Fermi 5XX works with Lion DP4/GM!

T.B.B.

314 posts in this topic

Hi, i installed LION following this guide.

I have an ASUS 560 ti.

GA-p55a-ud3p

i5 750 3.4Ghz

8gb ram

My current LION resolution is 1920x1080, so resolution is right.. But my main problem is that, the interface of the OS runs a little SLOW.

For instance, if i execute a 1080p flash in youtube, it runs slow.

If i move/minimize the windows (i think) they are also slow, if i change between firefox web-tabs also the same problem.

Starcraft 2 last patch running at 15 fps (menu in 1920x1080).

Is there a way to fix this?

Ah, 2 more things..

1) Im kinda a newbie in mac, installed snow leopard last year (ati 4870) now coming back with 560 ti.

2) If i go to my system description, i see UNKNOWN model in my nvidia card.

2)

anyone had any luck with a 570, asus p8p67 deluxe mobo (does the mobo even matter in this situation?), and lion?

i got it to work at full resolution with CUDA (i installed it, so i think CUDA was working >_>) friday (but that was from a SL>lion install defined as a mac pro 1,3 rather than a clean lion install like all of my other attempts). dvd player (the app) worked and looked fine, internet browsing worked, but i didn't try any games. however, i did something to make it KP every time i tried to boot back into it (not really sure what i did...). so i did a clean install following toosixy's guide and got lion working again. however, i've tried to get the 570 working again and i just can't seem to do it :-/.

i've followed this guide multiple times but have not gotten it to work yet. each time (i've done a few clean lion installs now :( ), after i add the 1081 line to NVDAGF100Hal.kext's info.plist and restart (immediately or after doing other things before restarting, it doesn't matter), i can get to the apple boot logo then the screen goes black for a few seconds and i see a beautiful, full screen, 1080p kernel panic :rolleyes: . so what i end up having to do is boot with the PCIRootUID=1 flag to get back in without a KP (which has it in 1024x768 only).

like i said, regardless of what i do after adding that line in the info.plist (it seems), i cannot get it to work. i've tried doing everything before rebooting (the whole post on insanelymac), i've tried doing step-by-step according to some of your guys' posts, i've tried doing it one step at a time (restarting in between each step), and i've tried only doing parts of the guide... nothing works :(

i suspected that having my system definition as an iMac (as toosixy's guide has you do) was a problem, but i just did a clean install with a mac pro 1,3 definition, and it still doesn't work.

also, i have two 570s installed atm, but i don't think that's the problem since i got it working the first time...

so right now (on my latest attempt), i have changed the info.plist line, copied ATY_Init (which does go in /System/Library/Extensions, right?), and installed CUDA. again, have to use PCIRootUID=1 to boot without a KP (only 1024x768 is supported when i do this).

--EDIT--

so i read in a few places that you had to have the arch as i386 rather than x86_64, so i went ahead and changed that in com.apple.boot.plist thinking that was perhaps the problem. well... now i get KPs no matter what xD doesn't even get past the apple logo. so i think i'm gonna have to clean install again :rolleyes: .

despite my outcome, could that have been a problem?

also, does the system definition really matter?

@apple pie: did you also install an enabler?

@gigazord: which booter are you using? I'm using chameleon and with this you can disable graphics mode under system setting. (you don't have to do it manually anymore)

@theesbastian: did you rebuild everything? (kexts) you can also try to enable the boater's graphics enabler and the ATY-Init to see if either one works. (its that what i did first) don't forget to rebuild and cache.

@Sizukhan: try to use the tool to install the kexts (described in the first thread). Also REBUILD kexts and cache with the tool.

@gigazord: which booter are you using? I'm using chameleon and with this you can disable graphics mode under system setting. (you don't have to do it manually anymore)

@theesbastian: did you rebuild everything? (kexts) you can also try to enable the boater's graphics enabler and the ATY-Init to see if either one works. (its that what i did first) don't forget to rebuild and cache.

@Sizukhan: try to use the tool to install the kexts (described in the first thread). Also REBUILD kexts and cache with the tool.

I'm using Chameleon via Chimera ... is this a setting in System Preferences or do you set it in the boot loader loading menu?

Yes, i used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] system tools (Cache and Permissions). (But sometimes says that there Nvidia kext is corrupted, after editing and adding the nvidia 1200 string).

Also tried Kext Editor. I tried both options because i'm not very expert.

Maybe the problem is not gpu-related? another kext problem or something? If i change between browser tabs in firefox i saw a low performance.

I think 570's are giving people a hard time. Im going crazy. i've tried everything except certain system profiles because i get a KP about HDA GFX or something.

If anybody has a fully working 570, which i know a few DO! i'd be super grateful if they could upload their whole S/L/E folder and Extra folder too. I want to compare a few things. This is killing me!

:)

i have been. in the past, i've just been copy/pasting the kexts to the appropriate folders and rebuilt/repaired with System Utilities from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but, just in case, i tried installing them with Kext Helper b7 (included with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) then rebuilding/repairing with it. Kext Helper said it had finished, but i did have to force quit it in order for it to quit.

still have the same result -- 1024x768 apple logo for a few seconds, black screen for a few seconds, full screen (1920x1080) kernel panic with no text in the background, just the grey screen and restart prompt. again, the only way to boot without a KP is PCIRootUID=1 and/or GraphicsEnabler=No which still results in a 1024x768 resolution.

i am still completely stumped as to what i am doing wrong.

Well OK, I fried my system with the beta Chameleon boot loader and had to reinstall everything ... now the Graphics Mode hack works. Go figure. Maybe deleting the Extra folder and re-running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] did the trick or something.

Has anyone figured out anything to get a "normal" boot screen instead of the Apple logo in the corner?

Also ...

@TBB - which Chameleon installer were you using to get the PreferencesPane? The beta RC5 fried my comp, and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/Chimera uses RC5 anyway. I found Rekursor's prefpane but I think it just edits com.apple.boot.plist

@Jamzmar - have you edited/deleted AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext? It also helps to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, my CPU score in Cinebench doubled after doing this, and the OpenGL test is apparently very CPU dependent.

I just set GraphicsEnabler=No, removed my custom GFX EFI string, installed ATY_Init.kext, and rebuilt caches.

Still boots in full 1920x1200 with proper VRAM of 1024 MB recognized. The only difference I notice now is that it doesn't say nVidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti in system profiler, it says NVIDIA Graphics Card, I know this is only cosmetic and the only reason it said nVidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti before is because of the custom EFI string I was using.

I'm using Chimera 1.4.1 and I wonder if the reason why GraphicsEnabler=Yes didn't work without an EFI string is because of a bug? (highly unlikely)

I'm tempted to try Chameleon+GraphicsEnabler=Yes without an EFI string or ATY_Init.kext, it seems like more people here are using Chameleon than Chimera. The option to install Chameleon has been removed from the latest MultiBest (3.8.0). :)

It seems like some cards are just picky about their proper VRAM being recognized and will need either GraphicsEnabler=Yes and a custom EFI string or GraphicsEnabler=No and ATY_Init.kext.

To everyone stuck at 1024x768: The key to getting full resolution support and not booting up in 1024x768 mode is getting all your VRAM recognized!

To everyone stuck at 1024x768: The key to getting full resolution support and not booting up in 1024x768 mode is getting all your VRAM recognized!

well how do we do that?

so far all of my attempts have resulted in me gently facepalming in disappointment and starting over to try again. ;)

I installed a new clean install Lion.

After that i installed chimera with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the dsdt.

I deleted my "com.apple.boot.plist" file and rebuilt cache.

Now i see 560 ti 1024 MB as a recognized video card. (In my other snow leopard installation i have an unidentified video card with 1920x1080 with the com.apple.boot.plist)

BUT, i'm in 1024x768.

Any ideas?

I installed a new clean install Lion.

After that i installed chimera with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the dsdt.

I deleted my "com.apple.boot.plist" file and rebuilt cache.

Now i see 560 ti 1024 MB as a recognized video card. (In my other snow leopard installation i have an unidentified video card with 1920x1080 with the com.apple.boot.plist)

BUT, i'm in 1024x768.

Any ideas?

Maybe try the non-dsdt method? *shrugs*

well how do we do that?

so far all of my attempts have resulted in me gently facepalming in disappointment and starting over to try again. ;)

Have you tired using a custom EFI string?

I had to use a custom EFI string to get Chimera 1.4.1 to boot in full resolution (1920x1200) and recognize all 1024 MB VRAM with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Have you tired using a custom EFI string?

I had to use a custom EFI string to get Chimera 1.4.1 to boot in full resolution (1920x1200) and recognize all 1024 MB VRAM with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

How does one use a custom EFI string? and would it help to get full support QE/Cl? because my VRAM is read correctly and it knows "Nvidia Graphics" but it will not give me QE/Cl or smooth expose anything. I've seen others system profile it knows the exact card, i can't seem to make my hackintosh understand!!

How does one use a custom EFI string? and would it help to get full support QE/Cl? because my VRAM is read correctly and it knows "Nvidia Graphics" but it will not give me QE/Cl or smooth expose anything. I've seen others system profile it knows the exact card, i can't seem to make my hackintosh understand!!

I GOT IT! full 1080p resolution! adding the EFI string seems to have done the trick! however, System Profiler says my card's vram is 0MB?

AnyColourYouLike, here's what i did:

-download OSx86Tools

-once open, click on "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag"

-click the "GFX Strings" tab on the top left

-choose "Custom Card" (or "Custom GeForce", i can't remember exactly) at the bottom of the "Graphics Card" drop down

-name your card (i think this is only for display sake, but i'm quite the noob, so i very well could be wrong). i named mine "nVidia GeForce GTX 570"

-enter the amount of vram the card has in hex (choose "Custom" at the bottom of the list). mine's got 1280MB (as i believe yours does too), so i entered "0x00000500"

-choose your display output config (wasn't too sure about this one. i connect with dual DVI, so i assumed DVI-I/DVI-I was what i wanted :wacko:)

-click "Import String to Boot Editor" up at the top of the window

here's where things got a little weird for me. watching EFI GFX strings videos, they had you click "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist", but when i did that, it gave me an error saying something like "Cannot find item 'Kernel' in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration." (it was either kernel or kernel flag) so i opened said file in TextEdit, added:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string></string>

just to make it happy (cuz now it couldn't say it wasn't in the file ;)). but then when i went to apply, it gave me another error "Can't make '0' into type boolean. (-1700)" so i just went ahead and copied the hex from the bottom of the window and pasted it into the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra under everything else that was already in there.

i don't know whether editing the EFI string is supposed to be in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration or the one in /Extra, so i copied the one i had just saved in /Extra and pasted it over the one in L/P/SC (so they're both the same now).

-rebuilt/repaired kexts with "System Utilities" from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

-restarted

-profit!

i'm about to install the CUDA driver, so hopefully that won't break anything *crosses fingers*. in the mean time, if anyone can clarify/fill in the blanks for the method i just described (what with me being a noob and such :)), that would be great!

also, some questions:

-every time i click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" in OSx86Tools now, i get the "Can't make '0' into type boolean. (-1700)". did i do something wrong? can i fix that?

-my System Information says my card has 0MB vram. is that hurting anything? can i fix it?

-i have two 570s installed. right now, it sees both (i think), but it's not listing any info for the second card. is there a reason for that? is SLI not supported yet?

again, noob here, so any kind of answers would be much appreciated!

i've attached my com.apple.Boot.plist as a .txt (wouldn't let me upload a .plist).

post-840445-1311643757_thumb.png

post-840445-1311643772_thumb.png

com.apple.Boot.txt

• Like 1

Maybe try the non-dsdt method? *shrugs*

Sorry i never tried the non-dsdt method.

Now choosing that method ("[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]") i think i resolved most of my "non-smooth" problem!

Currently i'm using 1920x1080 graphicsenabler=Yes. Do I need to find a way to use graphicsenabler=No? Or i can just leave it at "Yes"?

take a look at my system profile.. Its while using ATY_init.

Notice the device id???

Something weird about my card or something lol :wacko:

HALP!

that is weird... does it not work without ATY_init.kext?

also, installed CUDA and enabled OpenCL. i'm a little scared to get rid of applegraphicspowermanagement.kext though >_>

-name your card (i think this is only for display sake, but i'm quite the noob, so i very well could be wrong). i named mine "nVidia GeForce GTX 570"

Yes Sizukhan, the name you use when making the EFI string isn't important, it's just cosmetic. What is important is setting the correct VRAM, output configuration combination (DVI-I ports), and PCI information (OSx86 Tools does this part automatically).

here's where things got a little weird for me. watching EFI GFX strings videos, they had you click "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist", but when i did that, it gave me an error saying something like "Cannot find item 'Kernel' in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration." (it was either kernel or kernel flag) so i opened said file in TextEdit, added:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string></string>

just to make it happy (cuz now it couldn't say it wasn't in the file :P). but then when i went to apply, it gave me another error "Can't make '0' into type boolean. (-1700)" so i just went ahead and copied the hex from the bottom of the window and pasted it into the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra under everything else that was already in there.

i don't know whether editing the EFI string is supposed to be in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration or the one in /Extra, so i copied the one i had just saved in /Extra and pasted it over the one in L/P/SC (so they're both the same now).

Copy and paste the hex string (long string of numbers) to the com.apple.Boot.plist in your Extra folder. The hex string goes under the device-properties key. (see attached screenshot)

post-470083-1311644518_thumb.jpg

If you don't have a device-properties key in your Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, make one (Command+K in Pref Setter).

If you don't have Pref Setter, download it. :wacko: (It's a must have IMO)

www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html

My question to everyone is: What are the pros/cons (if any) to the following configurations?

Configuration 1:

Chimera 1.4.1

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Custom EFI string

Configuration 2:

Chimera 1.4.1

GraphicsEnabler=No

ATY_Init.kext

The only con I've come across so far with Configuration 2 is that NVIDIA Graphics Card is listed in my system profiler instead of the proper name which Configuration 1 does (purely cosmetic).

Either work for me along with OpenGL 2.1, OpenCL, and CUDA.

• Like 1

so i got a wild hair and booted with flag "npci=0x2000" had no idea what it meant or did, just noticed it somewhere. Well its the only thing thus far to give me a smooth experience. i.e. launchpad iTunes visuals work... Anyone know what that means?

and do people really have it detect their cards full name WITHOUT a EFI String added?

Also why does my device id differ in system info from the edit i did to the next?

570 = 1081

mine says 1086???

also why does my Rom Revison say netkas.org

so i got a wild hair and booted with flag "npci=0x2000" had no idea what it meant or did, just noticed it somewhere. Well its the only thing thus far to give me a smooth experience. i.e. launchpad iTunes visuals work... Anyone know what that means?

and do people really have it detect their cards full name WITHOUT a EFI String added?

Also why does my device id differ in system info from the edit i did to the next?

570 = 1081

mine says 1086???

ATY_Init.kext was made by netkas, he rules.

570 = 1081

mine says 1086???

i had tried "npci=0x2000" a few times, but it never did anything for me. i got to thinking that it only helped with the 560Ti cards (i only saw it mentioned by people with those), but i guess not!

i'm sure you've double and triple checked this, but you added this line in NVDAGF100Hal.kext's info.plist:

0x108110de&0xffe0ffff

instead of just "1081" or something, right?