[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hmmmmmmmmm very strange. I did the BIOS patching as you said and just installed my new WiFi card but upon reboot it says the wireless network device is unsupported and to remove it ........

Is my machine different because it's a DV8-1110ea ??? F.25 bios ........ am very confused ;)

Hey Mammoth.

I appreciate how busy you must be, just wondering if you can offer any comments on my boot issue in my post back on page 12.

I attached the image of my screen there.

looks like ATI driver crashing.

I'm kinda stuck at this point as i cant even install. any thing i can try out dude?

Thanks for your hard work so far aswell mate, it's appreciated.

Best

Brad

Quick question to all.

Would using a clean DSDT generated from Ubuntu be better than not using a DSDT at all?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.

On a side note, I am having weird issues with my MIID.

Overwriting my old MIID partition with the new v2.00.03 file doesn't seem to work. I get to the command-line Chameleon page. However, creating the new v2.00.03 MIID onto a new 4gb USB drive, it didn't seem to have any issues. Anyone have any idea? I did perform the stuff in terminal to make it bootable for both.

It would be a pain for me to reformat my 16gb USB along with my Snow Leopard image just to get it to work =[

We need to always erase the MIID partition when updating with a new MIIF. You don't have to whipe out the entire device (i.e. not the XIID), just the MIID partition.

:)

Hello Mammoth,

I have it working (installed on a separate HD) but sound, HDMI (audio/video) and brightness weren’t working. Due to the sound sleep also had issues! I use those daily so I got really stressed out trying to get them to work since I really wanted to use my hackintosh as my main system!! And as for sound, my chip was different so I did try contact Taptun but seems he has been busy! If a legacyHDA for my laptop can be created by him them are sure HDMI audio and video can both be resolved. I am back and when you are willing to help me fine tune for the sound and all pls let me know as I would like to really use it as the main system!! Im back!

PS: Everyone and especially Mammoth thanks a lot for the motivation when I have just felt like quitting. Means much to me :)

Also ekwj thanks alot! i will get this working :)

Excellent! It's going to take a little time (but I don't think a lot) for us to get through these issues.

I noticed on MaLd0n's page (see our Auto Patcher Library for a link to his page) that he has A BUNCH of audio related files! He even has patching commands like the one I'm using in our MIIFs, but for other audio chips! He might be able to help get one for your if not already there.

Hmmmmmmmmm very strange. I did the BIOS patching as you said and just installed my new WiFi card but upon reboot it says the wireless network device is unsupported and to remove it ........

Is my machine different because it's a DV8-1110ea ??? F.25 bios ........ am very confused ;)

OK, you have confirmed what I have been trying to get someone to confirm for a while now. The procedure I put together was a short-cut to the longer, more cumbersome procedure. It WILL work... I'm just going to have to modify the instructions a bit, so hang tight.

This is now a high priority and I will get to this corrected very soon.

Hey Guys.

Im getting a KP on cd boot.

First i'll explain.

I have followed the guides and created my MIID, all is ok there. obviously with my machine not being a dv8 I dont have a proper DSDT.

the device wouldnt boot without the dsdt so I followed mammoths advice and created my DSDT.aml from the ubuntu live cd.

I placed this into my MIID but still get the same KP. As far as i can tell its the GFX driver thats flaking out on me.

I have attached my DSDT.aml just in case its something that someone can help me with straight off the bat.

Of course as i get this closer to fully working I will share this with others who have the same machine as me.

thanks for any assistance you can offer guys.

Best,

Brad

P.s. Just reaslised, I think im the longest running member in this thread. Cant believe how many members there are on this site now.

Hi BradHolland,

Yes, sorry, and sorry to everyone else who I haven't gotten back to yet. VERY busy, but will get back to you all little by little.

I see a strange message I've never seen before in your KP, "** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **"

Do you have some kind of PC-Card plugged in? remove, discconect as many peripherals as possible.

Have you tried with the posted DV5 MIIF? That one is for a Core2 Duo machine also. Try the Generic version and add your DSDT to it. All of the new v.03 MIIFs now use 10.6.7, which is more ATI/AMD GPU friendly, so make sure you are using that version. You could also try the new v1.15a_i5i3 Boot CD, which is more of a "Safe boot" configuration.

Try all of that and let us know the results.

Got my HP Compatible AR5BXB92 wifi card today. Popped it in ..... "Unsupported device" :P Tried to do the BIOS Mod with the same results as pablo101. Tried a few times with the same result. Decided to check out the link to www.bios-­‐mods.com from the guide. To my supprise, there was an already unwhitelisted BIOS

for my DVx. sp50586 vF.1D. Updated my BIOS, booted into OSX and was greeted by a new network connection ;) Airport sees both the 2.4 and 5 GHz feeds from my router. Connected to the 5 GHz flawlessly. After speed/tweak tests at DSLReports, the card is working to it's full potentional ;)

Booted up Windows7, a driver was installed automatically. Connected with no problems at 300.0 Mbps ;) Performed same tests as above. Again the card is working great!

Here is a link for those that use the same BIOS. White list removal thread This was created for a dv6t-2000 cto, but as my DVx uses the same BIOS it worked great! Should work on any DVx using BIOS sp50586 ver. F.1D

On another note I checked out the above BIOS vs My Modded(by Guide) BIOS in WinHex. There is a lot of difference! The one I download fixed my wifi issues, but I did not learn anything. I would still like to learn to mod the BIOS myself. I wonder if this fails because of different BIOS versions. Does anyone who successfully modded their BIOS have a different BIOS version then Mammoth? There is a good read about this whole process here General method to remove whitelist from Insyde BIOS.

Thanks to Mammoth and everybody else here, the only thing that is not working on my DVx is the internal pci-e card reader. A USB card reader works great, and for as often as I use it... I can live with that -_-

Hey all,

So the new MIIF works (kinda) for my i5. It installed great and booted great except there are some strange issues with the keyboard and there is no trackpad available so you better have a usb mouse handy. I did us a dsdt made for me by mald0n. That may be why I went as far as I did. I have attached the dsdt that I am using. I beleive it was made from the bios I had on before I upgraded my dv6-2170us to Insyde F1.c

dsdt.neite.zip

I went through the whole welcome stuff with just tab and the spacebar(only thing that worked for enter).

I got my bluetooth mouse connected and it works great.

I did the update (10.6.7 combo) with all the instructions and now I get stuck trying to boot up. It sticks at

DMOS has arrived

Airport: Link Up on en0

Airport: RSN handshake complete on en0

(I am using an atheros card and have done the bios whitelist)

I have no sound and cant get any other resolution then the {censored} 1064Xwhatever it is. Anyone found a way to force this? Some of us only have those dreaded intel hd graphics. :-(

The RSL1000 is not working for my machine either. I found one that did last time I installed but it was a random one. I will have to find it again and post for others with similar issues.

Will play more.

Keep up the great work Mammoth!!

dsdt.neite.zip

I went through the whole welcome stuff with just tab and the spacebar(only thing that worked for enter).

I got my bluetooth mouse connected and it works great.

I did the update (10.6.7 combo) with all the instructions and now I get stuck trying to boot up. It sticks at

DMOS has arrived

Airport: Link Up on en0

Airport: RSN handshake complete on en0

(I am using an atheros card and have done the bios whitelist)

I have no sound and cant get any other resolution then the {censored} 1064Xwhatever it is. Anyone found a way to force this? Some of us only have those dreaded intel hd graphics. :-(

The RSL1000 is not working for my machine either. I found one that did last time I installed but it was a random one. I will have to find it again and post for others with similar issues.

Will play more.

Keep up the great work Mammoth!!

Hey,

Are you currently using taptun's kernel? As I have had issues trying to boot with any of taptun's kernels on my machine. I have had to use the original legacy_kernel from Nawcom in order to boot into 10.6.6 previously. So that may be something that you could look into.

Hey,

Are you currently using taptun's kernel? As I have had issues trying to boot with any of taptun's kernels on my machine. I have had to use the original legacy_kernel from Nawcom in order to boot into 10.6.6 previously. So that may be something that you could look into.

Come to think of it the way i got 10.6.6 run last time was with the qoopz kernel for 10.6.0. You may be on to something here. I wont be able to test it until late tomorrow but I will look forward to seeing if that gets me in.

Thanks for the tip :D

What have used to get your ethernet up? I cant find the one I used before.

Also did you have to use voodoo for your trackpad and audio? I havent found a way around them on my machine..... Yet.

Come to think of it the way i got 10.6.6 run last time was with the qoopz kernel for 10.6.0. You may be on to something here. I wont be able to test it until late tomorrow but I will look forward to seeing if that gets me in.

Thanks for the tip :D

What have used to get your ethernet up? I cant find the one I used before.

Also did you have to use voodoo for your trackpad and audio? I havent found a way around them on my machine..... Yet.

I currently do not have networking working yet, both LAN and WiFi. I've been using an older laptop for internet research and etc.

Same goes with audio, haven't had it working but if you scroll up, Pio has mentioned that he used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with success so you could try that. As for trackpad, I'm not sure if I have Voodoo PS/2 enabled or not but what I do know is that I need to perform the USB rollback of the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBStorage.kext (can't remember their exact names off the top of my head but you should be able to find them). From 10.6.6 to 10.6.3 kexts. So yeah, hope that helps.

Hey all,

So the new MIIF works (kinda) for my i5. It installed great and booted great except there are some strange issues with the keyboard and there is no trackpad available so you better have a usb mouse handy.

dsdt.neite.zip

That happended to me as well (the keyboard and tracpad not working issue) but I couldn´t test much because I had to go t a funeral of a great Macintosh fan. I just booted with the new MIID and the XIID and got to the language selection screen. I will be trying again this afternoon with the new MIID.

But appart from that, I have 2 partitions with OSX:

- one with mammoths method, 10.6.7, no internet and no sound but all USBs working. The only problem I had to install this one was that when I installed the 10.6.3, it didn´t boot so I had to use the other one in order to upgrade to 10.6.6, and thin I coudl boot OK. Also, the Enable audio scriopt didn´t work for me becasuse I have no sound.

- one with nawcom's with 10.6.3 with internet but only left USBs working. I have this one to allow me to boot in case of problems with the other one, and to compare both.

So this means that it has to be possible to have it all working on the same system.

I am not doing anything with DSDT yet but as we have a similar system (ekwj, neite and Himura84) we can work on it together with mamoth and DSDT experts later, after we are all at the same point.

Got my HP Compatible AR5BXB92 wifi card today. Popped it in ..... "Unsupported device" :( Tried to do the BIOS Mod with the same results as pablo101. Tried a few times with the same result. Decided to check out the link to www.bios-­‐mods.com from the guide. To my supprise, there was an already unwhitelisted BIOS

for my DVx. sp50586 vF.1D. Updated my BIOS, booted into OSX and was greeted by a new network connection :D Airport sees both the 2.4 and 5 GHz feeds from my router. Connected to the 5 GHz flawlessly. After speed/tweak tests at DSLReports, the card is working to it's full potentional ;)

Booted up Windows7, a driver was installed automatically. Connected with no problems at 300.0 Mbps :D Performed same tests as above. Again the card is working great!

Here is a link for those that use the same BIOS. White list removal thread This was created for a dv6t-2000 cto, but as my DVx uses the same BIOS it worked great! Should work on any DVx using BIOS sp50586 ver. F.1D

On another note I checked out the above BIOS vs My Modded(by Guide) BIOS in WinHex. There is a lot of difference! The one I download fixed my wifi issues, but I did not learn anything. I would still like to learn to mod the BIOS myself. I wonder if this fails because of different BIOS versions. Does anyone who successfully modded their BIOS have a different BIOS version then Mammoth? There is a good read about this whole process here General method to remove whitelist from Insyde BIOS.

Thanks to Mammoth and everybody else here, the only thing that is not working on my DVx is the internal pci-e card reader. A USB card reader works great, and for as often as I use it... I can live with that ;)

Hey dgrx, thats great news with your hackintosh. Seems as though you have a stable system! It gives us all "hope" :)

Quick question: I updated my BIOS via HP website to Insyde vF.1D - and just wondering:

1. Are you using a "hack" of this BIOS to get your WiFi working with your hackintosh? Or is it the official sp50586 vF.1D download from HP?

2. Just to confirm, your bought the Atheros AR9280 AR5BXB92 card

Thanks mate in advance :)

Hey dgrx, thats great news with your hackintosh. Seems as though you have a stable system! It gives us all "hope" ;)

Quick question: I updated my BIOS via HP website to Insyde vF.1D - and just wondering:

1. Are you using a "hack" of this BIOS to get your WiFi working with your hackintosh? Or is it the official sp50586 vF.1D download from HP?

2. Just to confirm, your bought the Atheros AR9280 AR5BXB92 card

Thanks mate in advance ;)

Hey OSXonDV6

1. I am using a whitelist hacked BIOS of sp50586 vF.1D. Just follow this link White list removal thread, to download the hacked BIOS. It's a few post down named "HP DV6_DV7_INTEL_sp50586_363CF1D_no_whitelist.zip". As I see you have a HP DV6-2000tx and the same BIOS, these hacked BIOS should work for you as well :).

2. That is correct, Atheros AR9280 AR5BXB92. During my travels around ebay, I found two versions of this card:

HP Compatible AR5BXB92

New Apple Original wireless wifi card Atheros AR5BXB92

I bought the "HP Compatible AR5BXB92" one. It may(?) work native for some DVx machines but not mine. It lists a few in the ebay post it is supposed to be compatible with. With the above hacked BIOS I can confirm that card works great in OSX and Windows7.Both OSX and Windows7 seen it right away...all I had to do was connect to my router :(

Hope that helps, and you have the same luck...

Hey,

I think you all may be on to the answer here with the kernel.

@Taptun

Do you know of a reason / way why this might be and if there is a way to create a kernel that will work for i5 / i3 machines?

i need dsdt for HP dv6-3322el, i can't find it, please someone can help?

are 2 weeks i'm trying to have mac on this notebook, i'm going mad.

thanks in advance.

EDIT: if you need my clean dsdt i can post it, should only follow the guide on dsdt right?

Just to report I posted in the http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Gene...rom-Insyde-BIOS thread with a link to my bios. Just flashed with the bios somebody has kindly modified for me, eureka it works :) now using that card i bought ;)

Hi pablo101,

Did you use the insydeflash in the file itself to flash the bios or some other utility to do it.

I am asking cos I wanna know if it works on x64 bit windows fine or not.Just to be sure!!!

@Piotrekk

I've managed to install 10.6.7 and this is what I've found to have worked so far.

1) As stated in your earlier post, the latest VoodooHDA from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works.

2) All 3 USB ports work (YAY!) I did a USB rollback via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but am unsure if it was necessary. (also elixz did get it working before me so kudos to him for mentioning it earlier)

@Piotrekk

I've managed to install 10.6.7 and this is what I've found to have worked so far.

1) As stated in your earlier post, the latest VoodooHDA from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works.

2) All 3 USB ports work (YAY!) I did a USB rollback via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but am unsure if it was necessary. (also elixz did get it working before me so kudos to him for mentioning it earlier)

I now have ethernet working. I don´t really know anythig about kexts, but as I had internet in the Nawcom system, I copied the IONetworkingFamily.ketx from the nawcom's /Extra/Extensions to the Cham partition, and it seems to work.

Try it just in case. It worked for me.

Also, why does taptun's 10.6.7 kernel work for me? I also have an i5.

Just to report I posted in the http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Gene...rom-Insyde-BIOS thread with a link to my bios. Just flashed with the bios somebody has kindly modified for me, eureka it works :P now using that card i bought :)

Awesome, and congrats!

People, once I get caught up on some things, I DO plan on gathering up everyone's submitted DSDTs and BIOS' and posting them in our libraries. Main focus right now is to get all of our i5 and i3 people working, at least at a base level, then focus on the finer things. We ARE getting closer.

Remember, unfortunately, DSDT is NOT my strong suit, so we all must rely on others for help with this.

I now have ethernet working. I don´t really know anythig about kexts, but as I had internet in the Nawcom system, I copied the IONetworkingFamily.ketx from the nawcom's /Extra/Extensions to the Cham partition, and it seems to work.

Try it just in case. It worked for me.

Also, why does taptun's 10.6.7 kernel work for me? I also have an i5.

Elixz, you took the words right out my post! :P

We need everyone with i5s (and i3s) to verify this. IF you can get 10.6.7 installed, then can you boot up with Taptun's taptun1067_kernel? I THINK the answer should be YES (and I hope that it is).

If so, here is why: It's not an 'issue' with Taptun's kernels but with Apple's kernels. When we first started getting OS X to work on our DV8 machines, we discovered that 10.6.0, 10.6.1, and 10.6.2 were COMPLETELY incompatible, even after being hacked. They flat out lacked the code to support the i7 CPUs. BUT 'magically' with the release of 10.6.3, i7 support was added. We were further blessed as Apple also released 10.6.3 as a Retail Installation DVD.

Apple released i7 based Macs FIRST, and has only recently released i5 (and I don't know about i3) based Macs. This may explain why Taptun's .3, .4, .5, and .6 kernels were not working. They lacked the CPU support code.

I thought there was support for i5 and i3 in 10.6.6, but am not sure about this. You could test this by trying to boot with Apple's VANILLA 10.6.6 using the boot flags:

cpus=1 busratio=xx (where xx is the CORRECT bus ratio for your particular CPU)

Of course, you may conduct this same test with Apple's VANILLA 10.6.7 (mach_kernel) too.

If your machine boots, the code support is in the kernel. If you get boot loops, then it's not in that kernel for your CPU.

I will post some links on page 1 to some bus ratio charts.

This is priority number 1 people; once we get this resolved, we are moving on to better things.

ANOTHER NOTE:

Eventually, you should NOT have to add other kext files (such as IONetworking), Trackpad / mouse support kexts, AppleHDA kexts, etc. PLEASE remember to look at these as "crutches" or temporary quick fixes, just to get quick support for the features you want NOW. These are crude workarounds. Once we are able to generate fully functional DSDTs AND get you running on a fully functional kernel, most of these should go away. Our goal should ALWAYS be to achieve the cleanest running systems possible. The cleaner (meaning more close to being vanilla), the fewer files you will have update at each point release, the fewer problems you will have, and the faster your system will perform.

:)

i'm using snow leopard 10.6.6 but when i insert the usb drive disk utility doesn't recognize it.

missing something?

You currently have the partial working USB ports issue. Which kernel are you running on? Try each USB port; hopefully you can find one that works.

Also, find a way to get on to 10.6.7, I am thinking that should work (see my previous post).

You currently have the partial working USB ports issue. Which kernel are you running on? Try each USB port; hopefully you can find one that works.

Also, find a way to get on to 10.6.7, I am thinking that should work (see my previous post).

i've tried another usb port and finally it works.

i'm using 10.6.6 and i'm planning to update to 10.6.7 should work?

i've not found dsdt for my notebook and i'm trying to use "Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a_i5i3" with "DVx_i5i3 MIIF" i will let you know if it work.

Sorry for bad english

i've tried another usb port and finally it works.

i'm using 10.6.6 and i'm planning to update to 10.6.7 should work?

i've not found dsdt for my notebook and i'm trying to use "Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a_i5i3" with "DVx_i5i3 MIIF" i will let you know if it work.

Sorry for bad english

This is all great, but you should at least create a "clean DSDT" for your system and put that on your created MIID. The instructions for doing this are in the DSDT Guide.

Looking forward to your results,

GOOD LUCK!

;)

This is all great, but you should at least create a "clean DSDT" for your system and put that on your created MIID. The instructions for doing this are in the DSDT Guide.

Looking forward to your results,

GOOD LUCK!

;)

can i add it after the installation procedure?

EDIT: i've extracted clean dsdt.aml with ubuntu and put in Cham Extra folder but now i'm getting this error at the end:

Can't initialize disk cache
/dev/rdisk0s3 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
fsck failed!
Kext Loading now disabled.
Kext unloading now disabled.
Kext Autounloading now disabled.
Kernel requests now disabled.
Can't get kextd port.

continuing
syncing disks... Killing all processes done
CPU halted; It's now safe to turn off your computer

if i use -v maxmem=4096 arch=i386

i can go trough but it's very slow and give me cpupowermanagement timed out before let me see GUI

can i add it after the installation procedure?

EDIT: i've extracted clean dsdt.aml with ubuntu and put in Cham Extra folder but now i'm getting this error at the end:

Can't initialize disk cache
/dev/rdisk0s3 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
fsck failed!
Kext Loading now disabled.
Kext unloading now disabled.
Kext Autounloading now disabled.
Kernel requests now disabled.
Can't get kextd port.

continuing
syncing disks... Killing all processes done
CPU halted; It's now safe to turn off your computer

Hi ddduckman. I've had that problem too. To fix it you could try maxmem=4096. Are you using the legacy_kernel?

Hi ddduckman. I've had that problem too. To fix it you could try maxmem=4096. Are you using the legacy_kernel?

i've not touched kernel with maxmem i can go trough but how i can solve this?

EDIT: KP while updating to 10.6.7 now it doesn't boot even with maxmem, getting always KP during boot.