945G Chipset working

cyrana

347 posts in this topic

Hi:

I am trying to set up a 945G based computer (Dell 5150c) and everything works but the network (the sound I am really not quite worried about).

I tried, and modify the AppleIntel8225x.kext with no luck. The problem maight be that my NIC is actually an Intel (dell-modified) 82801G (ICH7 family) based controler.

Any ideas where to look?

As you may guess, I already have googled a lot searching with no luck.

By the way, I am setting up 10.4.3

Thanks a lot

Hi:

I am trying to set up a 945G based computer (Dell 5150c) and everything works but the network (the sound I am really not quite worried about).

I tried, and modify the AppleIntel8225x.kext with no luck. The problem maight be that my NIC is actually an Intel (dell-modified) 82801G (ICH7 family) based controler.

Any ideas where to look?

As you may guess, I already have googled a lot searching with no luck.

By the way, I am setting up 10.4.3

Thanks a lot

See my posts in this thread, #232 and 233... I have the 5150 and had to fix the kext file to get the networking working.... Let me know if you need more specific instructions. I am on my way out, but will check back later, might not be sober, lol...

Thanks dscrap!

I went through the posts several times and actually I edited successfully the kext. But what I did not pay attention was to "ERASE THE OLD CACHED KEXTs". That was the key point.

Now everything works fine and the system is great. I got an xbech higher than dual G5 reports. I have run with no problems all PPC apps including some of the ones which interacts with harware as Toast 6 (toast 7 just says it does not run under intel), palm hotsync+malsync., thunderbird imported my evolution email with a small effort, ...

Nonetheless my feeling is that it is not as stable as my current powerbook G4. So I still will not make the switch. I will keep using it, but things like sometimes refuse to shutdown or applications that you can not get rid of them unless you reboot; it will hang on reboots.. I have to shutdown and restart; toast recorded my dvd-r but was unable to eject it and .... i had to reboot. The dvd was fine, no problems, but...

Obviously this is not a "released" software. The feeling is great. Things go very fast as seen in the transition from 10.4.1 to 10.4.3. So the "official" release, hopefully in January, will show a great OS.

...and I will be on of the very first to buy an ibook. I am sure that by then, all this minor questions will be solved. And the look of the ibooks are so beautyfull that I would not mind to pay the extra 100 euros and be able to run osx and linux (my previous OS for daily use).

Thanks dscrap!

I went through the posts several times and actually I edited successfully the kext. But what I did not pay attention was to "ERASE THE OLD CACHED KEXTs". That was the key point.

Now everything works fine and the system is great. I got an xbech higher than dual G5 reports. I have run with no problems all PPC apps including some of the ones which interacts with harware as Toast 6 (toast 7 just says it does not run under intel), palm hotsync+malsync., thunderbird imported my evolution email with a small effort, ...

Nonetheless my feeling is that it is not as stable as my current powerbook G4. So I still will not make the switch. I will keep using it, but things like sometimes refuse to shutdown or applications that you can not get rid of them unless you reboot; it will hang on reboots.. I have to shutdown and restart; toast recorded my dvd-r but was unable to eject it and .... i had to reboot. The dvd was fine, no problems, but...

Obviously this is not a "released" software. The feeling is great. Things go very fast as seen in the transition from 10.4.1 to 10.4.3. So the "official" release, hopefully in January, will show a great OS.

...and I will be on of the very first to buy an ibook. I am sure that by then, all this minor questions will be solved. And the look of the ibooks are so beautyfull that I would not mind to pay the extra 100 euros and be able to run osx and linux (my previous OS for daily use).

Hi MVP30,

Glad you got it working. What did you get for an xbench? I tried Toast 7 as well, but it wont run on intel hardware, but 6 does. I do have a few problems with 6 though. It seems to hang or freeze up. I will have to look for an alternative. The burning software included with OSX leaves a lot to be desired. It was disappointing to see that there is no capability for multi session CD/DVD's and multi session CD's only read the first session.

I would really like to get support for my logitech keyboard, mouse, and cam. None of the drivers are written for mactels. Also I am patiently waiting for the ATi drivers...

As said, I did use toast 6 and burn a DVD. Everything was fine until it said "Ejecting.." o something similar (do not remember) when it freeze. I had to restart, but the recorded DVD was fine.

All my haradware is supported, so I had nothing to wait for. And the "strength" of my station is more than what I need for what I do. The xbench gave me a mark of 92. As reported in the borther-forum http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=1395 a dual 2 GHz G5 gives 72. I do not play games or use photshop: just web (php) programing... so, more than enough.

The only thing I miss is more stability. My current powerbook is "extremly" stable. Months without rebooting. And I am pretty sure the Intel macs will be the same. The coming weekend I will test release "1111" (currently I have 1099) and will let you know if we improve stability.

Thanks for the info skippyretard. I just did it and will let you know if I gain something. This very first time did reboot. :D

What I have bee unable is to produces an instalable 8f1111 using the oah files form 1099. I tried to produce an ISO with those files, but I got a non usable DVD.

I wonder if all of you got stable systems, or these stability issues are quite common. I still keep using my old powerbook.

Has anyone been able to get the 945G SATA (ICH7) working with 10.4.3 Build 8f1111? I can boot off of the IDE HD, have Realtek sound working, and I am using an older 10/100 Intel NIC, but when I try to boot this same image off of the SATA drive it just sits there. I had this all working under 10.4.1. I think it is something to do with the 945G ATA kext, but not sure where to look???

Has anyone been able to get the 945G SATA (ICH7) working with 10.4.3 Build 8f1111? I can boot off of the IDE HD, have Realtek sound working, and I am using an older 10/100 Intel NIC, but when I try to boot this same image off of the SATA drive it just sits there. I had this all working under 10.4.1. I think it is something to do with the 945G ATA kext, but not sure where to look???

I would wait for the DVD/ISO patch to come out before installing 8f1111. You could try editing the kext for your hardware before burning the image and installing. Not sure how to do that exactly. I don't think just adding or deleting the ketext in the image works. I could be wrong...

I have the earlier patched 8f1099 DVD and it installed and recognized all of my hardware right away. I had to edit the kext for the nic card thats all. A new patch will be out shortly or you can install 8f1099 and wait.

What are your system specs? And what xbench are you getting?

I have patched the Install DVD DTK image and was able to install it no problem to an IDE Drive and after booting it sees my SATA drive just fine. I just can't get it to boot up the SATA drive. Kind of strange if you ask me. Like I said. Booting off of the IDE drive works fine. Sound, NIC, Quartz Extreme. It all works. All PPC apps seem to run fine also. iTunes, iDVD (I can actually watch a DVD movie in iDVD now!!!), MS Office, Photoshop......They all work now. I just can't boot the darn thing off the SATA Drive.

Well after 2 days of pulling my hair out, I finally got it… Thank you Erick for pointing me in the right direction. I did quite a bit of reading to figure this out, this is what I did.

First off, I added the 945gExtensions.pkg patch which added the SATA and video among other things. I kept thinking about your post on how you edited the kext file and added the vendor and device ID’s. I was sure that after adding the 945gExtensions.pkg that the SATA was working since I could see the SATA hard drive in OSX that was on my IDE drive. I just couldn’t boot or install to it.

Well I was half right, the info.plist had only one of the vendor and device ID’s in it. The one for IDE in bold below…

27c0 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE

27c1 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=AHCI

27c3 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=RAID

I had to do a lot of reading in order to figure that out. I didn’t know how to edit the kext files. This is how I did it…

1. Open the /system/library/extensions/ folder and copied the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to the desktop by right clicking it (dragging it may also work) and copying it then pasting it to the desktop.

2. Then rename the original kext AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.old in the /system/library/extensions/ folder.

3. Right click on the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext file on the desktop and select “show package contents”.

4. In the new window that opens, you will see the package contents and the Info.plist file. Right click on the Info.plist file and select “Open > with” and the select texedit.

5. Now scroll down to the section that says “ICH6 Serial ATA Controller” and go to the line

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> and just below it edit the string as follows:

<string>0x27c08086 0x27c18086 0x27c38086</string>

this adds the IDE, AHCI, and RAID for the ICH7 Serial controller. Remove anything else that is between the <string> and </string>

6. Now save the file and close the text editor. Also close the open package so you are bak to the desktop.

7. Open the extensions folder again and now drag the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext file you just edited into it. If you are prompted to authenticate, do so and enter your password.

8. Almost done… Now go to the Applications/Utilities folder and open Terminal.

9. In terminal, type the following:

“sudo chmod –R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext” minus the quotes and hit enter. You may need your password…

10. Again in terminal type the following:

“sudo chown –R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext” minus the quotes.

11. Close terminal.

12. Open the /System/Library/ folder and delete extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache.

13. Reboot and you are golden!!! Use -f -v when you get to the Darwin prompt. I tried with out it, but it hangs at waiting for root device.

I hope this helps everyone out. It took me days to figure it out and put together from all of the different posts. You can edit other kext files in the same manner by changing the file name.

Good luck, I am off to play with OSX!

Bigdday,

Above is from one of my earlier posts involving 10.4.1 and the Deadmoo image. If you can edit the kext and add the correct vendor and device id's as above before you install, it should recognize the SATA. I just don't know if just replacing the edited kext in the image before burning is the right way to do it. I am not sure if the checksum needs to be the same or not... Anyone else have input on editing the kext before burning the DVD image?

My posts may be a little confusing. I already have 10.4.3 8f1111 installed and working. I used dd witha bootable linux distro to copy the IDE drive(8f1111 installed) to my SATA drive. So I already have the full installed OS on my SATA drive. The problem is when I try to boot the OS, it just sits there like Darwin can't find the root device. I am able to boot off of the IDE drive and edit any kexts on the SATA drive as needed. I just wasn't sure what to edit or put in.

Strange, but working now. For the heck of it I did another drive copy using dd this morning. I just booted 10.4.3 8F1111 off of my SATA drive with a 945G chipset. Everything seems to be working perfect for me now with no ATA kext editing. Maybe something was corrupted on my first "dd" attempt. So to get it working on my 945G mobo all I had to do was add in my Realtek sound ID to proper Kext files, and throw in an Intel 10/100 NIC for Networking.

I am going to attempt to get my Internal Nic working, but don't know if it can be done as of yet.

Strange, but working now. For the heck of it I did another drive copy using dd this morning. I just booted 10.4.3 8F1111 off of my SATA drive with a 945G chipset. Everything seems to be working perfect for me now with no ATA kext editing. Maybe something was corrupted on my first "dd" attempt. So to get it working on my 945G mobo all I had to do was add in my Realtek sound ID to proper Kext files, and throw in an Intel 10/100 NIC for Networking.

I am going to attempt to get my Internal Nic working, but don't know if it can be done as of yet.

What nic do you have? If you read in the thread, I posted on how I got my nic working (post #232 and #233). There is also a link to the linux database for devices so you can look up the correct vendor and device id. What are your system specs? Mobo? Home grown or pre-built system? Nic? Audio? Video?

See my signature at the bottom... Its a lot easier to talk or instruct if we know what you have...

Edited by dscrap

My NIC is Broadcom 57xx. Not sure which number exactly. From all I have read and tried it just doesn't have any support yet. When I boot with "-v" option Darwin sees the NIC, but once OS X loads up it isn't there. I just threw in an old Intel / Compaq 10/100 card for now. Once I get the money (few months from now) I will be looking to buy a PowerBook anyway. If the Intel based ones are out then I will get one of those, but if not I will just get the regular PowerBook. I was a Windows and Slackware Junky until I tried out OS X.

You could actually go to HP website and see the exact PC I am using. It is an HP Desktop (dc 7600) model.

My specs I am running now are as follows :

HP dc 7600 Desktop

Intel 945G motherboard

P4 CPU (SSE3, No NX support though)

80gig SATA ICH7 drive

80gig IDE drive

DL DVD+RW / CD-RW drive

Realtek Integrated Sound

Compaq / Intel PCI NIC (MOBO has Broadcom Int. 57xxx, but not supported.)

My NIC is Broadcom 57xx. Not sure which number exactly. From all I have read and tried it just doesn't have any support yet. When I boot with "-v" option Darwin sees the NIC, but once OS X loads up it isn't there. I just threw in an old Intel / Compaq 10/100 card for now. Once I get the money (few months from now) I will be looking to buy a PowerBook anyway. If the Intel based ones are out then I will get one of those, but if not I will just get the regular PowerBook. I was a Windows and Slackware Junky until I tried out OS X.

You could actually go to HP website and see the exact PC I am using. It is an HP Desktop (dc 7600) model.

My specs I am running now are as follows :

HP dc 7600 Desktop

Intel 945G motherboard

P4 CPU (SSE3, No NX support though)

80gig SATA ICH7 drive

80gig IDE drive

DL DVD+RW / CD-RW drive

Realtek Integrated Sound

Compaq / Intel PCI NIC (MOBO has Broadcom Int. 57xxx, but not supported.)

Your nic definitely won't work (the onboard), I have the dc7100 at work and it has the same NIC. I use an Intel Pro100 pci.

I've not tried 8f1111 yet on my 945g system, but the other ones ran fine from ich7 sata for me.

I have a 945g chipset. My drive is SATA.

I was unable to install 1099 directly on it. I had to edit the bios and set it as "ATA". Then everything as fine. I haven´t try to boot form SATA since then.

Today I did the upgrade to 1111 and the updrage gave me (at least) a corrupted itunes (error -50). Have not checked for long, but the several times I had rebooted, it did reboot. No more power offs (so far).

Right now I am installing from scratch in an external usb drive to see if the resulting itunes is due to the "upgrade" process. Will let you know.

Thanks to dscrap I was able to compair the loaded kexts.

It seems the Sigmatel 9221 loads AppleHDAController and AppleHDA, I found reference to the Sigmatel 9221 in the AppleHDAController binary.

On my system with the 9223 my only loads the AppleHDAController kext and NOT the AppleHDA, which seems odd since AppleHDAController is a plugin for AppleHDA. I can force load AppleHDA but still nothing in the Sound panel. I'm gonna try adding the Azalia Driver from Cyrana just for fun, it would at least add the HD Audio to my sound panel, maybe together I can get sound now :D

Any luck with the sound? I've been working with the Info.plist's but I'm still stuck, sound outputs don't even appear in audio configuration, it did on 10.4.1

My mother board is a MSI 945P Neo Platinum.

In 8f1111 AppleHDA.kext causes a panic at boot as seen on attached image.

Trying to load the kext manually:

kextload -t AppleHDA.kext
kernel extension AppleHDA.kext has problems:
Validation failures
{
"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true
}
Missing dependencies
{
"com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily" =
	"No valid version of this dependency can be found"
}

The kext from build 8f1099 works well in 8f1111.

As in 8f1099 Safari, Mail and iChat can´t make SSL connections. ssh client works.

8f1099 crashes (turn off/reboot screen) when connecting to a samba share, at least this got fixed in 8f1111.

Any ideas about SSL problems?

Thanks.

Untitled_1.jpg

I don't even have the 945g for 10.4.1 kexts now. As TheSin said, they aren't really needed. Try 10.4.3.

well depends on network and audio. the RTL and my intel nic still needs mods and so will PS/2 KBs and such.

I have an 8f1111 ppf done but it won't work with sse2 yet, but works great with 945g. I was gonna wait till I fix the sse2 stuff before i release it unless ppl want it now? It's 80MBs.

Battlefront news, by Promethe.

So. In new relase - 8F1111 (both standard and Altivec Special Edition) GMA driver finally works fine - with enabled Quartz Extreme you can watch H.264 video without problems (purple&green tint or multicolor artifacts).

You still have to edit network kext to get network support works.

Xbench scores are lower. It's probably becouse graphics (much lower scores in graphics, about 1/3 to 1/2 previous).

More to come soon. Benchmarks also to come.

Ya I have the 8f1111 DVD ppf, and I'm making one for 8f1111a right now, to patch the 8f1111 DVD to make an 8f1111a installer.