[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Alright, managed to get past that boot1: error.

Issue I have now is, after updating to 10.6.6, OS does not boot, it gets stuck at a line which says "System uptime in nanoseconds: 40294268705" With the x's being the time taken for it but it just stays there. This is for the 10.6.6 taptun kernel.

When I try to boot using the MIID which has the legacy kernel, I am able to boot into the system but my mouse and keyboard do not work. Neither do USB ports. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Did you replace the com.boot.plist as instructed when finishing the 10.6.6 update? Try re-booting with the kernel flag taptun1063_kernel so you will be using the 10.6.3 kernel, will throw some errors but will work... then you can try diagnosing!

Hi Mammoth!

How're you?

Tried again to install this with the 1.5a version... so far have burn the 1.0, 1.5 and 1.5a versions having the same results... and I have the same machine as you do! (not trying the USB method, but the normal way with the CD boot).

CD boots perfectly, but then, when I insert the Retail 10.6.3 disc, I get:

HFS signature was not present.

Loading Darwin

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Can't find mach_kernel

and doesn't boots...

I've checked the disk and mach_kernel is there... I even burnt the disc using both, Leopard and Windows, with no difference.

Any clue? Thank you!!!

try change the com.boot.plist and make the kernel to load the mach_kernel in the extra folder of the miid, that is also why we are using usb. and you need the install dvd restored into a usb for the bootloader to recognize it.

try change the com.boot.plist and make the kernel to load the mach_kernel in the extra folder of the miid, that is also why we are using usb. and you need the install dvd restored into a usb for the bootloader to recognize it.

Thanks, but Mammoth had the same model as I do, and he even got this loading using the 1.0 release, without needing an USB drive. Then 1.5, 1.5b, and even 2.0 came to light to include options for other boxes (eg i5, i3) as I understand, but should be perfectly valid to load it with just the CD.

I have bought last hour a 16GB Pendrive to try this method, but is a lot of reading compared with what we had previously with the CD method. Will try to get in touch, but still, loading it from the CD should be easy for my box.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys! Mammoth is correct, at least for my DV7. Went digging in hp online manuals, and found that the blue tooth is a separate module ;) Pulled the broadcom 43225 card out.... and rebooted. I still had functional bluetooth in osx. Ordered an HP Compatible AR5BXB92 from ebay. I going to try just popping it in without the bios mod first, and see what happens. I'll give and update after it arrives.

Great, love to hear how it works out, this would be excellent information for the front page so everyone knows there options with wireless cards.

Hey Guys.

Im getting a KP on cd boot.

First i'll explain.

I have followed the guides and created my MIID, all is ok there. obviously with my machine not being a dv8 I dont have a proper DSDT.

the device wouldnt boot without the dsdt so I followed mammoths advice and created my DSDT.aml from the ubuntu live cd.

I placed this into my MIID but still get the same KP. As far as i can tell its the GFX driver thats flaking out on me.

Here is a screenshot of my KP.

kp.jpg

and here is a screen shot of my BIOS info (just in case it helps)

bios.jpg

I have attached my DSDT.aml just in case its something that someone can help me with straight off the bat.

Of course as i get this closer to fully working I will share this with others who have the same machine as me.

thanks for any assistance you can offer guys.

Best,

Brad

P.s. Just reaslised, I think im the longest running member in this thread. Cant believe how many members there are on this site now.

post-58320-1301706372_thumb.jpg

post-58320-1301706388_thumb.jpg

Did you replace the com.boot.plist as instructed when finishing the 10.6.6 update? Try re-booting with the kernel flag taptun1063_kernel so you will be using the 10.6.3 kernel, will throw some errors but will work... then you can try diagnosing!

Yupp, did replace the com.boot.plist and that's when it didn't wanna boot. I got that error with the taptun 1066 kernel. The taptun 1063 kernel would put my comp into an infinite boot loop like it did with the original 1.15a boot DVD so I had to use the legacy_kernel from Nawcom. Will have a look at Nawcom's boot and see what files in there I could use to help. Will report on how things go =D Thanks for the help Pablo.

Update:

After sticking with the Nawcom legacy_kernel. I have a working 10.6.6. Unfortunately taptun 1063 and 1066 doesn't work for my system. 1063 puts my laptop on an infinite boot loop and 1066 just would not boot. Mouse and keyboard works by using IOUSBFamily & IOUSBMassStorage kexts from 10.6.3. I placed them in C/E/E and ran ChamExtUp and it worked =]

Further Update:

Lotsa things not working. Will need lots of work to get this machine working properly. Below's a list of things that I know don't work at the moment.

1) Sleep doesn't work, tried a sleepenabler kext as well as swapped from mode 3 to mode 0 for the sleep setting.

2) Wifi on my Atheros AR5B95 doesn't work although I did get it showing up on my top bar once and it was able to find networks. After restarting my computer, it shows as airport off. So no idea what's happened there.

3) Sound isn't working, but it's worked before so it's prob just a matter of finding the right kext.

4) ATI GPU yet to be worked on. Again, this is a matter of getting the right kext as Atlee's done it.

5) 2 out of 3 USB ports working. Two on the right works while the sole port on the left doesn't.

So yeah... looks like a lot of work. =[

Ahh, very good point Peter_sm. I will post my BIOS.

;)

IT'S POSTED NOW!

;)

Update, I have shifted the WIFI card with my sons laptop and installed the hacked BIOS :D

And my new WIFI card is WORKING in OSX :D:D:D

Thanks Mammuth for the BIOS

Hi Mammoth,

thanks for the files and 2.0 version and installation guide.

2 questions...

1) Have you tried 10.6.7 ? Which kernel are you using for it?

2) Have you tried HDMI audio if it works or not in your hdmi tv/lcd? It works in windows here, but not in osx...

Thanks!

Mal

---

HP DV8-1190EL , i7 720QM, 8 gb ram ddr3-1333, geforce gt230 1 gb, 1 tb 2x500gb 7200

After sticking with the Nawcom legacy_kernel. I have a working 10.6.6. Unfortunately taptun 1063 and 1066 doesn't work for my system. 1063 puts my laptop on an infinite boot loop and 1066 just would not boot. Mouse and keyboard works by using IOUSBFamily & IOUSBMassStorage kexts from 10.6.3. I placed them in C/E/E and ran ChamExtUp and it worked =]

Which Kernel do you use with 10.6.6?

Hi,

Anyone see any strange on my boot message ????

Have a nice day all of you !

//Peter

Last login: Sat Apr  2 18:08:30 on console
/Applications/Utilities/bdmesg; exit;
peters-mac-pro:~ peter$ /Applications/Utilities/bdmesg; exit;
msr(204): platform_info 00030c00
msr(207): flex_ratio 00000000
CPU: Vendor/Model/ExtModel: 0x756e6547/0x1e/0x1
CPU: Family/ExtFamily:	  0x6/0x0
CPU: MaxCoef/CurrCoef:	  0x0/0xc
CPU: MaxDiv/CurrDiv:		0x0/0x0
CPU: TSCFreq:			   1596MHz
CPU: FSBFreq:			   133MHz
CPU: CPUFreq:			   1596MHz
CPU: NoCores/NoThreads:	 8/16
CPU: Features:			  0x000002ff
Attempting to read GPT
Read GPT
Reading GPT partition 1, type C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
Reading GPT partition 2, type 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
Reading GPT partition 3, type 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
Reading GPT partition 4, type EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7
Reading GPT partition 5, type 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist] 980 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/theme.plist] 2798 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/background.png] 966 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/logo.png] 10718 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_generic.png] 22700 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_generic_o.png] 22748 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_hfsplus.png] 25968 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_hfsplus_o.png] 25971 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_hfsraid.png] 26603 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_hfsraid_o.png] 26565 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_ext3.png] 25554 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_ext3_o.png] 25561 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_fat.png] 24399 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_fat_o.png] 24429 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_ntfs.png] 27227 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_ntfs_o.png] 27197 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_cdrom.png] 23564 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_cdrom_o.png] 22930 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_selection.png] 454 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_scroll_prev.png] 4566 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/device_scroll_next.png] 4381 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_boot.png] 182 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_verbose.png] 182 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_ignore_caches.png] 182 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_single_user.png] 182 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_memory_info.png] 180 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_video_info.png] 180 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_help.png] 180 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_verbose_disabled.png] 187 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_ignore_caches_disabled.png] 187 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_single_user_disabled.png] 187 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/menu_selection.png] 236 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/progress_bar.png] 349 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/progress_bar_background.png] 179 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/text_scroll_prev.png] 632 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/text_scroll_next.png] 650 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/font_console.png] 3499 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/font_small.png] 5525 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist] 232 bytes.
Setting boot-uuid to: 10B58F5D-C2F4-35C3-BE35-CDAE662F8822
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist] 479 bytes.
Hibernate image is too old by 234613 seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override
Loading Darwin 10.6
Loading kernel taptun1067_kernel
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/taptun1067_kernel] 4096 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/taptun1067_kernel] 5576596 bytes.
LoadDrivers: Loading from [bt(0,0)/Extra/Extensions.mkext]
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Extensions.mkext] 125660 bytes.
LoadDrivers: Loading from [/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext]
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext] 4096 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext] 18301836 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 55153 bytes.
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0
nVidia GeForce GT 230M 1024MB NVa5 [10de:0a28] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/SMBIOS.plist] 724 bytes.
Intel NHM IMC DRAM Controller [8086:d132] at 00:00.0
Frequency detected: 665 MHz (1330) Dual Channel 
 CAS:4 tRC:9 tRP:9 RAS:24 (4-9-9-24)
Slot: 0 Type 24 2048MB (DDR3 SDRAM) 1330MHz Vendor=Micron Technology
   PartNo=8JSF25664HZ-1G4D1D1 SerialNo=E74E21C0
Slot: 2 Type 24 4096MB (DDR3 SDRAM) 1330MHz Vendor=Hynix Semiconductor
   PartNo=HMT351S6BFR8C-H9N0 SerialNo=0943AC53
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU	   Q 720  @ 1.60GHz, family 0x6, model 0x1e
Patched DMI Table
Found SMBIOS System Information Table 1
Customizing SystemID with : 434e4630-3433-3148-334d-6431505d2436
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 55153 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
Found ACPI CPU: CPU0
Found ACPI CPU: CPU1
Found ACPI CPU: CPU2
Found ACPI CPU: CPU3
Found ACPI CPU: CPU4
Found ACPI CPU: CPU5
Found ACPI CPU: CPU6
Found ACPI CPU: CPU7
SSDT with CPU C-States generated successfully
P-States: min 0x7, max 0xd
SSDT with CPU P-States generated successfully
RSDT: Added 2 SSDT table(s)
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
Added 2 SSDT table(s) into XSDT
Starting Darwin x86_64
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/Themes/Default/boot.png] 6461 bytes.

logout

[Process completed]

Hi Mammoth,

thanks for the files and 2.0 version and installation guide.

2 questions...

1) Have you tried 10.6.7 ? Which kernel are you using for it?

2) Have you tried HDMI audio if it works or not in your hdmi tv/lcd? It works in windows here, but not in osx...

Thanks!

Mal

---

HP DV8-1190EL , i7 720QM, 8 gb ram ddr3-1333, geforce gt230 1 gb, 1 tb 2x500gb 7200

i know mammoth and others are running 10.6.7 with great results, Taptun has posted a new kernel for 10.6.7, i think mammoth has posted it to the first page. make sure when you update you change the com.apple.boot.plist to read the new kernel and place the new kernel in the root of your macintosh hd..

I think there have been problems with the hdmi out, i havent been able to test yet but will be trying this later on this weekend and ill post my results on here!

Hey everyone!

I'm planning to do some work today on some of our issues. I'm really pleased to hear we are now making progress for i5 and i3 owners! :)

================================

EVERYONE

Try SKIPPING installing 10.6.6 and INSTEAD, go straight to updating from 10.6.3 to 10.6.7. This is especially true for i5 and i3 users. 10.6.7 has a lot of updates i5 and i3 CPUs AND... ATI GPUs! Please try this and post your results. I am going to be updating the guides to reflect this.

Today I will be working on:

- An updated 1.15a_i5i3 boot CD for those with i5 and i3 machines (it's actually almost ready) :(

- A new generic MIIF that uses the NOWCOM legacy kernel for i5 and i3 (and maybe others).

- Responding to your posts. :D

Today I will be working on:

- An updated 1.15a_i5i3 boot CD for those with i5 and i3 machines (it's actually almost ready) ;)

Sweet, i have a dv6 3006tx..

Hopefully that will fix the issues I have.

Good work MAM!

QUOTE (ekwj @ Mar 31 2011, 05:18 AM)

Installation was all fine and well, followed the full instructions up to where it said to remove all devices, I managed to remove my USB mouse but obviously the MIID/XIID USB had to stay connected since OSX is being installed off it.

Actually you can, and should eject the MIID at that point, and that step is mainly to help protect the MIID. At that point, it's all loaded in memory so you can eject it.

Ooops, OK, I just realized sometimes it will NOT allow you to eject it. So you are correct.

So if it will let you, good, but if not, just remove them once the machine is either off or before it starts booting up.

UPDATED GUIDES AND MIIFs NOW AVAILABLE

2011-04-02

Hey everyone! The guides have been updated for going from 10.6.3 straight to 10.6.7 during the installation procedure! Also, ALL of the MIIFs have now been updated for 10.6.7 too!

The bonus: BRAND NEW MIIF CREATED FOR i5i3 MACHINES SO TRY IT OUT!

Mammoth

@Mammoth, Thank you sooooooo much for this guide!!!!!!!!! I finally got everything working! My brother's broken laptop had a compatible wifi card so i plopped that in and used ur BIOS hack to get it working and then I finally got the right kexts to get my sounds working and now I think I will never use my Windows partition again! Once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! without you and everyone else I would have been able to think about getting this to work! :(

hi,

thanks for new update! I have 10.6.7 now too...

I wanted to ask a couple questions :

1) i have a strange problem with my dv8... (not due to recent updates, it's a while it's happening): sometimes it happens that my wifi card loses connection to the dv8 laptop and i see the wifi button becoming red . It may happen after 1 hour of operation, or sometimes after less and i guess it's happening after the laptop have resumed from sleep.

The wifi card is a broadcom 4315 card that seems to work fine even in 10.6.7 without any mod, just the bios mod for bypassing whitelist. If i try to press the button to become blue again, it continues asking me for wifi password and trying to disable and enable airport from osx menu (near battery indicator in status bar), i cannot activate it through the menu any more. Rebooting fixes it . Do you have such problem too ? Do you know how can i fix it ?

2) Have you noticed that, after resuming from sleep, the machines behaves in a more strange way ? For example such wifi strange behaviour, and for me other things too... like the system cannot go any more to sleep automatically after has been resumed from sleep once.

Thanks!

Mal

hi,

thanks for new update! I have 10.6.7 now too...

I wanted to ask a couple questions :

1) i have a strange problem with my dv8... (not due to recent updates, it's a while it's happening): sometimes it happens that my wifi card loses connection to the dv8 laptop and i see the wifi button becoming red . It may happen after 1 hour of operation, or sometimes after less and i guess it's happening after the laptop have resumed from sleep.

The wifi card is a broadcom 4315 card that seems to work fine even in 10.6.7 without any mod, just the bios mod for bypassing whitelist. If i try to press the button to become blue again, it continues asking me for wifi password and trying to disable and enable airport from osx menu (near battery indicator in status bar), i cannot activate it through the menu any more. Rebooting fixes it . Do you have such problem too ? Do you know how can i fix it ?

2) Have you noticed that, after resuming from sleep, the machines behaves in a more strange way ? For example such wifi strange behaviour, and for me other things too... like the system cannot go any more to sleep automatically after has been resumed from sleep once.

Thanks!

Mal

That may be the common "static" problem that afflicts DV8 models. Apparently the ribbon cable that connects the "touch" buttons is prone to static charges jumping and conducting through it, it causes a random "activation" of buttons and regularly turns the wifi off. If you google it you'll find lots of threads about it. It happened to me. Had to disassemble and insulate the entire cable with tape :wacko:

Thanks for the info guys! Mammoth is correct, at least for my DV7. Went digging in hp online manuals, and found that the blue tooth is a separate module :wacko: Pulled the broadcom 43225 card out.... and rebooted. I still had functional bluetooth in osx. Ordered an HP Compatible AR5BXB92 from ebay. I going to try just popping it in without the bios mod first, and see what happens. I'll give and update after it arrives.

Does it work? Btw, where did you get that card from?

Ive personally given up. Saving up for a new Macbook Pro. Heading for a 2012 refresh. Nice knowing everyone:)

Don't give up yet! Persevere! Don't give into Apple lol. Anyway, while you save up for your MBP just mess around with it till it works.

Hey Mammoth,

Quickly tested out the new v2.03 MIIF. Got into a command-line type interface for choosing the boot device. Chose the Snow Leopard install partition. Had a quick flash of the grey screen with the dark grey apple logo and it just rebooted. Not sure what's going on there xD

Anyway, off to bed. Will further test tomorrow