Fermi 5XX works with Lion DP4/GM!

T.B.B.

314 posts in this topic

Pas de problème...anyways, I would say that one way to check about your card is if you go under launchpad (even though it is laggy) hold down the option (alt) key to see if the icons wiggle. If they do, you should have Quartz Extreme (QE) and not sure about Core Image (CI) but another way to test both is if you disable dashboard in its own space (in the preferences for Mission Control) then see if adding another widget gives you ripples. One other thing is does your card seem to lag and then catch up? I have some problems but it seems as though if I leave the computer running for a bit (not trying to open a bunch of intensive things on startup) then they move pretty smoothly.

Also, if you have Time Machine setup (or if you can set it up) how does opening that work? For me it can lag and then my card's fan will come on and keep running on high even after the transition finishes. You should also check performance when switching between fullscreen apps and going from windows mode to fullscreen.

These tests are all fairly simple to run, but if others suggest it you may need to try to use a benchmark software. Personally I am using my computer for basic things so I am not looking to hit high marks, just so that it is usable with minimal lag (even the MacBook Airs I have tried in the store lag during some of Lion's transitions).

Bonne chance!

I've resolved my problem! Now I've got the ALC889 one... And it seems a lot more complicated... But that's another story!

Thank you man!

New Chimera 1.5.4 fixes detection of the ASUS GTX570 DCII

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/09/chi...cetime-fix.html

Note:

remove

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

Otherwise wont boot properly.

Edit: Having problems, vlc etc wont play properly, with and without a graphics mode string.....

Edit: Only way I can get graphics working properly is with -v

Weird

Thanks T.B.B for the guide, I have my EVGA gtx 560ti working on my system, without any slow downs or stuttering. I did notice that it did produce a lot of heat based on the agpm info.plst provided. I read another post on this site and adjusted it slightly and now provides better power management. The link provides some ideas. :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266036

New Chimera 1.5.4 fixes detection of the ASUS GTX570 DCII

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/09/chi...cetime-fix.html

Note:

remove

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

Otherwise wont boot properly.

Edit: Having problems, vlc etc wont play properly, with and without a graphics mode string.....

Edit: Only way I can get graphics working properly is with -v

Weird

Same thing is happening for me too. With Chimera I could boot with Graphics Mode and now I only get it with -v working. Without it you lose 3D Support ;)

So unrelated to the new update, I wanted to ask for help in fixing a real pet-peeve of mine. When I boot up the bootloader shows up as a I want it to, but whenever I choose my Lion partition, and the boot logo shows up, the resolution is off so that the apple logo is stretched a bit. I have read that it is a part of the kernel so this cannot be cosmetically adjusted.

As most people would respond I have already tried to change the (now renamed) "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" file so that it reads "Graphics Mode" as "1680x1050x32" (the native resolution of my monitor). Alas, the boot logo is still a little stretched as well as the spinner. But what's even weirder is that when I shut down and the spinner comes back on, it is the right size and resolution...could there be something not loading at startup that is preventing this from happening? Also, there should be some sort of fade-in into the login screen but in my case the screen starts at the boot logo (wrong resolution), then flashes to a black screen, and then it comes up with the login screen in the correct resolution.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Please help to start up my GTX 580.

My steps:

1. Compile and install custom dsdt. DSDT compiled from this file. System was started with low resolution (1024x768).

2. I was add "0x108010de&0xffc0ffff" in plist in NVDAGF100Hal.kext.

<string>
0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff
0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff
0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff
0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff
0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff
0x104010de&0xffc0ffff
0x124010de&0xffc0ffff
0x108010de&0xffc0ffff
</string>

3. Insert sections "GraphicsEnabler" and "Graphics Mode" in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Listing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>EnableC2State</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EnableC3State</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EnableC4State</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GUI</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 DSDT=/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

4. Install ATY_Init.kext and CUDA Drivers from this post.

5. Tried 3 variants:

• Change SMproductname in /Extra/smbios.plist to MacPro4,1., then change "Vendor10deDevice05e2" to "Vendor10deDevice1080" in S/L/E/AGPM.kext As Result - black screen and cycle of reboot.
  • restore value to MacPro 3,1 in /Extra/smbios.plist. Change (rename) section MacPro4,1 to MacPro3,1 in AGPM.kext. Result: as early, cycle of reboot.
  • remove AGPM.kext. Result: normal resolution (1920x1080), but can not test openGL, because testing apps freeze the system.

Log:

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x20 = PBDMA Error

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 0000006e

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00100000 0000902d 00000000 00000000

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00000000 00000220 200406c0 00000011

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00000000 00000000 00000000

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00000000 0000000c

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 0000006e

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00100000 0000902d 00000000 00000000

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00000000 00000220 200406c0 00000011

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00000000 00000000 00000000

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: 00000000 0000000c

14.09.11 3:17:13,000 kernel: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

Please tell me what else I can try.

Thanks T.B.B for the guide, I have my EVGA gtx 560ti working on my system, without any slow downs or stuttering. I did notice that it did produce a lot of heat based on the agpm info.plst provided. I read another post on this site and adjusted it slightly and now provides better power management. The link provides some ideas. :blink:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266036

What settings did you use?

@AdobeEditor

I've got the same issue, what appears to be happening is the screen resolution can't get above 1600x1200 during boot loader. Once the operating system has loaded the drivers, then it goes into the full 1920x1200.

I don't know if this is a bios limitation or a card limitation. From what I've read on a linux forum (similar topic), I don't think full/native resolution is supported by nvidia's framebuffer without jumping through a few hoops.

And some further reading on linux forums suggests it's card bios limitation.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=...ios&mpage=2

@AdobeEditor

I've got the same issue, what appears to be happening is the screen resolution can't get above 1600x1200 during boot loader. Once the operating system has loaded the drivers, then it goes into the full 1920x1200.

I don't know if this is a bios limitation or a card limitation. From what I've read on a linux forum (similar topic), I don't think full/native resolution is supported by nvidia's framebuffer without jumping through a few hoops.

And some further reading on linux forums suggests it's card bios limitation.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=...ios&mpage=2

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I figured it might have been a limitation that was already there.

One other quick question...have you been able to configure your system so that the 560Ti's fan isn't so loud? I know that has to do with the power management but I feel like it can perform without that fan having to come on...it only comes on full speed from total silence whenever the system kinda lags during a transition.

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. I figured it might have been a limitation that was already there.

One other quick question...have you been able to configure your system so that the 560Ti's fan isn't so loud? I know that has to do with the power management but I feel like it can perform without that fan having to come on...it only comes on full speed from total silence whenever the system kinda lags during a transition.

Yes, basically setting the zero power state to a smaller range so it doesn't get invoked as often while browsing and creating larger ranges from the two intermediate states 1 and 2. Keeping 3 at minimal 98 to 100.

I just performed an experiment, a short one, to see if power state zero would be invoked when I used multitouch page forward and back in safari. Before I did this change I would always be in power state zero when I flipped back or forward a page with the magic mouse. With these modest active state range settings, I can flip between pages, launchpad transitions, mission ctrl, and such and stays in power state 2 the whole time.

High

0: 25

1: 40

2: 60

3: 100

Low

0: 0

1: 75

2: 90

3: 98

Try these settings out

-Camoguy

By the way, what software are you using in the screenshot? I have CUDA installed but this interface looks like a benchmark or testing software...

Its CUDA-Z for Mac - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuda-z/files/cuda-z/Beta/

Is there any way to get Temprature and GPU usage sensors working in Mac?

On most of the apps my system is working fine..

But recently I downloaded http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rail-maze/id451424521?mt=12

A very tiny free game, ran it for while and my GPU started steaming. Seems like fan control is absent in Mac drivers.

Is there any way I can get it to work?

What settings did you use?

Sorry for the Delay

I use these values in the info.plist

<key>Threshold_High</key>

<array>

<integer>70</integer>

<integer>78</integer>

<integer>87</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>70</integer>

<integer>80</integer>

<integer>85</integer>

</array>

I don't if these are logical, as it is bit beyond me but they seem to work. The state changes in the console but they tend to jump to 1 and 2 rather quickly from state 3. I tried a value lower than 70 but the screen would act up with some freezing.

Hi all,

Awesome guide!

I've managed to have my 570GTX shine following your tutorial. At first, it did not seem to work as my system properties showed always a device ID of 1086 instead of 1081. I was stuck there for quite some time now. I then tried to change everything to 1086 (to see what I get). So I modified NVDAGF100Hal.kext and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to this new ID. I rebooted and there it was! Full OpenGL acceleration and CUDA and everything else.

Now...

- Why my system properties still show my GPU as "Unknown 1280MB"? It bothers me.

- Full screen effects like Lauchpad appearing or iCal's turning pages do not play smooth immediately. But if I keep clicking it, they speed up quite a lot. (from ~2-3fps to maybe 30) Can this be tweaked?

- I can't get my other monitor to work. When I power it up, the first one goes black too and I have to hard reboot to get it back. It is very important to me to use them both, can you help?

Thank you ^^

I was able to make my GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS work, but my Cinebench result is pathetic!!! I only got 7.5 fps!!!

What is the best way to fix it?

UPDATE:

I added my device ID (1200) to the AGPM (info.plist), it improved a little bit, now I get 16.5 fps. But I think still very low..

What else can I do?

Thanks!

I was able to make my GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS work, but my Cinebench result is pathetic!!! I only got 7.5 fps!!!

What is the best way to fix it?

UPDATE:

I added my device ID (1200) to the AGPM (info.plist), it improved a little bit, now I get 16.5 fps. But I think still very low..

What else can I do?

Thanks!

There's a couple good threads to follow for that.

I recommend http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263644 by me and

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...36&hl=fermi by Jorden2Delta

Using these Thresholds:

High

Low

And I am getting only 17 fps in Cinebench, Camoguy what are your current thresholds that give you 35fps?

35 point something, not bad for unoptimized drivers. I mean this hardware isn't even in any mac.

Is it possible to get 525m working on laptop using this method? Currently I have intel HD graphics enabled and nvidia GPU is detected as 0mb display device! however, while booting each time I get a msg saying "NVDAGF100.kext loaded and registered" successfully and some other msgs like "failed to load geforce driver" because of some dependencies.

Optimus is not possible I know, I just want to somehow enable nvidia GPU as 2nd GPU device.

High

Low

Try these settings out

Thanks! These settings seem to work really well for me. I will post any benchmark results when I have time to run some testing...maybe this weekend.

Its CUDA-Z for Mac - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuda-z/files/cuda-z/Beta/

Is there any way to get Temprature and GPU usage sensors working in Mac?

On most of the apps my system is working fine..

But recently I downloaded http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rail-maze/id451424521?mt=12

A very tiny free game, ran it for while and my GPU started steaming. Seems like fan control is absent in Mac drivers.

Is there any way I can get it to work?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Thanks for the link to the CUDA-Z software. Not sure about the temp and sensors working though, maybe someone else on the forum has the answer.

Guys, it's been sometime I've been trying OS X Lion with 560Ti and I still get the same frustrations. Switching to full screen with any app, opening videos at YouTube, I mean, doing anything that requires the video card to work more, will freeze the system for a couple of seconds. Ok, I can live with it because most of the things work. Like, I can play Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Quake 4 with no lags. The only game that didn't work was The Sims 3 in which I only got a black screen (though the sound was playing as if the game was running, just not outputting video).

Now, I ask you: are you having any similar issues with other 5xx cards? Does your screen freeze at times and after a few seconds go back to normal?

In addition, I've noticed the system doesn't want to load AGPM.kext! Yes, probably many of you JUST THINK it's making any difference in power management while it actually ISN'T! Go to About this Mac.. "Relatório do Sistema" and check under software the list of loaded kexts. It's unlikely that AGPM will be loaded there!

I can't get my system to sleep either. No matter what I do, sleepenabler, HPET, RTC, TMR patches to DSDT, nothing will allow me to use vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without kernel panic and sleep.

That's it guys!

And, I got some news! Apple has an improved driver for 5xx cards on 10.7.2 beta update. I managed to increase my Cinebench score quite a bit after the update!

I hope to have some reply on this.

Guys, it's been sometime I've been trying OS X Lion with 560Ti and I still get the same frustrations. Switching to full screen with any app, opening videos at YouTube, I mean, doing anything that requires the video card to work more, will freeze the system for a couple of seconds. Ok, I can live with it because most of the things work. Like, I can play Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Quake 4 with no lags. The only game that didn't work was The Sims 3 in which I only got a black screen (though the sound was playing as if the game was running, just not outputting video).

Now, I ask you: are you having any similar issues with other 5xx cards? Does your screen freeze at times and after a few seconds go back to normal?

In addition, I've noticed the system doesn't want to load AGPM.kext! Yes, probably many of you JUST THINK it's making any difference in power management while it actually ISN'T! Go to About this Mac.. "Relatório do Sistema" and check under software the list of loaded kexts. It's unlikely that AGPM will be loaded there!

I can't get my system to sleep either. No matter what I do, sleepenabler, HPET, RTC, TMR patches to DSDT, nothing will allow me to use vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without kernel panic and sleep.

That's it guys!

And, I got some news! Apple has an improved driver for 5xx cards on 10.7.2 beta update. I managed to increase my Cinebench score quite a bit after the update!

I hope to have some reply on this.

Whats your system, whats your install method. Post your dsdt, smbios, etc...