945G Chipset working

cyrana

347 posts in this topic

hi everyone

it sounds like you have made tremendous progress on 945g :-)

Has anyone confirmed if all 4 SATA drives work at once, as well as the PATA, so in other words, I could get 5 simultaneous drives working? Would I have to change some SATA related BIOS setting?

TheSin:

are you saying that you cannot boot with *any* installer (homemade, release1, etc) and install onto your SATA drive -- yet Cyrana can? what mobo do you have? cyrana has the MSI Neo-F right?

you also said your SATA's were slow? weren't you the one using the 10K raptors? that is really strange. how slow are they? man i would be dissappointed with that, people have realy been impressed with their Raptors...

now...the 945gExtensions_0.2.pkg you posted ... i havent looked through it in detail, but is that just a repackaging of what forcer hosted?

can you host up somewhere just the diffs that you patched into the DVD (release1)? how many files is that? i already downloaded the 0.2 pkg.... then it would be just a matter of using transmac to add a couple packages in or change a couple text files, right?

i've been considering a handful of different motherboards, but i've had my eye on the 945g's...

thanks much

I couldn't install with SATA support till recently, I have just made an install disc with the 945g drivers + the 10.4.1->10.4.2Exec Patch builtin.

I found that is was slower yes, though now I'm don't think this. I think it was something in the deadmoo image that was slowing it down.

The pkg I made was a repkg of Cyrana's kexts, which I think forcer reposted. The reason I repkged them into a pkg, is easier install, and I needed it for the my new Installer CD, so that I could get OSInstall.mpkg to install it.

if you downloaded the 945gExtensions.pkg then just run it reboot and pretty much everything should work. I have a D945Gtp and everything but sound works. For now I'm using my iMac USB sound.

I've been sorting through the posts re: MSI 945G. I pulled down the v2 945G kexts file which were posted. Did I "hear" someone say that they actually edited the kexts BEFORE running the install DVD?

I have created the Bender-Release1 iso and burned it then I placed the edited file structures for the 945 kexts under Packages and recreated the DVD image...but, the DVD won't boot ??? I can read it fine from WinXP, but it won't boot either from VMWare or native.

My motherboard is coming this morning and I wanted to get started on the OSx86 install...could someone please help?

THX!

I've been sorting through the posts re: MSI 945G. I pulled down the v2 945G kexts file which were posted. Did I "hear" someone say that they actually edited the kexts BEFORE running the install DVD?

I have created the Bender-Release1 iso and burned it then I placed the edited file structures for the 945 kexts under Packages and recreated the DVD image...but, the DVD won't boot ??? I can read it fine from WinXP, but it won't boot either from VMWare or native.

My motherboard is coming this morning and I wanted to get started on the OSx86 install...could someone please help?

THX!

I'm much more complex then just editing kexts on an Install disk. I have a pre built iso which is a modified version of hte Marklar iso with the Generic DVD patch. It also enables all the 945g stuff found so far. and installs the 10.4.1->10.4.2 patch from Maxxuss among a few other little extras. But I'm looking for someone to seed it, as I won't, I enjoy working on this stuff and figuring it out, but I won't host warez.

Thanks TheSin...

thats good that there is no SATA slowdown problem.

so you didnt say...which 945g mobo do you have? what was the problem that you had again that cyrana didn't on her 945g chipset? did you resolve it?

i won't be able to just run your 945g package though...i mean, if i remember this thread correctly, an MSI Neo F cannot install from the Release1 DVD. which is it, the installer cannot see any drives (PATA/SATA) or just SATA drives?

i understand you not wanting to host the whole ISO...so can you tell me what i need to modify with transmac?

is it just inserting your 0.2 945g package and the 10.4.2exec patch? both are neccessary on the install dvd?

did you run into any gotchas or was it pretty straight forward?

just to confirm, with these patches, all four SATA plus the one PATA port work, so 5 spinning drives are possible?

i haven't gotten a MSI 945G Neo F yet but am strongly considering it. thanks mate :-)

Thanks TheSin...

thats good that there is no SATA slowdown problem.

so you didnt say...which 945g mobo do you have? what was the problem that you had again that cyrana didn't on her 945g chipset? did you resolve it?

i won't be able to just run your 945g package though...i mean, if i remember this thread correctly, an MSI Neo F cannot install from the Release1 DVD. which is it, the installer cannot see any drives (PATA/SATA) or just SATA drives?

i understand you not wanting to host the whole ISO...so can you tell me what i need to modify with transmac?

is it just inserting your 0.2 945g package and the 10.4.2exec patch? both are neccessary on the install dvd?

did you run into any gotchas or was it pretty straight forward?

just to confirm, with these patches, all four SATA plus the one PATA port work, so 5 spinning drives are possible?

i haven't gotten a MSI 945G Neo F yet but am strongly considering it. thanks mate :-)

I have the Intel D945Gtp, and I'm missing sound I have a Stigmatel 922x, which has not drivers yet.

I have an install disk for it now. I'm looking for someone to seed it.

Modifying it is not easy at all, it took me 2 weeks and 25 DVDs (but now I understand it 100% better) And I refuse to make a windows patch for it, one day of that two weeks was installing windows and updating jsut so I could use it for 30 minutes to make the first generic patch disc. That sucked, and I don't want to put anyone else threw that.

I only have three drives in teh system and they all work

And no it's not as easy as just adding the pkg files. You need to mod the OSInstall.mpkg to get it to install the new pkgs and you need to make a new mkext so it sees the 945g HW at boot from the install disk.

I'm interested to see if this only partially works for some. These instructions don't technically make sense, since a lot of people can't even boot at all on an ICH7 system. But if you can't figure out how to somehow get the files onto the filesystem, I can't really help. Personally I have an external USB2/Firewire combo drive that I use for things such as this.

hey cyrana...

are you saying (for your 1st install) that you were able plug in a usb2/fw drive (in leiu of working SATA/PATA) to your MSI 945g and do a dvd install? or did you move your enclosure to another machine and do a dvd install/deadmoo dd copy to it then patch it there, then put it inside your 945g?

just trying to figure out a good 945g strategy....don't want to deal with dd copying the older deadmoo, rather have the dvd release1 install

theSin:

wow...nice going there...that sounded like quite an ordeal and i'd like to get your ISO when its up.... i agree an ISO is much better than requiting a user to install windows.

i'm just suggesting an interrum solution until you find hosting for the whole shebang...

for those of us who already have access to windows...

if you could just post the 3 or 4 files, they should be pretty small, and few lines that just tell the paths of what needs to be replaced on the release1 dvd... something like:

- Replace /Path/on/DVD/to/old/OSInstall.mpkg with new OSInstall

- Replace /Path/on/DVD/to/old/kexts with new kexts

don't even bother describing how to use transmac or reburning the ISO, thats been described before.

unless you don't want to attach even that for legality reasons, i would understand.

as for your sound, i got this $8 USB sound in/out Cmedia thing, i bet it would work. let me know i can dig it up and test it once i'm up and running if youre interested...

theSin:

wow...nice going there...that sounded like quite an ordeal and i'd like to get your ISO when its up.... i agree an ISO is much better than requiting a user to install windows.

i'm just suggesting an interrum solution until you find hosting for the whole shebang...

for those of us who already have access to windows...

if you could just post the 3 or 4 files, they should be pretty small, and few lines that just tell the paths of what needs to be replaced on the release1 dvd... something like:

- Replace /Path/on/DVD/to/old/OSInstall.mpkg with new OSInstall

- Replace /Path/on/DVD/to/old/kexts with new kexts

don't even bother describing how to use transmac or reburning the ISO, thats been described before.

unless you don't want to attach even that for legality reasons, i would understand.

as for your sound, i got this $8 USB sound in/out Cmedia thing, i bet it would work. let me know i can dig it up and test it once i'm up and running if youre interested...

I certainly could, I'm just not sure where they are too big for this board. And running linux would help more. Just need a copy of Marklar-tiger.iso, the Geneveric DVD patch Release1, once you run that and have the new iso. I used linux (kubuntu).

mount -o loop -t hfsplus <iso> <mnt>

then copy in the files make sure the perms are right

umount <mnt>

and burnt the iso.

the files that you'll need are

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

and add my versions of

945gExtensions.pkg

10.4.2ExecPatch.pkg

MenuCracker.pkg

AdditionalExtensions.pkg (this is not the same as the one from the Generic Patch)

to

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages

And I can upload all this someplace if someone will host it ;)

gotcha...

never knew about that -o loop option for mount. cool... like a built in daemon tools (win).

i use Ubuntu here...

ok to recap:

replace these 2 files on the DVD:

replace and/or add these 4 files on the DVD

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/945gExtensions.pkg

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/10.4.2ExecPatch.pkg

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/MenuCracker.pkg

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/AdditionalExtensions.pkg

so thats 6 new files we need.

how much space are all 6 zipped?

maybe someone knows a hosting place...

also TheSin...so you SATAs are fixed...it was deadmoo? because i remember your comment below:

Dual core works great, and spy sees both procs and my xbench mark is better then my Dual G5 1.8Ghz. I find my SATA drive bring it down though so i want to change for a 16MB cache drive.

did you rerun xbench,. whats your xbench before/after deadmoo?

i'm contemplating what would be faster:

1) an OC'd 3.0Ghz 630 @ 3.8Ghz (even 4.0Ghz is pretty achievable on air). ( Thermaltake SI-120 + Nexus 120mm D12SL-12 http://www.thermalright.com/). These are known to OC very well, better even than the 530 series.

<or>

2) an OC'd 2.8Ghz 820 dual core @ 3.2Ghz on air.

my brief research shows that both those figures are realistic air overclocks.

which would feel faster?

i tend to multitask a lot with 25 browser windows open, itunes, mail, AB, and maybe 5-10 other apps.

traditional thought is that the dual core is tuned for this type of multitasking.

but is it worth a $75 premium, and would it really feel faster than a machine running 500mhz to 800mhz faster than it, even though single cored?

can the MSI 945G be populated with a single 1GB DDR2 533 chip? or must it put it channels/banks of 2?

ok finally... ive seen that the HCL says VIA VT6307 Firewire works.

can anyone confirm the MSI 945G Neo F's Firewire does indeed work?

where can i get the optional fireware adapter cheaply (and the whole mobo... newegg is $128)....

gotcha...

never knew about that -o loop option for mount. cool... like a built in daemon tools (win).

i use Ubuntu here...

ok to recap:

replace these 2 files on the DVD:

replace and/or add these 4 files on the DVD

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/945gExtensions.pkg

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/10.4.2ExecPatch.pkg

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/MenuCracker.pkg

/System/Installation/Packages/Packages/AdditionalExtensions.pkg

so thats 6 new files we need.

how much space are all 6 zipped?

maybe someone knows a hosting place...

also TheSin...so you SATAs are fixed...it was deadmoo? because i remember your comment below:

did you rerun xbench,. whats your xbench before/after deadmoo?

i'm contemplating what would be faster:

1) an OC'd 3.0Ghz 630 @ 3.8Ghz (even 4.0Ghz is pretty achievable on air). ( Thermaltake SI-120 + Nexus 120mm D12SL-12 http://www.thermalright.com/). These are known to OC very well, better even than the 530 series.

<or>

2) an OC'd 2.8Ghz 820 dual core @ 3.2Ghz on air.

my brief research shows that both those figures are realistic air overclocks.

which would feel faster?

i tend to multitask a lot with 25 browser windows open, itunes, mail, AB, and maybe 5-10 other apps.

traditional thought is that the dual core is tuned for this type of multitasking.

but is it worth a $75 premium, and would it really feel faster than a machine running 500mhz to 800mhz faster than it, even though single cored?

can the MSI 945G be populated with a single 1GB DDR2 533 chip? or must it put it channels/banks of 2?

ok finally... ive seen that the HCL says VIA VT6307 Firewire works.

can anyone confirm the MSI 945G Neo F's Firewire does indeed work?

where can i get the optional fireware adapter cheaply (and the whole mobo... newegg is $128)....

Well i used my install disk this time and I get 49 in XBench mark now and I was getting 46 with the deadmoo install. I'd like to get over 50 so I have an other gig of RAM coming ;) But the like 270fps in OpenGL sure helps :)

Well i used my install disk this time and I get 49 in XBench mark now and I was getting 46 with the deadmoo install. I'd like to get over 50 so I have an other gig of RAM coming :) But the like 270fps in OpenGL sure helps :D

:D While I was waiting around this evening, I went ahead and installed the Marklar-Bender-Release1.iso on my MSI 945G / 650 Prescott running stock 3.4ghz with 1GB DDR2. That went well, but SLOW....

THEN, I took Cyrana's "Instructions" and followed them to the T! Rebooted and now I'm gettin a 55.29 on XBench. I think after I do some tweakin, this thing might be flyin'!

TheSin: the ftp isn't movin very fast. ? . ;)

Thanks to all for your help!

hmmm...270 opengl that sounds good, i dont know how that works... what is that attributed to?

50 xbench is not so good tho...

84 - Powermac G5 Dual 2.0ghz 1.5GB

84 - Devel Trans Kit P4 660 3.6gHz 4GB DualChannel PC400 CL 2-2-2-4

70 - 4.0Ghz MSI 915G Combo-FR 3.0GHZ OCd stock cooling

so we know 70 is doable with the MSI 915g. and that particular MSI mobo is known to be a fairly slow mobo (toms hw or anandtech) but its saving grace is it seems to overclock well. so...giving it a 70 xbench.

so why are actual dev machines getting 84?

i would think if i used a MSI 945g instead of a 915g, and overclocked it to 4.0ghz, with its 1066mhz bus i should get > 70. theoretically it should be > than the dev boards at 84...

but i have a feeling that all MSI boards are slightly slower than ASUS or genuine intel reference boards.

i don't know whether than dev board that scored 84 was a dual core or not, that would be interesting...

hmmm...270 opengl that sounds good, i dont know how that works... what is that attributed to?

50 xbench is not so good tho...

84 - Powermac G5 Dual 2.0ghz 1.5GB

84 - Devel Trans Kit P4 660 3.6gHz 4GB DualChannel PC400 CL 2-2-2-4

70 - 4.0Ghz MSI 915G Combo-FR 3.0GHZ OCd stock cooling

so we know 70 is doable with the MSI 915g. and that particular MSI mobo is known to be a fairly slow mobo (toms hw or anandtech) but its saving grace is it seems to overclock well. so...giving it a 70 xbench.

so why are actual dev machines getting 84?

i would think if i used a MSI 945g instead of a 915g, and overclocked it to 4.0ghz, with its 1066mhz bus i should get > 70. theoretically it should be > than the dev boards at 84...

but i have a feeling that all MSI boards are slightly slower than ASUS or genuine intel reference boards.

i don't know whether than dev board that scored 84 was a dual core or not, that would be interesting...

I agree, but in Xbench you can disable tests, maybe they did that? Cause mine is a dual core. 820

I agree, but in Xbench you can disable tests, maybe they did that? Cause mine is a dual core. 820

yah...cheaters ;-)

welp...gotta make a decision soon. i might just go for the msi 945g neo-f. its a hard call cause its $125 vs $49 for the msi 915g on ebay.... not sure if the performance will really be there...certainly not 3x there... but i hope cyrana gets back and can tell me whether firewire works on that board... that would even the $ a little...

my gut feel is nothing makes up for mhz... just like memory latencies...you can push timings all you want but a 4-4-4-4 3.5ghz box is gonna beat a 2-2-2-2 3.0ghz box..

so i'm thinking the same thing goes with the dual core... a 4ghz MSI 915g scores a 70, a 2.8ghz dual core scores a 50....

probably get the 945g with a 630 3.0ghz OC to 3.8-4.2ghz......but not get the dual core just yet.....just to future proof so i can slap a dual core in there later when they are cheaper....

OK. What *is* the MSI 945g Neo-F ?

Just realized its not even a product on the MSI pages...

What is the "F"?

Only lists the

- MSI 945g Neo

- MSI 945g Platinum

Only the "Platinum" version has the firewire...but its got the ICH7R, so thats bad i think for os x.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...=67&NAME=Socket

yah...cheaters ;-)

welp...gotta make a decision soon. i might just go for the msi 945g neo-f. its a hard call cause its $125 vs $49 for the msi 915g on ebay.... not sure if the performance will really be there...certainly not 3x there... but i hope cyrana gets back and can tell me whether firewire works on that board... that would even the $ a little...

my gut feel is nothing makes up for mhz... just like memory latencies...you can push timings all you want but a 4-4-4-4 3.5ghz box is gonna beat a 2-2-2-2 3.0ghz box..

so i'm thinking the same thing goes with the dual core... a 4ghz MSI 915g scores a 70, a 2.8ghz dual core scores a 50....

probably get the 945g with a 630 3.0ghz OC to 3.8-4.2ghz......but not get the dual core just yet.....just to future proof so i can slap a dual core in there later when they are cheaper....

The Firewire works on my Intel D945Gtp. Just so you know. But I agree, plus my proc is the low end one with only 1 meg cache on it. I should have gotten a better one.

The Firewire works on my Intel D945Gtp. Just so you know. But I agree, plus my proc is the low end one with only 1 meg cache on it. I should have gotten a better one.

yeah...i called MSI today. only the 945p has the firwire option.

althought the 945g combo isn't called combo-F on their website, it is one and the same.

hey can you zip up those 6 files and add them as an attachment here or to a PM to me?

i think i'm gonna order the 945g combo assuming i can get those files from you.

i'm not looking to recreate all the work you had to do! so thanks!

got the MSI Neo-F a month ago with a Pentium D 2.8 ghz and along with the 7 kexts packaged by Cyrana and the general how-to, it worked like a charm. Thank you Cyrana and anyone else involved!!

You should find the kexts on these forums or the ones at win2osx.net.

got the MSI Neo-F a month ago with a Pentium D 2.8 ghz and along with the 7 kexts packaged by Cyrana and the general how-to, it worked like a charm. Thank you Cyrana and anyone else involved!!

You should find the kexts on these forums or the ones at win2osx.net.

ya but he wants an install DVD, like I did, hence why I repkged everything.

And I dont' post them here only the 945gExtensions.zip would make it as it's only 1.5 MB, But I'm working on a patch system, maybe I'll include a windows version and a linux version of it.

Hello all,

I got my MSI 945G Neo with Prescott 650 3.4 proc and Mushkin DDR2 PC4200 1Gig kit yesterday. First, it OCs pretty well. I'm running at 960Mhz FSB with a CPU clock of 4.040 Ghz. Pretty snappy!

I was being hardheaded earlier in the week and kept pestering TheSin for a prebuilt iso which would support the 945G mobos. Then I just thought I would try something. I made sure I had a clean (md5-wize) iso of the Marklar image. I then used Bender's Release 1 ppf on it and br0adband's write-up to create the "Release1" iso.

I NEEDED :) to load OSX on this new monster, so I put in my new "Marklar-Tiger-Release1.iso" and started the install..again, following br0adband and bender's guide. It took a long time, but it finally came up! But, I had no QE CI or who-knows-what-else...

THEN -- I did just like TheSin (quoting Cyrana) says in this post:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...indpost&p=16774

Be sure and follow every step exactly..especially the last few!

THIS IS GREAT!!! I'm getting in excess of 50 on XBench! That fft test is really dragging me down :) DVD-RW, Firewire (PCI Board) and everything else seems to be working great. Thanks to all involved! :D

Now, if I could just get my Thunderbird profile moved over.... suggestions?

Have a great day!

WilboZ.

WilboZ

its interesting you were able to boot off the release1 dvd... i didnt think that was possible with the 945g chipset...

can you post your full xbench scores here? something is not right.

trexplorer has a similar (older) MSI 915g board also with a 4.0ghz overclock and is getting 70 xbench vs your 50.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ic=1747&hl=915g

real dev machines are doing 80-90....so something is not right....

WilboZ

its interesting you were able to boot off the release1 dvd... i didnt think that was possible with the 945g chipset...

can you post your full xbench scores here? something is not right.

trexplorer has a similar (older) MSI 915g board also with a 4.0ghz overclock and is getting 70 xbench vs your 50.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ic=1747&hl=915g

real dev machines are doing 80-90....so something is not right....

it is possible just not with SATA

oh...i didnt realize...thats great...

so i'll be able to DVD install to IDE, patch the IDE with the SATA patches, and copy the whole IDE over to an SATA, boot from the SATA, and get rid of the IDE?

whats the best way to copy from IDE to SATA?

would ditto or CCCloner work under x86?

i'd still prefer to get the 6 patch files from you if you can swing it...