Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

Would an ADD2 card (PCI-E) with 2 DVI ports be supported on the GA-965P-DS3 ?

Example:

I have 2 Apple 20" Cinema Displays (Both of which are DVI)

I would like to use an ADD2 card with 2 ports and hope that this will support

both screens at full resolution on this motherboard.

ADD2 Card in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815133002

Any insight on this would help plenty, being that Dual Display support is of highest priority to me.

Cheers

Temp sensors are the last thing on my mind. Getting a running install of ANY os would be nice at this point.

Once osx is running again, it will be tried out. Thanks for the post, my effort is going into proper ich8 support, or atleast a damn DVD-rom properly functioning (rather than stuck in PIO mode).

SABR: goatsecx 10.4.6 dvd refuses to load properly. The installer goes fine, see's the drive, created a partition, and installed to it. It faild to set the drive to active/boot. Fixed that, and got to the point where it should show the dockbar, and just stops. Mouse still responds but otherwise, a whole lot of nothing.

Well, that's what I want to hear! :dev: Then until I try out JaS 10.4.7, I can blame it all on Goatsecx's 10.4.6 DVD :P

Greetings all,

Would an ADD2 card (PCI-E) with 2 DVI ports be supported on the GA-965P-DS3 ?

Example:

I have 2 Apple 20" Cinema Displays (Both of which are DVI)

I would like to use an ADD2 card with 2 ports and hope that this will support

both screens at full resolution on this motherboard.

ADD2 Card in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815133002

Any insight on this would help plenty, being that Dual Display support is of highest priority to me.

Cheers

The card will work - but I doubt it'll work in OSx86. So far, on ATi Radeon graphics cards have been able to fully function with no problems.

Just an idea for some of you having problems, I originally connected a USB external DVD burner up to try to install the OS. That worked, but it didn't see the drives similar to what you guys were having before you figured out the purple port thing.

Then I had the idea of connecting up a USB hard drive and installing OS X to that. Sure enough so far so good, its installing from my usb DVD to my usb hard drive, and its actually moving pretty fast I think.

If I decide to keep things like this, I won't even need a boot selector. I just have to connect the usb drive up and it will boot to OS X, and without it, it should boot to windows XP. I'm sure I'll take a performance hit though running from a usb drive. Total install time is supposed to take about 25 minutes though so that doesn't seem to bad all in all.

Theguy you have a Pentium D or a Conroe?

i think the temp monitor reads ok from Conroes can anyone with conroe test it?

THANKS!

@SABR, you arent ok man, i have Ati Radeon X1600Xt and really works perfectly but we cant use two monitors at the same time.

@SYNTHOLOGY That card could be an amazing discovery, from what i have read it uses the GMA950 so it should work under osx and probably overrdes the VGA output and brings another DVI output, if that thing works as it appears its a reat discovery for INSANELY MAC, if you can get a try on it and keep us informed!!

ARGH!!!

So I left it installing, and it was working GREAT all the way up until the VERY END. It was installing a script for an intel update and locked up. The log shows it crashed.

I moved the drives to connect to the purple connector and switched to ahci. So far so good. The drives are seen and I am about to install again. Hopefully it gets past where it hung before.

Theguy you have a Pentium D or a Conroe?

i think the temp monitor reads ok from Conroes can anyone with conroe test it?

E6300 "Allendale" which is just a 2mb cache Conroe.

Well either I'm doing something wrong or I've got a {censored} chip, I'm still stuck at a 380fsb. I can't figure it out either. It's a wall that I can't get past no matter what, the system just won't POST with anything higher than 380.

@SYNTHOLOGY That card could be an amazing discovery, from what i have read it uses the GMA950 so it should work under osx and probably overrdes the VGA output and brings another DVI output, if that thing works as it appears its a reat discovery for INSANELY MAC, if you can get a try on it and keep us informed!!

Aberracus,

As far as I know, the GA-965P-DS3 does not have a VGA port on it. However, the ADD2 technology is sympathetic to Intel graphics chips and feeds its video drive off it. Its like turning a motherboard without a VGA port, into one that does have onboard video. I have discovered that the ADD2 cards do not transfer DVI to VGA at all. Meaning that a converter is useless, probably explains why allot of other good fellas from the community are not buzzing about it. The ADD2 card does however transfer DVI signal because that's what its for. The majority of the users here seem to have VGA LCDs and CRTs, no DVI. Theoretically, the card should support fine on apple displays, although it won't cut it on hard core 3D experiences, QE and CI should be fine at dual 1680 x 1050. I'll keep everyone informed.

Cheers

@Synthology

just to clarify...the add2 cards will create onboard video slots on a motherboard without onboard video???

i think i misunderstoof, but hopefully not. the reason so is that i ahve dual displays and it would be wonderful to have fully accelerated osx on an intel bad axe (D975XBX) mobo both on dvi.

no, the 975 mobo doesnt have integrated gma950 or gma900 graphics, neither the 965, for this card to work it must have integrated graphics.

Much of the people in the comunity as myself are using LCD screen tru DVI conectors without conversors, and yed the ADD2 card doesnt ouput DVI-I just DVI-D, wich means only digital signal

E6300 "Allendale" which is just a 2mb cache Conroe.

Well either I'm doing something wrong or I've got a {censored} chip, I'm still stuck at a 380fsb. I can't figure it out either. It's a wall that I can't get past no matter what, the system just won't POST with anything higher than 380.

Are are overvolting the MCH 0.1v's? How about your RAM?

I can't get JaS 10.4.7 to even boot from the disk properly. I type -v and it comes up with a panic, just before that, it says:

Unable to find drivers for ACPI platform

How come you guys got it to work properly? I have chosen fail-safe boot options in the BIOS, and still it won't work... ;)

I have been away for some time. I am in the middle of my masters degree. It's good to see the thread still going very strong. This motherboard is becoming a viable option for a hackintosh. Thanks everyone for your hard work. All it takes is a little inquisitive nature!

I have not been able to get my video card to work. I think I am going to switch cards. Seeing that SABR has had luck with the X1800XT is good news.

SABR: Anything you find undesirable about the X1800? Are you running DVI, VGA? Full support for QE/CI? Standard Boris method or Neophus installer?

Also, thanks for updating my original post in my absence. The more users that see this board as a viable option, the more people we will have working on making this board compatible.

I have been away for some time. I am in the middle of my masters degree. It's good to see the thread still going very strong. This motherboard is becoming a viable option for a hackintosh. Thanks everyone for your hard work. All it takes is a little inquisitive nature!

I have not been able to get my video card to work. I think I am going to switch cards. Seeing that SABR has had luck with the X1800XT is good news.

SABR: Anything you find undesirable about the X1800? Are you running DVI, VGA? Full support for QE/CI? Standard Boris method or Neophus installer?

Also, thanks for updating my original post in my absence. The more users that see this board as a viable option, the more people we will have working on making this board compatible.

(SAPPHIRE) X1800XT has full support (QE/CI), with the Neophus Instaler (www.installers.dl.am), using VGA. I am not getting any artifacts. Has been tested on 10.4.4/6, but not 7 (shouldn't be any problems). I highly recommend it, however not sure if DVI will work, as I can't test it... ;)

Hello guys

This is a great thread. I am going also to buy a Gigabyte board but the DS 4 version. This version has integrated Firewire integrate. I think this will work out of box. I will also buy a E6300 (1.86 ghz) Intel CPU. I will post the results asa I have the system.

I have 2 questions.

1- I have will have 2 harddisks. 1 SATA and 1 IDE. And I will have a IDE DVD-rerwiter. So I need 2 convertors right? Newegg doesnt ship to europe though. I heard these things were for sale also on ebay? Anyone knows where exactly ?

2- I am a noob on memory. I have a couple of them here. Suggestions and explanations about choice are welcome. (I would like to overclock the system but I am not willing to invest in heavy water cooling systems).

(170 euro) GSkill

DDR2 G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-1GBHZ 1024 MB Kit, DDR2-800, CL4-4-4-12 (2x 512 MB), HS (Black), Retail

Specification

Capacity 2GB (1GB x 2)

Speed 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400)

CAS Latency CL 4-4-4-12

Test Voltage 2.0~2.1 Volts

PCB 6 Layers PCB

Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered

Error Checking Non-ECC

Type 240-pin DIMM

Warranty Lifetime

(163 euro) OCZ

OCZ EL DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800 MHz / Enhanced Latency / Platinum XTC Edition / Dual Channel

800MHz DDR2

CL 4-5-4-15

(166 euro)

Kingston HyperX Dual Channel 1024 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 4

Kingston HyperX Dual Channel

Description: 1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC Low-Latency CL4 (4-4-4-12) DIMM (Kit of 2)

Detailed Specifications: Standard 64M X 64 Non-ECC 800MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 2.0V, CL4, Gold)

Additional Info: Memory timings are 5-5-5-15.

Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A

Form Factor: Memory Module

Pieces/Unit: 2

Warranty: Lifetime

(166 euro)

Kingston HyperX 1024 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 4

Kingston hyperx

Description: 1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC Low-Latency CL4 (4-4-4-12) DIMM

Detailed Specifications: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 800MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 2.0V, CL4, Gold)

Additional Info: Memory timings are 5-5-5-15.

Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A

Form Factor: Memory Module

Pieces/Unit: 1

Warranty: Lifetime

I just found this website. Maybe someone take a look and suggest the best 3 rams to me.

[email=http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/productListing4C.html?group=manufacturerName&cat1=22&cat2=230&cat3=000&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=Geheugen&Level2=DDR2&]http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/productListing4C.html?group=manufacturerName&cat1=22&cat2=230&cat3=000&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=Geheugen&Level2=DDR2&[/email]

thanks

xerxes

Are are overvolting the MCH 0.1v's? How about your RAM?

I can't get JaS 10.4.7 to even boot from the disk properly. I type -v and it comes up with a panic, just before that, it says:

Unable to find drivers for ACPI platform

How come you guys got it to work properly? I have chosen fail-safe boot options in the BIOS, and still it won't work... :2cents:

I've messed with every voltage setting I could, I've tried clearing the cmos and just jumping straight to a high OC, still no luck.

After talking with a few guys on Xtreme-systems, I've got 1 or 2 other options, and then I'm told it might be my PSU. It's nothing special, and apparently the DS3 is a bit bitchy with PSU's. I'm not hugely worried about it, just disappointed so far that I can "only" get an 800mhz OC (I never thought I'd say that :) )

Try doing "Platform=X86PC", though I run with the acpi one just fine? Or go into the bios and change your ACPI settings. I normally run on S1, but I think it did work atleast once on S3 (not to sure on that).

You try googling the panic codes?

Hello guys

This is a great thread. I am going also to buy a Gigabyte board but the DS 4 version. This version has integrated Firewire integrate. I think this will work out of box. I will also buy a E6300 (1.86 ghz) Intel CPU. I will post the results asa I have the system.

I have 2 questions.

1- I have will have 2 harddisks. 1 SATA and 1 IDE. And I will have a IDE DVD-rerwiter. So I need 2 convertors right? Newegg doesnt ship to europe though. I heard these things were for sale also on ebay? Anyone knows where exactly ?

thanks

xerxes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-to-SATA-Converte...1QQcmdZViewItem

There's one for you. When buying one just make sure it's got the FEMALE IDE connector on it, it'll match the plug on the end of an IDE cable.

Dig around on ebay for a couple, and feel free to PM me the links and I can tell you if they are right.

I got an sapphire x1900gt and it works great using the borisbadenov/neophus installer. I use a dvi to vga converter, no dual monitor support, though I get the same image in two displays. Full QE/CI. JaS 10.4.7 got the installer for ati x1000s in it.

2- I am a noob on memory. I have a couple of them here. Suggestions and explanations about choice are welcome. (I would like to overclock the system but I am not willing to invest in heavy water cooling systems).

Xeres, get the G.Skill RAM. IMO, that is the best out of those 3 you have posted :)

I've messed with every voltage setting I could, I've tried clearing the cmos and just jumping straight to a high OC, still no luck.

After talking with a few guys on Xtreme-systems, I've got 1 or 2 other options, and then I'm told it might be my PSU. It's nothing special, and apparently the DS3 is a bit bitchy with PSU's. I'm not hugely worried about it, just disappointed so far that I can "only" get an 800mhz OC (I never thought I'd say that :blink: )

Try doing "Platform=X86PC", though I run with the acpi one just fine? Or go into the bios and change your ACPI settings. I normally run on S1, but I think it did work atleast once on S3 (not to sure on that).

You try googling the panic codes?

Well, I have tried the "Platform=X86PC" thing. I have also tried setting the ACPI settings to S3. It just doesn't want to work. Also, before it gets past the Darwin Boot Prompt (where it says "Loading 4235053 Mach Kernel" (or whatever number it is)) it comes up with an EBIOS Read Error... I have a feeling it's just a corrupted download, or it didn't burn correctly, but I'm not sure...

I'll try googling the panic codes tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Hi SABR

I think I have found one that is much cheaper but looks better on paper.

(127 euro) Mushkin DDR2 XP2-6400 Dual Channel 1024 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 4

Mushkin

Frequency: 800MHz

Latency: 4-4-3-10

Parity: Unbuffered

Voltage: 1.9V-2.1V

Pins: 240

Module: 64Mx64

Chip: 64Mx8

1- Are these ok ? Not many people use it with Core2Duo on extremesystems. Also I wonder what you guys think about ATI1600Opro 256mb (90 euro) sapphire versus ATI1900Ogt 256mb (200 euro) sapphire. Is the 1900gt really worth the 110 euro ? Or should I invest that in extra 1gb ram? Or should I take the 1900gt now and extend memory later on?

2- Can someone post a step by step guide what they did to install OS X for this system.

try S1 acpi. S1 is my normal setting anyway.

off-topic-ish: what power supply are you using?

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I have the Antec TRUEPOWER 2.0 TPII 550 Watt PSU. It is very stable and powerful as far as I can see. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103931

Hi SABR

(127 euro) Mushkin DDR2 XP2-6400 Dual Channel 1024 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz, 4

Mushkin

1- Are these ok ? Not many people use it with Core2Duo on extremesystems. Also I wonder what you guys think about ATI1600Opro 256mb (90 euro) sapphire versus ATI1900Ogt 256mb (200 euro) sapphire. Is the 1900gt really worth the 110 euro ? Or should I invest that in extra 1gb ram? Or should I take the 1900gt now and extend memory later on?

2- Can someone post a step by step guide what they did to install OS X for this system.

1) Yeah, ok, go with that RAM. I am not sure how good quality mushkin RAM is, and I don't know if you are going to be able to get it to boot with the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. As you probably are aware of, many people have been having problems with RAM modules which require 2.0v + to run. This is because the default RAM voltage setting is set at 1.8v, thus they are underpowered. As far as I can see, you'll be ok with that RAM, as it only needs 1.9v to run, so 1.8v will probably suffice :dev:

2) A step-by-step guide isn't really that important nowadays... It works just like you would install XP. Change your 1st boot device to CDROM, and boot of the OSx86 disc :)

Oh, and 3) If you are only going to want to run OSx86, get the X1600. If you are going to be gaming, with XP, get the X1900 ;)

Any one working on dual monitor by any chance? I noticed something interesting: I have a sapphire x1900gt and OSX only reconizes a monitor in one of the connectors, the other connector just shows the same image with the same settings of the first. It only reconizes the 2nd monitor if I disconect the 1st one but if I have both or switch them the one on the first port is the one that gets always reconized.

Also, is there a way of turning of the message "press any key to continue" after the sata raid port is initialized?

Well guys a made a little howto in the Genius bar/tutorials section for getting this board to work.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry194656

If you've got any additions or corrections please let me know.

Any one working on dual monitor by any chance? I noticed something interesting: I have a sapphire x1900gt and OSX only reconizes a monitor in one of the connectors, the other connector just shows the same image with the same settings of the first. It only reconizes the 2nd monitor if I disconect the 1st one but if I have both or switch them the one on the first port is the one that gets always reconized.

Probably in other threads, this thread is more about getting the board itself to work, even if it does go a little OT.

Also, is there a way of turning of the message "press any key to continue" after the sata raid port is initialized?

Nope, just gotta put up with the extra wait (it does continues to boot after a few seconds).

I'm installing Jas 10.4.7. on DS3. I put HDD on purple SATA controller, use DVD through USB, selected AHCI in BIOS. But installation takes a LONG time (it's installing right now) - it says about 2 hours. But most people say it takes about 25min for them. Anyone has an idea what's going on? Is it possible that USB is working on 1.1 instead on 2.0?