[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hi Mammoth,

I provided my CLEAN DSDT for the Dv6122ea bu using Ubuntu 10.10.

I have not patched it with the Auto Patcher, will the Auto Patcher work under Ubuntu?

Thank you for your time.

All the best,

NSCXP2005

What do you patch in this kernel? is this just the lapic fix or there's something else?

As before ...

lapic fix

+ blacklisted kexts:

- Apple.driver.AppleIntelMeromProfile

- Apple.driver.AppleIntelNehalemProfile

- Apple.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile

+ if installing xcode:

- Apple.iokit.CHUDKernLib

to them not to do backups kexts

Taptun :)

Hi Mammoth!!! Thanks you and others for the great work!!! Attached is my Clean DSDT for my machine. DV7-3186Cl dsdt.aml.zip

I5-430M CPU

Video Geforce G105M

Sound IDT 92HD75B3X5

Realtek RTL8111/8168B

Bios F.1D

For those that have problem with the brightness app(like me), there is an app called SHADES that is a very good one and works with our machines..

New patching kernel 10.6.7

mach_kernel_10.6.7

Taptun :)

Thanks once again Taptun!!

:wub:

Hi everyone,

Hey, sorry, but I've been real busy lately. :(

I'm HOPING I can get some time tomorrow to work on some things and answer some of your questions and help you with your current issues. I have to be up at 5AM tomorrow, so I need to get to bed for now.

We'll work through these issues, it just takes a little time and patients.

:wacko:

Installed, upgraded to 10.6.6, will be trying out 10.6.7 (with taptun's updated kernel) soon! Patched DSDT attached.

The only problem I couldn't overcome had to do with reinstalling windows. I don't have ghost, so I did a fresh install of Windows7 x64 SP1 from usb. The install went fine. Booted into osx from MIID.Tried to follow P8 Technical Guide - Installing Chameleon from a MIID. When I rebooted, Chameleon popped up and I could boot to OSX. However Windows7 was nowhere to be seen. diskutil can see the windows partition. It is even still the active partition. Just no sign of it in chameleon.

Repaired Windows boot and tried again, with same results. Did this a couple of times. I pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

I have a similar problem here. I had another 320gb hdd to install OSX to, but even after successfully copying my w7 partition to a large enough partition on the spare (with Cham, OSX, and repair partitions) Cham doesn't see Windows at all. The original hdd I have still runs Windows fine.

I seem to remember in one of the guides it mentioned SP1 is an issue, but I also remember that was an issue when Windows had set up the 'System' partition as well. My working w7 hdd only has one partition, so I don't know if SP1 is still a problem or if this is completely unrelated now.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say this might just be a problem with Chameleon, but I'll take a look around and see if I can dig up anything.

In any case, great work Mammoth, taptun, NIXin, atlee, and all the others I'm forgetting! You've all done an awesome job, and just for something fun! I don't need my HP to run OSX, but you've all put so much effort and work into this, and just kept working and working and working. Great job, and take it easy! :P

[Edit] Just wanted to be clear that the attached DSDT was a patched DSDT, not original

dsdt.zip

Edited by nightblade097

Anyone knows if there exist drivers for my WIFI-Card ?

Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 AGN

As far as I know, no there are not. : (

I found this link, but I don't think it's legit; but you can check it out if you want:

http://www.softitem.com/driver-carte-wifi-...6200-agn-mac-os

Hey Mammoth,

The nawcom boot CD that I used can be found here. Nawcom Boot CD

This is the same Boot CD that atlee who has a DV6 3032tx used and managed to get a working system. Had to key in "rd(0,0) mod bin kernel" (something along those lines, can't remember it word for word) command to run OSX installation.

Ok, thanks. I'm looking into this now.

Ok, thanks. I'm looking into this now.

Hi mammoth!

I am now at the same point as ekwj. With nawcom's modCD I have just installed 10.6.3 in my primary disk. Only 1 processor/2 cores, but seems to run ok. No wifi. I wanted to confirm that my i5 behaves the same.

I now feel what you mention in your guide number 8.page 1: I just followed a method without knowing what it does and I am now a bit lost about it.

thanks for your help!!!!

Installed, upgraded to 10.6.6, will be trying out 10.6.7 (with taptun's updated kernel) soon! Patched DSDT attached.

I have a similar problem here. I had another 320gb hdd to install OSX to, but even after successfully copying my w7 partition to a large enough partition on the spare (with Cham, OSX, and repair partitions) Cham doesn't see Windows at all. The original hdd I have still runs Windows fine.

I seem to remember in one of the guides it mentioned SP1 is an issue, but I also remember that was an issue when Windows had set up the 'System' partition as well. My working w7 hdd only has one partition, so I don't know if SP1 is still a problem or if this is completely unrelated now.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say this might just be a problem with Chameleon, but I'll take a look around and see if I can dig up anything.

In any case, great work Mammoth, taptun, NIXin, atlee, and all the others I'm forgetting! You've all done an awesome job, and just for something fun! I don't need my HP to run OSX, but you've all put so much effort and work into this, and just kept working and working and working. Great job, and take it easy! :)

[Edit] Just wanted to be clear that the attached DSDT was a patched DSDT, not original

I can shed some light, but not fixable light. Does that make sense?

But either way, I have 2 x 320gb HD's. One has OS X, the other W7. Cham can see both. The onyl thing I can say is that I pulled 1 drive out, then installed W7 to the drive remaining. Put the other drive back in (making sure it's the primary ie number 1 drive position/cable) and then installed OS X + Cham partitions to that drive. Rebooted and tadah, cham just sees W7. Not sure why this is any different to your guys setup apart from the install sequence but it works...

@MAMMOTH:

I am experiencing frequent speaker popping sounds. I don't think MacPro is the correct thing for my machine as per smbios etc. How do l change this. Is it as simple as changing the name in boot.com.plist or do I need a specifically compiled smbios.plist for each and every "type" of mac??

@MAMMOTH:

I am experiencing frequent speaker popping sounds. I don't think MacPro is the correct thing for my machine as per smbios etc. How do l change this. Is it as simple as changing the name in boot.com.plist or do I need a specifically compiled smbios.plist for each and every "type" of mac??

You make this change in SMBIOS.plist on Cham.

Be sure to checkout the Technical guide, as I have already done several experiments with different settings.

Now, that being said, there may be a difference in the results for i7 vs. i5 vs. i3. This is something I have not been able to test. So if some is able to do such tests, please post your results.

EVERYONE

I know we have a lot of issues at the moment, so I want to let you know what my priority is:

#1 Getting i5 and i3 machines so they can boot and install using a MIID

#2 Sorting out why Windows 7 / OS X is getting whacked after they are both installed.

#3 ... I don't have a number 3 at the moment. If you have suggestion, let me know.

I want to get #1 and #2 solved, then we will see where we are at.

If there is anyone in the Los Angeles area with an i5 or i3 machine (I know this is doubtful), if I could work with the machine I could probably solve the issues very fast.

what are peoples battery life running osx, mine has been pretty much terrible, I have a fully charged battery and when i unplug the laptop about 15-20 minutes later im already down to 50 percent.. I know it cant be my battery as with win7 i can get about 1.5 hours running on high performance, Also for some reason if i set my win7 to anything but high performance it is really slow and laggy. This has been this way ever since i reinstalled win7 from a retail disk instead of hp software.

When the battery depletes like that im usually just browsing the web with safari with brightness about half way?? It does seem like it has dropped even faster after adding the new wifi card..

Also does anyone know what the 3 base peripheral cards are that are under the dropdown on the menu bar. I usually turn off the firewire card, but wasnt sure what the other three are for!

ALSO

I know many of you have recently posted for help on current issues. I will respond to at least some of you soon, right now I am focusing on priority #1 in hopes I can figure this out quick and get more people going.

Hi mammoth!

I am now at the same point as ekwj. With nawcom's modCD I have just installed 10.6.3 in my primary disk. Only 1 processor/2 cores, but seems to run ok. No wifi. I wanted to confirm that my i5 behaves the same.

I now feel what you mention in your guide number 8.page 1: I just followed a method without knowing what it does and I am now a bit lost about it.

thanks for your help!!!!

Can you (and others with i5 machines) try this?:

- Copy the legacy_kernel from the NOWCOM, Preboot.dmg to the root of your MIID

- Change com.apple.Boot.plist on you MIID in /Extra from the taptun kernel to the legacy_kernel

Then try booting (and installing if you get that far), and let me know the results.

Thanks.

what are peoples battery life running osx, mine has been pretty much terrible, I have a fully charged battery and when i unplug the laptop about 15-20 minutes later im already down to 50 percent.. I know it cant be my battery as with win7 i can get about 1.5 hours running on high performance, Also for some reason if i set my win7 to anything but high performance it is really slow and laggy. This has been this way ever since i reinstalled win7 from a retail disk instead of hp software.

When the battery depletes like that im usually just browsing the web with safari with brightness about half way?? It does seem like it has dropped even faster after adding the new wifi card..

Also does anyone know what the 3 base peripheral cards are that are under the dropdown on the menu bar. I usually turn off the firewire card, but wasnt sure what the other three are for!

On battery life, I have tested. It's possible the results are not accurate as Gsly is still working on the battery kept. You might try just letting it run until it powers off to test this theory.

On Win7, this is why I strongly advise keeping the HP version and NOT doing a clean retail install. You probably need to figure out which HP specific power management software and drivers are needed and install those; that might solve the problem.

On the three cards, you are probably talking about PCMCIA / PC Card related devices. Try looking in System Profiler to get more info on them.

Hi Mammoth,

I provided my CLEAN DSDT for the Dv6122ea bu using Ubuntu 10.10.

I have not patched it with the Auto Patcher, will the Auto Patcher work under Ubuntu?

Thank you for your time.

All the best,

NSCXP2005

Hi there NSCXP2005,

No, the Auto patcher runs in OS X, but people should create their clean DSDT in Ubuntu, then take that and in OS X use it with the patcher.

just something to add really quick, im not sure if anyone else here uses frostwire in mac but if you do has anyone noticed audio like cutting out then coming back, i know its not the files as ive burned them to disks and they are great, assuming its the audio drivers. also frostwire has closed unexpectedly about 3 times tonight, not sure if its poor coding or some underlying issue somewhere else.. i figured i would gather some other peoples input!! Otherwise loving osx so far got my wireless card to work so im really happy now!

I have no knowledge or experience with this; perhaps it is related to the SMsystemtype. Also you could try (if you are not already) running 10.6.7 with Taptun's new kernel and see if that's any different.

Hi Mammoth

Just wanted to say great tutorial! Thanks for all the work that was put into this. It makes it easy for Mac newbs like myself to get a Hac up and running. Your install method seems a lot more stable than the install I had before. Have not tested (everything), but seems to be running well.

Great! Glad to hear this. Now I really want to get to a point where those with i5 and i3s can say the same thing. :P

Came across a few things during the install:

* I used the DVx_02 MIIF for the install. I found that I couldn't (or don't know how) to add my DSDT to the CIIF.dmg, so it would be used on the first boot of the hdd. I had write permission issues.

No need to, and people should not try to, update the CIIF. I will be providing info for doing this in an upcoming guide, once all the hot issues have been resolved.

The way to do this is update a DSDT by placing it on the MIID in /Extra. Then once you have OS X installed, you can boot to the MIID again, then just copy the DSDT to /Cham/Extra/

If you're just talking about wanting to update the CIIF for better installs, that's part of creating new MIIFs, and again, I will be providing a guide on how to do this. :)

* As Stated by NIXon "Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that." The patch worked fine, except for naming my graphics card "nvidia GeForce GT 320M" instead of "230M". Easily fixed patch with txt editor.

Yes, that is the way to fix it. This is not an error in NIXin's patch pack, some machines, like NIXins, really do have a 320, while others, like ours, is the 230. According to NIXin, the 230s are actually better than the 320s

It's only aesthetic also, has no affect on performance, but chaining it to be correct is the way to go.

* I noticed that during the boot from my flash drive for initial partitioning and installation, I had a lan connection. The realtek kext was loaded and assigned an ip address (seen from lan tools screen). How ever on initial boot from hdd, the realtek kext was not loaded (no lan connection).

Yes, I am aware of this and is interesting. There MAY be a way to get the LAN card working without the RealtekR1000SL.kext, but someone will have to look into that. Would be great if so.

* There was no sound on initial boot and configuration.

I know these are both fixable later, and it appears to be a permission thing. After first boot I ran EnableAudio(from maint. folder) and pfix. After a reboot both sound and lan worked work fine. I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate a script that dose both things into the /Volumes/Cham/Finish command? Do you think it would work if you combined ChamExtUp, EnableAudio, and Finish together - then have that run at /Volumes/Cham/Finish? That way both would work on initial boot from hdd.

Other than above (and they were minor) the install of osx was very easy and error free.

When everything is correct, it WILL work that way for sound. You used the DVx MIIF, with no DSDT, so that is why sound did not work. Did you install with the v.02 MIIF? If not, that would be another reason why you did not have sound on install.

The only problem I couldn't overcome had to do with reinstalling windows. I don't have ghost, so I did a fresh install of Windows7 x64 SP1 from usb. The install went fine. Booted into osx from MIID.Tried to follow P8 Technical Guide - Installing Chameleon from a MIID. When I rebooted, Chameleon popped up and I could boot to OSX. However Windows7 was nowhere to be seen. diskutil can see the windows partition. It is even still the active partition. Just no sign of it in chameleon.

Repaired Windows boot and tried again, with same results. Did this a couple of times. I pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

As indicated in the guides, you can get Ghost for free. Just use the trial version, it works for what we need.

The Windows 7 issue is a new problem for v2.00. We didn't have this problem prior. I will be looking into this soon, and is fixable, I know.

I have no knowledge or experience with this; perhaps it is related to the SMsystemtype. Also you could try (if you are not already) running 10.6.7 with Taptun's new kernel and see if that's any different.

No i have not tried his new kernel, im actually going to do the update now and give it a whirl, just so were clear, i put the kernel in cham/extra then change the com.apple.plist and before i restart you run audio enabler right!!

No i have not tried his new kernel, im actually going to do the update now and give it a whirl, just so were clear, i put the kernel in cham/extra then change the com.apple.plist and before i restart you run audio enabler right!!

No, place the new kernel on the root / of your Macintosh HD drive. Rename the kernel to taptun1067_kernel (or download the new one I just posted in the FILES LIBRARY). Then just change in com.apple.Boot.plist:

taptun1066_kernel

to

taptun1067_kernel

UPDATED TESTING PROCEDURE

Hi mammoth!

thanks for your help!!!!

- Change com.apple.Boot.plist on you MIID in /Extra from the taptun kernel to the legacy_kernel

Then try booting (and installing if you get that far), and let me know the results.

Thanks.

i5 and i3 machines: PLEASE TEST THIS ASAP and then post your results.

Thanks.

i5 and i3 machines: PLEASE TEST THIS ASAP and then post your results.

I just tried and it seems to be working. It is now in the installation process (40 minutes to go), but with taptun kernel never got that far. When it finishes I will post how it goes.

Just 2 things:

--> I used rd(0,0)modbin_kernel instead of bt(0,1)taptun1063_kernel (I don´t know what this means, but in the installation with Nawcom´s cd it was the option required for legacy kernel, and also, it is like this in the preboot.dmg)

--> To test it quicker, I am doing it witouth the partitiones that you suggest. Tomorrow I will be doing it again properly.

Also, before trying this I had already upgraded to 10.6.6 following your guide, that is:

- with taptun kernel 10.6.6

- with your com.apple.bootlist (1066) renamed

- with your enable audio script

It seemed to be working, but I couldnt check properly because I read your post and wanted to try. I did have 2 errors during the installation:

- /system/library/extensiones/ATI4800Cotroller.kext & ATIRadeonx2000.kext

and the screen resolution didn´t look as good as with the 10.6.3. Tomorrow I will see again how it goes.

MAMMOTH: DID I SAY THANK YOU BEFORE? THANKS, THANKS, THANKS

got it installed, the system seems a lot slower, geekbench proves this dropping the score down about 2200 points. i ran uname -a and verified i am running the new kernel.

Franks-Mac-Pro:~ Franky$ uname -a
Darwin Franks-Mac-Pro.local 10.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Mon Mar 28 21:53:41 BST 2011; taptun:xnu-1504.9.37/BUILD/obj//RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

not sure why its saying 10.7.0 however, shouldnt it be 10.6.7??

Also mammoth i looked in system profiler and looked at the battery its showing the battery as having 1856mAh for some reason.. Cycle count is at 0 and health status is check battery which if i remember correctly you said thats just how it is for now.. My buddies phone has more power than my mac is seeing right now lol..

I just tried and it seems to be working. It is now in the installation process (40 minutes to go), but with taptun kernel never got that far. When it finishes I will post how it goes.

Just 2 things:

--> I used rd(0,0)modbin_kernel instead of bt(0,1)taptun1063_kernel (I don´t know what this means, but in the installation with Nawcom´s cd it was the option required for legacy kernel, and also, it is like this in the preboot.dmg)

--> To test it quicker, I am doing it witouth the partitiones that you suggest. Tomorrow I will be doing it again properly.

Also, before trying this I had already upgraded to 10.6.6 following your guide, that is:

- with taptun kernel 10.6.6

- with your com.apple.bootlist (1066) renamed

- with your enable audio script

It seemed to be working, but I couldnt check properly because I read your post and wanted to try. I did have 2 errors during the installation:

- /system/library/extensiones/ATI4800Cotroller.kext & ATIRadeonx2000.kext

and the screen resolution didn´t look as good as with the 10.6.3. Tomorrow I will see again how it goes.

MAMMOTH: DID I SAY THANK YOU BEFORE? THANKS, THANKS, THANKS

Hi Elixz,

A couple of things, I want everyone to test with the legacy_kernel FIRST... however if that doesn't work, then maybe trying the modbin_kernel could be a useful test.

Don't change anything else in com.apple.Boot.plist! Leave bt(x,x) AS-IS. Only change the name of the kernel.

got it installed, the system seems a lot slower, geekbench proves this dropping the score down about 2200 points. i ran uname -a and verified i am running the new kernel.

Franks-Mac-Pro:~ Franky$ uname -a
Darwin Franks-Mac-Pro.local 10.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Mon Mar 28 21:53:41 BST 2011; taptun:xnu-1504.9.37/BUILD/obj//RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

not sure why its saying 10.7.0 however, shouldnt it be 10.6.7??

Also mammoth i looked in system profiler and looked at the battery its showing the battery as having 1856mAh for some reason.. Cycle count is at 0 and health status is check battery which if i remember correctly you said thats just how it is for now.. My buddies phone has more power than my mac is seeing right now lol..

Hi Franky_402,

When you say "You got it installed", what did you do that allowed this? Did you try the legacy_kernel test?

No it's weird how Apple does it; 10.6.6 showed as "10.6", so that is normal and correct.

Yes, those are all comments can questions better suited for Gsly to address. I don't know much about the battery particulars. He did say there was more work needed though.

will i get support?

some files I compiled with kext list and dsdt

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=89967

I created the zip using "run_me" from MaLd0n's DSDT Auto-Patcher thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

Laptop Specs are in my sig

BIOS: InsydeH2O version F. 0A | Rev.3.5

To install Mac OS X, I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy from tonymacx86 and my retail 10.6.3 disc

and to retain boot, I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.4 and installing these packages:

*[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

*Chameleon 2 RC5 with Sandy Bridge by valv

*System definition macbook pro 8,1

Note: my motherboard chipset is intel hm65

running 10.6.3 snow leopard