Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if I restore to an external HD will it ERASE everything on the hard drive??

Thanks

I'd like to know this as well!

another question:

if I restore the .dmg to an external HD how many files will be an the external HD.

I'd like to know because I have data on my external HD and I'd like to delete the restored .dmg from the external HD after I have installed leopard.

So I'm interested in if there are many hidden files on the external HD or if I can easily delete the restored .dmg from my external data HD.

thx

The restore method erase everything in your external hard drive.

Read carefully the small tutorial of mine in the previus page.

First back up your files and then use disk utility to restore the dmg image

About release 9a410: I noted a new feature on the finder window, pretty cool!! Called quick look, a floatant or full screen black window (iphoto look) folder image with small information. Not so usefull but cool!!

this version crash very often!!

New layout for the network preferences (the tiger's are better)

Hummm, still lot of work to do? police.gif

bye

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried pretty much everything so far (in this post) to install leopard and nothing has worked. The furthest I have got to being successful has been t get to the white startup screen with the spinning apple logo on it. I have a Macbook with 1GB Ram, 3 Partitions and the file from the torrent (leopard_client_9a410.dmg)

PLEASE HELP ME!

• 1 month later...

Just wondering...

Have a Powerbook g4 and an external usb harddrive...

Can i create an image of my whole internal harddrive with tiger using ccc and copy it to the external hdd,

Then do a clean install of leopard on my powerbook.

If i'm not satisfied with leopard use the image of tiger i created and bring it back to my powerbook without losing any data??

Thnx for helping me out!

Hey guys, I've read over the thread trying multiple things, something that I don't think has been mentioned here was that it's a good idea to lock the dmg after downloading b4 mounting it as it corrupts it otherwise or something along those lines. I'm on an iBook G4 1.33GHz 1Gig RAM, OS 10.4.10... since I don't have a DVD burner or a firewire iPod (just a 5G iPod Video), I copied the dmg to a windows box of a friend of mine (running Vista Home Premium). I tried using transmac but failed miserably (jeez that proggie is not very intuitive). So next I converted the .DMG to .CDR (ISO) using the terminal "hdiutil convert leopard.dmg -format UDTO -o leopard.iso" and then burt that image on my friend's machine using the newest version of Nero Burning Rom onto a DL DVD. My computer recognizes the DVD with (in finder at least) appears to have all the files intact, and in System Preferences under Boot Disk I can select it but when I restart I get the old OS 9 logo and the folder symbol which flashes a couple times before loading my regular tiger. I know someone else had the same symptoms a few pages back but there wasn't any follow up, I imagine that the permissions or the file system or something didn't convert properly. Could someone post a tutorial on how exactly to get the dmg burned on a PC? I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, when I press Option during boot nothing happens, I don't get a list of startup disks or anything, I've pressed Option right after the Mac Chime and right at the blue startup screen and various other places. Anyway, thanks for your help! =)

hi guys,

i have the same problem as morgan on the first page.

i have burned it on a DL DVD with my iMac (intel C2D)

now i want to install it on my MBP (intel CD).

if i boot from the DL DVD:

I get the boot icon that is a circle with a line through it (looks like the no-smoking symbol if that helps)

and yes, my partition sheme is GUID.

what am i doing wrong.

(don't think about my english please ;))

--------edit--------

i like to install it on:

MacBook Pro 2.16 CD

and running OSX 10.4.10

but i like to install 10.5 as single OS an my book

Hello

Many of users writes that they did install it, but no one reply on posts like this:

i have g4 mac and con not boot from RESTORED leopard image on external USB HDD

so, can some one describe how did they install it on g4 using EXTERNAL USB HDD and restore function

every time i try - disk becomes unbootable!

Thank you in advance

can only discribe how to solve my problem with DL DVD and the circle with a line through it:

i burned it with toast8 but this way doesn't work. it's not bootable.

burn the image with "festplattendienstprogramm" (i don't know the name of this tool in english)

and everything is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the restore option to put Leopard on my Firewire HD, but OS X refuses to recognize it as bootable. It appears in system disk, but if I restart it boots into tiger. Same thing happens if I press option on restart. I have a PB G4--any ideas?

Here is my method for installing Leopard Beta alongside Tiger on the same physical internal drive.

(this method works on intel based macs only)

1. Partition your hard drive with Bootcamp. (non-destructive partitioning)

[i gave about 30GB to Leopard and left the rest of my 250GB drive to Tiger.]

2. Reboot your system with the Tiger installation disk in your drive holding down the "c" key.

Use the Tiger installation disk to run "Disk Utility" instead of Leopard Beta Disk (more reliable utility)

3. After booting from DVD in Disk Utility select your newly created partition in the left colum

then goto the Erase Tab. Make sure Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) is selected for the new Partition format

and click the erase button in the lower left.

(Doing this erases the Windows formated Partition and creates a Mac OS formatted partition in it's place.)

4. Now reboot your Mac with the Lepoard WWDC disk in and run a full installation on your newly created

partition.

This dual boot method has worked flawless for me.

If anyone has question feel free to PM me.

What do you mean by (non-destructive partitioning)?

I think I didnt do the non-destructive partitioning what ever that is. When try and do step 3 is says I cant delete the windows "partition" because something about it not being mounted. Then I click mount to see if that would fix it but it wouldnt mount.

PLEASE HELPP

I want to use leopard really bad I have a singal layer DVD already burned I just need a way to partion my hard drivewith out deleting all my data on my MAC HD.

THANKS PLEASE HELP

What I did (WARNING: if you do this wrong, you may screw up your partitions = DATA LOSS. Don't follow this if you don't feel a bit comfortable. No warranties, etc.)

Does need: Commandline skills

Does NOT need: Any external HDD/iPod, DL DVDs, etc.

What it does: Installs Leopard to a new partition, keeping Tiger and all your data (back it up first though!!).

1) Use Bootcamp Assistant to restore everything to one big partition, if you have to

2) Open a Terminal. (If you're not comfortable in it, stop now!)

3) For an internal disk @ 160GB (Macbook Pro):

$ sudo su -

# diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 limits

# diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 118G JHFS+ "Leopard Install" 12G JHFS+ "Leopard" 18G (this creates two new partitions: 12GB for the install, 18GB for Leopard, and leaves the original Tiger partition at 118GB)

4) Reboot

5) Open Disk Utility, format the two new partitions with Journaled HFS+

6) Restore the leopard install image onto the Leopard Install partition (drag the image/partition from the left pane; check Erase destination, UNcheck ship checksums if it's checked)

7) Reboot, hold alt/option on chime sound, boot from the OS X Install partition

8) Install Leopard to the "Leopard" partition

9) After installation is complete, in Leopard, open up a new terminal and

$ sudo su -

# diskutil list

# diskutil mergePartitions JHFS+ 'Tiger (or any name)' disk0s2 disk0s3 - GET THIS RIGHT from the list you got in step #10! Get it wrong and you'll either wipe away Leopard, or wipe away everything if you accidently type disk0s1 or such for the first partition.

12) DONE! You now have three partitions: One EFI-partition (don't touch this), one with Tiger, and one 18GB holding Leopard!

Good luck and don't blame me if you screw it up! It worked for me, though.

I seem to be having some real difficulties installing leopard.

When I go to install the system, it can't detect either of my two partitions.

It's as though it doesn't detect my disks at all.

When I load up the disk utility it detects the drive, but not the partitions...

is there something really obvious that I'm missing?

• 2 weeks later...
I seem to be having some real difficulties installing leopard.

When I go to install the system, it can't detect either of my two partitions.

It's as though it doesn't detect my disks at all.

When I load up the disk utility it detects the drive, but not the partitions...

is there something really obvious that I'm missing?

I have the exact same problem!

It worked the first time I tried, but half way through an archive and install it bummed out. Now nothing I do will make it recognise my partitioned disk. Booting up on the 466 partition doesn't even recognise the tiger partition :blink:

:censored2:

I'm led to believe that the installer screwed with my GUID partition scheme somehow. What's wrong?