[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hey Mammoth thanks for your hard work. Your method is super easy I like it a lot. Im having some problem booting from MIID: Synaptic touchpad doesn't work. I can move the mouse but cant click. Any Idea?

With Nawcom cd i can boot with touchpad support.

Also i have a DV7 4000 series like my signature says

Hey Mammoth thanks for your hard work. Your method is super easy I like it a lot. Im having some problem booting from MIID: Synaptic touchpad doesn't work. I can move the mouse but cant click. Any Idea?

Hey Gutierrez,

The problem with the touchpad not clicking lies in the Trackpad settings in System Preferences. If you have a USB mouse, connect that. Go into System Preferences -> Trackpad. Once inside, check the box next to "Clicking" or something along those lines. You can also click the two boxes below it if you want. That should make clicking work.

@Piotrekk

I've managed to install 10.6.7 and this is what I've found to have worked so far.

1) As stated in your earlier post, the latest VoodooHDA from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works.

2) All 3 USB ports work (YAY!) I did a USB rollback via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but am unsure if it was necessary. (also elixz did get it working before me so kudos to him for mentioning it earlier)

I spoke too soon. My trackpad was not working and therefore I thought that it was due to the IOUSB kexts since [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]'s USB rollback gives me an earlier version of IOUSBFamily.kext. Therefore, I took my previous 10.6.3 version of IOUSBFamily and placed it in C/E and ran ChamExtUp. After the reboot, trackpad was working again but left USB port stopped working again =[ Will have to further test this until I can get both USB + Trackpad working together >_<

Also, will give Taptun 1067 another go since elixz seems to have it working.

Okay I understand the DSDT and MIIF, but I'm lost on MIID. Do I need to wait for the guide to be released or am I just blind? I would appreciate any help that is provided.

Thanks,

Dave :D

Okay I understand the DSDT and MIIF, but I'm lost on MIID. Do I need to wait for the guide to be released or am I just blind? I would appreciate any help that is provided.

Thanks,

Dave :(

The MIID is described in Part II - Installation of Image Device PDF guide in the first page. The MIIF is the image file that you restore onto your MIID (USB flash drive)

Hi Mammoth, first thanks for the guide,

I have an HP Envy 14. Now I know this isn't a DV series notebook, but the specs is very similar to the other HP laptops. It also has the InsyBIOS installed. Now I got 10.6.7 working and loaded up but for some reason I can't seem to get my graphics to work. It has a ATI 5650m card in it, and I've tried atlee's method and it refuses to work. When it loads in Chameleon it detects the card but when it actually boots up it always detects only the IntelHD card.

Hi Peeps,

For couple of days I've been trying to install Windows7 Ultimate (x86 and x64) on the WINDOWS7 partition as per Mammoths awesome guides. Setup gets to 33% and presents me with either:

1. Blue Screen of Death (summary below)

NTFS.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

(with the rest of the usual text and STOP errors/addresses etc)

OR

2. In the setup GUI it says "Windows cannot install required files" Make sure all files required are available, and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570

Background info:

I've tried my own Win7 Ultimate 32bit and my mates Win32/64bit from his DVD. Ive also tried both as a bootable USB install (and all of the above in safemode also). I imaged up my entire hard drive with Acronis recently, and successfully restored all SYSTEM/RECOVERY/WINDOWS partitions from the image, so I know hardware is ok.

During Win7 setup, it sees the WINDOWS7 partion as number 4.

I'm desperately trying to avoid not wiping my Mac OS at this point because it's stable, but I really want to install a clean Win7 OS from scratch. My next option is to completely restore my original HP partitions again (but this will overwrite my existing Chameleon/MacOSX as its a complete disk backup).

Sorry for long-winded post and if I've overlooked something here, but thought I'd provide as much info as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

I thought there was support for i5 and i3 in 10.6.6, but am not sure about this. You could test this by trying to boot

with Apple's VANILLA 10.6.6 using the boot flags:

cpus=1 busratio=xx (where xx is the CORRECT bus ratio for your particular CPU)

I know my busratio is 18 but I don´t know how to do this test, I mean, how to boot with Apple´s VANILLA 10.6.6 or 10.6.7. If you explain me a bit I am eager to try.

I have all the afternoon free to test. I was planning on testing the new MIID for i5 in one of my Test partition. I have a Finish_test modified script that addresses this partition and everything else ready.

Eventually, you should NOT have to add other kext files (such as IONetworking), Trackpad / mouse support kexts, AppleHDA kexts, etc. PLEASE remember to look at these as "crutches" or temporary quick fixes, just to get quick support for the features you want NOW. These are crude workarounds. Once we are able to generate fully functional DSDTs AND get you running on a fully functional kernel, most of these should go away. Our goal should ALWAYS be to achieve the cleanest running systems possible. The cleaner (meaning more close to being vanilla), the fewer files you will have update at each point release, the fewer problems you will have, and the faster your system will perform.

Thanks for the advice. I have done nothing with DSDTs yet (and I am completly ignorant about it), but that will be phase 2. As I said before, that´s something all the i5 owners con work together with one we are all at the same installation point.

Hi Peeps,

For couple of days I've been trying to install Windows7 Ultimate (x86 and x64) on the WINDOWS7 partition as per Mammoths awesome guides. Setup gets to 33% and presents me with either:

NTFS.sys

OR

2. In the setup GUI it says "Windows cannot install required files" Make sure all files required are available, and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570

Background info:

I've tried my own Win7 Ultimate 32bit and my mates Win32/64bit from his DVD. Ive also tried both as a bootable USB install (and all of the above in safemode also). I imaged up my entire hard drive with Acronis recently, and successfully restored all SYSTEM/RECOVERY/WINDOWS partitions from the image, so I know hardware is ok.

I'm desperately trying to avoid not wiping my Mac OS at this point because it's stable, but I really want to install a clean Win7 OS from scratch. My next option is to completely restore my original HP partitions again (but this will overwrite my existing Chameleon/MacOSX as its a complete disk backup).

Sorry for long-winded post and if I've overlooked something here, but thought I'd provide as much info as possible.

Hi, I had a similar problem. Do you by chance have an "unallocated" space of about 100Mb (give or take) above your windows partition, when you look at the disk layout during Windows7 (Fresh) installation. I did, and had nothing but problems. I know Windows7 will not install on any partition past the 4th one. I did not think that empty space would matter.... I rebooted back into OSX, Erased the Windows partition (MS-DOS Format). When I rebooted with Windows7 from a usb, the "unallocated" space was gone, and Windows7 installed just fine. (Remember to format the windows partition to NTFS).

Don't know if this will help.. but it worked for me.

@Mammoth,

I couldnt find a solution! but no worries! as you are busy i shall be patient!!

Thanks! Yes, I've been getting busier lately, but I want to get these things solved! :( Hang tight and don't let it stress you out (and that goes for all of you!) ;)

Hi Peeps,

NTFS.sys

OR

Background info:

You don't need the SYSTEM or RECOVERY partitions. You can just restore the Windows partition and all should work.

NOTE: Have you seen the two notes I posted under the Windows 7 guide on this thread's first page? There are two errors in the current guide that must be corrected. You might be having problems due to Acronis too. I've used Ghost, and for SURE that works. I just did a COMPLETE wipe of my system, then used the latest versions of the guides and .v03 MIIF for my machine and installation was flawless (including Windows 7).

I have NOT tried to install Windows 7 from scratch (from an installation DVD, but I don't recommend that either, as stated in the guides).

Hi Mammoth, first thanks for the guide,

I have an HP Envy 14. Now I know this isn't a DV series notebook, but the specs is very similar to the other HP laptops. It also has the InsyBIOS installed. Now I got 10.6.7 working and loaded up but for some reason I can't seem to get my graphics to work. It has a ATI 5650m card in it, and I've tried atlee's method and it refuses to work. When it loads in Chameleon it detects the card but when it actually boots up it always detects only the IntelHD card.

Great that you are getting close, but my machine does not have the dual card setup, so I don't know about this. Maybe someone else here does. However, the way it's supposed to work is the Intel SHOULD be the default, then, when you use an intensive graphics application, it's SUPPOSED to auto-switch to using the better, ATI card. Maybe this IS working and you just need a way to test it, but I don't know how you would.

Google about it, and please let us know what you find. Many of the new machines have this dual config, and it is part of the new Gen 2 CPUs.

Awesome news! Thanks, and I'm really pleased that you, and others, are seeing the value in it. :)

EVERYONE: Please try running ChamExtUp, then PFix, then Repair permissions on Macintosh HD with Disk Utility (or combinations of these three). I am thinking this might be all that is needed to make your Trackpad work. Experiment and report your results.

Thanks,

Dave :)

Please read everything found on page 1 of this thread. Download, and read, all of the materials.

Hi, I had a similar problem. Do you by chance have an "unallocated" space of about 100Mb (give or take) above your windows partition, when you look at the disk layout during Windows7 (Fresh) installation. I did, and had nothing but problems. I know Windows7 will not install on any partition past the 4th one. I did not think that empty space would matter.... I rebooted back into OSX, Erased the Windows partition (MS-DOS Format). When I rebooted with Windows7 from a usb, the "unallocated" space was gone, and Windows7 installed just fine. (Remember to format the windows partition to NTFS).

Don't know if this will help.. but it worked for me.

Yes, Dgrx is correct and this is good advice! ;)

I know my busratio is 18 but I don´t know how to do this test, I mean, how to boot with Apple´s VANILLA 10.6.6 or 10.6.7. If you explain me a bit I am eager to try.

I have all the afternoon free to test. I was planning on testing the new MIID for i5 in one of my Test partition. I have a Finish_test modified script that addresses this partition and everything else ready.

Thanks for the advice. I have done nothing with DSDTs yet (and I am completly ignorant about it), but that will be phase 2. As I said before, that´s something all the i5 owners con work together with one we are all at the same installation point.

When you boot up to Chameleon, instead of hitting Enter to boot-up OS X, just start typing the following:

cpus=1 BusRatio=18

(the 18 is for YOUR CPU, as you stated, others would have to enter the correct value for theirs.)

Then you press Enter to boot-up OS X.

To switch the kernel, I recommend everyone first be running on 10.6.7. Then, you can boot the system (anyway you can), and change the com.apple.Boot.plist to read 'mach_kernel' instead of 'taptun1067_kernel.

There is also a way to specify on the command line (along with the cpus=1 BusRatio=xx) but at the moment I can't look up the exact command format. It's something like: kernel=rd(0,3)/mach_kernel

If you can do it THAT way, it's better (as you DON'T have to change it in com.apple.Boot.plist), but you have to get it right of course for it to work. Google for the correct command structure, then figure out what it is for your partitioning scheme.

hi mammoth

i bought this wi fi card and installed it Broadcom BCM94322 / Dell DW 1510 PCIe

but didn't work with me do u have any idea about that

The procedure in the guides has an error in it, and that's probably why it's not working. I will be correcting it soon. I mention the error on page 1 under the guides now.

Sorry, but it will be corrected then your card should work. You can search, and someone might have created a whitelisted BIOS for your machine already that you could install.

Sorry all, I have to go now. I hope to back later today and work on some things!

:(

I am thinking about going to Fry's Electronics and taking an i5i3 MIID with me and doing some experiments on DV6 or 7 with an i5, but I really shouldn't be spending the time to do that because I'm so behind in other things. But I may do it anyway.

:)

Thanks! Yes, I've been getting busier lately, but I want to get these things solved! :D Hang tight and don't let it stress you out (and that goes for all of you!) ;)

Awesome news! Thanks, and I'm really pleased that you, and others, are seeing the value in it. :)

EVERYONE: Please try running ChamExtUp, then PFix, then Repair permissions on Macintosh HD with Disk Utility (or combinations of these three). I am thinking this might be all that is needed to make your Trackpad work. Experiment and report your results.

Thanks for the answer but in my case my problem with the trackpad is when im installing it. I can use the keyboard but not the mouse. Im using the MIID for the DVxI3I5.

I booted with the VANILLA 10.6.7 (mach_kernel) and it worked.

uname -v --> Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:16:10 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37~1/RELEASE_X86_64.

Now I am installing again with the new i3i5 MIID. I had to create a new USB with the MIID + XIID both on the same USB in order to leaver one USB port free for the mouse. Because with this MIID I have no kwyboard and the left USBs don´t work which is the main problem I am having to use this version. I will post results soon.

Wael, I'm having the same problem with mine (I wonder if we got them from the same guy on ebay?)

My BIOS is definitely fixed, because I have a full-length Apple BCM94321MC card, and if I use some tape to hold it in place (the half-height screw mounts keep it from being seated properly), it shows up in both Windows and OSX, and works perfectly in both places.

I just ordered an Atheros AR5BXB92 card (based on advice in this thread, by dgrx) ... we'll see if it works. The bottom looks flat so I'm hoping it'll fit (whereas the BCM94321 card has components on the bottom, that keep it from lying flat). It's shipping from a city an hour north of me, so it should be here by Saturday, I hope. I'll let you know if it works.

hi mammoth

i bought this wi fi card and installed it Broadcom BCM94322 / Dell DW 1510 PCIe

but didn't work with me do u have any idea about that

Hey all,

I just installed via 10.6.3 on my DV6. But after following the guide to upgrade to 10.6.7 I receive hanging at the point "DSMOS has arrived". 106.3 worked fine for the most part; I could boot, had access to my mouse and usb after running the command in 'Cham' extras, but after the update I get this error. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Tayshun

Hello Mammoth,

I got a patched dsdt.aml from MaLd0n, all my USB ports are working now.

But sleep still doesn't work, I can not even boot with SleepEnabler.ket installed (got the right version for 10.6.7). The boot sequence always freezes at:

post-460737-1302120308_thumb.jpg

No idea how to fix this...

@Mammoth

I just tested the new MIID for i3i5.

- during the installation neither the keyboard or the left usb ports worker. so I had to make a single USB with MIID + XIID in order to have the mouse in one of the left USBs.

- I had an error running the Finish script because the taptun_1066 kernel was missing. May be this is because I was using the "old" Cham isntallation, and theb Finish script may be outdated. I included 1097 the file in the MIID and it worked.

- after installation, it boots in 10.6.3.

Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Mon Dec 6 17:32:42 EST 2010; ModCD Kernel v4 :/Users/nawcom/Builds/bootcd-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386.

everything is working great on my hp dv5 1160 - thanks to mammoth!

except sound!

i have a idt sound chip: 92HD71B7

what can i do to get this working too - so my nb is fully osxed?

thx for your reply!

Great! Another user with DV5!! I have everything also working except sound and HDMI video+Audio

How did you get HDMI video to work? im using DSDT for graphics and basically everything else!!

First let me say, you do a great job here Mammoth!! Awesome!! :)

But unfortunately i have a little problem to boot the Mac OS X Install DVD from my USB-Stick. It would be great if you have any hints oder something like that ;)

I read your Guides Part1-3 completely and i create my own USB-Boot-Device with an Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD and with an "Mammoth (machine) Installation Image Files". I own a "HP Pavilion dv6 2090sg".

At this time, i know, there is no specified MIIF for the dv6-series.

But i choose the DVx-MIIF (Use this as a basic template for building a MIIF for a machine that one isn't available for yet. NO DSDT). I created my clean DSDT with ubuntu and add it to the MIIF, i know theres a lot more to do, to have a full DSDT. But I have no other options, have I?

I created successfully my USB-Boot-Device and Booting with the Chameleon Boot Loader the Mac OS X Install DVD in verbose-Mode. Before all this I unplugged all USB-Devices and i configured the BIOS as it its shown in your PDF-Guide. But after some lines of boot-text the HP-Pavilion shutdown ;) (last line "CPU halted")

I've recorded a Video from this:

Can anybody help me?? The would be great!! :) I own a iMac 27" but this is my first hac(k)intosh i try to install...

Additional Info:

HP Pavilion dv6 2090sg

- 15,6 HD-Ready Display (1366 x 768 Pixel)

- Intel Core i7 720QM Prozessor (1,6 – 2,8 GHz)

- 4 GByte DDR3

- Nvidia GeForce GT 230M (1 GByte DDR3)

- 320 GByte Harddrive (7200 U/min)

- Realtek RTL8168D/8111D-Familie-PCI-E-Gigabit-Ethernet-NIC (NDIS 6.20)

- Intel® WiFI Link 5100 AGN

Well basically you need to patch your freshly prepared dsdt with either the old nixin patch for dv6t or use the default patch for dv6 in the auto-patcher by Mald0n as the DV6 dsdt patch that is provided with the first post wont allow you to get sound with the "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" made by kizwan.

So what you got to do is repatch your fresh dsdt with the autopatcher with either the default dv6 patch by Mald0n or use the older Nixin DV6 patch and then put the "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" in E/E and the patched AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and repair permissions for both and reboot.

If I put the kext file in /Extra/Extensions , it just won't boot (a lot of sound assertion errors). If I put it in /Cham/Extra/Extensions , it will boot but still no sound.. Please help

everything is working great on my hp dv5 1160 - thanks to mammoth!

except sound!

i have a idt sound chip: 92HD71B7

what can i do to get this working too - so my nb is fully osxed?

thx for your reply!

Have you tried [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and installing the latest VoodooHDA? Just a thought, it may work.

Hey all,

I just installed via 10.6.3 on my DV6. But after following the guide to upgrade to 10.6.7 I receive hanging at the point "DSMOS has arrived". 106.3 worked fine for the most part; I could boot, had access to my mouse and usb after running the command in 'Cham' extras, but after the update I get this error. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Tayshun

Any ideas of what kernel you're using as I've realized that I can't get OSX to boot with anything other than Nawcom's legacy kernel =S