945G Chipset working

cyrana

347 posts in this topic

SATA, soundcard, graphics. You have to mod IONetworking[blah].kext.

However - it doesn't matter what you will set in command line before running installer - it will run anyway in 800x600. And the first boot will be also made in this resolution (or this is a problem with my iiyama, IMHO I doubt).

Ahh, good to know. I may just be running this on my real 915G systrem anyway. My test 945G box got um...upgraded to a 7800GT, and of course those kexts don't help much (ok, off topic).

I'll give it a go soon, then. I have a supported wireless chipset (some ralink one) at least (under 10.4.1+driver from vendor).

I've just made Xbench test...

Results are stunning.

On 10.4.1 and 10.4.1->3 I've got circa 70 point (max).

On 10.4.3 I've got... 120 points...

I think then it's nice result. It makes my machine (and it's got D820 processor, not D860) almost as fast as Quad PowerMac G5 @ 2.50 or faster than PowerMac with Dual G5 @ 2.70 GHz :(

Sorry back again... was out a while (hospital and stuff). If you have that ppf sometime it'd be great, TheSin. :D At least I lucked out on my MSI board since the ALC882 worked out of the box (mostly).

Well welcome back Cyrana, we missed ya. Hope all is well.

As for the ppf, I just want to wait for the Sigmatel stuff, I'm still waitting to hear about which kext it's using so I can modify it and release this ppf.

Promethe? Even just a list from statkext would work for me :D

0x27d88086 is Realtek HD Audio.

Sigmatel audio is 0x76808384

Part from Device Manager:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7680&SUBSYS_80860606&REV_1032\4&2595F9D2&0&0201

just fonud this post and I checked all the 10.4.3 kexts and couldn't find your Sigmatel in there :\

However - it doesn't matter what you will set in command line before running installer - it will run anyway in 800x600. And the first boot will be also made in this resolution (or this is a problem with my iiyama, IMHO I doubt).

Hi Promethe and Cyrana (hope you are feeling better),

I need some help with the kext edit to get my ethernet working. I did a native install of the 10.4.3 DVD. Audio, SATA, and GMA950 worked right away. I am having a problem with my internal networking port however.

This is what I did so far. I copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext to my desktop and opened it. I didn't see in the info.plist a spot to change or add the vendor and device id's.

So i opened the plugins folder and then opened the AppleIntel8255x.kext and then edited the info.plist there as follows, I added the vendor and device id in red. Is the amp; in blue supposed to be there? After the edit, I saved it and closed everything.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleIntel8255x</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.4, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2001-2004</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>Intel 8255x Ethernet Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.4</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.4</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>8255x</key>

<dict>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x</string>

<key>Flow Control</key>

<false/>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>Intel82557</string>

<key>IODefaultMedium</key>

<string>00000020</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x02000000&0xffff0000</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&amp;0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x27dc8086 0x10608086&amp;0xfff0ffff</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Transmit Threshold</key>

<integer>512</integer>

<key>Verbose</key>

<false/>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>

<string>1.4</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.6</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Network-Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I added the vendor and device id in red. Is the amp; in blue supposed to be there? After the edit, I saved it and closed everything.

I then copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext back to the extensions folder, authenticating and giving my password. After that, I opened terminal and ran the following commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

and

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

After that, i closed the terminal and deleted the 2 kext cache files in the library folder and rebooted... After reboot, the network card is still not recognized. What am I doing wrong? Can you please tell me what you did to get it working and where you added the vendor and device id's? Did you delete the rest of the string?

Thank you so much... I have been at this for a day now and am starting to pull my hair out!

The info.plist of the IONetworkingFamily.kext is as follows. I did not change anything in it... Should I have? Do I need to run the commands in terminal for the AppleIntel8255x.kext instead? or both?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>IONetworkingFamily</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>Version 1.5.0, Copyright 2000-2005 Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<string>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>I/O Kit Networking Family</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.5.0</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.5.0</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>IONetworkStack</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IONetworkStack</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IONetworkStack</string>

<string>IOResources</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOBSD</string>

</dict>

<key>Kernel Debugging Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>IOKDP</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOKDP</string>

<string>IOKernelDebugger</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>

<string>8.0.0b2</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Network-Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

THANKS!!!!

What am I doing wrong? Can you please tell me what you did to get it working and where you added the vendor and device id's? Did you delete the rest of the string?

Thank you so much... I have been at this for a day now and am starting to pull my hair out!

The info.plist of the IONetworkingFamily.kext is as follows. I did not change anything in it... Should I have? Do I need to run the commands in terminal for the AppleIntel8255x.kext instead? or both?

I am such an ass...

I figured out what I was doing wrong... I was running the commands in terminal for IONetworkingFamily.kext. I just ran them again as follows and rebooted and all is well...

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

and

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

Thanks for your almost help...lol. Now if I could only get my logitech wireless keyboard and mouse working (programming the buttons). Do you know if the logiteh drivers will work in 10.4.3? They didn't in 10.4.1.

Besides that, I will be patiently waiting for a driver for my 256mb PCI-e ATi X600 Pro All in Wonder. If i am real lucky, I will be able to get the TV tuner working.

My xbench went from the 40's with 10.4.1 to high 90's with 10.4.3... Gotta love that! Did you guys add any patches after installing 10.4.3? or just edit the IONetworkingFamily.kext?

Thanks for your almost help...lol. Now if I could only get my logitech wireless keyboard and mouse working (programming the buttons). Do you know if the logiteh drivers will work in 10.4.3? They didn't in 10.4.1.

Besides that, I will be patiently waiting for a driver for my 256mb PCI-e ATi X600 Pro All in Wonder. If i am real lucky, I will be able to get the TV tuner working.

My xbench went from the 40's with 10.4.1 to high 90's with 10.4.3... Gotta love that! Did you guys add any patches after installing 10.4.3? or just edit the IONetworkingFamily.kext?

Your Sigmatel is working as well??

Please send me a copy of the output from kextstat!

I've just made Xbench test...

Results are stunning.

On 10.4.1 and 10.4.1->3 I've got circa 70 point (max).

On 10.4.3 I've got... 120 points...

&

This is all very promising...can't wait to get it working on my AMD64 SSE2 rig...hope to get some performance gain too. Too bad the new version only has Ati drivers...I hope... will there be Nvidia drivers in one of the next updates... :huh:

I think then it's nice result. It makes my machine (and it's got D820 processor, not D860) almost as fast as Quad PowerMac G5 @ 2.50 or faster than PowerMac with Dual G5 @ 2.70 GHz :)
For what I understood the PPC platform was superior to the x86 platform and that apple made the switch from IBM's powerpc to x86 Intel because of their roadmap.

How could a single core x86 pentium even come near those newest quad-core rigs?

For what I understood the PPC platform was superior to the x86 platform and that apple made the switch from IBM's powerpc to x86 Intel because of their roadmap.

My ppf has SSE2 support in libSystem and CoreGraphics so it should work, just waitting fo rthe final touchs.

Now if I could only get my logitech wireless keyboard and mouse working (programming the buttons). Do you know if the logiteh drivers will work in 10.4.3? They didn't in 10.4.1.

The drivers will never work in any Intel build as they are for PPC only. You'll have to wait for Logitech to bring out new drivers when the Intel Macs are released. There are some other options, see here for info on the mouse buttons.

Maybe because xbench is a stupid and fairly useless benchmark? :) Only some of the tests actually speed up on an SMP system, so its not so great to get speeds on a multi-CPU or multi-core setup, aside from the explicit Altivec test it does. Here is a barefeats quad test: http://www.barefeats.com/quad01.html, but a lot of the xbench results just show memory bandwidth, etc., there.

If they put out an x86 build of Cinebench, that'd be sorta neat though.

Ok, back to our regularly-scheduled 945 chipset thread. :)

Sorry back again... was out a while (hospital and stuff). If you have that ppf sometime it'd be great, TheSin. :( At least I lucked out on my MSI board since the ALC882 worked out of the box (mostly).

cyrana i can confirm for you.

i have the MSI 945G Neo F also (as well as a MSI 915G Combo FR), 8f1099 Patched with etherealremnants PPF (PS/2 support, generic IO (prob not needed)

The 945G works fairly well, not as good as the 915G below.

I can install to SATA now.

Current issues:

- Sound does work, but is sporadically plagued with slight clicks and static

- Volumeslider.menu is grayed out and SysPrefs>Sound>Output Volume slider grayed out. Shows "HD Audio Output"

- USB controller somewhat flaky. Epson Color 880 only shows and works on 2 of 8 USB ports. Thumbdrive only shows under USB on DIFFERENT ports but works on all ports.

- iDVD "cannot run on this hardware" until you put Hurz and Pfurz files into homedir; then runs but main window is black (useless)

- Restart > Hangs machine (Shutdown OK)

- Quicktime movies over an uncertain size play green unless you Disable Quartz Extreme in Quartz Debug.

ie:

works:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchli...ason/small.html

plays green:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchli...son/medium.html

915G Combo Fr:

- Same sometimes crackly sound issue but Volumeslider.menu and Output Volume slider are not grayed out, are slideable, but have no effect, and sound output shows "Line Out" instead of "HD Audio Output"

- Same iDVD issue

- Missing the "Balance" audio slider under output so can't change the L/R balance (the only downside of this mobo compared to the Neo G)

- NO OTHER ISSUES.

glad your back from the hospital...

- Quicktime movies over an uncertain size play green unless you Disable Quartz Extreme in Quartz Debug.

ie:

works:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchli...ason/small.html

plays green:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchli...son/medium.html

Same thing here... Small video plays, but it looks like the codec for the medium and large video is missing...

Thanks to dscrap I was able to compair the loaded kexts.

It seems the Sigmatel 9221 loads AppleHDAController and AppleHDA, I found reference to the Sigmatel 9221 in the AppleHDAController binary.

On my system with the 9223 my only loads the AppleHDAController kext and NOT the AppleHDA, which seems odd since AppleHDAController is a plugin for AppleHDA. I can force load AppleHDA but still nothing in the Sound panel. I'm gonna try adding the Azalia Driver from Cyrana just for fun, it would at least add the HD Audio to my sound panel, maybe together I can get sound now :(

Thanks to dscrap I was able to compair the loaded kexts.

It seems the Sigmatel 9221 loads AppleHDAController and AppleHDA, I found reference to the Sigmatel 9221 in the AppleHDAController binary.

On my system with the 9223 my only loads the AppleHDAController kext and NOT the AppleHDA, which seems odd since AppleHDAController is a plugin for AppleHDA. I can force load AppleHDA but still nothing in the Sound panel. I'm gonna try adding the Azalia Driver from Cyrana just for fun, it would at least add the HD Audio to my sound panel, maybe together I can get sound now :(

Sounds good... Hopefully you'll get it working. I am just using a set of headphones right now and haven't really hooked up my speakers yet. I at least get stereo, lol. Not sure what the difference would be with the speakers and the HD audio... Let me know how you make out.

PS> Happy turkey day!

It is normal behaviour of the installer, I have exact experience and I'm happy that my sigmatel just WORKS!

thanks to apple, my computer now can be windows-less!

btw.. good to see you, cyrana.