[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Thanks So Much Mammoth for your huge efforts for helping us and the community

1) I applied your guide and i got most of the drivers working except HDMI Sound not working till now although it works before.

2) AppleACPIBatteryManger.kext: not working properly (wrong calculations & no warning when battery is low) although it works before.

Update: there is a very simple DSDT edit, which must be made manually to make

AppleACPIBatteryManger.kext work fine here

3)Sound don't work with "LegacyHDA.kext" so i replaced it with my old "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" made by kizwan

That's it Till Now if i got any other problem i will report it as soon as possible

Also i want to say that i installed Mac OSX 10.7 on "OSXRepair" partition just to test & see and it seems very good

most of the major drivers work very well like Graphics, Network, Keyboard and trackpad :D:D

but sound, GenericBrightness and AppleACPIBatteryManger don't work till now

and the kernel error is still there so we have to use edited kernel :D:(

I can't get sound to work. Can you please tell me how to replace the kext?

Well basically you need to patch your freshly prepared dsdt with either the old nixin patch for dv6t or use the default patch for dv6 in the auto-patcher by Mald0n as the DV6 dsdt patch that is provided with the first post wont allow you to get sound with the "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" made by kizwan.

So what you got to do is repatch your fresh dsdt with the autopatcher with either the default dv6 patch by Mald0n or use the older Nixin DV6 patch and then put the "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" in E/E and the patched AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and repair permissions for both and reboot.

Might have to explain that to me in more laymen's terms. But I had that same error sequence. I had messed up my Cham boot partition. So l rebooted off the OS X install, then restored the "CIIF" to the "cham" partition again and re-ran the /volumes/ciif/finish program. Worked fine after that. Also make sure your OS X install partition is called "Macintosh HD". Shouldn't have any problems after that?? Be careful you're restoring the correct CIIF to the cham partition, it's not the actual MIIF it's inside the MIIF at /installation/

Hey Pablo,

I've done that twice. Made sure that the image I used was the CIIF inside my MIID so it should be the right file. Also, made sure that my partition's called "Macintosh HD". Could the partition order affect it as well? Not too sure if I had the same order. Forgot to leave a partition for an OSX Repair anyway, so I'll have to give it another go. Thanks for the input.

Thanks, going to try this, but somewhere I saw that the hacked BIO should be on the MIIF from Mammuth, but I can't find it on the USB ?? MAmmuth do you have a link to the BIOS? since we have the same :)

BR

Peter

Hi Peter,

Check the "Technical Guide" that Mammoth posted in the first page. It has information on hacking the bios.

Hey Pablo,

I've done that twice. Made sure that the image I used was the CIIF inside my MIID so it should be the right file. Also, made sure that my partition's called "Macintosh HD". Could the partition order affect it as well? Not too sure if I had the same order. Forgot to leave a partition for an OSX Repair anyway, so I'll have to give it another go. Thanks for the input.

Strange, l really have no idea then :) Cham has to be 1st partition on the drive and in the primary hard drive bay slot. Apart from that, pass?? Hard Drive has to be GUID scheme, HFS+ partition types too. Apart from that l'm really at a loose end

Strange, l really have no idea then :) Cham has to be 1st partition on the drive and in the primary hard drive bay slot. Apart from that, pass?? Hard Drive has to be GUID scheme, HFS+ partition types too. Apart from that l'm really at a loose end

Hey,

I'm sorry but don't quite understand what you mean when you say GUID scheme, HFS+ partition. Care to elaborate? Hehe.

Hey,

I'm sorry but don't quite understand what you mean when you say GUID scheme, HFS+ partition. Care to elaborate? Hehe.

Versus MBR partition scheme, ntfs/fat32/etc partitions... You can't install period without those first, so therefore that's not your issue unfortunately... sorry I can't be of more help either, but at least I could translate

I'm on 10.6.7 and I only created the file fstab (need to do sudo -s first ;) ) in /etc and add these line in,after reboot these partition is not mounted :D see picture attached and my fstab. but do not use existing fstab.hd !!!

So that is great if for example OSX crashes, the these partition is not then affected if the PC is not shut down in a proper way ;)

According to my problem that the PC hung after I chose restart/shut down, it might be related to the new kernel or sleepenabler from 10.6.7? or just the 10.6.7 upgrade

Any way I have disabled Energy Saver right now, So I can see if that is the problem or not.

EDIT

Is these kernel errors just false .... ?

Mar 31 09:09:36 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:10:27: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:10:27: --- last message repeated 4 times ---

Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit

Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit

Thanks Peter_sm,

I will try it again later, but that's exactly what I did and it didn't work. I was trying it on my Desktop Hac, which has hardware RAID, so that might be why it doesn't work. ChamExtUp doesn't work on RAID systems and I haven't been able to figure out why that is. Next time I'll try on the laptop.

The kernel errors you are referring to are "sound assertion" errors. I mentioned them in the guides and they have to do with our audio patching. These need to be figured out and resolved ASAP, but I will need help from those more knowledgeable in this area.

hey mammoth

first off all thnx for all your Your efforts to make such a great guide and great methods .

i have confused a little bit about which MIIF & DSDT files should i use for my hp ?

thnx again

For yours, I would first try the DV8 MIIF. If that doesn't work, try replacing the DSDT.aml on the MIID with either a clean one from your system, or better yet, one that has been customized for yours, if exists. We are still in the early stages of getting these created for various machines.

So could you elaborate on this and detail some instructions to what i should do, I tried using the dvx miid and inserted my dsdt, and all i get is boot loop i tried using different kernels, the 10.7.3 legacy kernel, the nawcom kernel you supplied that allowed your i5 and i3 installation, and the default taptun kernel

i also remembered to change the boot.plist accordingly for each trial

i would also like to note that my hp has sandy bridge and an intel chipset hm65

Oh, I see, Sandy bridge plus ATI, yikes! This could be a bit of a challenge, so you are going to have to figure out what it's going to take to make it work. If I had a machine like that, I could probably figure it out.

Boot loop USUALLY means the kernel and machine are NOT compatible.

- I would say definitely use your own DSDT (custom or clean), as that could be really different from earlier machines.

- If the NOWCOM legacy_kernel does NOT work, then you will need to try an experiment of using the taptun1067_kernel. If this does NOT work, then I would suggest Googling and trolling for info on the Sandy chip set, Hacs, and working kernels. Be sure to report back any findings so that we then can work on providing support.

You might want to check with the guy who runs the NOWCOM site, he might know something already.

Hi franky_402, Did you do the bios mod for this to work. I found some info stating these work natively on some Pavilion's and Compaq's. Found some for sale: WLAN PCI-Express Mini-Card 802.11n/a/b/g 300 Mbps / Atheros AR9280 / 2Tx2R MIMO with Model #: Atheros AR5BXB92. Wondering if this is the same model you have, as I would also like the bluetooth option

.HP Compatible AR5BXB92

New Apple Original wireless wifi card Atheros AR5BXB92

This is not the same model i have its slightly different, for the card i have i did have to do the whitelist hack to my bios. If that card is found in macbooks and its supported in hps dvx line then you shouldnt need to do anything with the bios and it should work fine however i didnt see anything stated bluetooth capabilities so i can tell you for sure yet. If i have time later i can do some more looking for you and post back

Installation was all fine and well, followed the full instructions up to where it said to remove all devices, I managed to remove my USB mouse but obviously the MIID/XIID USB had to stay connected since OSX is being installed off it.

Actually you can, and should eject the MIID at that point, and that step is mainly to help protect the MIID. At that point, it's all loaded in memory so you can eject it.

The problem arose after rebooting, I would get the following error

boot0 : GPT

boot0 : test

boot0 : test

boot0 : done

boot1 : error

My OSX installation was unable to boot by itself. I was able to log into OSX via MIID.

I know exactly what happened here and this is a lesson for all:

The install drive (hard drive you are installing OS X to) MUST me drive 0 (I.O.W. the FIRST drive). The scripts need the install drive to be 0 in order to work and if it is not, the script will NOT be able to make "some other drive" bootable. I have posted info about this in the "Updates Since Current Guides" post on the first page. Always make sure in Disk Utility that your install drive is seen as the first drive (drive 0).

I attempted to install 10.6.7 just to see if it was possible as this was where I had issues in the past with the Nawcom boot CD. Still couldn't boot without MIID so I had to use it to get into OSX.

OSX managed to boot fine however, my keyboard, trackpad and USB ports were not working and therefore I could not do anything even though it's booted. I do know that it was frozen as pressing the power button would prompt me with the shut down options.

So yeah, that's the progress I've had so far. If anyone could lend a hand, that'd be great.

Thanks for reading =]

You need to try the install again making sure your install drive is drive 0, then most of these issues I THINK should go away. We are all braving new territory here and on many fronts with many different machines. :P

Patience all. ;)

It happened the same to me. I couldn´t boot from the HD, only from the MIID and the USB ports were not working either. As I had no internet and no access to USB, I am also stuck.

See my post to Ekwj for all the info about this and how to correct it.

:D

I got the MIID and OSX installation disk restored onto a flashdrive but now when i try to start up the installation it starts to load and then grey screens with the thing saying to restart. What should I do to fix this? redo the installation disk restore? because i tried putting the disk in and that did the same thing as it loaded. it only works in the mammoth cd boot.

Wow, your machine should install with no issues. You might have made a mistake somewhere.

- Be sure you are using the DV8 v.02 MIIF

- Be sure your install drive is seen as "drive 0" (check in Disk Utiilty or diskutil list in Terminal).

- Make sure you aren't skipping any steps or doing them incorrectly.

Hi Mammoth

I will try this v.02 MIIF sound Kext and see, hope to get HDMI sound working!!

I don't mean "10.6.7", i mean "Mac OSX Lion 10.7.0 developer Release"

Very eager to hear how the install goes. (I hope well of course)! ;)

Oh, I'm not even going to LOOK at Lion until the release. I've got enough to do on my hands! ;)

Still problem that my PC hung with reboot/shut down..

BUT according to WIFI card, I looked at my sons laptop, and he has a ALTHEROS AR928X card , if that works i going to shift card with him :D Some one knows if this is a working card for osx

EDIT

Some searching and it looks like this card are supported :D Mammuth or other DV8 user , is there any way to get a updated BIOS from somewhere ??

First, I would just plug the card in and try it. You might be surprised to find that it's supported.

The procedure to patch the BIOS is in the guides, and we do need more people to test it.

Thanks, going to try this, but somewhere I saw that the hacked BIO should be on the MIIF from Mammuth, but I can't find it on the USB ?? MAmmuth do you have a link to the BIOS? since we have the same :D

BR

Peter

Ahh, very good point Peter_sm. I will post my BIOS.

;)

Thanks, going to try this, but somewhere I saw that the hacked BIO should be on the MIIF from Mammuth, but I can't find it on the USB ?? MAmmuth do you have a link to the BIOS? since we have the same :D

BR

Peter

IT'S POSTED NOW!

;)

Have you tried the EnableAudio script in /Cham/Extra/Maintenance/ yet?

Very eager to hear how the install goes. (I hope well of course)! ;)

Oh, I'm not even going to LOOK at Lion until the release. I've got enough to do on my hands! ;)

;)

it seems very good most of the major drivers work very well like Graphics, Network, Keyboard and trackpad ;)

but sound, GenericBrightness don't work till now and the kernel Lapic Problem is still there so we have to use edited kernel.

I installed it just to see what works not using it ... there are a lot of problems because Chameleon don't support Lion so there is no automatic hardware detection but this problem faces all the community. ;)

also there is no Kernel source code, so i am using one core of the CPU "CPUS=1" :D

Actually you can, and should eject the MIID at that point, and that step is mainly to help protect the MIID. At that point, it's all loaded in memory so you can eject it.

I know exactly what happened here and this is a lesson for all:

The install drive (hard drive you are installing OS X to) MUST me drive 0 (I.O.W. the FIRST drive). The scripts need the install drive to be 0 in order to work and if it is not, the script will NOT be able to make "some other drive" bootable. I have posted info about this in the "Updates Since Current Guides" post on the first page. Always make sure in Disk Utility that your install drive is seen as the first drive (drive 0).

You need to try the install again making sure your install drive is drive 0, then most of these issues I THINK should go away. We are all braving new territory here and on many fronts with many different machines. ;)

Patience all. ;)

Ahh, thanks for that Mammoth. You're a champ. Will test out again tonight and see how things go.

This is not the same model i have its slightly different, for the card i have i did have to do the whitelist hack to my bios. If that card is found in macbooks and its supported in hps dvx line then you shouldnt need to do anything with the bios and it should work fine however i didnt see anything stated bluetooth capabilities so i can tell you for sure yet. If i have time later i can do some more looking for you and post back

Bluetooth is often a separate module in HPs, NOT part of the Wi-Fi card. My DV8 is like this.

Im foggyfroggy44 with the sandy bridge ati dv6

Changed to ninditsu so i can be recognized between osx86 forums.

Well i tried again with the dvx universal miid but i installed over it, these [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] packages:

Realtek81xx

Userbeast with my dsdt

Usb 3.0

Chameleon with ati support

Nullpower...

And the sandybridge helper 2.0 kernel

And i get panic but no more bootloop

Update reading through the verbose log,

I see something about apple power

Im foggyfroggy44 with the sandy bridge ati dv6

Changed to ninditsu so i can be recognized between osx86 forums.

Well i tried again with the dvx universal miid but i installed over it, these [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] packages:

Realtek81xx

Userbeast with my dsdt

Usb 3.0

Chameleon with ati support

Nullpower...

And the sandybridge helper 2.0 kernel

And i get panic but no more bootloop

Update reading through the verbose log,

I see something about apple power

Great job! You are making progress and sounds to me like you will soon crack this!

Bluetooth is often a separate module in HPs, NOT part of the Wi-Fi card. My DV8 is like this.

I thought this as well too however when i was testing a different wifi card in osx the card didnt work and i had no bluetooth at all it said card not available, when i replaced the card with a different model i then had bluetooth. Anyway to check for sure. Ill do some digging around and see what i can find..

Well i cant seem to find anything on it having bluetooth so im assuming you are correct mammoth, must have been some other reason my bt was not working when i had a different card installed?

I actually have a complete install, except audio does not function, i was just hoping your method, rather than tonymac would bring better results. Also of course ati graphics does not function properly, i get blank screen with no qe ci when iload 10.6.7 kexts. I see no qe ci when i use vnc from the dv6t to my other hackintosh, which runs 100%

Also for some reason my chameleon does not see my windows partition, but with my macdrive on windows, it sees my macintosh hd

OK! So I finally have OS X installed and am updated to 10.6.7. I am really happy and have a stable system with my LAN port working so that is what I am using right now. I do have one problem that I would like some help on though, I have no sound at all. I have done the enableaudio script and i came up saying process complete. Is there anything I could have missed or any .kexts I may need? if if there are any kexts can someone tell me where to find them?

Thank you verry much Mammoth and everyone else. I have tried to do this about a year or two ago and had no clue what I was doin (probably cuz I was like 12 or 13 and just learning about computers)

Now I am going to go and continue all the other steps to get Windows back on and set everything else up. Once again thank you!!!!!

OK! So I finally have OS X installed and am updated to 10.6.7. I am really happy and have a stable system with my LAN port working so that is what I am using right now. I do have one problem that I would like some help on though, I have no sound at all. I have done the enableaudio script and i came up saying process complete. Is there anything I could have missed or any .kexts I may need? if if there are any kexts can someone tell me where to find them?

Thank you verry much Mammoth and everyone else. I have tried to do this about a year or two ago and had no clue what I was doin (probably cuz I was like 12 or 13 and just learning about computers)

Now I am going to go and continue all the other steps to get Windows back on and set everything else up. Once again thank you!!!!!

Awesome news ChrispyPatt!

The audio issue may be DSDT related. We will work on it and see if we can get it going.

I will be busy all day tomorrow so I probably won't be able to do much, but when I can I will be here.

I thought this as well too however when i was testing a different wifi card in osx the card didnt work and i had no bluetooth at all it said card not available, when i replaced the card with a different model i then had bluetooth. Anyway to check for sure. Ill do some digging around and see what i can find..

Well i cant seem to find anything on it having bluetooth so im assuming you are correct mammoth, must have been some other reason my bt was not working when i had a different card installed?

Thanks for the info guys! Mammoth is correct, at least for my DV7. Went digging in hp online manuals, and found that the blue tooth is a separate module :) Pulled the broadcom 43225 card out.... and rebooted. I still had functional bluetooth in osx. Ordered an HP Compatible AR5BXB92 from ebay. I going to try just popping it in without the bios mod first, and see what happens. I'll give and update after it arrives.

Hello Mammoth,

first of all I wanted to thank You for your hard work!

I own the Core i3-equiped machine described in my signature and was able to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 using an unmodified DSDT.aml created in Ubuntu, the Generic MIIF and the legacy kernel. I can boot OS X 10.6.3 and play around with it, it seems to be stable so far. I even managed to get sound and ethernet working.

The only problem: I can *not* update to 10.6.6. I downloaded the combo update, replaced the com.apple.boot.plist with the one for 10.6.6, patched audio... But i'm getting kernel panics at the next boot, the appleintelcpupowermanagement seems to cause the freeze...

Do You have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Peter

Hello, would someone be able to give a suggestion on what to try?

I am able to get to osx install screen with 1.15 boot cd to make the MIID. I used the generic MIIF from the first page and a clean dsdt made in Ubuntu. When I try to install from the MIID I get kp within 10 seconds. A photo of the error is in post 115 of this thread from user wael. We both have a "CTO" version of a DVx with model number ending in AAR.

Thanks!

the appleintelcpupowermanagement seems to cause the freeze...

Maybe you could try installing the NullCPUPowerManagement kext from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] it disables the apple one and currently works on my desktop (not sure about the laptop in my specs, because my installation is not complete)

Hi Mammoth!

How're you?

Tried again to install this with the 1.5a version... so far have burn the 1.0, 1.5 and 1.5a versions having the same results... and I have the same machine as you do! (not trying the USB method, but the normal way with the CD boot).

CD boots perfectly, but then, when I insert the Retail 10.6.3 disc, I get:

HFS signature was not present.

Loading Darwin

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Can't find mach_kernel

and doesn't boots...

I've checked the disk and mach_kernel is there... I even burnt the disc using both, Leopard and Windows, with no difference.

Any clue? Thank you!!!

Hi All,

Alright, managed to get past that boot1: error.

Issue I have now is, after updating to 10.6.6, OS does not boot, it gets stuck at a line which says "System uptime in nanoseconds: 40294268705" With the x's being the time taken for it but it just stays there. This is for the 10.6.6 taptun kernel.

When I try to boot using the MIID which has the legacy kernel, I am able to boot into the system but my mouse and keyboard do not work. Neither do USB ports. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.