (UEFI motherboards), Install & start 64bit boot first, Drivers32, Drivers 64, Drivers64UEFI

- Run Diskutil list (look for the identifier for your 209.7 MB EFI Partition on the Disk where OS X is installed, in my case disk0s1)

- sudo newfs_msdos -v Fat32 -F 32 /dev/disk0s1 (to repartition the EFI partition)

- Reboot. Boot OS X in single user mode (-s)

- When files are loaded and you see :/ root# , type sudo nvram -x -p > /nvram.plist returns: -sh: /nvram.plist: Read-only file system

- Type reboot

- Boot OS X (no flags this time)

- Recheck correct EFI identifier: diskutil list (for me disk order changed after reformat)

- Mount your EFI partition: sudo mkdir -p /mnt

sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mnt (again, check for your own identifier!)

- FAT32 should be mounted in finder now. copy the EFI Folder from your system disk (or the disk you chose at clover install) to FAT32 (drag on the finder mount or via terminal, backup replaced files if neccesary)

- Go to the EFI Folder on your FAT32 Mount. Replace Folders ACPI/mini, ACPI/patched, drivers64UEFI and OEM with the folders from my EFI. Replace also config.plist from my EFI.

- When finished, unmount FAT32 (Your EFI Partition) with sudo umount /mnt

- Delete EFI folder from your system partition (or where clover was installed to) to be sure to boot the right partition with EFI folder

- Reboot, go to BIOS, Add New Boot Option:

Name: CLOVER (or whatever)

Filesystem: Choose the EFI Partition of your system Disk (if you're not sure which filesystem to pick, create multiple Boot Options with same parameters but try different filesystems)

Path: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi , Save, Reboot

- Hit Esc at Asus logo, choose Bootoption to boot. (in my case first filesystem in list was the right one)

- in Clover, hit "Boot Mac OS X from …"

Audio, Fn Keys, Standby, Lan Adapter, Battery Meter work, didn't test video out yet.

Files: UX32VD_1.zip, UX32VD_2.zip

I can't guarantee that it works for the UX32A too, give it a try!

The Error occurs, amongst other things, when you delete the requiered AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Always keep a backup of deleted kexts

Anyone luck with Multitouch yet?? (with Elan v4 beta drivers)

Hello, I am successfully install and configure the mountain lion. Thanks. However, I got an issue. When the computer starts without any USB attached. It freezes when the USB is plug in. It doesn't happen when the computer starts with USB attached. It seem like the issue of plug n' play. Is anyone has this issue and how to fix it?

Thank you

Hey Guys!

Thanx to nhart12 and everyone for all of these stuff posted in this great thread.

If someone (owner of the newer UX31A model w/Touch Screen) interested, here is the working driver and app for touch to get alive.

Works fine on 10.8.2 for me.

Best regards

BB

eGalaxTouch_1.19.4506(64Bit).zip

EETI Mac Touch Driver Installation Guide_64Bit.pdf

The webcam is detected as an USB webcam ... There is no need for extra kexts.

Edit:

My RTC is not patched, weird. Glad it works for you!

Well, when I use the photobooth to test the webcam, it is always loading. I have the USB webcam presents in the system report. Is anyone know how to fix this?