[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Does it work? Btw, where did you get that card from?

Found these on ebay. Have not received the card yet. Expecting it some time this week, got an email saying it's on the way. The HP Compatible one list some DVx's that it works native with. Does not list my DVx, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it does not work natively franky-402 said he has it working on his DVx with the BIOS Mod in the guides. Mammoth also said that any airport card will work, that's the other link.

Found this one to..... it's for a Dell, but it's the same chip set and a half mini card :P With the BIOS Mod ?

Atheros Half ar9280 wireless wifi n card 300m Dual-Band

I cannot confirm these work, because I have not received it yet, but franky-402 had luck with one. I ordered the "HP Compatible One".

Ive personally given up. Saving up for a new Macbook Pro. Heading for a 2012 refresh. Nice knowing everyone:)

What? I thought you had yours working? Didn't you just have a few issues left to resolve? I want to help everyone to eventually get their systems working but there are a lot of people, a lot of different machines, and each with various issues, so I can't help everyone individually at the moment. Once the larger issues are resolved (such as getting the majority of people and their machines at least running), THEN we will be able to focus on the finer issues such as audio, HDMI audio, etc. Then we will be able to produce solid MIIFs so that the next person who has that machine will have a very easy time installing. The rest of us are learning all of this, I am documenting it, so that when we get our next machines (or move to the new OS X Lion release), we will know how to beat it in record time.

Just take a break KiD KuN. Believe me, I've felt like you MANY times, but I'm no quitter and neither are you! You will see, we will get these machines working beautifully, just as my DV8 is nearly flawless.

:D

NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD FOR i5 AND i3 MACHINES NOW AVAILABLE

2011-04-03

For those with i5 and i3 machines that have NOT been able to get the v1.15a to work for you, this new v1.15a_i5i3 SHOULD work. Please test and post your results in the thread ASAP. I am determined to get your machines working for you.

Mammoth

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE

For all of you that have had trouble restoring Windows 7

The good news is that the fix for this is very simple. ;)

First, I must apologize as this issue has been the result of an error in the Windows 7 Guide.

On page 14, step p., I incorrectly directed you not to change any of the check boxes. We MUST UNCHECK the box "Restore original disk signature"! Restoring the original disk signature is what is blasting away either OS X or making Windows 7 not boot, or Chameleon not working... what ever your symptoms, this is most likely the cause.

I just did a complete test restore (as per the Windows 7 guide using the SRD method over the network) and worked flawlessly. I had an installation of Chameleon and OS X 10.6.7, and my reserved partition for Windows 7 (exactly as outlined in the guides), and after the restore completed I rebooted and was able to boot right into Windows 7. Afterwards, I restarted, then selected OS X, again no problems.

Again, sorry all. The Windows 7 guide was the last thing I was working on prior to the release and I was in a real rush to complete it. I did not have the time to go over it thoroughly or completely test each step as I normally prefer to do. So that guide still needs some work, and I will get to it as soon as I can.

PLEASE, for any of you that were having these issues, if you could please test this and let me know if it does solve your problems, that would be great.

Don't give up yet! Persevere! Don't give into Apple lol. Anyway, while you save up for your MBP just mess around with it till it works.

Hey Mammoth,

Quickly tested out the new v2.03 MIIF. Got into a command-line type interface for choosing the boot device. Chose the Snow Leopard install partition. Had a quick flash of the grey screen with the dark grey apple logo and it just rebooted. Not sure what's going on there xD

Anyway, off to bed. Will further test tomorrow

To ekwj:

I just arrived from the weekend. I have my system quite ok now. I wanted to go on playing and testing, so this is what I did:

1º partition my disk in 6 partitions: (I have an extra HD just for the OSX);

1 - Cham 1 GB

2 - Macintosh HD 160 GB

3 - nawcom mac 160 GB

4 - test1 - 140 GB --> this one is to play around

5 - test2 - 140 GB --> this one is to play around a bit more

6 - OSX Restore - the rest

2º Boot with the MIID + XIID and restore the CII_DV8_F.25.....dmg into the Cham partition and install Osx into the Macintosh HD following mammoth´s guide. Run the "Finish" script.

3º Boot with nawcom´s modCD + XIID and install osx in nawcom mac partition.

After this, I could run OSX from nawcom mac, but not from Macintosh HD.

4º Copy the update combo dmg in test1 (because I had no extra USB device) partition and after booting in nawcom mac, install the upgrade into the Macintosh HD partition, and change the com.apple.boot.list following mammoth´s guide. I did run the enable Audio script but it didn´t work ar at least, I had no sound.

Now my mammoth system is booting OK. All USB ports OK. No sound.

5º I am now going to upgrade to 10.6.7. I will post the results tomorrow.

To Mammoth,

tomorrow I wil try your new MIIF. I will post that too. This is exciting, and as blacosx says, "Don't forget to have fun and enjoy this hobby".

see you tomorrow.

SOLUTION FOUND TO NOT BEING ABLE TO UPDATE TO WINDOWS 7 SERVICE PACK 1

Hey everyone, I found the solution to not being able to update our Windows 7 partitions to SP1, and once again, the solution is easy. All we have to do is set the Windows 7 partition to "Active" in Disk Manager while booted into Windows 7. That's it. Do that, then you can install SP1.

Again, this will be a change in the forthcoming update to the Windows 7 guide. The box for "Set drive active (for booting OS)" in Norton Ghost must BE checked / selected before doing the restore.

;)

Again, please let's have some people try this to verify it.

Thanks!

Hi Mammoth,

Thanks for the hard work! For when you have a spare minute, could you please check this? Thanks!

Hi Mammoth!

How're you?

Tried again to install this with the 1.5a version... so far have burn the 1.0, 1.5 and 1.5a versions having the same results... and I have the same machine as you do! (not trying the USB method, but the normal way with the CD boot).

CD boots perfectly, but then, when I insert the Retail 10.6.3 disc, I get:

HFS signature was not present.

Loading Darwin

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Can't find mach_kernel

and doesn't boots...

I've checked the disk and mach_kernel is there... I even burnt the disc using both, Leopard and Windows, with no difference.

Any clue? Thank you!!!

Hi Mammoth,

Thanks for the hard work! For when you have a spare minute, could you please check this? Thanks!

That almost for sure has to be an issue with your OS X disc. Either it's a bad burn / copy, or it is not a true retail version. The only other thing I can think of is that you are not waiting long enough before pressing F5. The optical drive light must BE OFF and NOT blinking for a while before pressing F5.

I bet if you purchased a 10.6.3 retail disc from a store it would work right away. It's only $29.00.

:D

OH! You might try removing the 2nd hard drive!

To ekwj:

I just arrived from the weekend. I have my system quite ok now. I wanted to go on playing and testing, so this is what I did:

1º partition my disk in 6 partitions: (I have an extra HD just for the OSX);

1 - Cham 1 GB

2 - Macintosh HD 160 GB

3 - nawcom mac 160 GB

4 - test1 - 140 GB --> this one is to play around

5 - test2 - 140 GB --> this one is to play around a bit more

6 - OSX Restore - the rest

2º Boot with the MIID + XIID and restore the CII_DV8_F.25.....dmg into the Cham partition and install Osx into the Macintosh HD following mammoth´s guide. Run the "Finish" script.

3º Boot with nawcom´s modCD + XIID and install osx in nawcom mac partition.

After this, I could run OSX from nawcom mac, but not from Macintosh HD.

4º Copy the update combo dmg in test1 (because I had no extra USB device) partition and after booting in nawcom mac, install the upgrade into the Macintosh HD partition, and change the com.apple.boot.list following mammoth´s guide. I did run the enable Audio script but it didn´t work ar at least, I had no sound.

Now my mammoth system is booting OK. All USB ports OK. No sound.

5º I am now going to upgrade to 10.6.7. I will post the results tomorrow.

To Mammoth,

tomorrow I wil try your new MIIF. I will post that too. This is exciting, and as blacosx says, "Don't forget to have fun and enjoy this hobby".

see you tomorrow.

Do let us know how you go Elixz. I will be attempting to have a fresh installation updated to 10.6.7 tonight as well. However, I won't be using the latest MIIF as it doesn't work for me at the moment. As far as kernels go, it seems like Nawcom's legacy kernel is the only one working for me. I've tried taptun's 1063 and 1066 with no luck. Might try taptun 1067 and Nawcom's 10.6.7 kernel along with the 10.6.7 installation and will let you guys know if it works.

:wacko::) Any DSDT construction help with a DV6 i5 would be appreciated...

Thank You!!

HP DV6-3163cl (XG737UA#ABA) | Core i5-460M 2.53GHz | Intel HD Graphics | 15.6" 1366 x 768 display | 6GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 54k HD | Win7 Home Premium x64

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsuppor...odTypeId=321957

HP Pavilion dv6-3163cl Entertainment Notebook

CPU: Intel Core i5 M46 @ 2.53 GHz

BIOS: InSyde Version: F.13

Memory: Installed 6GB (2GB x 4GB) [Maximum 8GB] Type/Speed: DDR3/1067MHz

Audio: IDT 92HD81B1X @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [b-2]

Video: Intel HD Graphics

Wi-Fi: Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n

Optical: LightScribe Blu-ray DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Do let us know how you go Elixz. I will be attempting to have a fresh installation updated to 10.6.7 tonight as well. However, I won't be using the latest MIIF as it doesn't work for me at the moment. As far as kernels go, it seems like Nawcom's legacy kernel is the only one working for me. I've tried taptun's 1063 and 1066 with no luck. Might try taptun 1067 and Nawcom's 10.6.7 kernel along with the 10.6.7 installation and will let you guys know if it works.

Have you seen the new v.03 i5i3 MIIF? It should work for your machine as it DOES use the NOWCOM legacy_kernel.

;)

:wacko::) Any DSDT construction help with a DV6 i5 would be appreciated...

Thank You!!

HP DV6-3163cl (XG737UA#ABA) | Core i5-460M 2.53GHz | Intel HD Graphics | 15.6" 1366 x 768 display | 6GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 54k HD | Win7 Home Premium x64

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsuppor...odTypeId=321957

HP Pavilion dv6-3163cl Entertainment Notebook

CPU: Intel Core i5 M46 @ 2.53 GHz

BIOS: InSyde Version: F.13

Memory: Installed 6GB (2GB x 4GB) [Maximum 8GB] Type/Speed: DDR3/1067MHz

Audio: IDT 92HD81B1X @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [b-2]

Video: Intel HD Graphics

Wi-Fi: Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n

Optical: LightScribe Blu-ray DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer

Have you at least tried to create a clean DSDT using Ubuntu? If not, use the DSDT guide to do this. Then you should be able to use the new i5i3 MIIF to create a MIID that should at least get you installed.

Hi Mammoth,

Firstly, awesome thread. Really appreciate yours and the other guys time into making OSX work on our HP DVx machines. Past few days I've been going through the new v2.01 guides from scratch and have successfully updated to 10.6.7! So thank you! :)

Im now Part 5 of your guides "Customizing Guide" and have hit a wall.

Question to anyone that can help is:

10.6.7 is on the machine all working but with no lan support. I ran "pfix" and "repair disk permissions" on my Macintosh HD drive then rebooted (with lan cable connected)

But when in Networking it doesnt show my network card. Anyone know if there is a fix?

Could it be the version of pfix or something else that could be an issue?

Thanks in advance :wacko:

Hi Mammoth,

Yes I did follow the instructions and have made the clean DSDT with Ubuntu. I was under the impression I needed to edit the DSDT file to make it complete. I've been a mac since 1986, so the Linux/unix is a learning experience (which I'm looking forward to).

Thanks for time and effort providing this information to us!!

Have you seen the new v.03 i5i3 MIIF? It should work for your machine as it DOES use the NOWCOM legacy_kernel.

:)

Have you at least tried to create a clean DSDT using Ubuntu? If not, use the DSDT guide to do this. Then you should be able to use the new i5i3 MIIF to create a MIID that should at least get you installed.

Hi

I've attached the send me file that Mald0n requires to create a patch pack...

It contains a clean DSDT for my machine, but I don't have the technical knowledge to complete it myself. Any tips/instructions/help?

Thanks Mammoth, these guides are amazing!!!

My bios: Insyde F23

send_me.zip

Hi Mammoth,

Firstly, awesome thread. Really appreciate yours and the other guys time into making OSX work on our HP DVx machines. Past few days I've been going through the new v2.01 guides from scratch and have successfully updated to 10.6.7! So thank you! :)

Im now Part 5 of your guides "Customizing Guide" and have hit a wall.

Question to anyone that can help is:

10.6.7 is on the machine all working but with no lan support. I ran "pfix" and "repair disk permissions" on my Macintosh HD drive then rebooted (with lan cable connected)

But when in Networking it doesnt show my network card. Anyone know if there is a fix?

Could it be the version of pfix or something else that could be an issue?

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks OSXonDV6 for your kind words! I'm glad all of our efforts are being helpful. :)

I found this link for your machine:

http://www.bestdeal4u.com.au/laptop1of3/fi...ook-VW492PA.pdf

But it doesn't say which LAN card your machine has. If it's different than what's in my DV8 (Realtek RT8168D/8111D), then that is the reason it's not working.

You need to find out exactly which LAN controller is in your system.

Hi Mammoth,

Yes I did follow the instructions and have made the clean DSDT with Ubuntu. I was under the impression I needed to edit the DSDT file to make it complete. I've been a mac since 1986, so the Linux/unix is a learning experience (which I'm looking forward to).

Thanks for time and effort providing this information to us!!

Yes, in order to make it perfect, it will need to be modified, but you want to get it to a point where you can run in OS X, then we can add from there.

The making of the custom DSDTs is done by others such as MaLd0n and NIXin, I'm still a n00b in that department. Once we get enough people and machines where we can at least get OS X installed and working, then I will turn my attentions to working on getting more patch packs and DSDTs.

So go ahead and see if you can add your DSDT.aml to the MIID in the /Extra/ folder, and see if you can boot and install.

If you didn't know, I have recently created a new i5i3 boot CD and MIIF, so at least try that new MIIF if others aren't working for you.

Hi

I've attached the send me file that Mald0n requires to create a patch pack...

It contains a clean DSDT for my machine, but I don't have the technical knowledge to complete it myself. Any tips/instructions/help?

Thanks Mammoth, these guides are amazing!!!

My bios: Insyde F23

You're welcome! I'm glad you are making progress.

For the fastest response from MaLd0n, post your send_me file and your system's info in his thread, then let us know and post any patch packs he is able to create for you here. I will add them to our library.

Hi Mammoth

just to give an update on my system ,and to thank you again for the great Guide and installation !

After installing and updating system with 10.6.7 , everything seems to be working perfectly

1.- Audio works with the Enable Audio"" from the Maintenance folder

2.- Little card reader works with the Voodo Kext , even tho is 32 bits !

3.- Camera works natively

4.- WiFi works perfect after the Bios Update , I also ordered an HP WiFi compatible card , I am including the link just in case any body would like to get it . They have excellent service , and i only paid less than 15.00 including shipping , got in in less than 2 days . :)

WiFi card for HP

Including also the pictures from my installation

post-377047-1301891740_thumb.jpg

post-377047-1301891776_thumb.jpg

Hi Mammoth

just to give an update on my system ,and to thank you again for the great Guide and installation !

After installing and updating system with 10.6.7 , everything seems to be working perfectly

1.- Audio works with the Enable Audio"" from the Maintenance folder

2.- Little card reader works with the Voodo Kext , even tho is 32 bits !

3.- Camera works natively

4.- WiFi works perfect after the Bios Update , I also ordered an HP WiFi compatible card , I am including the link just in case any body would like to get it . They have excellent service , and i only paid less than 15.00 including shipping , got in in less than 2 days . :)

WiFi card for HP

Including also the pictures from my installation

Great news Oskr66!

Thanks for sharing your success and your great finds with everyone! :)

Everyone, I know I owe a lot of people responses; I will catch up with you. I just pop out a quick reply when I can. Busy working on all of this stuff like a DOG! :)

I REALLY want to see you i5 and i3 people making more progress so very eager to hear from those who are.

Congrats to all who are seeing progress!!!!

I have just downloaded it but I have to go to work. I will be trying in 8 hours time.

I still cann´t believe what you are doing to help us. Great thread, great method and even better support.

I have just downloaded it but I have to go to work. I will be trying in 8 hours time.

I still cann´t believe what you are doing to help us. Great thread, great method and even better support.

Thanks very much Elixz! I have a vision and I'm hoping if it's good enough, it will be helpful to a lot of people and can spread. I would really like to give back to the scene, and make things easier for all of us in the process!

Eagerly awaiting your results!

:)

Hey Mammoth,

I have quickly restored the v.03 MIIF onto my MIID as well as performing the commands to make it bootable. However, I get to a command-line version of chameleon after booting from it. Selecting the Mac OSX Snow Leopard installation sends me to a screen with the grey background + dark grey Apple logo. Not sure what's happening there. =S

2) Wifi on my Atheros AR5B95 doesn't work although I did get it showing up on my top bar once and it was able to find networks. After restarting my computer, it shows as airport off. So no idea what's happened there.

1) Sleep doesn't work, tried a sleepenabler kext as well as swapped from mode 3 to mode 0 for the sleep setting.

3) Sound isn't working, but it's worked before so it's prob just a matter of finding the right kext.

5) 2 out of 3 USB ports working. Two on the right works while the sole port on the left doesn't.

So yeah... looks like a lot of work. =[

1: i have the same problem... Will be probably DSDT related...

2: Try the attached LegacyAtheros.kext. Install with Kext Utility & Reboot.

3: Managed it to work with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the latest VoodooHDA.

5: Did you make any progress regarding the USB port on the left side?

I am having problems with my touchpad. I can not do a "single tap" (I do not mean the physical buttons, just a tap on the touchpad). It always gets inteprated as a long press, so a tap on the settings icon opens a menu (just like clicking with the right mouse button) and so on... This is really annoying and makes the machine unusable without an external mouse... Any ideas?

LegacyAtheros.kext.zip

Thanks OSXonDV6 for your kind words! I'm glad all of our efforts are being helpful. :huh:

I found this link for your machine:

http://www.bestdeal4u.com.au/laptop1of3/fi...ook-VW492PA.pdf

But it doesn't say which LAN card your machine has. If it's different than what's in my DV8 (Realtek RT8168D/8111D), then that is the reason it's not working.

You need to find out exactly which LAN controller is in your system.

Thanks Mammoth, I'll find out exactly what my lancard is.

I dont have win7 on my dv6 at the moment so ill have to restore from an backed-up image to get this info (unless there is another way to interogate through OSX?).

For your info though: Taptun posted a DSDT on another forum which I used under a previous working hackintosh installation and my lancard worked with this. Im still noobish with DSDTs (not up to that section in your guides) but if posting taptun's DSDT would help - then i can attach it to another post?

1: i have the same problem... Will be probably DSDT related...

2: Try the attached LegacyAtheros.kext. Install with Kext Utility & Reboot.

3: Managed it to work with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the latest VoodooHDA.

5: Did you make any progress regarding the USB port on the left side?

I am having problems with my touchpad. I can not do a "single tap" (I do not mean the physical buttons, just a tap on the touchpad). It always gets inteprated as a long press, so a tap on the settings icon opens a menu (just like clicking with the right mouse button) and so on... This is really annoying and makes the machine unusable without an external mouse... Any ideas?

1) Yeah was thinking the same. Will need to get help to get a DSDT sorted.

2) Thanks for the kext, will try this soon

3) Again, thanks for this. I remember having audio work with nawcom's boot CD however, I also remember the volume keys working but unable to change the volume.

5) As with the USBs, I have yet to figure it out as well. Will be sure to post on forums once I figure it out.

As with the issue with your touchpad, I'm having the opposite of what you're having. My mouse clicks are too short and therefore it causes my click to cancel. E.g. I click on a file menu item, the drop down shows up for awhile and then it disappears after a short while.

Quick question to all.

Would using a clean DSDT generated from Ubuntu be better than not using a DSDT at all?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.

On a side note, I am having weird issues with my MIID.

Overwriting my old MIID partition with the new v2.00.03 file doesn't seem to work. I get to the command-line Chameleon page. However, creating the new v2.00.03 MIID onto a new 4gb USB drive, it didn't seem to have any issues. Anyone have any idea? I did perform the stuff in terminal to make it bootable for both.

It would be a pain for me to reformat my 16gb USB along with my Snow Leopard image just to get it to work =[

Hello Mammoth,

I have it working (installed on a separate HD) but sound, HDMI (audio/video) and brightness weren’t working. Due to the sound sleep also had issues! I use those daily so I got really stressed out trying to get them to work since I really wanted to use my hackintosh as my main system!! And as for sound, my chip was different so I did try contact Taptun but seems he has been busy! If a legacyHDA for my laptop can be created by him them are sure HDMI audio and video can both be resolved. I am back and when you are willing to help me fine tune for the sound and all pls let me know as I would like to really use it as the main system!! Im back!

PS: Everyone and especially Mammoth thanks a lot for the motivation when I have just felt like quitting. Means much to me ;)

Also ekwj thanks alot! i will get this working ;)