Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

Ok, I got the dmg using unrarx, and tried transferring it to my firewire HD. It gets to the end of transferring, then an error comes up. I want to burn it to a DL disk, and not run it off an external HD. I transferred it to the external so I can put it on my PC that has a DL burner. Any suggestions?

Ok, here's how to attach a dmg file as readwrite. Type this in terminal as a super user.

hdiutil attach -readwrite image.dmg

i'm pretty sure it will work though I don't have the Leopard preview yet. Once you have it mounted, you can change it. Then when you unmount it, it should be updated.

Good luck,

Paul

this is the error I got trying to do thes

xxx-computer:~ root# hdiutil attach -readwrite /Volumes/Leopard/mac.os.x.install.dvd.dmg

hdiutil: attach failed - Operation not permitted

xxx-computer:~ root#

but I know this has worked for other images

Hey all, I did the following:

Intel iMac.

1. Mount image, insert iPod Firewire.

2. Parition iPod . GUID partition scheme, one 5.1 gig partition, one for the rest.

3. Restore image to the 5.1 gig partition.

4. Boot from the restored partition, install on second partition.

Now, you have a LeoPod ^_^.

To partition existing data intact, use iPartition or similar tools. These aren't free, though, and that GUID scheme isn't on by default either. So, I think formatting is not a choice... but a must.

I Had an idea but so far cant impliment it

-open a 10.4.6 install disk image as hdiutil mount -readwrite {image.dmg}

delete all files except mac kernal and maxuss

then drag and drop all files from the 10.5 disk (except mach_kernal)

this has not work as of yet due to

some files are set as invisable and cannot be copied

the destination disk still only has 1GB avaliable (even though all files are deleted)

The reason I though about this approach is that then I can keep my boot partition from the 10.4.6 disk which we know can boot on an iHack as well as reducing the image size to a S/L DVD so hopefully us iHack users can atleast boot from an install DVD (in my case I will be experimenting with a DVD RW

Anyone know how to resize my now almost empty 10.4.6 DVD to handle these files as well as copying invisable files over?

Ok, for anyone curious.

This is how I installed it without burning a DL DVD:

1. Transferred the DMG file to my desktop of my mac mini

2. Open Disk Utilities and formatted my external HD with the default settings (not necessary, only if you have stuff on there you don't want)

3. Selected recover

4. Dragged the DMG file (not mounted, this is important) on the Source place

5. Dragged my External HD onto the Destination

6. Then I clicked Restore

7. After it was complete I rebooted, held down the Menu button on my little remote (or hold down the option key) and selected the External HD

8. Install started...and the rest is easy.

Hopefully this is useful for someone.

Ok, for anyone curious.

2. Open Disk Utilities and formatted my external HD with the default settings (not necessary, only if you have stuff on there you don't want)

3. Selected recover

7. After it was complete I rebooted, held down the Menu button on my little remote (or hold down the option key) and selected the External HD

It will be very useful to me, thank you.

Did you partition your comp before you installed, and if so, how did you go about doing it? If not, did you back up your installation (I think the installer lets you do so via Time Machine) and how did you go about doing that?

@asherman13

Yeah sorry, I forgot to include that part.

I partitioned my hard drive (the 80GB that came with my mini) using Boot Camp.

1. Download Boot Camp

2. Start Boot Camp

3. Select don't create driver cd (I forget the exact wording)

4. Then use the partitioner to create whatever you want, I did 10GB

5. Let it do it's thing

6. Follow my previous instructions...

7. Transferred the DMG file to my desktop of my mac mini

8. Open Disk Utilities and formatted my external HD with the default settings (not necessary, only if you have stuff on there you don't want)

9. Selected Recover

10. Dragged the DMG file (not mounted, this is important) on the Source field

11. Dragged my External HD onto the Destination field

12. Then I clicked Restore

13. After it was complete (it will take a few minutes) I rebooted, held down the Menu button on my little remote (or hold down the option key) and selected the External HD

14. Install started...and the rest is easy.

couldn't you just make a partition for leopard, run the "install.pkg" from pacifist and install it to your new partition, no restart required.

would that work?

I don't think it would work ...though it might. I was told by others it wouldn't so I didn't even try, try it out and let us know. ^_^

Ok, for anyone curious.

3. Selected recover

After you do this, does it get rid of everything on the external HD? Also, does this run Leopard off the HD? I dont want it to run off the HD because it is so much slower.

@asherman13

Yeah sorry, I forgot to include that part.

I partitioned my hard drive (the 80GB that came with my mini) using Boot Camp.

1. Download Boot Camp

2. Start Boot Camp

3. Select don't create driver cd (I forget the exact wording)

4. Then use the partitioner to create whatever you want, I did 10GB

5. Let it do it's thing

6. Follow my previous instructions...

7. Transferred the DMG file to my desktop of my mac mini

8. Open Disk Utilities and formatted my external HD with the default settings (not necessary, only if you have stuff on there you don't want)

9. Selected Recover

10. Dragged the DMG file (not mounted, this is important) on the Source field

11. Dragged my External HD onto the Destination field

12. Then I clicked Restore

13. After it was complete (it will take a few minutes) I rebooted, held down the Menu button on my little remote (or hold down the option key) and selected the External HD

14. Install started...and the rest is easy.

I don't think it would work ...though it might. I was told by others it wouldn't so I didn't even try, try it out and let us know. ^_^

it should also be mentioned that formatting the boot camp partition to HFS+ is needed, check my install guide for more detail  = )

Maybe SOMEONE can help me. I did exactly as instucted above. It starts to move it to the external, and this is what pops up. I should not that I was not sure how to format it, so I did not. I also have alot of info on there, so I didnt want to in the first place.

post-50361-1155603169_thumb.png

Maybe SOMEONE can help me. I did exactly as instucted above. It starts to move it to the external, and this is what pops up. I should not that I was not sure how to format it, so I did not. I also have alot of info on there, so I didnt want to in the first place.

i would try to move the dmg or re-extract it 

After you do this, does it get rid of everything on the external HD? Also, does this run Leopard off the HD? I dont want it to run off the HD because it is so much slower.

it will not be running off the external HD what your doing in essence is creating an installation DVD but using the HD instead of the DVD. Leopard will install on another partition/HD

What do you mean by "move" the dmg. It seems like it is starting to moves files over to the external becuase the files "applications" and "bin" show up.

move the dmg itself to a different folder on the machine and try to restore again

@itsadeal

I know you're not going to want to hear this, but if I had to guess I'd say you have a bad download. Did it give you any CRC errors when you unrar'd it?

Also, as mentioned above, you're not going to be running it off your External HD permanently...you're essentially turning your External HD into a temporary install DVD ... so you don't have to burn the DL DVD otherwise. You can delete the stuff off the External HD afterwards. Also, I think it will wipe the contents of the External HD when you restore the DMG to it, though I could be wrong...so don't quote me on that.

@djkinetic

I didn't specically format it any special way. I created/changed the size of the partition with Boot Camp and that was it...I didn't pick specifically pick HFS+.

Ok, I moved the dmg file to the documents folder, and tried it again. Here is what comes up

I am extracting it again. All I did was use unrarx, open up the .rar file, and click extract

i just looked at your previous screenshot and noticed that your partition scheme says master boot record. that needs to be changed. Master boot record is DOS/Windows based. You need to choose the external volume hit partition and hit options and choose the correct partition scheme, either GUID for intel based macs or the other one which I forget is for PPC mac/Mac storage in general. after that try to restore the image.

@itsadeal

I know you're not going to want to hear this, but if I had to guess I'd say you have a bad download. Did it give you any CRC errors when you unrar'd it?

Also, as mentioned above, you're not going to be running it off your External HD permanently...you're essentially turning your External HD into a temporary install DVD ... so you don't have to burn the DL DVD otherwise. You can delete the stuff off the External HD afterwards. Also, I think it will wipe the contents of the External HD when you restore the DMG to it, though I could be wrong...so don't quote me on that.

@djkinetic

I didn't specically format it any special way. I created/changed the size of the partition with Boot Camp and that was it...I didn't pick specifically pick HFS+.

may not have been necessary for some but it was for me, without me changing the filesystem i was unable to mount the partition im just posting what i know works 100 % just to avoid confusion and problems/questions = P

Ok, I am backing up everything on my external, and then going to reformat. I REALLY hope I dont have to redownload. I had my macbook running for 55 hours straight.

No need to redownload just change the partition scheme to a mac native one, make sure you choose the right one either GUID for intel based mac or the other for any other Mac, just dont choose MBR master boot record.

I restored my partition of the HD I'm using (Mac OS X Extended format) and then rebooted holding option down, but it only came up with my Tiger HD. But in the Startup Disk pref pane, it comes up as "10.5 on Leopard Install HD". When I click that and hit restart, it restarts, then comes up with the OS-9-esque folder and question mark, then boots onto the Tiger HD. Anyone know why? I redecompressed the rar and am currently restoring the HD with the new one, to see if that changes it.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys going to be uninstalling tiger? If it is stable, I guess I will be getting rid of it. If I want to do that, how would I?

i wrote over my Tiger install, and only have Leopard on the system. as for your setup where did you want leopard installed. if you restore the image to the external drive you cant install Leopard on that drive. Unless you partition it into two. You could try an archive and install on the Main HD partition, but im not sure if you'd be able to boot into tiger still i never tried it.

mods-sorry for double post

Just out of curiosity, are you guys going to be uninstalling tiger? If it is stable, I guess I will be getting rid of it. If I want to do that, how would I?

I definitely wouldn't do it, because it's a beta and won't be stable. But if for some weird reason you wanted to, just choose the Tiger HD in the installation for the target HD ;)