Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

I've not expressed myself clearly enough.

This is a clean install, no apps or data or anything. This is my first Mac experience, so I don't have a lot of troubleshooting skills besides what I can find on the fora.

The 10.6.3 installs with no problems, but has no networking, sound, low resolution, etc, that's why I try to get to 6.8, so I can also use your install-script.

After installing 10.6.3 Run the install package and reboot!

Hello Andy.

I have installed mac os x with your boot cd and the retail disk starting at 10.6.3

I have installed all of the combo updates up to 10.6.7

I too have a p6p67 le mobo with a sandy bridge i5 cpu.

The problem I am having now is that I do not have a bootloader that works. I am dual booting from windows so I have the efi bios and partitioned the hard drive gpt and installed windows and mac on the same drive. My issue now is dual booting the two together.

So far I have made a new boot option using easyBCD in windows pointing the partition with mac installed. I now have this option and it redirects to the chameleon bootloader installed from your cd. This freezes at the 2nd mach_kernal (Loaded NSF+ file: [mach_kernal] 7690772 bytes from 42537e0)

This is the last line and doesn't move from there. Any ideas?

Another problem (although not urgent as want to solve this problem first) is that when I use the update helper from tonymacx86 and restart after installing that, I reboot into mac and my mouse and everything moves but has no effect. I cannot click anything, if i hover the dock it does not magnify etc. Always happens, and ive done it twice now, after I run the update helper to update before the combo update 10.6.8

Like I said, these are two main problems but first one needs sorting as I dont fancy loading off boot cd every time I want to use my mac!

Thanks andy!

Hello Andy.

I have installed mac os x with your boot cd and the retail disk starting at 10.6.3

I have installed all of the combo updates up to 10.6.7

I too have a p6p67 le mobo with a sandy bridge i5 cpu.

The problem I am having now is that I do not have a bootloader that works. I am dual booting from windows so I have the efi bios and partitioned the hard drive gpt and installed windows and mac on the same drive. My issue now is dual booting the two together.

So far I have made a new boot option using easyBCD in windows pointing the partition with mac installed. I now have this option and it redirects to the chameleon bootloader installed from your cd. This freezes at the 2nd mach_kernal (Loaded NSF+ file: [mach_kernal] 7690772 bytes from 42537e0)

This is the last line and doesn't move from there. Any ideas?

Another problem (although not urgent as want to solve this problem first) is that when I use the update helper from tonymacx86 and restart after installing that, I reboot into mac and my mouse and everything moves but has no effect. I cannot click anything, if i hover the dock it does not magnify etc. Always happens, and ive done it twice now, after I run the update helper to update before the combo update 10.6.8

Like I said, these are two main problems but first one needs sorting as I dont fancy loading off boot cd every time I want to use my mac!

Thanks andy!

Which option did you use for easybcd - one of the options installs an iso image that it boots from and that image has an old version of chameleon in it - I suspect thats the problem. Try booting windows, run easybcd, delete your mac entry and create a new one but this time try the other option - or create one entry for each and see if eitrher works.

One other option is to set the mac partition as active and use chameleon as your default bootloader - that may work - you should be able to test if this is likely to work by booting from the boot cd, select the windows partition to boot from once chameleon loads and see if it boots into windows - if it doesn't then probably not much point pursuing that option lol

Hello, I have actually tried booting windows from your cd bootloader. It does work and boots into windows fine. If I mark the mac partition as active, could this potentially solve the chimera 1.5.4 bootloader that came from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (I installed this last as your one didn't work due to this problem) and load up mac from there? Could it simply be making a partition active?

As for easy bcd, I installed as EFI type for the mac bootloader option. It does actually show up in the EFI BIOS and when selected redirect to the chimera bootloader.

Thanks!

I think the easiest option for you is to set the mac partition as active and just use chameleon as the bootloader even if just to get a selectable boot choice working (you can always mess about with it later if you still want to get the windows bootloader working as the default).

If after setting the mac partition as active you have problems you can just set the hidden windows system partition active again and you should be back where you started.

Dont use the efi bios to select the boot drive btw - just let it try and boot as normal and once the bootloader has loaded select what you want to load.

Ive got several multiboot setups working here and use the windows bootloader on all but one of thyem - that one is an old gigabyte board but easybcd just refused to work and got pissed off trying to work out why so just used chameleon instead lol - all of them are using my build of chameleon so it does work, it's just fiddly sometimes with easybcd being picky.

I would defo try booting into windows and using easybcd to create 2 more entries for the mac - one for each option in easybcd and see if either works first though.

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I have just set the mac partition active and still no luck! Im struggling here! lol

When setting it active, it still went to windows bootloader, and when I tried to select mac no luck.. froze back where I started.

Its annoying I can use mac fine but only with the boot cd! >;)

I am on 10.6.7. Have you any ideas on my other problem. When running update helper and rebooting, my mouse moves but does not click and nothing responds to it, for example the magnifier on the dock when hover. Consequently, I cannot update after this and have to reinstall to 10.6.3. Its happened 3 times now

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I have just set the mac partition active and still no luck! Im struggling here! lol

When setting it active, it still went to windows bootloader, and when I tried to select mac no luck.. froze back where I started.

Its annoying I can use mac fine but only with the boot cd! >;)

I am on 10.6.7. Have you any ideas on my other problem. When running update helper and rebooting, my mouse moves but does not click and nothing responds to it, for example the magnifier on the dock when hover. Consequently, I cannot update after this and have to reinstall to 10.6.3. Its happened 3 times now

Are your partitions on the same drive? If you set the mac partition as active then thats the partition that it should boot from. If you are using seperate drives then you would need to change the drive boot order in the bios instead.

Regarding your other problem - try booting with -f or if that still doesnt work boot with -s and when you the command prompt try the following...

mount -uw /
cd System/Library/Caches
rm -R *
reboot

Then use -f and see if that helps - it will be slower to boot this time because you have just deleted all your cached boot files.

Hi Andy, do you think there's some kind of bootloader for the AsRock P67 motherboard?

Do you mean bootloader or boot cd? If you mean bootloader have you tried a recent version of chameleon?

Are your partitions on the same drive? If you set the mac partition as active then thats the partition that it should boot from. If you are using seperate drives then you would need to change the drive boot order in the bios instead.

Regarding your other problem - try booting with -f or if that still doesnt work boot with -s and when you the command prompt try the following...

mount -uw /
cd System/Library/Caches
rm -R *
reboot

Then use -f and see if that helps - it will be slower to boot this time because you have just deleted all your cached boot files.

Hey Andy,

I have unstalled on the same drive as its the only one ive got available to install OS's on. Windows on 1 partition and OS X on the other. I was formatted GUID (GPT) and the file system for mac NFS+ ofcourse and for windows NTFS.

I marked the partition active using terminal diskutil list, fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 etc... and marked the partition as active.

According to the results though, I have 4 partitions. 2 with the OSs on and the other two not sure. In disk utility it shows up only as 3 parts. One I think is the EFI data. I tried making another partition active, not the efi one. The results of this, is it booted into a black and white bios style chimera bootloader and when I booted in vermose into my HD, it automatically went into safe mode. This however did go straight to the bootloader and not to it through windows bootloader.

Any suggestions.

Ill try the other solution when i get this solved also and let you know! :D

Thanks

EDIT: I have managed to boot into SL using the bootloader without the cd. I marked the mac partition as active both within mac, and in the installer terminal of mac. It claims to be active however in windows it shows windows partition as active and I cannot make the mac partition active from within windows.

Anyway, I managed to get into SL just now (kindof silly I didn't think of it) but by typing in "-v rd=disk0s3"

This boots into mac, takes a tiny bit longer but i'm in. Bugs with this load is that my process is 665MHz Xeon (apparantly) and I have 8GB of 5**somethingMHz DDR2 Ram (which I don't) (I have 1333MHz 8GB DDR3) In addition to this, the graphics are slow. The magnifier slowly magnifies. When you click a menu and close a menu the fade off slowly disappears, if you know what I mean. This is what I have immediately noticed, but clearly not right from booting a perfect load off your cd.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Hey Andy,

I have unstalled on the same drive as its the only one ive got available to install OS's on. Windows on 1 partition and OS X on the other. I was formatted GUID (GPT) and the file system for mac NFS+ ofcourse and for windows NTFS.

I marked the partition active using terminal diskutil list, fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 etc... and marked the partition as active.

According to the results though, I have 4 partitions. 2 with the OSs on and the other two not sure. In disk utility it shows up only as 3 parts. One I think is the EFI data. I tried making another partition active, not the efi one. The results of this, is it booted into a black and white bios style chimera bootloader and when I booted in vermose into my HD, it automatically went into safe mode. This however did go straight to the bootloader and not to it through windows bootloader.

Any suggestions.

Ill try the other solution when i get this solved also and let you know! :)

Thanks

EDIT: I have managed to boot into SL using the bootloader without the cd. I marked the mac partition as active both within mac, and in the installer terminal of mac. It claims to be active however in windows it shows windows partition as active and I cannot make the mac partition active from within windows.

Anyway, I managed to get into SL just now (kindof silly I didn't think of it) but by typing in "-v rd=disk0s3"

This boots into mac, takes a tiny bit longer but i'm in. Bugs with this load is that my process is 665MHz Xeon (apparantly) and I have 8GB of 5**somethingMHz DDR2 Ram (which I don't) (I have 1333MHz 8GB DDR3) In addition to this, the graphics are slow. The magnifier slowly magnifies. When you click a menu and close a menu the fade off slowly disappears, if you know what I mean. This is what I have immediately noticed, but clearly not right from booting a perfect load off your cd.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Doesn't sound like its using the same version of chameleon as the boot cd.

Doesn't sound like its using the same version of chameleon as the boot cd.

I'll reinstall your installer and try it again and report back..

EDIT: Reinstalled your p8p67 pro installer package. Installed and rebooted. Upon reboot i booted to the bootloader on hd, still having to point towards from the windows bootloader by selecting mac, and I was presented by a small white line top right corner flashing. Left it for 20 mins, no change. Rebooted using andy boot cd and kernal panic. I typed -v -f and booted to get back in to stop the kernal panicking. Back to normal now. What do you think? Dodgy install.. Can't I just pay you to come round here and fix it yourself?! lol

Thanks

Can't I just pay you to come round here and fix it yourself?! lol

No chance in hell mate - getting the bootloader working properly for dual boot with a single drive can be hell - sometimes it works right off the bat and other times well you know the rest lol.

One thing I will mention - When I used a 500gig western digital drive chameleon didnt work at all no matter what I tried - in the end I swapped the drive for a samsung, cloned the old one to it and it worked straight away!

No chance in hell mate - getting the bootloader working properly for dual boot with a single drive can be hell - sometimes it works right off the bat and other times well you know the rest lol.

One thing I will mention - When I used a 500gig western digital drive chameleon didnt work at all no matter what I tried - in the end I swapped the drive for a samsung, cloned the old one to it and it worked straight away!

Hahaa! was worth a shot eh..

Well, this is a slight pickle.. :D errmmm, I don't think it will work with my setup, just not loving it is it?

I might have to consider installing on another hard drive however much i'll hate to do that and dual boot that way. Is that alot easier, more reliable and simpler? :P

Thanks

Hahaa! was worth a shot eh..

Well, this is a slight pickle.. :P errmmm, I don't think it will work with my setup, just not loving it is it?

I might have to consider installing on another hard drive however much i'll hate to do that and dual boot that way. Is that alot easier, more reliable and simpler? :)

Thanks

If you have an old scrap drive laying around install to that, make sure the bootloader works and you can boot from that drive and then clone it

Simplest way is install windows on one drive, os x on another and boot via the bios - i.e. jab f8 and select which drive you want to boot from - that seriously can't go wrong!

If you have an old scrap drive laying around install to that, make sure the bootloader works and you can boot from that drive and then clone it

Simplest way is install windows on one drive, os x on another and boot via the bios - i.e. jab f8 and select which drive you want to boot from - that seriously can't go wrong!

Might just do that.. seems the most sensible option. Is there a way you can just have a boot menu that waits for you to select before booting on a certain drive? Thanks! :D

Eh also, while i've got you.. am I right thinking that if for example, my itunes music and library I want to make hybrid between mac and windows. I would need to create a 'FAT' file system on a partition in order for both os's to be able to read and write. FAT is old and outdated now though, any other options?

Andy

Just wanted to say thanks. Absolute noob really appreciating your work. I've been wanting to install osx onto my pc for years, but only switched from AMD to Intel recently.

By lucky happenstance, I happened to upgrade to a P8P67 Pro running an i7 3.4. Following that, I bumbled onto your post here, and your bootloader.

I'm happy to say that I am writing this from within OSX :)

I'm having the whole sound not recognised issue, and my display resolution is limited... but hey. For my first attempt I'm dead chuffed!

So... not ever so bothered about display... i can see and thats the main thing! Gonna try and fix sound... re-install your package I think was mentioned somewhere, (if not then i'll re-read all the posts a second time :( ).

Anyway. Just wanted to say thanks!

Nik

Hi andy

Thanx to u i was able to install mac os x on my pc...

but facing small problem until i did the update every thing was stable then i installed 10.6.7 then ur package from desktop...the system rebooted perfectly...

1) but safari now crashes it only works on apple sites :(

2nd > can u find me a nvidia gts 450 driver cause the drive on tonymacx86 saya nividia solution will not work for this pc :)

3rd....NO sound at all tryed every thing except [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cause it screws by my install and then i can only boot in safemode :D

Hello Andy,

Just an update on how I am getting on.

I have installed windows from fresh on my hard drive as there were too many reminents of the mac install such as unmovable allocated space and unformatting partitions etc. Anyway, completely re-formatted it and got windows in on it, split it into 2 parts, one for windows and one for user files.

I did the same again for a mac hard disk, 500gb for OS and 500gb for files.

Anyway, got these both working and most importantly, had mac booting off your bootloader!

I am now to the stage of booting the HD with mac on from the BIOS, and I was an automatic option, instead of having to press f8 everytime, I want it to appear as two options. One for windows, and one for mac and for it to boot correctly into my option.

Is there a way to do that? I think I read it somewhere but not entirely sure! Something to do with terminal but anyway, you seem to know what you're doing so thought id see if you could help me out! :(

Thanks a lot for all you are doing!

Luke

Hello Andy,

Just an update on how I am getting on.

I have installed windows from fresh on my hard drive as there were too many reminents of the mac install such as unmovable allocated space and unformatting partitions etc. Anyway, completely re-formatted it and got windows in on it, split it into 2 parts, one for windows and one for user files.

I did the same again for a mac hard disk, 500gb for OS and 500gb for files.

Anyway, got these both working and most importantly, had mac booting off your bootloader!

I am now to the stage of booting the HD with mac on from the BIOS, and I was an automatic option, instead of having to press f8 everytime, I want it to appear as two options. One for windows, and one for mac and for it to boot correctly into my option.

Is there a way to do that? I think I read it somewhere but not entirely sure! Something to do with terminal but anyway, you seem to know what you're doing so thought id see if you could help me out! ;)

Thanks a lot for all you are doing!

Luke

if you set the mac drive as the default boot device in the bios chameleon should now detect your windows disk and allow you to select and boot windows via the chameleon bootloader.

if you set the mac drive as the default boot device in the bios chameleon should now detect your windows disk and allow you to select and boot windows via the chameleon bootloader.

Is there a way I can stop the countdown where it has a small bar moving down until it automatically boots mac..?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my P8P67 install and wondered if anyone had any ideas -

1. About half of all .dmg files give the dreaded "no mountable file systems" error

2. I am unable to mount any DVD's though burning them with toast seems to work, as do cd's.

Seems to me these two things could be related. All works fine on my Dell Vostro install of 10.5 which leads me to believe this issue might be specific to this install?

Im on 10.6.8

Thanks in advance

Please Rply to my post also :ninja:

Sorry but no - you will have to find your own drivers for your video card!

Is there a way I can stop the countdown where it has a small bar moving down until it automatically boots mac..?

If you do that you wont have time to select Windows instead!

If you do that you wont have time to select Windows instead!

Oki Dokles... Well, my mobo has broken! won't boot into the BIOS, hangs at post and will not let me clear the cmos with jumpers and removing battery... Sent back to my retailer and found a manufacturing fault. LOVELY! So, I should have it back up and running soon enough.. the only other problem I am having is this one

..http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=269564 (the ilok in pro tools not being detected, just by pro tools, but by everything else)

If you could have a look and if you have any ideas it will be great.. :D

Thanks

Hi Andy,

First of all thank you for all the hard work you've put into this guide. I've read through all of it and it seems that you have managed to give a working Asus motherboard based solution for the i7. At the moment I'm running a stable :

• Q9550 @ 3.8GHz (on air)
  • Asus Maximus II Formula
  • 8GB GSkill PC2 8800 Pi
  • Nvidia GTX260 896MB

My one bottleneck at the moment is the availability of RAM. There doesn't seem to be too many DDR2 16GB kits and the ones that are available are not running at a high enough clock speed to keep my overclock stable. I have been looking at Maximus IV Extreme as the basis of a new build, I was hoping for your advice as to which direction I should go to build a 4-5GHz i7-2600K machine as the DDR3 16GB kits seem to be easily available. Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated before I invest in hardware.

Thank you in advance

HarshaDS