945G Chipset working

cyrana

347 posts in this topic

Had bad perms and spelled Cyrana's name wrong in the credz, here is the new version, sorry about that folks. And my Install DVD is done and works, now to find the easiest way to share how I did it with others :P

I'm a pain in the ... but I tried unpacking the zip you posted but it seems to be empty, could you post it somewhere, thank you!

Well I guess somebody has done this before, but to get through the still waiting for root device, and since I wasnt able to modify the DVD, I used VMware and created a machine with a physical drive (my SATA HD) and got it installed there, but I wasn't able to run it natively so I decided to change the kexts, using cyrana's method and the post about SATA in the first page of this thread, booted with -f and got it natively from my SATA HD. So right now I am missing audio support, and in the system provider I only get to see 1 CPU, I don't know exactly if it is recoginzing both cores. I just have to say thanks to everybody!

Well I guess somebody has done this before, but to get through the still waiting for root device, and since I wasnt able to modify the DVD, I used VMware and created a machine with a physical drive (my SATA HD) and got it installed there, but I wasn't able to run it natively so I decided to change the kexts, using cyrana's method and the post about SATA in the first page of this thread, booted with -f and got it natively from my SATA HD. So right now I am missing audio support, and in the system provider I only get to see 1 CPU, I don't know exactly if it is recoginzing both cores. I just have to say thanks to everybody!

You likely have the Sigmatel Audio, to which there are no drivers yet.

Hi all...

I love this forum. I am a Windows user since v3, that being said, I know a lot about PC's and Windows and have installed or configured 100's in my almost 20 years of working with them.

When it comes to Linux or OSX, I am completely in the dark. I have tinkered a bit, but have no real undersanding of how they work. I just can't seem to get the Windows way of doing things out of my head.

Well I am trying to build an OSX86 PC on a 945G motherboard with GMA950. I have seen several posts with people that have edited or have replaced kexts files. There are also a lot of different patches floating around and it is very hard to tell what is what or from when. I am not sure which is new or the same...etc. Here are the 3 945G kext files I currently have... Which do I need to install, and how do I install them. I know ther is no *.exe file, but thats what I am looking for. Please help...

945Kext-cyrana-rev1.zip

945gExtensions_0.2.pkg.zip

945G Chipset Kexts-10.4.1-rev 1.zip

I am installing this on a Dell Dimension 5150 and I am pretty sure everything is compatible except the audio. I have several different OSX files to choose from... I do not have my own DVD image as others do since I am not sure how to make it with the patches and all of the other files I have. Here is a list...

tiger-x86-flat.img

10.4.3_8f1099_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg

Marklar-Tiger.dmg

Patches:

Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1

OSX86.patch2+3[ATA.AC97.PS2.oahd.Extensions]

CoreGraphics

OSXupdate.tar

mach_kernel.nonx_with_sse3_test2.zip

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need and don't need? What is alread combined in another package or image? How do I go about making an install DVD and what image and files do I need to use? How do I install the kext files?

Thank you so much...

Hi all...

I love this forum. I am a Windows user since v3, that being said, I know a lot about PC's and Windows and have installed or configured 100's in my almost 20 years of working with them.

When it comes to Linux or OSX, I am completely in the dark. I have tinkered a bit, but have no real undersanding of how they work. I just can't seem to get the Windows way of doing things out of my head.

Well I am trying to build an OSX86 PC on a 945G motherboard with GMA950. I have seen several posts with people that have edited or have replaced kexts files. There are also a lot of different patches floating around and it is very hard to tell what is what or from when. I am not sure which is new or the same...etc. Here are the 3 945G kext files I currently have... Which do I need to install, and how do I install them. I know ther is no *.exe file, but thats what I am looking for. Please help...

945Kext-cyrana-rev1.zip

945gExtensions_0.2.pkg.zip

945G Chipset Kexts-10.4.1-rev 1.zip

I am installing this on a Dell Dimension 5150 and I am pretty sure everything is compatible except the audio. I have several different OSX files to choose from... I do not have my own DVD image as others do since I am not sure how to make it with the patches and all of the other files I have. Here is a list...

tiger-x86-flat.img

10.4.3_8f1099_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg

Marklar-Tiger.dmg

Patches:

Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1

OSX86.patch2+3[ATA.AC97.PS2.oahd.Extensions]

CoreGraphics

OSXupdate.tar

mach_kernel.nonx_with_sse3_test2.zip

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need and don't need? What is alread combined in another package or image? How do I go about making an install DVD and what image and files do I need to use? How do I install the kext files?

Thank you so much...

Well you made a good job downloading, I'd really like to see what the extensions.pkg.zip is about yet hehe. You see I managed to install natively OSX only with MArklar-tiger.dmg, patcher release1 and VMware and edited kexts with cyrana's zip but this guys are working on DVD installer, I think you may do one with the 945Extensions.pkg.zip if this are the right Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, since they are responsible for loading the drivers, so it wouldnt help (I've already tried) adding new kexts to the DVD but not update the latter.

Well you made a good job downloading, I'd really like to see what the extensions.pkg.zip is about yet hehe. You see I managed to install natively OSX only with MArklar-tiger.dmg, patcher release1 and VMware and edited kexts with cyrana's zip but this guys are working on DVD installer, I think you may do one with the 945Extensions.pkg.zip if this are the right Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, since they are responsible for loading the drivers, so it wouldnt help (I've already tried) adding new kexts to the DVD but not update the latter.

I believe "TheSin" (THANKS) made the 945gExtensions_0.2.pkg.zip. It is a package of the 945Kext-cyrana-rev1.zip made by Cyrana (THANKS) from what I have read.

This is where I am at... I had the Deadmoo image installed on my older Dell Dimension 8300, not sure of the exact specs, but it seemed to work okay minus the audio and video. The NIC and SATA both worked right away.

I have been itching to buy a Mac for over 2 years now and don't want to buy one now because of the pending marriage. So I bought a Dimension 5150 to hopefully install OSX86 on until the time is right to buy.

The 5150 has:

P4 630 3.0GHz

1024mb DDR2 533

80GB SATA Hard Drive

Sigmatel STAC9220 Audio

Intel GMA950 video

Intel 945G Express Chipset

ICH7 with raid 1

I copied the Deadmoo image to the hard drive using the DD method, rebooted and got hung up at the following when using –v at boot...

"ApplegenericPCATADriver: CMD 0x1F0, CTR 0x3f4 IRQ 14

Still waiting for root device."

From what I have read it’s the ICH7 SATA driver that is causing the hang up. I installed the 945gExtensions_0.2.pkg.zip package, but didn't know how to install the others. I am not sure which has the SATA ICH7 driver in it.

I then imaged the partition using Acronis True Image and restored the image to my 2.5" USB drive. I took the drive out of the external case and installed it into the computer using an IDE adapter and disconnected the SATA hard drive and disabled it in the bios. I reboot selecting the 2.5" hard drive and it takes a few minutes, but then it gets right into OSX. I was able to then change my screen resolution all the way up to 1600x1200. I guess the video drivers were in the package I installed.

So now it seems my only remaining issue besides the audio is the SATA ICH7 driver. I rebooted from the 2.5" drive and hooked the SATA drive back up. I can see the larger SATA drive in finder, just can't boot to it.

I restored the 2.5” hard drive 6.6GB partition to a 20GB partition on the SATA hard drive under OSX. I read several ways of doing this, this seemed to be the easiest. So I shut down the computer and disconnect the 2.5” drive and reboot. I first see the windows boot menu and if I select OSX, I get a “Chain Boot Error” message… Because it still wont recognize the SATA drive. There is probably a problem with the way I restored the partition in OSX from the 2.5” drive. I checked the log and there were no errors.

Once I can get everything working well for now, I want to tackle making my own DVD from the ISO files I have. Hopefully someone can help me with this and / or point me in the right direction. Reading all of the posts in the forums is really getting me more confused with all the files being named differently or with people posting bad information.

Is anyone able to walk me through installing the SATA driver? That’s pretty much what I want to accomplish first.

Thanks!

I've already posted very briefly what I did to get through the SATA recognition, and I found this a very practical solution. Here is again:

-Install VMware in your Win HD

-Create A Virtual Machine:

-Select custom Virtual Machine

-Select Other when it asks for OS type and support or whatever in the same window (this is more or less

the same as xpl0de installation of darwin)

-Network support didnt work for me with VMware so select whatever u want, same with RAM

-When asked select "use physical hard disk" insted of creating a Virtual Disk (so the OS installs in your

SATA HD) and select destination Harddisk I didn't modeified any further options on this regard.

-You can tell VMware to use your physical CD-ROM and insert your already patched with release 1 Marklar

DVD or you can have the patched DVD iso mounted selecting the option on the cd support for your VM.

-Now boot your VMmachine and go to the VM BIOS and you will see "None" in Hard Drive, change it to Auto, and choose CD boot.

-Reboot your VM. Voila you should be booting Marklar installation DVD now,

-When installer comes up launch the disk utilities app. You will see the HD you have choosen in VM options. Make a HFS+ partition, check it an mount it.

-Ok, Leave the disk utility and continue installation. When asked for destination, you will see your recently mounted HFS+ partition, selcet it and

-Select custom install or install options I dont remember exactly, youll see the elements being installed, add needed hacks.

-Ok finish you installation, reboot your VM, youll be booting OSX in VMware, you are almost done.

-Have your Cyrana's zip uncompressed, now make an ISO (I used ULTRAISO) with a folder containing the kexts)

-Write down or either memoriza the line commands on the first page of this thread: sudo chown -R root:wheel <Filename> and sudo chmod -R 755 <Filename>, you will be using them much.

-Set your VM to use your recently made ISO as CD-ROM drive

-Boot your VM, now you will see a CD with the cyrana's kexts in it.

-Open /System/Library/Extensions with finder and open a terminal (go->utilities and look for terminal)

-Once in the terminal window cd /System/Library/Extensions

-Now "sudo mv <filename.extension> <filename.extension.old> to every kext or bundle or pluging matching the ones you have in your cd (your going to replace them, better make a backup).

-You are almost done. Copy the kexts and everything on Cyranas CD to the /System/Library/Extensions, your finder is already there so just pull them

-Change permissions using the sudo chown and sudo chmod in the terminal as I told you before, do it for every file you have copied.

-In the terminal "cd .." then "sudo rm Extensions.mkext" "sudo rm Extensions.kextcache"

-Now go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (use finder if you want)

-Double click com.apple.Boot.plist, expand root, you will see "Boot graphics, kernel, kernel flags", you need to edit kernel flags, double click on the value field and add -f, that's all

-You will have to save this to your desktop as com.apple.Boot.plist (be sure you are using plist) as system won't let you save in this folder, no problem, save it then just move it to the right folder and ask for replace/overwrite)

-Everything fine? your OSX is ready to be booted outside VMware.

-Just in case reboot your OSX inside you VM an then turn it off and leave win, in fact you may turn off your PC

-You say you have D945 so I'll ell you what I did to boot my D945, Turn it on and press <F2> to go to the options

-Go to the Boot Menu and press enter on the Hard drive and give priority to your SATA where you've installed OSX (this is done just by presing + until it is on top of the list).

-Remove any devices such as CDs, or anything that could boot instead of your har drive.

-Save and reboot

-This is it, you have finally made it. Congratulations. Now look for a driver for Sigmatel Audio and we'll all be happy!!

Tried that all ready, the big problem is getting that second VEN/DEV. And that is why I think i need to install windows first. I can't find it in Linux and as that post stated it seems to not be active till the drivers load or something. I'm gonna install windows today and try it out.

Vendor/Device ID for second device is 0x808627D8 (not device/vendor)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_03038086&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&D8

This is for my D945GNTLR

I modified kexts but still without any audio

I've already posted very briefly what I did to get through the SATA recognition, and I found this a very practical solution. Here is again:

-Install VMware in your Win HD

-Create A Virtual Machine:

-Select custom Virtual Machine

-Select Other when it asks for OS type and support or whatever in the same window (this is more or less

the same as xpl0de installation of darwin)

-Network support didnt work for me with VMware so select whatever u want, same with RAM

-When asked select "use physical hard disk" insted of creating a Virtual Disk (so the OS installs in your

SATA HD) and select destination Harddisk I didn't modeified any further options on this regard.

-You can tell VMware to use your physical CD-ROM and insert your already patched with release 1 Marklar

DVD or you can have the patched DVD iso mounted selecting the option on the cd support for your VM.

-Now boot your VMmachine and go to the VM BIOS and you will see "None" in Hard Drive, change it to Auto, and choose CD boot.

-Reboot your VM. Voila you should be booting Marklar installation DVD now,

-When installer comes up launch the disk utilities app. You will see the HD you have choosen in VM options. Make a HFS+ partition, check it an mount it.

-Ok, Leave the disk utility and continue installation. When asked for destination, you will see your recently mounted HFS+ partition, selcet it and

-Select custom install or install options I dont remember exactly, youll see the elements being installed, add needed hacks.

-Ok finish you installation, reboot your VM, youll be booting OSX in VMware, you are almost done.

-Have your Cyrana's zip uncompressed, now make an ISO (I used ULTRAISO) with a folder containing the kexts)

-Write down or either memoriza the line commands on the first page of this thread: sudo chown -R root:wheel <Filename> and sudo chmod -R 755 <Filename>, you will be using them much.

-Set your VM to use your recently made ISO as CD-ROM drive

-Boot your VM, now you will see a CD with the cyrana's kexts in it.

-Open /System/Library/Extensions with finder and open a terminal (go->utilities and look for terminal)

-Once in the terminal window cd /System/Library/Extensions

-Now "sudo mv <filename.extension> <filename.extension.old> to every kext or bundle or pluging matching the ones you have in your cd (your going to replace them, better make a backup).

-You are almost done. Copy the kexts and everything on Cyranas CD to the /System/Library/Extensions, your finder is already there so just pull them

-Change permissions using the sudo chown and sudo chmod in the terminal as I told you before, do it for every file you have copied.

-In the terminal "cd .." then "sudo rm Extensions.mkext" "sudo rm Extensions.kextcache"

-Now go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (use finder if you want)

-Double click com.apple.Boot.plist, expand root, you will see "Boot graphics, kernel, kernel flags", you need to edit kernel flags, double click on the value field and add -f, that's all

-You will have to save this to your desktop as com.apple.Boot.plist (be sure you are using plist) as system won't let you save in this folder, no problem, save it then just move it to the right folder and ask for replace/overwrite)

-Everything fine? your OSX is ready to be booted outside VMware.

-Just in case reboot your OSX inside you VM an then turn it off and leave win, in fact you may turn off your PC

-You say you have D945 so I'll ell you what I did to boot my D945, Turn it on and press <F2> to go to the options

-Go to the Boot Menu and press enter on the Hard drive and give priority to your SATA where you've installed OSX (this is done just by presing + until it is on top of the list).

-Remove any devices such as CDs, or anything that could boot instead of your har drive.

-Save and reboot

-This is it, you have finally made it. Congratulations. Now look for a driver for Sigmatel Audio and we'll all be happy!!

Thanks Erick for the in-depth instructions. I am still having a problem getting the SATA to work. I started all over. Originally, I had OSX (Deadmoo Image) installed as a dual boot with WinXP and I couldn't boot into OSX. I decided to try another method.

I made a patched DVD ISO of OSX 10.4.1 using the Marklar-Tiger.dmg. All went well with making the DVD. I then installed an IDE or PATA hard drive in my Dimension 5150 making it master and the DVDRW slave as there is only one IDE connector on the motherboard. I totally disconnected the SATA hard drive and disabled it in bios.

I booted with the DVD and did a native (bare) install of OSX on the hard drive. Went well, then I added the 945gExtensions_0.2.pkg.zip package which gave me the GMA950 video. After that, I used the 10.41 to 10.43 patch to upgrade OSX. I believe this just adds functionality for some of the standard Mac applications. That all went fine...

So next, I hooked the SATA hard drive back up and enabled it in bios. I booted into OSX and use the Disk Tools to erase the SATA hard drive which was recognized and I then restored the IDE (PATA) hard drive OSX partition to a new HSF+ partition on the SATA hard drive. The entire process took about 40 minutes since it was installed on a 20 GB partition to a 20 GB partition.

After the restore, I fixed the drive permissions and rebooted. I hit F12 on my Dell to get a boot menu and selected the SATA hard drive. I saw the Darwin menu, but it was the one from the OSX install on the IDE (PATA) hard drive. I know this because I could see the drive numbers and the partition labels of the other partition (FAT32) on the IDE (PATA) drive. So it did boot back into OSX and from there, I could see that I had 3 Drives, the IDE (PATA), partitions OSX and FAT32, and the OSX on the SATA drive.

So I shut down and removed the IDE (PATA) hard drive and disabled it in the bios and making the DVDRW master again. I then rebooted with only the SATA hard drive in and got to the Darwin boot menu and selected the OSX install. I then got a HFS+ partition error and could go no further. I tried to use the -v command and still got the same error.

I have looked all over to find the SATA driver and can't seem to find the correct one or version. A lot of the links I found were either dead or were just a renamed copy of the 945Kext-cyrana-rev1.zip or 945gExtensions_0.2.pkg.zip which I already installed befor restoring the drive to the SATA drive.

Do you know where I can get the files that actually work or could you please walk me through editing the kexts for the SATA driver Vendor/Device ID? I have seen several posts talking about editing these files, but I am to new to Mac and Linux to really comprehend how. There really isn't any basic information on editing these that I could find.

Once I know how to edit them, I want to figure out how to edit my native install DVD ISO to include them from a basic install so I do not have this problem.

Thanks for all of your help and if anyone else has any input, please post it... I am going to start a new topic and hopefully it will help other newbies like me.

SATA support must work adding the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext, at least that work for me, also if you need to edit the kexts I don't think we could get any furhter than adding the right device/vendor ID to the IOPCIPrimaryMatch in the Info.plist of the kexts. Documentation on programming drivers for MAC OSX is on apple developers site, but there's much to learn. I would advise you to check your windows device manager's IDE/ATA ATAPI Controlers and look for the ICH7 Serial ATA properties to look for the proper device/vendor ID, you can see this info in the Details and it must be something like this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&SUBSYS_544E8086&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FA

So Vendor ID is 8086 and Device ID is 27c0, so you must add 0x27c08086 to

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27c08086 0x27c18086 0x27c38086 </string>

in the ICH6 Serial ATA Controller section of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

It will be good Idea to add IONetworkingFamily.kext as u can see posted up this thread.

(It work for me) and remember to delete extensions.mkext and .kextcache and boot using -f -v flags

SATA support must work adding the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext, at least that work for me, also if you need to edit the kexts I don't think we could get any furhter than adding the right device/vendor ID to the IOPCIPrimaryMatch in the Info.plist of the kexts. Documentation on programming drivers for MAC OSX is on apple developers site, but there's much to learn. I would advise you to check your windows device manager's IDE/ATA ATAPI Controlers and look for the ICH7 Serial ATA properties to look for the proper device/vendor ID, you can see this info in the Details and it must be something like this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&SUBSYS_544E8086&REV_01\3&61AAA01&0&FA

So Vendor ID is 8086 and Device ID is 27c0, so you must add 0x27c08086 to

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x27c08086 0x27c18086 0x27c38086 </string>

in the ICH6 Serial ATA Controller section of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

It will be good Idea to add IONetworkingFamily.kext as u can see posted up this thread.

(It work for me) and remember to delete extensions.mkext and .kextcache and boot using -f -v flags

Thanks again Erick...

I have done some more reading and read your post again for the 5th time. I installed OSX using the OSX install DVD I made from the Marklar-Tiger.dmg. Windows is not even installed on this machine. I installed it on an IDE hard drive...

I have applied the Cyrana patch already. Seeing the SATA drive is not a problem. I can see it and add and remove partitions using the Disk Tool in OSX. The problem I am having is restoring the OSX partition from my IDE hard drive to my SATA hard drive. I want to totally take out the IDE hard drive and just boot into OSX using the SATA hard drive. My system isn't built or made to use a IDE hard drive... There is no space for one and only one IDE channel on the mobo which is for the DVDRW.

After restoring the partition to the SATA hard drive, I reboot and get a "HFS+ Partition Error" and have to shut down. The system will not boot from the SATA hard drive even after I applied the Cyrana patch and restored it from teh IDE hard drive. That's why I was wondering how to add the patch directly to the OSX install DVD I made. Unless there is a way I can force it to boot to the SATA hard drive...

How did you install OSX? Did you use VMWare and the Deadmoo image? Then move it to your SATA hard drive? I have done this on my other pc and on my old Dell 8300 and it worked, I was able to boot from the SATA drive. I just had other problems such as moving to a larger partition, video, and audio. Thats why I bought the Dimension 5150. I read that ICH7 and GMA950 was working and want to install and use it as a stand alone mac. I have another PC that I use for windows xp.

Do you understand what I want to do now?

I am going to reinstall XP to double check the vendor and device id. My system has RAID 1 so I don't know if that makes a difference. This is what I saw on the linux PCI Repository page:

Intel Vendor ID: 8086 (Bold is what is in the patch and what you used)

27c0 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE

27c1 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=AHCI

27c3 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=RAID

27c4 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE

27c5 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=AHCI

27c6 82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=RAID

I am wondering if I need to add other entries? When I go to edit the Info.plist, do I do it in windows with a text editor or do I need to do it in OSX with a different editor? I can open the Info.plist on my other pc using notepad, but I am not sure if that is the right way to do it.

If I wanted to include these in my native install DVD, can I just replace them using UltraISO and then burn the ISO or do I need to do it another way? By doing this, would it allow the native install DVD to install to my SATA drive?

Thanks

I haven't succesfully modified the iso, since ULTRAISO doesn't seem to see Extensions.mkext, or Extensions.kextkache, as a matter of fact if you read or even look at the files in the release1 patched DVD you won't see /Sysitem/Library/Extensions, Bender deleted this and just added His own Extensions.mkext as I understand, so theoretically this would be the two files you would have to add in order to add driver support.

About moving your installation to a SATA partition I have no info, all steps seem right, I understand you made a new HFS+ partition using diskutility and then back up your ATA to the SATA partition. Have you tried disabeling the IDE hard disk? Seems to me OSX is not properly restored to SATA, as it doesn't seem to boot itself.

I haven't succesfully modified the iso, since ULTRAISO doesn't seem to see Extensions.mkext, or Extensions.kextkache, as a matter of fact if you read or even look at the files in the release1 patched DVD you won't see /Sysitem/Library/Extensions, Bender deleted this and just added His own Extensions.mkext as I understand, so theoretically this would be the two files you would have to add in order to add driver support.

About moving your installation to a SATA partition I have no info, all steps seem right, I understand you made a new HFS+ partition using diskutility and then back up your ATA to the SATA partition. Have you tried disabeling the IDE hard disk? Seems to me OSX is not properly restored to SATA, as it doesn't seem to boot itself.

I can post the proper mkext, but I have no place to post it. Also you'll need to modify the installer so it installs the 945g kexts during the install phase or it won't boot on restart.

Well after 2 days of pulling my hair out, I finally got it… Thank you Erick for pointing me in the right direction. I did quite a bit of reading to figure this out, this is what I did.

First off, I added the 945gExtensions.pkg patch which added the SATA and video among other things. I kept thinking about your post on how you edited the kext file and added the vendor and device ID’s. I was sure that after adding the 945gExtensions.pkg that the SATA was working since I could see the SATA hard drive in OSX that was on my IDE drive. I just couldn’t boot or install to it.

Well I was half right, the info.plist had only one of the vendor and device ID’s in it. The one for IDE in bold below…

27c0 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE

27c1 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=AHCI

27c3 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=RAID

I had to do a lot of reading in order to figure that out. I didn’t know how to edit the kext files. This is how I did it…

1. Open the /system/library/extensions/ folder and copied the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to the desktop by right clicking it (dragging it may also work) and copying it then pasting it to the desktop.

2. Then rename the original kext AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.old in the /system/library/extensions/ folder.

3. Right click on the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext file on the desktop and select “show package contents”.

4. In the new window that opens, you will see the package contents and the Info.plist file. Right click on the Info.plist file and select “Open > with” and the select texedit.

5. Now scroll down to the section that says “ICH6 Serial ATA Controller” and go to the line

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> and just below it edit the string as follows:

<string>0x27c08086 0x27c18086 0x27c38086</string>

this adds the IDE, AHCI, and RAID for the ICH7 Serial controller. Remove anything else that is between the <string> and </string>

6. Now save the file and close the text editor. Also close the open package so you are bak to the desktop.

7. Open the extensions folder again and now drag the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext file you just edited into it. If you are prompted to authenticate, do so and enter your password.

8. Almost done… Now go to the Applications/Utilities folder and open Terminal.

9. In terminal, type the following:

“sudo chmod –R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext” minus the quotes and hit enter. You may need your password…

10. Again in terminal type the following:

“sudo chown –R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext” minus the quotes.

11. Close terminal.

12. Open the /System/Library/ folder and delete extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache.

13. Reboot and you are golden!!! Use -f -v when you get to the Darwin prompt. I tried with out it, but it hangs at waiting for root device.

I hope this helps everyone out. It took me days to figure it out and put together from all of the different posts. You can edit other kext files in the same manner by changing the file name.

Good luck, I am off to play with OSX!

I can post the proper mkext, but I have no place to post it. Also you'll need to modify the installer so it installs the 945g kexts during the install phase or it won't boot on restart.

What are the proper mkexts and how would I insert them into my ISO?

Everything is running great now. I got a 61.49 on my xbench a little bit ago. I have the screen resolution bumped up to 1920x1600 and it looks great. I am really thrilled with this. I just wish the adio worked. Any ideas on a good audio card that will work with this? One comment though, I have to enter -f -v at the Darwin boot prompt or else I get the dreaded "Waiting for Root Device". Where can I find more out about the differeent switches?

I am going to the book store tomorrow and getting a book or 3 on OSX. I am just fumbling around right now, but really want to learn. Thanks for all the help.

TheSin, how big is the mket? I may be able to host it for a few days...

A quick screen cap...

1920x16005xj.jpg

CHEERS!

I'm proud to present you...

Working Sigmatel 9220!

Yes, it's true.

After native 10.4.3 installation Sigmatel 9220 soundcard JUST WORKS!

USB Soundcards are now obsolete, Azalia brings you perfect audio.

And Azalia drivers support input, output and line-in...

Also - 10.4.3 have got full support for 945G line. SATA, sound and networking just works!

And Flash player is fully working.

Now we are waiting for updated 10.4.3 with more graphics card supported, Altivec Rosetta and... native iTunes (finally!).

It's great!

Working Sigmatel 9220!

Yes, it's true.

Also - 10.4.3 have got full support for 945G line. SATA, sound and networking just works!

Now we are waiting for updated 10.4.3 with more graphics card supported, Altivec Rosetta and... native iTunes (finally!).

It's great!

Can you tell me what driver it's loading statkext please, I have the 9223 and mine doesn't work but it should be easy if the 9220 is :D, That is GREAT NEWS BTW. With 10.4.3 I only had to mod the network so far. I'll be releasing a new ppf for 945 this week, but I'll wait for the sigmatel stuff now....

Sorry back again... was out a while (hospital and stuff). If you have that ppf sometime it'd be great, TheSin. :D At least I lucked out on my MSI board since the ALC882 worked out of the box (mostly).

Working Sigmatel 9220!

Yes, it's true.

It's great!

Sigmatel STAC9220 still doesn't work fopr me... What kext are you using for audio? Did you edit it or replace it? My network no longer works with 10.4.3 either. What are your system specs?

Thanks...

Nevermind... It helps if you have speakers pluged in. I adjusted the volume and still didn't hear anything. I just realized that I had the speakers hooked up to my XP box...

Cyrana, welcome back! It's a day of great news! Wish you health :D

Sooo... I've got Intel D945GTPL mainboard and Pentium D 820.

As I just found (argh) networking DOESN'T work on 10.4.3. But now I'm editing my kexts, so it should work well in a few minutes.

@dscrap - you have to use newest 10.4.3, not user-land upgrade.