945G Chipset working

cyrana

347 posts in this topic

Ok, I have to put together all the kexts I edited. But for those who know how to do a grep -R, edit kexts, and look up vendor and device IDs, I'm sure it is easy anyway.

1. I have the GMA950 working 100% with QE and CI. My 2005fpw was autodetected and runs at 1680x1050 now.

2. ICH7 PATA and SATA both working fine.

3. USB2 working fine

4. It detects the onboard gigabit Intel, but I haven't actually tested it. I was waiting on my PCI Wireless NIC, but I can test the onboard intel tomorrow anyway.

5. HD Audio working good, aside from the input. It doesn't seem to see the MIC. But I've not tried the MIDI control panel yet. (AppleAzalia editing).

I'll put together a guide. But at least I can confirm that if you have at leas my motherboad you can get fully accelerated graphics and most things seem to be working great.

Here is the link to the full kext package, which I will keep current:

http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=053M62I...971RXLMW4OYG3LC

Edited by cyrana

Yeah, Pentium-D 830. But, it shows 2 CPUs in some places and not in others. Any -real- way for me to find out?

I can't install CHUD tools on this box for a bit, need my next HD which I won't have until Tuesday. (I have the unexpandable but fairly full deadmoo image+mods)

Ok, I have to put together all the kexts I edited.  But for those who know how to do a grep -R, edit kexts, and look up vendor and device IDs, I'm sure it is easy anyway.

1.  I have the GMA950 working 100% with QE and CI.  My 2005fpw was autodetected and runs at 1680x1050 now.

2.  ICH7 PATA and SATA both working fine.

3.  USB2 working fine

4. It detects the onboard gigabit Intel, but I haven't actually tested it.  I was waiting on my PCI Wireless NIC, but I can test the onboard intel tomorrow anyway.

5.  HD Audio working good, aside from the input.  It doesn't seem to see the MIC.  But I've not tried the MIDI control panel yet.  (AppleAzalia editing).

I'll put together a guide.  But at least I can confirm that if you have at leas my motherboad you can get fully accelerated graphics and most things seem to be working great.

Ok cool looking forward to the guide :)

Great work cyrana! This will be a possibility for a new unit.

Pentium-D 830. But, it shows 2 CPUs in some places and not in others. Any -real- way for me to find out?

Check out TinkerTool and iTattle. They both work for me so you might have some luck with duallies.

Thanks, domino. I'll try them later today.

As a further update, the onboard intel gigabit networking is confirmed to work. 82573V is the chip for it. Sometimes you might have to edit a kext for the gigabit, though (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCLPart#Ethernet).

So, I just don't have sound input working, thats it.

Well, need to wait till Monday for a guide unfortunately.

But, if one goes into /System/Library/Extensions and does a grep -R for the 915 device IDs they can figure out what files need to be edited. It is like 2 915 kexts, the Azalia one, and the PIIX one (it is in some hard disk speedup thread here).

Still, I can give better instructions in a couple of days. :huh:

Here is a kext bundle for Graphics and Sound on 945G. It doesn't include the ATA bits yet, those will be up tomorrow. Although I am just using modified kexts from this thread for ICH7 support.

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2YIIXHQ...YV2GOXEI0T9138E

Put it in /System/Library/Extensions. Do a chmod -R 755 for each of the files, and also a chown -R root:wheel for each.

You might have to remove the 815 kexts.

Delete your extension cache files and/or choose the -f flag at next boot.

Edited by cyrana

Just remember that this won't give you ATA support, although I've provided basic instructions on how to get ATA working on 945.  My currentl package just has fixes for GMA950 and HD Audio.

ok, can you please tell me when will the ich7 package be done ? I have tried to boot darwin 8.0.1 but without success, You think that editing Info.plist for AppleIntelPIIXATA will provide functionality of my ICH7 ATA/SATA ?

ok, can you please tell me when will the ich7 package be done ? I have tried to boot darwin 8.0.1 but without success, You think that editing Info.plist for AppleIntelPIIXATA will provide functionality of my ICH7 ATA/SATA ?

That is all I did, anyway. I just edited that kext bundle's Info.plist.

Ok so..

GMA 950 works fine with acceleration.

This is what I changed in

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

to get my sata/ata drive(s) working..

<key>ICH6 ATA/100 Controller</key>
               <dict>
                       <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                       <string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA</string>
                       <key>Controller Name</key>
                       <string>ICH6 ATA/100</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <string>AppleIntelPIIXATARoot</string>
                       <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
                       <string>0x27df8086</string>
                       <key>IOProbeScore</key>
                       <integer>2000</integer>
                       <key>IOProviderClass</key>
                       <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
                       <key>Supported Transfer Modes</key>
                       <string>0x3f061d</string>
               </dict>
               <key>ICH6 Serial ATA Controller</key>
               <dict>
                       <string>ICH6 SATA</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
                       <string>0x01010000&0xffff0000</string>
                       <string>0x27c08086 0x27c18086 0x27c38086 </string>
                       <key>IOProbeScore</key>
                       <integer>2000</integer>
                       <key>Serial ATA</key>
                       <true/>
               </dict>
               <key>ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller</key>
               <dict>
                       <string>ICH6-M SATA</string>
                       <key>IOClass</key>
                       <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
                       <string>0x01010000&0xffff0000</string>
                       <string>0x27c48086 0x27c58086 0x27c68086</string>
                       <key>IOProbeScore</key>
                       <integer>2000</integer>
                       <key>Serial ATA</key>
                       <true/>
               </dict>

and it works! - ata and sata drives/cd/dvd-roms are working fine!

but it still seems that my audio won't make a sound :)

I can set volume and I see HD Audio in sound settings.

Did you edit two plists inside the Azalia file? One is inside the Plugins directory somewhere, but it is for the Controller and not the main Audio device.

Glad you figured out ATA, it is pretty easy. ;D

Here is the finished kext package. It has fixes for PIIX (ATA and SATA), Azalia HD Audio, and GMA950.

http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=053M62I...971RXLMW4OYG3LC

On my system (in my sig), everything works except for sound input. I didn't have to edit anything for my GigE to work.

I'm interested to see if this only partially works for some. These instructions don't technically make sense, since a lot of people can't even boot at all on an ICH7 system. But if you can't figure out how to somehow get the files onto the filesystem, I can't really help. Personally I have an external USB2/Firewire combo drive that I use for things such as this.

Instructions

1. Unzip the archive somewhere, just remember where you do it.
2. Find the old kexts (you probably won't have them all, some are from darwin) in /System/Library/Extensions and move them to a different name (like 'sudo mv oldkext.kext oldkext.kext.old).
3. Copy the files from step one to /System/Library/Extensions (something like 'sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/ZIPFOLDER/* /System/Library/Extensions').
4. Do a 'sudo chown -R root:wheel FILENAME' and 'sudo chmod -R 755 FILENAME' for each file in the archive after they have been copied.
5. Delete the files Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext in your /System/Library/ directory.
6. Reboot
7. Use the -f and -v flags at boot just in case someone didn't delete their cache files and to get an idea of where things crash if they do.

Edited by cyrana

What is the difference from 945P Express and 945G?

Do you know of any kext patches for the 945P? Thats what I have and I'm having problems.

Well, just take those packages and replace the device IDs with yours. Most of them should be about the same, but obviously the modified Intel915 ones in this won't help you since you don't have integrated graphics on a 945p system.

I would think the PIIX files (for ICH7) would be the same, though. At least this page seems to hint at that: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=8086:sub=1

And, again, I've only had verification on MY board (in sig). For those who get it working, please tell us your Motherboard.