Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

Heyas folks. So I updated to r1814 from r1806 (via Chameleon Wizard). Usually I have no issues with the updates, however I no longer can use GraphicsEnabler=y, I have to set the frame buffer manually to Duckweed, as r1814 automatically selects Bulrushes, which is wrong. Bulrushes nets me a grey screen and restart, whether I choose it, or Chameleon does. My card is a Sapphire Radeon HD6870 0x6738, 174B174B. http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1777399 shows that Bulrushes is selected by Chameleon???? I have installed, besides myself, 2 other Sapphire 6870s with different BIOS revisions in Hackintoshes (for friends, I am not that rich), both 6738 174B, and all have used Duckweed; My bro just picked up the Dirt3 edition tonight (not sure of BIOS version), dirt cheap, and his older Chameleon (the same I used, r1806) loads Duckweed correctly. Can we revert this back to Duckweed please so I can use DVD player, chess, and whatnot again? :P

Other OFF-TOPIC...

I revert back (in my local copy of main trunk):

{ 0x6738, 0x174B174B, CHIP_FAMILY_BARTS, "Sapphire Radeon HD6870", kDuckweed }, // ?? kBulrushes ??

use this recompiled boot with those changes into ati.c code.

boot.zip

Fabio

External link for download is down.

Because... maintance?

Yep I just test it now and is down.

Actually the latest version is the 1819...

I post soon an alternative pkg in the first page.

Fabio

We go OFF-TOPIC here...

Yes is for boot0

Here a version (binares) compiled with the Unstretch function active i386 ONLY NVIDIA CARDS

This is the direct link to the author's patch [PATCH] Unstretch the Chameleon Boot Screen

Fabio

Thanks Fabio. I'm not sure how you think it's off-topic when it's a feature you added to your own trunk, but if it doesn't work with boot0md then it won't fix my stretched bootscreen.

I'd found the original post by scorpius but I wasn't planning on compiling my own chameleon build. I'd hoped yours would work.

I have read the note on the first post that says:

Installation to the EFI system partition is currently disabled due to new features in the package installer.

What are the new features that mess with the installation on the EFI system partition?

I´ve found that even adapting munky´s method to lion (great job, although pretty outdated as of today), using actual boot0, boot1h and boot binaries, there is something that sometimes makes impossible to boot from the EFI partition, but I could not determine the cause.

Not sure if this will be related to chameleon or gigabyte motherboards, I'm just asking to discard possibilities.

It should be noted that on previous occasions I managed to boot from the EFI partition correctly with Lion and SSD, so this is not due to incompetence, but like I said, do not understand what could be causing this.

What happens goes beyond not being able to boot, but causes a kind of bug described on google, and related to Gigabyte MoBos:

stuck with the words "loading operating system" and a blinking cursor.

Worst of all is that when this happens you cannot boot from that device, or from any other, even DVDs or flash drives with another working installation of chameleon or any OS.

The only solution when this happens is to unplug the affected device and connect to another OS X computer using hot plug: E-Sata, USB adapter, or similar.

Then it is possible to repair the affected volume with the installer of this thread, thanks to powerful scripts included, and finally restart from the partition 0s2.

Do not know if this is a bit offtopic, because perhaps there are very few users out there who want to install chameleon on the EFI partition, but it would be interesting to discuss these things with you, if you have had a similar experience.

What are the new features that mess with the installation on the EFI system partition?

The changes involve reading the users target drive for an existing Boot.plist and populating the installer with your existing settings from where you can either leave them as they are, add to them or choose to remove them. This just hasn't been coded yet to work with the EFI system partition.

I´ve found that even adapting munky´s method to lion (great job, although pretty outdated as of today), using actual boot0, boot1h and boot binaries, there is something that sometimes makes it impossible to boot from the EFI partition, but I could not determine the cause.

Installing Chameleon to, and loading Chameleon from the EFI system partition works fine and it will happily boot Lion. This package installer could do it just fine maybe one month ago until the recent changes.

This package installer could do it just fine maybe one month ago until the recent changes.

After doing the installation with the terminal, (and repairing stuff as described before) I tried with r1684 pkg, which still included that option, but neither worked.

Looking at the scripts in the package, I think my procedure is basically the same approach.

If you believe that this does not incur the offtopic, I could write what I did, although I know that stuff is already posted on this and other forums, and can be somewhat redundant.

But, honestly, I do not think the issue is related to the installation method, there must be some other factor that is beyond me, because this has happened even with two different computers with the same motherboard model and the same kind of SSD. One of them was able to boot from the EFI, and the other not. Same hardware, same software... weird thing.

Went crazy for hours and finally had to leave the things in the 0s2 partition on that machine.

Only mention all this to make a report, whatever it is. I have searched far and have not found other users to describe something like this, at least not strictly related to the EFI partition.

I have read that there was a bug, "Issue 129: boot0 error on HDDs Sectors with 4K", and nothing similar has been documented about SSDs.

However, no fun if there is a bug and it only affects me. :worried_anim:

so, if i understood correctly, having a laptop with GT520MX graphics card, will it be recognized & working, even if it has intelHD3000 too ? Does it work for GT540M too ?

Thanks!

mal

- Added id into nvidia.c for GeForce GT 520MX : http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/217/
- Added support for using UUIDs with ext2 filesystems (credits to bitz): http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/208/
- Added Guerrero's patch on gui.c: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/178/
- Added scorpius's patch (to get an unstretched boot screen for nVidia cards on DVI) in boot0.s,
 disabled by default: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2158.0.html
- Added exFAT volume label support (FAT64) support (credit to dmazar):
 http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2095.0.html
- Added disableIRQs() http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=255866&view=findpost&p=1677779
 Port of original patch by: CPARM (who basically did this in boot.c) Thanks!
 The ACPI specification dictates that the 8259 (PC-AT compatible) vectors
 must be disabled (that is, masked) when enabling the ACPI APIC operation
 but this isn't done (apparently) on all mobo's and thus we do that here.

The rest is the same as main trunk code.

Fabio

so, if i understood correctly, having a laptop with GT520MX graphics card, will it be recognized & working, even if it has intelHD3000 too ? Does it work for GT540M too ?

Thanks!

mal

No idea...

With this you can see in the About This Mac, the Display is labelled as "GeForce GT 520MX"...

see the "issue" for reference: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/217/

Fabio

could it be possible that there's something wrong with the ION2 10de:0a64?

Because with GraphicsEnabler i don't get VideoGpu Acceleration and the whole Desktop behaves really slow.

So i'm just asking if i should look at the bootloader or at the kext.

The Bootloaders gui is really shoppy and it shows only 3mb of videoram.

Every display image takes 1-2 sec to draw.

My GT210 with the same Chipset runs really good in my other Mashine.

Zotac Zbox ID41, everything working

Oh god. I was creating a usb installer, decided to try the latest pkg here, and when the Cham Installer was almost done, it made my system pretty unresponsive. I did a force restart, and now the system hangs at boot. I find it strange seeing as I've never had a force restart make the system budge at all. =/ Time to troubleshoot.

Edit: Hmm. Booted into my backup partition/drive and I can't open the unbootable install. Says I don't have permission =/. Gave myself read/write via the get-info window, tried repairing permissions ussing kext wizard. Still no go =/.

Hi Enzo

Can you give some details of your system drives, partitions etc. ?

Did the installer write any part of the install log that you can post?

Looking at the scripts, the only place the running installer changes permissions is the postinstall script:

chmod 777 ${dest_vol}/Extra		 2>/dev/null
chmod 666 ${dest_vol}/Extra/*.plist 2>/dev/null

this has happened even with two different computers with the same motherboard model and the same kind of SSD. One of them was able to boot from the EFI, and the other not. Same hardware, same software... weird thing.

Hi Ed_Saxman

If one system booted and another system, using identical hardware, didn't then it points to a software setup. Maybe a BIOS setting?

I wasn't sure the installer had finished given the hang and force restart. It did write a log, and the flash drive was fully functional/bootable. Used it for an install even. Here's the log: http://cl.ly/EDnz

Before the force restart, I did see the EFI partition was just there on the Desktop for a good long while. That's when the system was rather unresponsive, apps would not open or close. I gave it some time before I tried unplugging the flash drive, there was no change, and then the force restart.

In regards to troubleshooting it, I booted my usb installer and used disk util to repair perms, made no change. Still hangs at boot. =/ I think I'll just be doing a Time Machine restore here soon.

Thanks for posting the log.

I see the postinstall script completed so that's good. That's the last thing the installer package runs.

I see the log shows the target as being /Volumes/Mac OS X Base System 1. A number 1 appended to the end of a volume normally indicates that two volumes of the same name are being used, but I don't see that in the diskutil list.... hmm I'm sure there's a logical explanation for that?

Seeing those errors at the end after 'Unmount all volumes named EFI' reminds me that I will have to merge some of the changes from my branch to the trunk as I had fixed that in my branch. That'll explain why your EFI system partition was left mounted.

Otherwise, the log looks okay.

Which is your main system that fails to boot. Is it Lion on disk0s3?

What happens when you try to boot your main system? Does booting with -v give any info?

Yeah, there was a second image mounted with the same name, I unmounted it mid way through the cham installer or maybe just before starting it. I tried waiting it out, but it had been longer than usual, and again, the system unnreponsive. I didn't think a force restart would be that big a deal =P. The main drive is the 40GB (SSD w/Trim enabled) "Mac", "Lion" is the backup install I am on now.

-V Doesn't give me much. It hangs just after dsmos has arrived, right at "device in slot: slot--1 **", if I give it a good long while, I get another line or two that isn't useful either.

I've never tried unmounting a volume whilst running any installer and I wouldn't recommend doing so, but still, I wouldn't have thought that would have caused the issue you've had.

As for the force restart, I don't think that would have caused your problem as I guess the permissions were already being changed before that?.. though my previous experience with Macs for many years has taught me to always boot in to single user mode and run fsck after any forced shutdown. Maybe that's just old habits but I still do it now - infact I had to force off my iMac 27" running 10.7.3 twice today due to bad system issues!! that's another story....

Your "device in slot: slot--1 **" error I've never seen here, but a quick search points to it maybe being graphics related.. Have you tried booting in safe mode?

If you can't restore from your time machine backup then there's always the option of doing an 'archive install' from the retail image over your existing system.

Well, in regards to unmounting that particular volume, pretty sure it was done just before the cham installer, but it retained the "1" I believe. I've done so many force restarts in these hack-ish times =P, never had one do this.

I don't suppost fsck in single user is any different than Repair Disk via Disk Utility? Will give it a shot, why not. Afterwards, just doing a re-install over the existing one. My Time Machine is about a month old haha.

In any case, so it doesn't make sense it was the cham pkg installer? I mean I had a few apps open, but nothing that would mess with the system and make it hang that way I don't think, and then subsequently make it unbootable after the restart...

Edit: installing over existing install worked just fine =).

I think fsck does exactly the same as running repair disk from Disk Utility, though it allows it to be done before attempting to boot in to the OS so gives it a chance to maybe correct an issue which may cause problems later on in the boot procedure.

It would be foolish of me to rule out the installer being the cause of your permissions issue and will endeavour to run some tests here hopefully over the weekend. But I can safely say I have run this installer hundreds of times without issue.

Good to hear the archive install worked for you, to bring your system back though still, you shouldn't have had to do it. :mellow: