[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Well, the DSDT is maxed out.. again. I've succesfully powered the card, got confirmation that it is, but OS X being a preferential douche.. only selects the IGPU ... and so far i have no idea on how to force it not to do it.

Actually.. there would be one thing but requires a hex hunt in the bios files...

It goes like this: optimus in the bios works by selecting Arg0 and the values atributed to it.

If Arg0 is

/* 0000 */    0xD3, 0x73, 0xD8, 0x7E, 0xD0, 0xC2, 0x4F, 0x4E, 
/* 0008 */    0xA8, 0x54, 0x0F, 0x13, 0x17, 0xB0, 0x1C, 0x2C

Then we have no Optimus only a Intel GPU.

If Arg0 :

/* 0000 */    0xF8, 0xD8, 0x86, 0xA4, 0xDA, 0x0B, 0x1B, 0x47, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0xA7, 0x2B, 0x60, 0x42, 0xA6, 0xB5, 0xBE, 0xE0

Then we have Optimus and must check NVOP function for parameters (induced by the drivers)

Now, the most important one:

If Arg0:

/* 0000 */    0x75, 0x0B, 0xA5, 0xD4, 0xC7, 0x65, 0xF7, 0x46, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0xBF, 0xB7, 0x41, 0x51, 0x4C, 0xEA, 0x02, 0x44

Then we have 3D display and NVIDIA is set as primary.

Maybe if we can locate NVOP related Arg0 hex in the bios files and replace it with the NV3D we would essentially mimicking what 3D display users already have, tho by doing this we would loose IGPU (in os x at least, don't know about windows) but the real problem is whetever the laptop will boot or if it will boot, will the screen still be active?

About your problem... ive told you that with the rotated screen.. your connector-type is 02.. with the normal one it's 00 < this causing the bug. Somewhere from the bios to the drivers loading, a value gets lost or its missing completely. So it's either a OS X kext problem.. or a bios one.

• Like 1

sorry about the noob questions...@ doix

sorry noob questions...where is the dsdt file to activate the nvidia card? sorry i been out of the scene for while...if anyone can help me plz

DoiX has greatly improving the battery length. Another person (sorry I forget the name) is working on the bois unlocking/modding front to help get the nvidia gpu working.

Nothing is scheduled or garenteed to be released anytime soon, so don't ask when. It'll just anger the hardworking people working to perfect our machines

Well, the DSDT is maxed out.. again. I've succesfully powered the card, got confirmation that it is, but OS X being a preferential douche.. only selects the IGPU ... and so far i have no idea on how to force it not to do it.

Actually.. there would be one thing but requires a hex hunt in the bios files...

It goes like this: optimus in the bios works by selecting Arg0 and the values atributed to it.

If Arg0 is

/* 0000 */	0xD3, 0x73, 0xD8, 0x7E, 0xD0, 0xC2, 0x4F, 0x4E,
/* 0008 */	0xA8, 0x54, 0x0F, 0x13, 0x17, 0xB0, 0x1C, 0x2C

Then we have no Optimus only a Intel GPU.

If Arg0 :

/* 0000 */	0xF8, 0xD8, 0x86, 0xA4, 0xDA, 0x0B, 0x1B, 0x47,
								/* 0008 */	0xA7, 0x2B, 0x60, 0x42, 0xA6, 0xB5, 0xBE, 0xE0

Then we have Optimus and must check NVOP function for parameters (induced by the drivers)

Now, the most important one:

If Arg0:

/* 0000 */	0x75, 0x0B, 0xA5, 0xD4, 0xC7, 0x65, 0xF7, 0x46,
								/* 0008 */	0xBF, 0xB7, 0x41, 0x51, 0x4C, 0xEA, 0x02, 0x44

Then we have 3D display and NVIDIA is set as primary.

Maybe if we can locate NVOP related Arg0 hex in the bios files and replace it with the NV3D we would essentially mimicking what 3D display users already have, tho by doing this we would loose IGPU (in os x at least, don't know about windows) but the real problem is whetever the laptop will boot or if it will boot, will the screen still be active?

About your problem... ive told you that with the rotated screen.. your connector-type is 02.. with the normal one it's 00 < this causing the bug. Somewhere from the bios to the drivers loading, a value gets lost or its missing completely. So it's either a OS X kext problem.. or a bios one.

Hi DoiX,

I don't have this laptop or a similar problem that you've been trying to solve but your efforts grabbed my attention and I wanted to acknowledge your work just by saying "well done". I am not a programmer but I do however have a suggestion. If it comes to a point where it becomes clearer that the issue is not related to driver or frame buffer, would it be possible to think about a software solution that will force OS X to use discrete GPU. You may have heard gfxCardStatus, which is a small utility to view which GPU is in use and switch between them on demand. I know that many people use it to disable on-board GPU on MBP. It is an open source application so it may help you solve the problem. May be disabling on-board GPU without breaking OS X could be possible in this way.

Good luck,

@JBraddock, Thank you. I've looked into that app some months ago when i first started messing around with the cards, back then i came to the conclusion that it's not possible to adapt it to normal optimus laptops because it uses MUX (a chip controller) which only mbp have afaik. However, now, after i've learned more stuff and progressed a bit i think it may be possible to skip the Mux part and just focus on the IGPU.

So.. thank you very much for reminding me!

Update: http://dl.dropbox.co...02x-Lion_v6.zip Version 6 of the installer package.

Change log:

- added BetterTouchTool and Champlist to Applications section.

- replaced the DSDT files with the nvidia-off.aml file. Still has the restart bug - i specified that using shutdown instead is good enough for now.

- added org.chameleon.boot.plist files, one for FHD and another for normal HD screens. They use EFI Strings ofc.

- fixed smbios.plist install error

- added a nice Chameleon Theme, it auto installs.

After installing kexts via this package remember to use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions then Kext Wizard to recreate kextcache! You must do this to prevent possible bugs that occur on some people's systems.

Forgot to post the nvidia-off DSDT, so people would just get that instead of the whole pack. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/nvidia-off.aml.zip To use it modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist to use this DSDT file (ex: DSDT=/Extra/nvidia-off.aml)

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 1

@JBraddock, Thank you. I've looked into that app some months ago when i first started messing around with the cards, back then i came to the conclusion that it's not possible to adapt it to normal optimus laptops because it uses MUX (a chip controller) which only mbp have afaik. However, now, after i've learned more stuff and progressed a bit i think it may be possible to skip the Mux part and just focus on the IGPU.

So.. thank you very much for reminding me!

Update: http://dl.dropbox.co...02x-Lion_v6.zip Version 6 of the installer package.

Change log:

- added BetterTouchTool and Champlist to Applications section.

- replaced the DSDT files with the nvidia-off.aml file. Still has the restart bug - i specified that using shutdown instead is good enough for now.

- added org.chameleon.boot.plist files, one for FHD and another for normal HD screens. They use EFI Strings ofc.

- fixed smbios.plist install error

- added a nice Chameleon Theme, it auto installs.

After installing kexts via this package remember to use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions then Kext Wizard to recreate kextcache! You must do this to prevent possible bugs that occur on some people's systems.

Great Doix! Thanx for all your work and make sure you make your 1 feb deadline :wink2:

I think you mixed up Kext Utility and Kext Wizard.

When using Kext Wizard, it is not necessary to use Disk Utility because it includes calling Disk Utility to repair disk permissions.

@birdibird, thanks... i need more caffeine in me to make it!

I recommend Disk Utility because Kext Wizard failed to repair my Extensions folder a couple of times, once it even messed all the permissions. Didn't find why... oh well, They can use what they prefer :P i was just making suggestions.

Nvidia update: i don't know if i linked this before, http://netkas.org/?p=1027 and http://www.villagein...php?page=ViDock i'm curious if it's compatible with MBP8s if it is then they must provide some kexts to make it work, maybe if i can get my hands on those kexts (if they exist) i can bypass the freaking IGPU and finally make the Nvidia one primary? Oh questions.. questions...

Nvidia-off dsdt update: uhm... apparently the restart bug is random, today after i woke my laptop from sleep, and used restart it worked fine.... yesterday, hours after i powered my laptop on, restart worked again...

Edited by DoiX

Nvidia-off dsdt update: uhm... apparently the restart bug is random, today after i woke my laptop from sleep, and used restart it worked fine.... yesterday, hours after i powered my laptop on, restart worked again...

That happened to me too, but just once. I was totally surprised :) I think it was while having an usb cable connected to the right usb2 connector.

I'l try to repeat it...

edit: hmmm, didn't work...

:worried_anim:

Nvidia update: i don't know if i linked this before, http://netkas.org/?p=1027 and http://www.villagein...php?page=ViDock i'm curious if it's compatible with MBP8s if it is then they must provide some kexts to make it work, maybe if i can get my hands on those kexts (if they exist) i can bypass the freaking IGPU and finally make the Nvidia one primary? Oh questions.. questions...

You may have heard the project called eGPU which allows you to use a discrete GPU by using Express Card slot on your notebook. The idea is similar to Vidock.

I have seen a couple of people using this setup on their notebook and it works on OS X too. As far as I could tell, they use the existing kexts in OS X. Kizwan uses one such a solution. BTW to me, bcc9 seems to me that he might have something to say about this issue.

Edit: Look. Also, you may have noticed that people using eGPU are using an external display to get it working.

Edited by JBraddock

@ DoiX :

is there any possibility that TAP TO CLICK in trackpad will work in our mac systems just like it works on every windows os ???

It does, just go to SystemPreferences/Trackpad and enable Clicking

That happened to me too, but just once. I was totally surprised :) I think it was while having an usb cable connected to the right usb2 connector.

I'l try to repeat it...

edit: hmmm, didn't work...

:worried_anim:

Indeed, I'm pretty sure it's not USB related, because I always have a HUB plugged in the right USB port and it has never worked for me (plugged in or not).

But I'll try tonight with the new nvda-off.aml, because now I'm at work and I don't think my boss would appreciate that I "play" with OS X when I would be developping his cost accountancy!

Let you know the results tonight.

Hey guys, did try the DSDT yesterday, and concerning my config, still no changes about the restart issue, even if it worked once, first time I tried to restart. But on the second test, the third, the fourth, the fifth, no luck.

DoiX, let me know if you want to test things before uploading them.

Thanks for your great work!

Hello everyone,

Been away from the internet's for the weekend. It seems there have been some exciting developments here thought =D

I have tried the new, 'GPU off DSDT' from doix. But it seems that it is not a FULL HD, dsdt? As when I copy it to my extra folder it make my screen all pink and glitched out?

Is there an FULL HD version, or a specific line of the DSDT which I should edit to fix the glitch issue?

Mad props to DoiX, as usual.

@JBraddock, thanks again. i'll contact them/check the eGPU in the weekend.

@Monkeys, i removed the DSDT dependent patch and suplied an EFI string one. Use the latest auto installer pack and install it from there or browse some pages back and use the first efi string i posted.

@Rockball73, i know what's causing the restart bug with the nvidiaoff dsdt and the sleep problem with A07+ Bioses, unfortunately i don't have the knowledge to fix it. It's related to _cst in the bios/DSDT files... Frankly i'd prefer to use the A09 bios because the temps are better for my i7, fan seems to run smarter too.

@JBraddock, thanks again. i'll contact them/check the eGPU in the weekend.

@Monkeys, i removed the DSDT dependent patch and suplied an EFI string one. Use the latest auto installer pack and install it from there or browse some pages back and use the first efi string i posted.

@Rockball73, i know what's causing the restart bug with the nvidiaoff dsdt and the sleep problem with A07+ Bioses, unfortunately i don't have the knowledge to fix it. It's related to _cst in the bios/DSDT files... Frankly i'd prefer to use the A09 bios because the temps are better for my i7, fan seems to run smarter too.

@ Doix,

Just curious, are you using the A09 bios direct from the Dell website or the modded Dell gt540m A09 bios from http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/635536-l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-more.html?

I was casually googling and came across interesting stuff and thought might be some useful info. I am guessing that DoiX may have already come across this stuff, still its me just trying to help :P:)

hope it helps,

Nvidia card related

1) http://www.osx86.net...t-540-m-11.html

2) http://www.osx86.net...acpi-calls.html

3) http://www.insanelym...us&fromsearch=1

BIOS modding

1) http://forum.noteboo...os-project.html

2) http://www.bios-mods...-BIOS-and-HOWTO

although they aren't getting to forcing the nvidia card to only power up, still you can talk to them and have the bios modded to do the same

Thanks for your intense work on this DoiX! Cant thank you enough :)

Will test the new DSDT as soon as I get some free time

Cheers!

10.7.3 is out... Am guessing to get the combo update and install pack 6 before reboot... Wish me luck lol!

Using a09 bios from dells site, and the new Dsdt shows huge 1hr+ gain in reported battery life (6cell - extends like an inch from bottom of laptop) so shows 4.5hrs from full charge which is basically same as windows!

Been using this machine daily instead of buying a MacBook to replace our old MacBook pro ( 6 years old) that died and so far can't see why I'd change it - thanks to all the hard work people have put in getting this running !