ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Results with a fresh install on an external drive; KP when loading the x3000 kext. Same results with XFX Rom, Netkas Rom (XFX5870-1.rom) and variations trying Kabyl, Trauma and Mohamed's boot loaders.

Do you have Graphics Enabler Yes in your boot.plist?

Hi Kabyl,

This is my first post's. :P I hope this will benefit you and everyone.

HIS HD 5770

lspci

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68b8] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Unknown device [1787:200b]
--

02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa58]
Subsystem: Hightech Information System Ltd. Unknown device [1787:aa58]

ok_tod’s Mac Pro.zip

Thanks for your great work.

Resubmitted with subsystem ids and thanks: Powercolor ATI HD 4770 (10.6.4, 64bit, latest graphics update, I'm using DVI)

your boot file, I added to Boot.plist AtiFbFlicker

Also needed - ATIRadeon4800Controller from Snow Leopard Graphics Update with card ID added to plist

Using AtiRadeonX2000GA and AtiRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle and AtiRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle and AtiRadeonX2000 (this last kext added card ID) - all extracted from 10.6.3v1.1 combo update

I'm going to need the subsystem ids from all those with a working card (even if the they needed to add the device id to an Info.plist); run this command in a Terminal window and post the output:

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem

This is going to help in using the best FB config for each specific card; because there are different cards in the same model and each have unique subsystem ids.

Thanks

sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem

Password:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740]

[1002:94b3] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:0d00]

--

03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series] [1002:aa38]

Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series] [1002:aa38]

(Thanks to Mohamed Khairy for linking me to the myHack_lspci_Installer_1.0.mpkg)

And from system profiler:-

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94b3

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

DELL 2209WA:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

If I can help out with further testing within my limited terminal comprehension, please let me know. :(

Do you have Graphics Enabler Yes in your boot.plist?

Yes I do.

I've also tried the "UseAtiROM" with Trauma's and Mohamed's using both my extracted Rom, Netkas' Rom, always precisely the same result.

Today I went as far as removing all other cards in the box to eliminate the possibility of an IRQ conflict with the new configuration. Same result.

I've tried creating a USB installer with the restored installer DVD and a "slipstreamed" setup with the 10.6.4 combo update and the graphics update. It's always the same KP.

I'd just give up and figure it as some hardware specific incompatibility if it wasn't for the fact that ATY-Init works so well, as do all versions of Win on the same chassis (separate drives, it's not some kooky MBR boot loader thing.)

I've attached the file in case I'm blind or just doing something completely stupid.

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

In any event, I thought it important to post results, positive or negative, considering it's still beta.

I've attached the file in case I'm blind or just doing something completely stupid.

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

In any event, I thought it important to post results, positive or negative, considering it's still beta.

Your boot.plist does look a little odd to me - especially Kernel Flags. Compare with mine below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2048x1152x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 -v</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

ioregdump.zip Hi Guys,

Im having an issue with my XFX 5870. I've got it all up and running, but it shows up as 256mb in system profiler. It also boots in 1024x768 and doesn't provide me with any other resolutions (my monitor supports 1920x1080 native). Have tried other framebuffers and tweaking the boot.plist to no avail. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I've included my ioreg dump if that helps.

Cheers

Stee

Your boot.plist does look a little odd to me - especially Kernel Flags. Compare with mine below.

So, I'm both blind and idiotic; thank you so much Lyle!

the space in "GraphicsEnabler" was the whole issue.

I can confirm this completely working now (thanks all!)

Three monitors and the boot screen! (the display port to DVI adapter must be why !?)

ioRegDump.zip

post-333813-1287030069_thumb.png

i have to say a massive thanks. i just went out and purchased a 5770 and was trying to work out what route to go down

ie modify kexts, flash roms, aty_init etc.. and stumbled across this thread. i simply replaced my existing boot file on my EFI partition, added the framebuffer section to my boot.plist and my new card works a treat.

well done and thanks again. i'll try post up some of the details you're asking for.

Ive succes too :( I switched (without new Install) from ATY_Int.kext Method with Netkas Drivers to this Chameleon boot File install.

Im running a Powercolor 5750 1Gb Green (passiv cooling). It works fine with Graphics Update 1.0 (Device ID added) QE/CI all Ports (no Displayport Adapter used) in 64 Bit Kernel and Graphicsenabler Yes. FB is default Vervet.

Great Work ,thank you so much :)

can anyone with a 5770 run a cinebench opengl test? for some reason im only getting 13.61fps.

cinebench is also only detecting my cpu as a 2core/4thread processor when its a 4 core processor

post-375259-1287067592_thumb.png

can anyone with a 5770 run a cinebench opengl test? for some reason im only getting 13.61fps.

cinebench is also only detecting my cpu as a 2core/4thread processor when its a 4 core processor

Way too low . with a 4 core i 7 @ stock you have to get about 32-36 fr.

Look here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1554521

@ MM67

very good results -about the maximum you can squeeze out of a 9550/HD 5770 combo

Did a fresh reinstall (found another older card) and my 5870 was back up running perfect.

Will post ioregdumps etc later.

For reference my card is XFX Radeon 5870. Model Number: HD-587x-ZNFV.

Here are the steps I took.

0. Remove ATI Card and use an older gfx card you know works (I used a 8800GT 512mb)

1. Boot using Kakewalk (should work fine with all boot cds)

2. Install Macosx

3. Install Chameleon v5 (I used a pkg installer to a small seperate partition. Also replace the "boot" file with Kabyls)

4. Set your boot.plist options and extras etc

4. Install updates to 10.6.4 restart

5. Install Graphics update and restart. TURN OFF PC BEFORE IT REBOOTS OSX (Dont know whether it makes a difference if it boots just how I did it)

6. Replace Old card with your 5870.

7. Turn on and boot into full osx goodness

Thanks for everything guys. Much appreciated.

I get 30.31 with a 5750, i would bet your 5870 should easily claim up to around 45 ?

hello, can you tell me whether your card is working with DVI or HDMI connector?

If yes then can you tell me the whole procedure, the problem with my system is that, with DVI the display is working but my mouse stops at certain points for some milliseconds....

Thank You...

I stumbled onto this thread and changed my smbios file from imac11,3 to Macpro4,1 and here are the results:

cinebench results using imac11,3:

screenshot20101015at104.png

cinebench results using macpro4,1:

screenshot20101015at105.png

I have however noticed two things while changing over to macpro4,1:

• im getting a few graphics artifacts in certain windows (ie if i open up a large image in preview, theres little flashing artifacts on the screen).
  • cpu fan (stock cooler) is spinning up more - equivalent to how it does when i have windows running.

anyway - still not sure why my chip is detected as 2C/4T instead of 4C/4T

I stumbled onto this thread and changed my smbios file from imac11,3 to Macpro4,1

I have however noticed two things while changing over to macpro4,1:

• im getting a few graphics artifacts in certain windows (ie if i open up a large image in preview, theres little flashing artifacts on the screen).
  • cpu fan (stock cooler) is spinning up more - equivalent to how it does when i have windows running.

anyway - still not sure why my chip is detected as 2C/4T instead of 4C/4T

Off topic but ....

I thought that setting your smbios to macpro4,1 did something with speed stepping. I've got a i7-930 and was told to do macpro4,1.

This is working great on Sapphire 5770 in GA-X58A-UD5!

Thank you so much for the hard work.

I am currently running 3 monitors (1920x1200,1920x1200,1680x1050 on DP,DVI,DVI) and it works perfectly.

I have not yet tested the HDMI port.

I am very happy with these results.

The only minor bug i have noticed so far is that when first booting up there is a garbled screen as the Desktop loads but then it quickly resolves and i have not seen any screen corruption during actual use.

Many thanks again and i will try and gather all the requested test info on this system asap.

g\

OpenGl drivers are slightly flakey on Win 7 und much more on OSX 10.6.4 for ATI 59xx , 58xx series

you can see it easily here :

I got 87,70 fr . ( 88,15 fr . with a second run) with an i 7 950 OC and a HD 5770 , better than every 59xx, 58xx

post-253749-1287176377_thumb.jpg

But where the 59xx, 58xx really shines is in OpenCL

Much , Much faster than every HD 5770 card

and in real world OpenCl apps. (Starfire) the 58xx flies.

You can test your cards with smalllux opencl bench (OSX 10.6 port by Mitch.de ..)

as an orientation see some HD 5770 results (click in my sig)

Thanks to you all!! (especially to Kabyl of couse)

I ve just happily switched from nvidia 8800GT to radeon HD5850:

On my system (newly installed Gigabyte GV R585OC-1GD radeon HD5850 card, on my GA-EP43-S3L motherboard, with intel Q9650 CPU and 6GB DDR2800 ram) this boot file is working without problems.

Had it working at first attempt with Graphics Update 1.0 with QE/CI on 1st DVI port (the closest to card PCB) in 64 Bit Kernel and with GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.boot.plist

(But I have not yet tested 2nd DVI nor DisplayPort or HDMI port)