[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

Hi,

I put the install directory on the desktop and InstallESD.dmg on the desktop too.

In the terminal : I type : cd Desktop

and type : install/mkboot /Volumes/Lion/

then I get this error : /Application/Install Mac OS X Lion.app: No such file

How to fix it

Hi,

I put the install directory on the desktop and InstallESD.dmg on the desktop too.

How to fix it

From what I Know, the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to be in the applications folder.

Rerun finalize. It should work.

hi,

after rerun nothing changed...no sound...

i reinstall lion...sound works...after update sounds works after the second reboot no sound...:)

before the update i made a backup, but now no refinalize and no replace of the AppleHDA ( with changing rights) worked...

suggestions?

I'm having trouble installing this. I did it once to try it out then erased everything to store some files and now I can't do it again.

I keep getting install failed. I can't figure out what I am doing differently. From the log:

Sep 22 14:00:33 localhost OSInstaller[346]: PFPackage::packageWithURL - can't instantiate package: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg
Sep 22 14:00:33 localhost OSInstaller[346]: Error opening package "OSInstall.mpkg".
Sep 22 14:00:34 localhost OSInstaller[346]: Starting installation:

Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.349 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] Looking for system packages
Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.355 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] no system packages found
Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.355 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] No or Invalid system receipts found on /Volumes/LionHD1/Recovered Items
Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.355 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] Attempting fallback using: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Resources/FallbackSystemFiles.plist
Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.474 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] Finding system files...
Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.697 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] Writing system path cache.
Sep 22 14:00:40 localhost Unknown[330]: 2011-09-22 14:00:40.701 Mac OS X Installer[346:d28b] FSF cache NOT written: /Volumes/LionHD1/Recovered Items/Library/Caches/com.apple.FindSystemFiles.plist

Sep 22 14:02:35 localhost OSInstaller[346]: PackageKit: Got copier error 2 extracting to path ./System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/twisted/mail/test/test_imap.pyc: Read-only file system
Sep 22 14:02:35 localhost Unknown[330]: /SourceCache/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-37/Common/DataPool.c:135: Error: finished pool without filling it
Sep 22 14:02:35 localhost Unknown[330]: /SourceCache/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-37/Common/commonUtils.c:360: Error: fh_pread -1
Sep 22 14:02:35 localhost Unknown[330]: /SourceCache/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-37/Common/StreamCompressor.c:294: Error: pread failed for /Volumes/LionHD1/.OSInstallSandbox-tmp/Root//System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/twisted/mail/test/test_imap.pyc: Invalid argument
Sep 22 14:02:35 localhost Unknown[330]: /SourceCache/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-37/Common/StreamCompressor.c:928: Error: returning errno 22 from FinishStreamCompressorQueue
Sep 22 14:03:10 localhost OSInstaller[346]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “BSD.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fef072cb630 {NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while extracting files from the package “BSD.pkg”., NSFilePath=/Volumes/LionHD1/.OSInstallSandbox-tmp/Root, NSURL=BSD.pkg -- file://localhost/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.BSD, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fef072c5ca0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. FinishStreamCompressorQueue error"} {
    NSFilePath = "/Volumes/LionHD1/.OSInstallSandbox-tmp/Root";
    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cBSD.pkg\U201d.";
    NSURL = "BSD.pkg -- file://localhost/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg";
    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=BOMCopierFatalError Code=1 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. FinishStreamCompressorQueue error\" UserInfo=0x7fef072c9ac0 {NSLocalizedFailureReason=FinishStreamCompressorQueue error, offset=2087071, type=BOMCopierFatalError, sourcePath=/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg, destinationPath=/Volumes/LionHD1/.OSInstallSandbox-tmp/Root}";
    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.BSD";
}
Sep 22 14:03:10 localhost OSInstaller[346]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “BSD.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fef072cb630 {NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while extracting files from the package “BSD.pkg”., NSFilePath=/Volumes/LionHD1/.OSInstallSandbox-tmp/Root, NSURL=BSD.pkg -- file://localhost/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.BSD, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fef072c5ca0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. FinishStreamCompressorQueue error"}
Sep 22 14:03:11 localhost OSInstaller[346]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Sep 22 14:03:12 localhost OSInstaller[346]: No system on disk LionHD1 to revert bless
Sep 22 14:03:12 localhost OSInstaller[346]: Unable to revert bless to target or imgsrc.

Hi,

How to fix it

Don't put InstallESD.dmg on the desktop. Inside the mkboot script it looks for a file called Install Mac OS X Lion.app in /Applications. That file has to be named Install Mac OS X Lion.app exactly. It it isn't named that then rename it. It then looks for a file within that app called InstallESD.dmg at Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport. If your InstallESD.dmg isn't at that location, open mkboot (in the install folder you downloaded) with TexEdit and change the line IN_APP_DMG='Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg' to the location of your InstallESD.dmg within the app (such as IN_APP_DMG='InstallESD.dmg')

Edit: How do I fix that codebox stretch?

hi...

i have tried it serval times and i you have to download the lion on more time from the appstore and break up the installion to you mac. than you have got the right installer in the application menu. i also tried to copy the installesd.dmg to the application menu than it never worked.

Don't put InstallESD.dmg on the desktop. Inside the mkboot script it looks for a file called Install Mac OS X Lion.app in /Applications. That file has to be named Install Mac OS X Lion.app exactly. It it isn't named that then rename it. It then looks for a file within that app called InstallESD.dmg at Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport. If your InstallESD.dmg isn't at that location, open mkboot (in the install folder you downloaded) with TexEdit and change the line IN_APP_DMG='Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg' to the location of your InstallESD.dmg within the app (such as IN_APP_DMG='InstallESD.dmg')

Ok, I've put InstallESD.dmg in the /Desktop/install directory and changed the script to IN_APP_DMG='InstallESD.dmg' and copied the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to the /Applications, and I got this:

Attaching OS X Lion . . .

hdiutil : attach failed - No such file or directory

I tried this method - created the image on USB drive and booted from it, but the installation doesn't see my hard disks (Disk Utility only shows me the USB disk). I am trying to install this on an older motherboard - P5E-VM SE which has the Intel ICH9 chipset. The motherboard is with AMI BIOS, so unfortunately the only setting related to SATA is "SATA Configuration" where you can choose Enhanced, Compatible or Disabled (and there are no additional settings for AHCI). "Enhanced" works fine with Leopard.

P.S. Fixed it - copied newest IOATAFamily from -Dune- to S/L/E

Ok, I've put InstallESD.dmg in the /Desktop/install directory and changed the script to IN_APP_DMG='InstallESD.dmg' and copied the Install Mac OS X Lion.app to the /Applications, and I got this:

Attaching OS X Lion . . .

hdiutil : attach failed - No such file or directory

InstallESD.dmg should be inside Install Mac OS X Lion.app not on Desktop/install. If you have IN_APP_DMG='InstallESD.dmg' in the script then leave it. Right click on Install Mac OS X Lion.app and select show package contents. Drag InstallESD.dmg into the window that opens. Run the command again and see if that works.

InstallESD.dmg should be inside Install Mac OS X Lion.app not on Desktop/install. If you have IN_APP_DMG='InstallESD.dmg' in the script then leave it. Right click on Install Mac OS X Lion.app and select show package contents. Drag InstallESD.dmg into the window that opens. Run the command again and see if that works.

As I know the Install Mac OS X Lion.app is inside the InstallESD.dmg

hey!

Thanks for the explanations in your guide!

But i have a problem:

When i try to boot from the USB device i can choose

the system i want to boot - but the boot loader doesn't

look like chameleon, its just a grey screen and no chameleon

logo...

but i can choose the mac os x base system of my usb stick.

While Booting it, i am always stuck on

" PCI Configuration begin "

No errors, no KP... Really don't know what to do, i used to install

snow leopard on my hackintosh before, but there was always

KP with description of what went wrong, so i knew what i'd had to do...

My System:

Gigabyte EX-58-UD4P

Intel Core i7

Msi Geforce gtx 460

Currently working Windows 7 partition

Snow leopard partition which is stuck on the same PCI Configuration begin

thing as Lion USB thumb drive - after SL Update to 10.6.8

Empty partition where i want to install Lion...

Thanks for any help!

When i try to boot from the USB device i can choose

the system i want to boot - but the boot loader doesn't

look like chameleon, its just a grey screen and no chameleon

logo...

but i can choose the mac os x base system of my usb stick.

While Booting it, i am always stuck on

" PCI Configuration begin "

Thanks for any help!

First, this IS chameleon, just theme without logo.

To get rid of "PCI Configuration begin" try npci=0x2000.

When your system boot properly just add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>

to your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

I'm having trouble installing this. I did it once to try it out then erased everything to store some files and now I can't do it again.

I keep getting install failed. I can't figure out what I am doing differently. From the log: 0

I figured it out. It seems there was a problem with the 10.6 install. Did a clean install of 10.6 up to 10.6.8, booted via the 10.7 usb stick, and installed lion. Everything's working fine. ;)

Not working for me...

./finalize always stop working after the installation of the Realtek drivers.

Always the same problem with Java, cannot be found. But how do I install Java this way?

finalize is running on a extra usb drive. (Terminal : cd /Volumes/USB/ then .finalize /Volumes/Lion )

Is this the problem?

EDIT: ./finalize: line 44: java: command not found

EDIT2: now working, with a dsdt from the internet for my board. Next problem: HDMI not working, Radeon HD6870...

DVI is working fine :(

Open a terminal and smply type 'java'. That'll download and install the JRU.

Not working for me...

./finalize always stop working after the installation of the Realtek drivers.

Always the same problem with Java, cannot be found. But how do I install Java this way?

finalize is running on a extra usb drive. (Terminal : cd /Volumes/USB/ then .finalize /Volumes/Lion )

Is this the problem?

EDIT: ./finalize: line 44: java: command not found

EDIT2: now working, with a dsdt from the internet for my board. Next problem: HDMI not working, Radeon HD6870...

DVI is working fine :(

I have tried many method to install Lion to my hacktintosh

I boot to the USB and install the Lion with no problem (Wow.. I finally did that)

However, when I am going to boot to it again to do the finalize, it freeze after

read HFS+ file ... DSDT.aml

Any advice?

p.s. I boot to the USB using hackboot at the first time

p.s2 I am not able to boot to HDD after read HFS+ ....mkext too

sorry for my poor english as it is not my mother lang.

Hello,

I am trying to follow this guide :blink: I don't use an USB stick but a partition:

rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$ pwd
/Users/rjc/Downloads/install
rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$ ls
ALC885_889a_LION			changelog.txt
BootExtra				com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
Extra					dsdt
Install Chameleon.mpkg			finalize
Install Chameleon_choices.plist		mkboot
RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B.pkg		patcher.rb
RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B_choices.plist
rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$ ./mkboot /Volumes/Boot/
/Applications/Install Mac OS X Lion.app: No such file
Usage: mkboot <Target volume>
rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$

I don't understand why that doesn't work?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

I am trying to follow this guide :( I don't use an USB stick but a partition:

rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$ pwd
/Users/rjc/Downloads/install
rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$ ls
ALC885_889a_LION			changelog.txt
BootExtra				com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
Extra					dsdt
Install Chameleon.mpkg			finalize
Install Chameleon_choices.plist		mkboot
RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B.pkg		patcher.rb
RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B_choices.plist
rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$ ./mkboot /Volumes/Boot/
/Applications/Install Mac OS X Lion.app: No such file
Usage: mkboot <Target volume>
rjcs-mac-pro:install rjc$

I don't understand why that doesn't work?

Thanks for your help

I doesn't work because you haven't bought OS X Lion from the app store. See step 1.