Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my method for installing Leopard Beta alongside Tiger on the same physical internal drive.

(this method works on intel based macs only)

1. Partition your hard drive with Bootcamp. (non-destructive partitioning)

[i gave about 30GB to Leopard and left the rest of my 250GB drive to Tiger.]

2. Reboot your system with the Tiger installation disk in your drive holding down the "c" key.

Use the Tiger installation disk to run "Disk Utility" instead of Leopard Beta Disk (more reliable utility)

3. After booting from DVD in Disk Utility select your newly created partition in the left colum

then goto the Erase Tab. Make sure Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) is selected for the new Partition format

and click the erase button in the lower left.

(Doing this erases the Windows formated Partition and creates a Mac OS formatted partition in it's place.)

4. Now reboot your Mac with the Lepoard WWDC disk in and run a full installation on your newly created

partition.

This dual boot method has worked flawless for me.

If anyone has question feel free to PM me.

Thanks a ton to mingistech for this write-up, it went flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry if I am asking something already covered, but I really cannot find any hint about it...

I have build 9a527 as an ISO file... I am losing my mind how to install it.

I have tried burning onto a double layer DVD but once mounted, opened and double clicked on the installer and asked to restart, the machine does not boot from the dvd.

can you please explain me where do I do wrong and how should I do step by step..

Thanks very very much!

Yes I have tried but nothing.. I am now trying to convert ISO into DMG with disc utility ... another question... once converted into DMG should I restore it before burning or can I burn it straight away always through Disc utility?

Thanks again...

I think that by the time I can install it, the golden version will be out already!

Hi, I followed the instruction to burn leo onto a single layer DVD and updated it over my current tiger installation.

One Word - Flawless!

Everything runs perfect. Even in WOW I getting a better performance than on tiger (approx 4-5 fps more).

So far I noticed 2 single bugs. One with Transmit and Leo. After a couple of time during upload to a ftp I got a "please restart your mac"

and the on screen symbols when I decrease the volume via apple keyboard, the icon is just a white box. Strangly within frontrow the icon

looks normal.

Iam on a Macbook Black Version 1,1 2 GB Ram with a new apple usb keyboard and Apple Display 20".

HI Guys,

I read this thread nearly 5 times on & on

But i couldn;t solve my problem.

I have a laptop

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF...=reg_R1002_INEN

HP Pavillion DV6516 with Vista Home Premium.

It SUCKS

I want to install Leopard 9a527 build 10.5 on my Lap

The file is a torrent i started to download & it is a single DMG file.

I am a beginner in MAC & would like to use it life long

I have download the Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/)

for partitioning my DISK.

I would like to Install the Leopard on my 140GB 2 partition HDD

How can i do it

my primary Drive is a 120GB one & the second is a RECOVER drive by HP

I want step by step instructions so that i don;t mess things up

Please tell me whether this will be supported or not (i mean the leopard on my HP lap)

I personally thank all the people who reply to this post.

Thanks

Ehh you downloaded Leopard for a Macintosh computer... Not working on a pc... Try another image with intel/amd in it's name than we can help you. :P

Hi fellows,

I have Leo 9a559 just downloaded, after burning the .dmg on a DVD can I install that on my Macintosh HD and choose a clean install like I did with the Tiger DVD (with erasing the old OS) or is it neccessary to make a second partition because it is still a beta software? I want to buy Leo anyway so I don´t mind if it´s still buggy and am ready to live without Tiger for the next 6 days...

I have a macbook pro downloaded the dmg file which was in rar file in windows and extracted the dmg file plug a usb external hardrive to my labtop using disk utility formated normal pick my external HD hit restore add the dmg file to source drag the external harddrive what ever you name it to destenation check erase forget the rest and uncheck the one next to it hit restore takes a few then boot to it holding option have about 4 min remaininginstall all good

ok, i have install os x5 but more difficult !!!! (and fun too)

Is there someone who achived a network install ?

ie : On os x server : use "Sytem image utility", make a "network install" .nbi (in fact it's make a new .dmg with a boot rom for bootp client) that u put in your /Library/Netboot/NetbootSP0/ and then start Netboot service (daemon)

and then start your mac client (not the server) with N key hold ...

For me , the mac client (mac mini intel) found the network , retrieve an ip , boot on the image but hang on and power off ? did u issue this kind of thing ?

As someone try to do a simple network install ?

I have downloaded leo from demonoid and couldnt get it to install. i couldnt even get the installer to run on start up. i even burnt it to a SL DVD and tried running from that and it still doesnt work. help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

same old question, and it probably has already been asked but...

Ive got Leopard, and I am trying to install on to a MacBook (2Ghz, 1Gig Ram & 80Gig HDD model).

I have both SL and DL versions on disks, but every time I go to install it restarts and boots directly into Tiger.

I have tried holding down C on boot, Option Key, D, everything that has been suggested, but still it just goes past ignoring the pressed keys and boots into Tiger.

Disk utils wont allow me to partition the HDD, and I dont have a firewire conection for my Ipod (60gig).

I also tried setting the boot disk to the install disk, but still boots to Tiger.

What am I doing wrong???

:)

Installed and working 100%

I got a firewire cable for my 60gig Ipod, and used Disk utils to copy the full DMG file over, restarted holding the option key and installed 10.5 with no hassels.

Since then I have used Bootcamp, and set a 20gig partition, and installed Vista on to it, just for the hell of it, and since I was on a roll. The only plan I have for Vista is to let me see how it runs, i plan to remove it soon enough and reclaim the lost space.

[Edited to add]

And yes, I did download 10.5, from the newsgroups, but I dont feel guilty as I am buying it when I order my new Mac pro in the next month.

• 1 month later...

I just upgraded my configuration to be "fully" compatible with osx. So now I have the following hardware:

• Asrock ConRoe 1333 667 mobo / earlier: ASUS P5GDC Deluxe

• Intel Core2Duo 6750 CPU + factory cooler / earlier: P4 540 3.2GHz + Titan cooler

• 2x1 GB 667 MHz DDR II 667 RAM / 1024 MB DDRI RAM

• Captiva 7300GS 256MB PCIe VGA Card / ATi x600 128MB PCIe VGA Card

• 80 GB SATA internal HDD

• NEC 4550 PATA DVD-RW

• Standard external USB case with 250 GB PATA HDD

• original apple keyboard + usb mouse / PC keyboard+usb mouse

• Samsung SyncMaster 940n lcd monitor

The upgrade matched with my waits, now i'm writeing this post on my osx 10.5.1 (with EFI) hackintosh. :)

Here's my step-by-step install:

1. Download and burn IATKOS 1.0 DVD

2. Boot up with install dvd and at the begining of the installation process format your boot partition with DiskUtil.

3. Follow the installers instrucions and install osx.

3.1. I added the following patches: modified AppleSMBIOS.kext, Nvidia drivers, EFI patch.

4. After install in the wellcome screen I needed to pull off my ethernet cable otherwise os didn't allowed me to go through the "user data inport" point.

5. Reboot and wait for os loading.

6. If Leo doesn't loads, you should try to boot again with install disk and use Darwin Boot installer in utilities. I needed to install manually Dawin in my disk0s1 partition.

7. Reboot and enjoy osx.

That's all normally, BUT:

I osx didn't recognized my DVD-RW, Time Machine and Missing Sync didn't worked. So:

8. I googled and found the next: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2065

9. Downloaded the ToH kexts and installed to /System/Library/Extensions.

10. Repaired permissions and I did a reboot.

11. Here was nice kerner panic. ;)

12. Reinstalled IATKOS 1.0 over the freshly installed Leo. (see above the install process), but didn't format the HDD this time.

13. Everything worked perfectly, BUT I didn't had administrator rights.

14. Googled and found a nice how-to: you only need to do the following to make a new admin in single user mode:

14.1. boot osx with +s key pressed on boot or darwin with -s flag.

14.2. mount -uw /

14.3. rm var/db/.AppleSetupDone

14.4. reboot

15. Now go though again on postinstall steps. (user data, .mac offers, ect..)

16. Load osx and delete your previously added user(s).

17. Enjoy.

Maybe this is something configuration-dependent bug, but I hope my lines could be help someone.

If you have any idea how to avoid the double installation, pls write... or PM me with any suggests or questions.

Hi friends! Like most of you all i tried for weeks until finally I managed to install leopard on my Sony Vaio Sz-320p/c. However I have a little problem guys, am tired of searching and looking everywhere for posts or web help of how to make my integrated web camera and Microphone to work!!! I NEED IT URGENTLY! Also my wireless is not working but am not soo worried about that. Guys PLEASE if any of you knows, has a clue, saw somewhere how to do this please let me know or post me back or even send me an email to 07058976@brookes.ac.uk. See how badly i need it that im even giving my e-adress. Well guys I thank you all in advance. If anyone needs help or something please ask me ill try to do my best!.

HAPPY NEW YEAR COLEGUES!

Sincerely, Venezuelan PIMP

----------

Sony Vaio SZ series

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.87GHz

1Gb Ram (512 x 2)

Audio (Sigmatel): Working Patched

Enthelnet (Yukon): Working (modified in Terminal)

Mic & Cam: Not Working (not clue what brand or model they are)

Graphic Card: NVidia not working, Intel Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know how do I can activate and make BOOT normally with the Leopard.

Performed whole process of installing on my PC, but to do restart the terminal of the DVD script "9a581PostPatch.sh" and at the final answer "Yes" to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. And "Yes" to Restart.

And I have no BOOT: (

How should I proceed to achieve enable Boot of my Leopard.

ISO was used:

ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso MD5 ->

Specifications of my PC.

Placa Mother: Intel D975XBX2

Processsador: Intel Core Quad Q6600 - Kentsfild

Video card: NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kiwi, dude you're on AMD Ath,on so I thought that you can just help me out. I downloaded that Kalway DVD of Leopard for my system. The sys config are :-

AMD Athlon 4400+ X2

Jetway JM2A-692-GDG Mobo with ATI x1250 onboard graphics with SM 2.0 and SB 600 Southbridge,

WD 250 GB SATA II HDD w. 16 MB Buffer,

Sony DRU 835-A DVD Writer and 19" Viewsonic 1912w TFT w 1440*900 @ 75 Hz.

Now, when I try to install Leopard on my system I get an error Cannont Copy files to the Partition from /Volumes/System (I think so). Then it asks me to restart the system. I've tried installing a number of times but I get the same error again & agai. What could be the matter? I've formatted my HDD as 30 GB Mac with FAT32 for Leopard and the HDD is set to run in AHCI mode with SATA enabled thorugh BIOS. Please help!!

Update:-

I got it installed on my system. But the problem is that after the sucessful installation I don't see any Mac bootloader, the partition table is

/dev/sda1 - Windows Xp

/dev/sda2 - Leopard

/dev/sda5 - Shared

/dev/sda6 - OpenSUSE 10.3

/dev/sda7 - Ubuntu

/dev/sda8 - swap

/dev/sda9 - Music & Movies

Please help, it staright away boots into OpenSUSE's bootloader, I even tried to add Mac OS X by editing the menu.lst file in OpenSUSE and adding the entry of Leopard via the chainloader option. but all in vain, it says, HFS+ partition error. What should I do, the data is safe and intact. I formatted the partition as HFS+ Journled and it is a primary partition.

Hello I have a Big problem installing Leopard 10.5.1

I have tried Installing it as it's mentioned, In fact I have tried all version from 10.4.5 to 10.5.1

The problem is "Still Waiting for root device"

What shall I do to install it. Is SATA HDD Compatible?

Pl. help me out. Its a latest config. system. Do I need some patches for my HDD or Motherboard. I m trying it for the last 2 weeks.

Help me out please!!!

My system config:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2666 MHz

Motherboard : Intel Frostburg DG33FB

Effective Clock :1333 MHz

RAM : Clock 400 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

HDD: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380

Sony DVD CD/RW : SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A