Get your UVC webcam working as Apple iSight

102 posts in this topic

Worked like charm in my Asus T101 MT running 10.8.1. Now my cam is recognized as built-in iSight.

It was already recognized before, and it worked well with all video programs except for the fact the image is flipped upside down, which is unrelated with the way the system recognizes the camera. I wanted to make it iSight, so iGlasses worked with it and help me to put the output of the camera in proper position. Didn't work: even with the fix, when i chose iGlasses as the camera, the programs either crash or stop outputting anything (and the camera indicative blue led turns off). I think now the problem is QE/Ci related - my netbook relies on an Intel GMA3150, which is yet unsupported, for graphics.

As a side note, the vendor/product ids of my cam differed only by a single digit in the vendor line from the ones who came with the kext. Maybe that explains it was so easy, without any of the problems reported here (lost of sound, etc).

Many thanks to Andy Vandjick, who made this kext and shared it with us, and to Oldnapalm, who clarified where exactly we should edit the plist.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this thread because I'm trying to fix the FaceTime issue that others have complained about; looking *very* pixelated… like 10x the normal size as if the camera were only 30 x 70 pixels… that, and after a half minute, the whole image starts flickering madly.

According to

ideasonboard.org the Sunplus 1bcf:2809 webcam that comes with the Dell 3550 *is* supported by the Linux UVC driver, but it didn't say anything about whether the Sunplus 1bcf:2888 that came with my HP 4530s is UVC.

At any rate, I followed the instructions to the letter, editing the AnyiSightCam.kext (all 3 instances of both ID's in hexadecimal) and then installing it in S/L/E. In 'About my Mac' the webcam did show up as a 'Built-in iSight", which it didn't do before the kext... Unfortunately, the webcam simply doesn't function with kext installed... I get no image at all. Same with PhotoBooth.

Anyway, I removed the kext and I'm pretty much back where I started... highly pixelated FaceTime.

Can anyone confirm that the webcam that comes with the HP 4530s is UVC? I mean it is 28XX like that on the Dell's... so, it probably is, wouldn't you think? AND is there anything else I can do aside from the instructions to get my this webcam to function as it is supposed to?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

---

hp 4530s i7 2670QM/2.20 GHz (LJ521UT#ABA)

Mac OSX MountainLion 10.8.1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anybody here running Mavericks using this approach to have your webcam work in OS X 10.9?

Yes :-)

This Kext is working on every version of OSX, because it's just a info.plist merge kext...

@Andy

Thank you very much for this kext, its working awesome on 10.9.2 :-)

And it fixed my Camera :-)

Before my Cam's Light didn't turned off, now it turns off:-)

Cheers :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So my Microsoft VX800 webcam doesn't work anymore. It worked perfectly, but now, the hackintosh "sees" the webcam, but no video, black screen. Also, after a few seconds, the hackintosh FREEZES. It's fricking annoying.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone ;)

Thanks for this kext. This kext is working very well on the msi ge70 apache pro laptop :thumbsup_anim: 

But this kext does not work, even though the usb port on the hp dv6 3310et laptop. So what can I do to solve the problem ?

Thank you in advance for your answers. Kind regards :help:

post-489445-0-54788900-1422651918_thumb.png

post-489445-0-49934900-1422652747_thumb.png

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
My:
Vendor ID = 0C45 (Microdia)
PID = 6713

The camera is built-in in Dell XPS 15.  I updated the kext with these ID's, but the video does not work.  Any suggestions?

My system:

Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop (Skylake I7, 16G, 1TB SSD, Windows 10 x64 Home Premium)

VMWare Workstation 12

Running El Capitan as a guest vm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

how can I confirm my webcam is or isn't ivc?

I have an Alienware M17x R4 and pretty much everything is working now apart from the webcam.

its listed in the USB section as Product ID 0x8127 vendor ID 0x064e, but the camera section says no video capture devices were found.

I tried the anyisight.kext and it changes these IDs to apple ones but still says no camera detected. is it just as simple as the fact this isn't a UVC camera?

• 2 years later...

I tried to use the AnyiSightCam.kext cake in Info.plist, which replaced VendorID and ProductID values with those specified in the system report about my camera, but nothing has changed. I tried to put this kext only in / kexts / Other, then I deleted it and moved it to / S / L / E, then I deleted it and put it in / L / E. Between these iterations, I reset the cache of cache and reboot the laptop, but nothing has changed. My webcam in the HP Pavilion 15-au028ur laptop is recognized in Hackintosh as HP Wide Vision HD and in Windows 10 it can take photos and videos in HD as 1280x720, but in macOS Mojave 10.14.5 in PhotoBooth the photos are 640x426 .

I never managed to get the camera to take photos and videos in HD format. Maybe there are some ideas how to fix this?

P.S.
In principle, in Windows 10, photos and videos are grainy, so maybe HP lied and in fact there is a poor quality photo module inside and using drivers they make Windows think that it is an HD camera and therefore it takes pictures in this size, but this is just my hypothesis.

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2014 at 6:51 AM, Ramalama said:

Yes :-)

This Kext is working on every version of OSX, because it's just a info.plist merge kext...

@Andy

Thank you very much for this kext, its working awesome on 10.9.2 :-)

And it fixed my Camera :-)

Before my Cam's Light didn't turned off, now it turns off:-)

Cheers :-)

Hi Ramalama,  are you still online here?  I have a Asus laptop and my built in cam images is always upside down.  Need help with getting my cam rightside up.

I went back to MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 due to graphics problems. Cannot run anything above 10.12.6.  freezes lockups and all. Ever since I installed and tried to run High Sierra with the graphics locking up, mouse moves, and key lock works, this is now happening on sierra where it never used to do this.  After a few hours on sierra now, screen freezes have to use shutdown and restart.  Strange.

• 2 years later...

This is my topic. 

I have the black screen problem. My camera recognized by the system. I used the AnyiSightCam.kext with my camera id patching but there is no difference. My system use OpenCore 0.9.4.