Leopard Installation Method

mingistech

258 posts in this topic

AWESOME! I now have 10.5 installed, but it seems like I put it on the wrong partition. I put it on the one with tiger. It just upgraded it to 10.5. How do I get rid of the second partition I set up using bootcamp. I cannot select anything in the disk utility.

If you run Boot Camp Assistant from the Applications/Utilities folder, one of the options is to "Restore the startup disk to a single volume". I haven't tried it, but I would guess that is what you are after.

For anyone who wants to burn a Single-Layer DVD of Leopard, here are the step-by-steps in Terminal:

1. Superuser yourself (or use sudo for each command).

2. hdiutil convert leopard.dmg -format UDRW -o leopard2.dmg

3. hdiutil mount -readwrite leopard2.dmg

4. Delete whatever files you wish (probably XCode, for you)

5. hdiutil convert leopard2.dmg -format UFBI -o leopard3.dmg

6. Burn your image.

7. Boot.

I've tested up until Burn and boot, as I have to leave for work, but it should work.

NEVER, and I repeat NEVER burn a Mac OS X install image in Toast. Disk Utility is all I have ever used.

hmm, anyone try this ?

Hey all, I did the following:

Intel iMac.

1. Mount image, insert iPod Firewire.

2. Parition iPod . GUID partition scheme, one 5.1 gig partition, one for the rest.

3. Restore image to the 5.1 gig partition.

4. Boot from the restored partition, install on second partition.

Now, you have a LeoPod :P.

To partition existing data intact, use iPartition or similar tools. These aren't free, though, and that GUID scheme isn't on by default either. So, I think formatting is not a choice... but a must.

I cannot partition my 4th gen iPod as GUID. It tries for a few seconds and says that the "partition failed with the error: 'input/output error.'" I get this within OS X 10.4.7, or from the OS X install disk > Disk utility. I'm doing this on my MacBookPro.

For those of you that were asking about a method of installing Leopard without burning it to a DL DVD, here is how I did it.

1) Startup Carbon Copy Cloner  (google it)

2) Mount the Leopard disk image (dmg)

3) In CCC, select source as "Leopard mounted image" and destination as any partition on your Hardrive or External Drive.

4) In CCC prefs, select make Bootable and DO NOT select Erase Volume. (if your destination volume is empty, who cares).

5) Press Clone.

6) When finished, go in Start Up Disk and select that install you just did and RESTART.

7) Leopard install appears and lets you install it where ever you want.

Just select your destination and cutomize it if you want .

8) You know the rest...enjoy and don't waste a DL DVD for nothing.

PS. This is how I did it on my PPC G5 iMAC.

Enjoy! :whistle:

When i use CCC it tells me there was an error and asks me if i want to ignore it. I'm assuming its related to the "special permissions...can't be copied" error i get if i try and copy the files out of the .DMG file onto my harddrive. If I ignore it, it does copy but it gives me the ? symbol (Circle with a line through it) when i try to boot with it. Did you get the same prompt when you used CCC? If so what did you do differently?

When i use CCC it tells me there was an error and asks me if i want to ignore it. I'm assuming its related to the "special permissions...can't be copied" error i get if i try and copy the files out of the .DMG file onto my harddrive. If I ignore it, it does copy but it gives me the ? symbol (Circle with a line through it) when i try to boot with it. Did you get the same prompt when you used CCC? If so what did you do differently?

Ok, open up terminal and type: sudo passwd root

Change Root Password and login as root and do the same procedure again

For anyone who wants to burn a Single-Layer DVD of Leopard, here are the step-by-steps in Terminal:

1. Superuser yourself (or use sudo for each command).

2. hdiutil convert leopard.dmg -format UDRW -o leopard2.dmg

3. hdiutil mount -readwrite leopard2.dmg

4. Delete whatever files you wish (probably XCode, for you)

5. hdiutil create -srcdir /volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD" -format SPARSE /leopard-dvd.dmg

6. hdiutil convert leopard-dvd.dmg.sparseimage -format UDTO -o leopard4.dmg

7. Burn your image with Disk Utility.

8. Boot.

EDIT: It works, but it doesn't boot. I'm giving up at this point, but I'm guessing that it has to do with the volume needing to be "blessed". If anyone wants to tweak my formula and repost, that might be a good idea. In the meantime, I'm burning to a DL disc.

C'est la vie!

It worked great for me, none of the other methods of installing on SL DVD's or multiple partition things worked. So I looked around the files and found that I could run the install right off Tiger and install it to the leopard partition. Very easy to do (In my case), Im going to test it on a friends Mac Book Pro later on tonight aswell.

Hey guys, I have this problem that the installer hangs on the BSD subsystem install script.

I opened the Install-Package with Pacifist and tried to install it to my external HD. It worked but I got at least 10 errors - all concerning the BSD subsystem. There seem to are files missing in my version of Leopard!!

So anyways I managed to install and had to make the disk bootable with carboncopycloner but when I tried to start from it, the kernelpanic screen showed up.

So my question is: Are there 2 versions of the torrent file floating around and do I have to redownload it?

My torrent file was named: The_Big_Cat.3511949.TPB.torrent

And the installed folder was: APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.WWDC.PREVIEW-BETAOSX

I also checked the "BSD" install-package with Pacifist and it showed up that a lot of files were missing. Can anyone please do the same check and tell me what it said? Just open Pacifist and open the Apple install package. Afterwards select the BSD package under Essentials -> essentials group. Then click on Analyze!

Please help me, I'm very keen on trying Leopard!

Thanks for any reply!

Andy

Hey guys, I have this problem that the installer hangs on the BSD subsystem install script.

I opened the Install-Package with Pacifist and tried to install it to my external HD. It worked but I got at least 10 errors - all concerning the BSD subsystem. There seem to are files missing in my version of Leopard!!

So anyways I managed to install and had to make the disk bootable with carboncopycloner but when I tried to start from it, the kernelpanic screen showed up.

So my question is: Are there 2 versions of the torrent file floating around and do I have to redownload it?

My torrent file was named: The_Big_Cat.3511949.TPB.torrent

And the installed folder was: APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.WWDC.PREVIEW-BETAOSX

I also checked the "BSD" install-package with Pacifist and it showed up that a lot of files were missing. Can anyone please do the same check and tell me what it said? Just open Pacifist and open the Apple install package. Afterwards select the BSD package under Essentials -> essentials group. Then click on Analyze!

Please help me, I'm very keen on trying Leopard!

Thanks for any reply!

Andy

Three questions to ask:

1. Did you MD5 the image?

2. Did you let Apple's Disk Copy verify the image?

3. When you attempted installation, did you let the installer check the image/disk for errors?

Incorrect. Macs have been able to boot from USB since the AGP Powermac G4s.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58430

Yes it is possible... i read it can be done in open-firmware mode... but it didn't work for me...

And Leopard is nice :D even if it doesn't work perfectly (crashes when i close a slideshow in Preview using esc, crashes when i want to view files in Unison, sometimes i have problems unmounting drives)

but even with the crashes, Spaces makes up for it :D it's awesome

i installed Leopard on a Powerbook G4 by using my Tiger install dvd and 1 external usb HDD with the Leopard dmg on it.

-booted the tiger dvd

-start disk utility, create 2 partitions on you internal hdd (make one of them 5.5 GB)

-i connected my external drive, and used disk utility to restore the image to the 5.5 GB partition

- then a started the startup disk tool, selected the 5.5 GB partition with the leopard install dvd on it

- rebooted and installed

worked perfect for me, cant wait to try it on a MBP

:D

I burnt the instal disc according to the instructions in a thread about doing it without a DL-DVD and I used this thread to create the appropriate partition. I have not been able to get it to work. I have the same problem someone had earlier in this thread where I am able to boot using the DVD however it just hangs at the blue screen after getting the beach ball for a while. I did what someone suggested and let it sit there for about an hour but no luck still. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Ok, I moved the dmg file to the documents folder, and tried it again. Here is what comes up

I am extracting it again. All I did was use unrarx, open up the .rar file, and click extract

I had the same problem until I clicked on the Erase tab and erased the partition on its own. Then I went to the Restore Tab and it worked. I first used the Erase Destination and got that error and more. Once I did and straight erase all was well.

You might try that.

. . . fb

Hey guys, can someone help me out with some installing probs?

Im trying to install from my burnt dl dvd onto my G4 ppc(mdd)

I did everything in the guide etc. but when i start the installation, it restarts the pc, and when it reboots, all i see is a "folder" in the middle of the screen. inside the folder there is a blinking question mark which changes back and forth into what i believe to be the os 9 logo, this goes back and forth and keeps going for about 15 seconds, after which the compuer returns to the regular os x boot, and so nothing happends.

I also tried to start up the comp while pressing the c key, but this didnt work either, it wouldnt boot from the dvd disk.

I burnt a double layer dvd for leopard with disk utility on my G5, and as far as i can see in the finer, the disk seems ok.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Cheers,

Hi i tried using the bootcamp method to make an 8gb partition and it said it cant be completed because the disk cannot be verified and to repair the disk with disc utility.

is there any other way i can get this on my main hard drive? the dmg image is only 4.33GB, is that right?

oh yeah and im on an intel macbook.

Thanks for the help :D

• 2 weeks later...

OK, i have this weird thing. I have an iPod that i placed the image on. It boots and all, it gets through most of the install, then fails at 19 percent of the Additional Speech Voices. (Something about files missing in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/) Anyone else have the same issue? I have tried two different Macs (MBP 15.4" 1.83GHZ and a PB 15" 1.66), and it fails on both machines at the same place. I have checked the checksums of the dmg and stuff. Could the iPod be the problem.. bad sectors.. or .. i mean i am out of ideas...

Thanks in advance...

• 1 month later...
I have had the image for a couple days now but I cannot get it to install! I get the boot icon that is a circle with a line through it (looks like the no-smoking symbol if that helps).

I booted from a DVD and I tried to boot off a external HDD that I had restored the Leopard image too and nothing is working...

moin,

i have the same problem, too.

i have an G5 1,8GHz and wont to install leopard..

i downloaded the .dmg than i burn it on al DL DVD - restart and press "c".. nothing.

than i clone the image of a new harddisk with ccc an "make it bootable" .. select the startdrive.. and than comes the circle icon

i take a new harddisk and start the installer from mount diskimage and in the middle of installing he stands still...

i dont have a idear what can i make to boot and install.

now i go to learn english and hope anyone can help me.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys

i have finished the downloading of leopard dvd.

i want to install it on my ibook g4's hd using my ipod 60gb 5g.

i erased the whole thing and then restored the dmg onto the ipod, successful.

however when i try to install, i opent he installer from finder, restart, and then i end up booting into tiger. my ipod still shows up as a ipod icon and if i press c to boot with it it just boots into 10.4 i cant set it as the startup disk.

Hi mvv, may I know where can I get the 10.5 leopard preview version?

I tried everywhere, but the BT can't download since no one is sharing the seeds,

Please help, I wish to experience earlier.