Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

what I did:

'Boot Camp' method for partitioning, then inserted Tiger DVD and mounted the new partition, renamed it as 'Leopard HD' and reformatted it as HFS+. Booted back into Tiger, mounted the DMG file, then ran the installer from 'system' and unchecked everything except essential files and X11 - it took 5 minutes to install and then I dual booted by selecting the drive in 'startup disk'.

and its wonderful :D

Hi all,

Maybe someone can help me, I did the Partition Install. The one with 3 partitions and the install work pretty well from a extarnal HD.

After the boot from 10.5 on the installed partition my wellcome screen is in the down - left corner of my screen. It plays the OSX wellcome tune and movie but I can not click to go on. I've tried every thing like reinstalling from another computer, adding a second display, with 2 displays, synchronizing displays, reset the PRam. But nothing got me to the click button to proceed with the install and creating a user.

Is there somebody who solved this problem.

Does anybody know where Leopard keeps de preference file for screensize for the startup sequence and knows how to alter this.

Any other solution for this problem, I've searched the forum for it and found only one other with the same problem but no solution.

cheers HAKAN

YOU DONT NEED TO REBOOT AT ALL TO INSTALL LEOPARD!

Ive been able to get it running fairly easy without needing 3 partitions or an ipod. Just make 2 partitions, one with your existing stuff and tiger, one for leopard. Then just mount the dmg and go to:

Mac OS X Install DVD ==> System ==> Installation ==> Packages ==> OSInstall.mpkg

and start the install on the designated leopard partition. during the install if it freezes during the BSD subsystem, just opne the terminal and type "sudo killall temacs" (9a303 no longer has this problem)

hope that helps.

other tips:

If you made a bootable dvd and it tries booting but just keeps spinning the DVD and the little spinning logo on screen, give it up to an hour to boot, worked for me the first time

there is a wwdc leopard build dvd that fits on an SL DVD at the bay o' pirates. just search "leopard preview single". its works fine also (its the wwdc release/OLD)

If you made a bootable dvd and it tries booting but just keeps spinning the DVD and the little spinning logo on screen, give it up to an hour to boot, worked for me the first time

My installation went fairly smoothly, but when I tried to boot, it never left the 'thinking' apple screen. I left mine booting for 2 hours last night and it never fully booted. Any ideas?

is anyone on a G4? Can someone post how they installed on that?

G4 400mz Graphic. I first tried on second internal hard drive with and without partition as clean install. I was unable to start up in Leopard. I then tried instaliing Tiger and then Leopard as an up date. Still unable to start up with or without disk.  All installs were ok.  I then as suggested by another Mac group just installed as update on my main drive allowing time machine to save tiger to the other drive.  I did empty all doc. & Pics that I valued to external drive. All these installs took over an hour and over an hour in the last instance. 

Started up fine, some graphic rendering problems on the Screen Saving and some non apple programs unable to start. Otherwise seems fine so far. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes and It does not work at all. I think it might be an issue with the kernal. I'm using the SSE3 release for AMD's from tubgirl.

I tried the no boot method thats been out for a while that didn't work, and I also tired booting the disk...I don't not why but it broke my current install and it didn't even boot anything.

I'll install it on my ibook when it comes in, it should be fine.

Hi all, this is my first post.

Sorry for my english :-)

I got the latest version of leo (dmg) and is abot 5gb.

I tried to open and inside I have a readmefirst file, a folder with X something and the black icon of the installer.

The strange thing is that if I try to burn it, toast or yuburner give me a 1,5gb of size.

Why?

So I tried to burn the dmg on a DL Dvd but doesn't work.

What can I do?

Thanx a lot

Tyler durden

i installed it to an ipod and ran it off that, but it was painfully slow. when i tried to use bootcamp assistant to partition my harddrive (nondestructively) it told me i should back up my files, convert my hd to a single mac osx extended (journaled) volume, restore the files and try again. the thing is, my hd isnt partitioned or anything. its one drive. ideas?

thanks a lot

Hi. I've read all 10 pages of this thread and still am unclear on a few things

I'm looking to install Leopard onto an external drive (iPod 30GB 5G )

Am i able to make 3 partitions on the iPod: 1 for the leopard dmg, 1 for the actual leopard install, and 1 for the regular ipod music and stuff (that can still sync with itunes?)

I'm trying to just be able to run leopard off the external USB drive (partition 2 of the ipod), but I'm not sure if it's possible, even after reading and searching these long threads

Finally, if i do re-partition the ipod into 3 partitions (or even 2, leaving the itunes/regular ipod one out) how do i go about making the ipod back into an ipod? will it show up in itunes as an ipod and have the option for a restore?

also, once i have leopard installed, can i delete the leopard dmg and give that 6 gb back to either the leopard install or the regular ipod? if so, how?

edit: also, finally, can i just open the OSinstall.mpkg or whatever with pacifist from within my tiger install and then just install it to one of hte partitions on the ipod? if so, how?

sorry to be so annoying with such basic questions, but i'm new at this and don't want to mess up my tiger install (and yeah i know about ccc)

Edited by ssbands04

• 3 weeks later...

hi everybody

first of all sorry for my English.

I got the leo (dmg) and convert it to .Iso by this program ISOlator (in Tiger)

and i have then an iso size 5.05 gb

burn it to DL Dvd .. (in Win xp)

and prepare portions .. but when restart i can't boot from the dvd

tried to press c on startup .. but nothing

what can i do to install from dvd? i have intel machine

thank

Edited by reesha

hi everybody

first of all sorry for my English.

I got the leo (dmg) and convert it to .Iso by this program ISOlator (in Tiger)

and i have then an iso size 5.05 gb

burn it to DL Dvd .. (in Win xp)

and prepare portions .. but when restart i can't boot from the dvd

tried to press c on startup .. but nothing

what can i do to install from dvd? i have intel machine

thank

Why did you do the conversion? It can be burned via Toast with no issues... anyway try using a lower burning speed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I already posted a small tuttorial but I don't rememer where.

I got Leopard easly running on an intel imac core duo. How? (no dl disc burning or other special tricks)

1) Got Leopard release 9a343 dmg - got usb external hard disk - got imac intel 10.4.9 - nothing more

2) open disk utitlity --> select your external hd (first back up all your data or they will be erased)--> partition tab ---> option tab --> select GUID Partition Scheme ---> create 2 mac os extended partitions (I called them SYSTEM and MEDIA both must be bigger than 9 giga)

3) disk utility --> restore tab ---> select as source your leopard dmg file ----> as destination the partition MEDIA ---> restore

4) after successfully process you should obtain the partition Media containg the osx 10.5 install

5) open system preference ---> boot disk -->choose 10.5 folder on partion MEDIA

6) should boot the osx 10.5 install ... cool ..

7) the install should reveal 3 disks (your internal hd , the SYSTEM partition and the MEDIA partition). select the partion SYSTEM to install leopard (watch out, don't select your internal hd, or all your datat will be lost)

8) after successfully installation restart ---> hold option key at start up ---> choose 10.5 on SYSTEM

9) Leopard should boot up, set it up and enjoy this unlegal preview!!

In my opinion this should'n be the final release. Still tiger look, no big news. Spaces and time machine are pretty cool but...enought? I'm sure at cupertino they got much more to exploit!!! as usual!!

Bye,

• 2 weeks later...
YOU DONT NEED TO REBOOT AT ALL TO INSTALL LEOPARD!

Ive been able to get it running fairly easy without needing 3 partitions or an ipod. Just make 2 partitions, one with your existing stuff and tiger, one for leopard. Then just mount the dmg and go to:

Mac OS X Install DVD ==> System ==> Installation ==> Packages ==> OSInstall.mpkg

and start the install on the designated leopard partition. during the install if it freezes during the BSD subsystem, just opne the terminal and type "sudo killall temacs" (9a303 no longer has this problem)

hope that helps.

hi,

did anyone try this method with 9a410 ?

does it still freeze?

thx

hi,

did anyone try this method with 9a410 ?

does it still freeze?

thx

You get an error.

post-102805-1177322815_thumb.png

So I installed it using this method:

Ok, for anyone curious.

This is how I installed it without burning a DL DVD:

1. Transferred the DMG file to my desktop of my mac mini

2. Open Disk Utilities and formatted my external HD with the default settings (not necessary, only if you have stuff on there you don't want)

3. Selected recover

4. Dragged the DMG file (not mounted, this is important) on the Source place

5. Dragged my External HD onto the Destination

6. Then I clicked Restore

7. After it was complete I rebooted, held down the Menu button on my little remote (or hold down the option key) and selected the External HD

8. Install started...and the rest is easy.

Hopefully this is useful for someone.