Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

@ Mozodojo, Zef, Rekursor, and other Chameleon devs, what do you think about combining your work with Valv's work?

I think there is way too many Chameleon versions at the moment, each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

So it would be great if you could all work on the same version instead of many different versions. Just a thought.

@ Mozodojo, Zef, Rekursor, and other Chameleon devs, what do you think about combining your work with Valv's work?

I think there is way too many Chameleon versions at the moment, each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

So it would be great if you could all work on the same version instead of many different versions. Just a thought.

They are already working together, valv's works is a branch of chameleon, like mozodojos one or rekursors one. The trunk is a mix of all the modifications made by all the dev.

don't worry, imho a new valv release with mozo's cstate & pstate generator, should be available soon :)

This is normal, because there is no serial number available by the spd memory,

so in that case we generate one ...

It doesn't matter what number it contains in that case.

-Rek

Thanks for your work.

Devices: 945GCM-S2L, DDR2 667 MHz 2 x 1 GB

I could see mem detection at booting correctly but mem report in System Profiler was wrong.

updated @ 21.01

Devices:EP45-UD3R, G.Skill DDR2 1066 MHz 2 x 2 GB

rekusor's boot

AsereBLN's boot

from CPU-Z

post-93383-1279893577_thumb.jpg

Hi rek!

Thanks, the detection works pretty fast now! :) Only one downside: I got 800MHz displayed again for my 1066MHz Kingston modules. r204 detects the correct 1066MHz frequency (removed the empty BANK1/3 results):

mmm, I'll investigate that :rolleyes:

do both versions have this problem ?

EDIT: Here's a version that should fix the pb for you Zef:

Tell me if you got your mem freq back :D

It's in the trunk now, rev. 210

Here:

boot_3.zip

They are already working together, valv's works is a branch of chameleon, like mozodojos one or rekursors one. The trunk is a mix of all the modifications made by all the dev.

don't worry, imho a new valv release with mozo's cstate & pstate generator, should be available soon :)

Cool, that's great! :rolleyes:

I'll be happy to start testing it as soon as i free up a hard drive for this. (I always prefer testing stuff on a clean vanilla install.)

Just tested the latest version from mozodojo's branch. My system still reboots the moment chameleon attempts to generate my CPU's P-States. C-State generation still works fine as far as I can tell.

Is there any way to get chameleon to dump anymore information on this to a log or something? I can imagine that just saying that my system just reboots when it generates P-States isn't particularly helpful.

Hi rek

this my findings on rev211

----

memll.jpg

----

The vendor and model are ok and DDR type too but the frequency no

I set auto in my Bios and at startup is always at 1066 and here is showed at 1333

Fabio

Did you have a different value with r207 ?

Thanks

Hi rek

this my findings on rev211

The vendor and model are ok and DDR type too but the frequency no

I set auto in my Bios and at startup is always at 1066 and here is showed at 1333

Fabio

latest version from 1st post

I removed p and c states from my dsdt and have added p and c state options to my c.a.b. plist.

Now, msr tools reads pstates as before but voltages are now pegged @ 1.324. Everything's normal when i revert. What have I missed?

Otherwise great work!!!

This is normal, because there is no serial number available by the spd memory,

so in that case we generate one ...

It doesn't matter what number it contains in that case.

-Rek

mmm, I'll investigate that :D

do both versions have this problem ?

EDIT: Here's a version that should fix the pb for you Zef:

Tell me if you got your mem freq back :(

It's in the trunk now, rev. 210

Here:

boot_3.zip

Thank you very much for fixing mem report.

Devices: 945GCM-S2L, DDR2 667 MHz 2 x 1 GB

Bank0/1/A0:

Size:	1 GB
 Type:	DDR2 SDRAM
 Speed:	667 MHz
 Manufacturer:	Kingston
 Part Number:	9905316-005.A04LF
 Serial Number:	FFFFFF94

Bank2/3/A1:

Size:	1 GB
 Speed:	667 MHz
 Manufacturer:	Kingston
 Part Number:	9905316-005.A04LF
 Serial Number:	FFFFFF8E

I will report EP45-UD3R & DDR2 1066 MHz 2 x 2 GB later.

Still get 800 MHz.

Memory detection with latest from trunk:

Memory Slots:

ECC:	Disabled

Bank0/1/A0:

Size:	Empty
 Type:	Empty
 Speed:	Empty
 Manufacturer:	Empty
 Part Number:	Empty
 Serial Number:	Empty

Bank2/3/A1:

Size:	2 GB
 Speed:	800 MHz
 Manufacturer:	G Skill Intl
 Part Number:	F2-9600CL5-2GBTD
 Serial Number:	100000000

Bank4/5/A2:

Size:	Empty
 Type:	Empty
 Speed:	Empty
 Manufacturer:	Empty
 Part Number:	Empty
 Serial Number:	Empty

Bank6/7/A3:

Size:	2 GB
 Speed:	800 MHz
 Manufacturer:	G Skill Intl
 Part Number:	F2-9600CL5-2GBTD
 Serial Number:	100000001

Everything else is right except speed. Should be 1200 MHz.

Hi Rekursor

I've just got round to trying out your revised boot files and here's my report from using boot_3.zip (r210).

Result

• The GUI appears in the blink of an eye.. So fast!.. nice :D

• Your memory detection had previously worked for my system as far as showing me Size, Type, Speed and Status. But now I have Manufacturer and Part Number too :D

My serial number still shows as blank, but it did with Asere's loader too and back when I was testing that Asere said to me the reason was because he's 99% sure the serial number is missing from the SPD.

So for me, your revisions are perfect. Well done :)

For reference my memory is: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 CL5 1.8v

I have attached a screenshot of SystemProfiler.

post-331032-1279956046_thumb.png

Latest version works, no more "Memory allocation error".

Speed still wrong tho. Should be 850 MHz.

Slot memoria:

ECC:	Disabilitato

Bank0/1/A0:

Dimensioni:	2 GB
 Tipo:	DDR2 SDRAM
 Velocità:	800 MHz
 Stato:	OK
 Produttore:	Team Group
 Codice prodotto:	Xtreem-Dark-1066C6
 Numero di serie:	100000000

Bank2/3/A1:

Numero di serie:	100000001

Bank4/5/A2:

Numero di serie:	100000002

Bank6/7/A3:

Numero di serie:	100000003

Almost there. You're doing an awesome work, guys.

Biciolino

My report with Chameleon rev. 207 and rev. 214 (downloaded from the 1st post):

Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2,93GHz is correctly recognized in "About this Mac" with both r. 204 and r. 214. It seems those new Intel "i" series are a little bit tricky to get correctly recognized. Im sure you'll manage to recognize and show'em correctly, eventually :)

r. 214 boots ways faster than r. 204

r. 204 showed me only the memory size, type and frequency info.

r. 214 shows me the memory manufacturer and respective Part Number, only missing the serial number.

Memory slots:

What I'm more concerned and interested is the fact i have a little bit hotter CPU with both r. 204 and r. 214 -- 39 degrees. I had 36 to 37 degrees booting with valv's boot loader. SpeedStep is working for me -- left only _PR scope in DSDT. IOReg shows my CPU 6 power states are loaded. In my boot.plist these are the values of the newly added keys:

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

examples:

It's strange that mark-i shows always lower CPU temps, than VoodooMonitor and iStat

Im using the following boot.plist keys that valv implemented in his Chameleon version and I wonder if they are also implemented in the mozodojo's revisions:

<key>oemDSDT</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>oemFADT</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>oemSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>FixFSB</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>ForceFSB</key>
<string>266</string>
<key>busratio</key>
<string>110</string>

Here's my DSDT (if someone wants to use it for reference, comparison, etc.)

I'll be glad to help having better and better Chameleon and if possible to lower my CPU temps.

Will continue to test and report on newer revisions. :)

You're doing extraordinary things, keep up the good work, guys -_-

I need photos from Chameleon log (use "Wait" option in boot.plist) to solve problems with incorrect CPU type injection and non-working P-States because of invalid chars in ProcessorOP.

mozodojo, here's mine Chameleon log. Hope it will help you:

EDIT: Is it correct to remove all the PSS, PSD and CST packages from CPU scope in the DSDT, use GeneratePState=Yes, GenerateCState=Yes, DropSSDT=Yes and to leave only this

Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06){}
	Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06){}
	Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06){}
	Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06){}			   
}

as the CPU scope in order correct boot and utilization of the CPU power management handled via your Chameleon version?

mozodojo, here's mine Chameleon log. Hope it will help you:

Not so, because everything seems working for you 100%.

EDIT: Is it correct to remove all the PSS, PSD and CST packages from CPU scope in the DSDT, use GeneratePState=Yes, GenerateCState=Yes, DropSSDT=Yes and to leave only this

Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06){}
	Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06){}
	Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06){}
	Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06){}			   
}

as the CPU scope in order correct boot and utilization of the CPU power management handled via your Chameleon version?

Yes! Remove all _PSS and _CST. _PSD could stay... Is it really needed? Not tested it yet, don't know if Mac OS uses _PSD ever like it described in documentation.

Hi Rekursor

I've just got round to trying out your revised boot files and here's my report from using boot_3.zip (r210).

So for me, your revisions are perfect. Well done :)

Great thanks go to mozodojo as well, because without his alphanum characters filter fix, you would probably have a profiler problem ;)

Also for me. Speed still wrong too. Should be 900 MHz in oc. It's 800. Not a big problem but...

Unfortunately, the OC speed can't be fixed with latest changes because it needs special (new) code addon to read the oc speed directly from the memory controller ...

Unfortunately, the OC speed can't be fixed with latest changes because it needs special (new) code addon to read the oc speed directly from the memory controller ...

Mine actually is a 1200 MHz kit and I am running it at exactly that speed, FSB is 500 MHz and FSB:DRAM ratio is 5:6.

Great thanks go to mozodojo as well, because without his alphanum characters filter fix, you would probably have a profiler problem :(

It was a problem with Serial Number conversion to ASCII string in our latest revision. I've posted changes, should work now like in everest or asere's boot. Maybe only needed to refine conversion algo.